Tekken

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Tekken 7 has one button throw breaks right? I forget if you're supposed to press both 1+2 or 1 or 2 by themselves if you're grabbed xD
Yeah lmaooo, 1+2 grabs have larger windows 2 so sometimes you can wait a little bit to see what kinda grab it is before you press 1+2. 1/2 specific grabs have them the largest too. But generic grabs you have to press 1 or 2 quickly to break those. It gets easier with time. It's a matter of not panic pressing 1 before trying to break (I did this so much ffs) when you see the throw connect. You have time to think about it my g xD

The best way to clock which grab you're getting hit by (Excluding King) goes like this:
  • 1 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with one arm over-extended.
  • 2 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with both arms. Right arm is higher than the left.
  • 1+2 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with both arms. Both arms at the same level.
Now I'm out here breaking like 75% of grabs unless it's King. With king you gotta break by knowing the speeds of the grabs. He's got 1 grabs that look like 1+2 grabs, 2 grabs that have different throw animations entirely, and so on.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah lmaooo, 1+2 grabs have larger windows 2 so sometimes you can wait a little bit to see what kinda grab it is before you press 1+2. 1/2 specific grabs have them the largest too. But generic grabs you have to press 1 or 2 quickly to break those. It gets easier with time. It's a matter of not panic pressing 1 before trying to break (I did this so much ffs) when you see the throw connect. You have time to think about it my g xD

The best way to clock which grab you're getting hit by (Excluding King) goes like this:
  • 1 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with one arm over-extended.
  • 2 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with both arms. Right arm is higher than the left.
  • 1+2 grab: Enemy's character tries to grab you with both arms. Both arms at the same level.
Now I'm out here breaking like 75% of grabs unless it's King. With king you gotta break by knowing the speeds of the grabs. He's got 1 grabs that look like 1+2 grabs, 2 grabs that have different throw animations entirely, and so on.
Thank you for breaking that down for me xD and yeah for King I sometimes want to just give up since his throws seem almost invulnerable

I'm glad the damage tho isn't as extreme as back in TTT, I'm playing the old HD remaster of it and its surprising seeing how far tekken has came since then

illninofan

Noob question, but just got 7 and I'm having problems with the "button split" commands. An example would be Steve Fox's Hellfire. 2146 isn't an issue, but the x and triangle inputs are. Do I change the layout of the controller? Or is this an issue of dexterity?

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Noob question, but just got 7 and I'm having problems with the "button split" commands. An example would be Steve Fox's Hellfire. 2146 isn't an issue, but the x and triangle inputs are. Do I change the layout of the controller? Or is this an issue of dexterity?
When referring to Tekken commands, please try to use this type of command language as it can be confusing sometimes xD:
ybOxJ8V.png

As you already know that in DOA it's not a problem, but using the numerical directional command language for Tekken interferes with the attack buttons.

Anyways, as for shortcutting, you can set one of your shoulder buttons on your controller to act as joint buttons (e.g. 2+3, 1+4,) and by doing that you can cheat electrics, certain throws, and even do Hellfires a lot better without having to change the way you press the buttons on your pad. Realistically, you really don't wanna be doing Hellfires in matches (it's not viable at all) but if you want to try qcbf2+3 in practice mode with the newer config, by all means do.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
When referring to Tekken commands, please try to use this type of command language as it can be confusing sometimes xD:
ybOxJ8V.png

As you already know that in DOA it's not a problem, but using the numerical directional command language for Tekken interferes with the attack buttons.

Anyways, as for shortcutting, you can set one of your shoulder buttons on your controller to act as joint buttons (e.g. 2+3, 1+4,) and by doing that you can cheat electrics, certain throws, and even do Hellfires a lot better without having to change the way you press the buttons on your pad. Realistically, you really don't wanna be doing Hellfires in matches (it's not viable at all) but if you want to try qcbf2+3 in practice mode with the newer config, by all means do.
Yeah setting dual buttons on the bumper buttons is a life saver XD I have 1+2 as R1 and 3+4 as R2 XD. L1 I think i have set as 1+4 for throws and then R3 I use for No charge and item moves

illninofan

Thanks guys. You're left on your own when it comes to training. The only thing I've been able to come up with is to just dive in and begin the process of getting a feel for the moves. Seems rational to me to at least start there and in the process figure out the basics.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Thanks guys. You're left on your own when it comes to training. The only thing I've been able to come up with is to just dive in and begin the process of getting a feel for the moves. Seems rational to me to at least start there.
Yeah that's the unfortunate part. When I first started playing Tekken Lili seriously there wasn't a formal tutorial so I had to learn everything myself. Sure there's top players like Kane, Marvelous Lili and Lucky Eevee but tbh I don't watch their videos tbh, like I respect them and know they're boss ass lili players but I don't want the way THEY play to define how I play, so over the 5 years I've gotten back into tekken(Mom made me sell all my Tekken games when I was 14 due to religious reasons...) I taught myself the systems of the game and how I could use all of Lili's moves and what each one can be used for, same with Claudio and Anna XD I never look up combo vids and such either since I always feel inferior and way behind when I watch them, so I prefer to teach myself a lot of the stuff I've learned

I feel like Tekken 7 could have been a great opportunity to include a revolutionary Tutorial but the game basically forces you to learn through trial and error, like a friend had to tell me to jump to avoid Akumas rage art and I had to have a friend whoop my ass with Ling Xiaoyu to learn to react to lows better XD

illninofan

An elaborate tutorial mode would have been nice for sure, but they were at least kind enough to include demos in their practice mode as well (a practice mode period, really).

Edit: The juggle game comes naturally at least. Thanks DOA!

Last edited:

Mama

There's always Avoiding the Puddle on YouTube. They have great tutorials for beginners to advance. Covering KBD to punishing. Amongst other stuff.

not like there's going to be a tutorial in-game, so why not. :/

Shirataki Tsume

An elaborate tutorial mode would have been nice for sure, but they were at least kind enough to include demos in their practice mode as well (a practice mode period, really).

Edit: The juggle game comes naturally at least. Thanks DOA!
Just to simplify what Tekken's kind of game play is, the game is mainly about frames, okizeme, juggling, and movement.

There's no move priority or triangle system like DOA. It's all about frames. Tekken's game play is like the one who does the faster move hits first instead of what move beats the other. But of course, there's the crush system like jumping moves beat lows and stuff.

All movement in Tekken can be cancelled. Which is why when you see someone spacing, they look like they're having a seizure or something Lol

Tekken's type of juggling somewhat separates itself from other 3D fighters because it has this kind of physics which makes the game juggle happy aside from combo extensions like bound and tailspin, and walls started to become more combo-friendly since Tekken 6.

Specifically in Tekken Revolution and Tekken 7, okizeme has been simplified. You could no longer pick up an opponent trying to get up like you could do in the previous games. In Tekken 7, back roll was replaced by back crawl and the recovery is much faster which is why getting up is now a lot safer. Oki used to be more rewarding for the ones who did it right and more punishing for the ones who makes mistakes.

illninofan

I'm glad you brought up the triangle system. Playing this, you begin to realize how fortunate you were to have holds as an additional defensive option, speed wins the day. This will take some adjustment, no doubt.

As to the juggles, it's a matter of finding which moves best link together for maximum damage in that situation. Had a few times where I let the opponent hit the ground prematurely and lost the chance at more damage. Further exploartion of moves should help.

Haven't gotten to the ground game yet, so I can't call it.

I would imagine that, like any fighting game, it's read and react. Get a good feel for a particular move in a particular situation.

Suffice it to say, my speed and knowledge of the moves and mechanics is still coming along.

Last edited:

Shirataki Tsume

The ground game is like DOA but no ground invincibility just on paper, but there's more to that. There are hit properties you can tech roll and there are others you can't. Floor spikes for example can't be tech rolled and you're gonna get forced do deal with the oki 50/50 while your grounded or attempting a ukemi like a regular stand up or a side roll. There are moves that are fast strings that can lead to a juggle on a grounded opponent.

Radiance

who here plays Tekken in ps4 or steam? I need more friends to play with. JDE and Eman always posting statuses but be dodging me /Kappa

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
who here plays Tekken in ps4 or steam? I need more friends to play with. JDE and Eman always posting statuses but be dodging me /Kappa
I play tekken but can't online atm because I have to wait for our house to change service providers for WiFi but it should be over with sometime soon xD

dg1995

I have bought this game for 50 dollars on launch and so far it's the most disappointing game I've ever bought. It had one of the worst post launch support that i've ever seen in games as whole.(Just a stupid bowling mode and 2 characters that I'm not interested in)

Even Metal Gear Survive(Which I bought for 40 dollars) has a much better updates than this game.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I have bought this game for 50 dollars on launch and so far it's the most disappointing game I've ever bought. It had one of the worst post launch support that i've ever seen in games as whole.(Just a stupid bowling mode and 2 characters that I'm not interested in)

Even Metal Gear Survive(Which I bought for 40 dollars) has a much better updates than this game.
eesh tell me how ya really feel lol.

I love Tekken 7s gameplay but everything else? subpar at best honestly... great game if all you do is play vs mode against friends or play online terrible if you're into literally anything else.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Im just mad these aren't in:

lili_by_thepwa-d5xq92d (2).jpg

This should have been her default in T7, her new dress sucks major ass, it doesn't suit her hairstyle at all and was badly translated in game which is a shame

Fotor_152683869657779.jpg

It pissed me off these jean shorts and sneakers and open jacket with nothing under isn't in, it should have been in -_- Give it to the girls too

61c25d5ace6e56f74787a01e62edbef77cf3440d_hq.gif

How you go from THIS hair to what we have now?? XD

Plus the customization is really limited and there's not much story for non mishima characters, and Lili's hair I love but it gets old after a while -_- it moves so stiff and we still haven't gotten the arcade content of late 2017 yet besides Noctis

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD