Tengu Players Unite !

Gultigargar

Weird, must be YouTube being YouTube I suppose... Could have sworn I had copied the right link.

He actually has a bunch of new stuff that I was trying to show off. I'm not the one who made it, though, the mod was done by usagiZ, but some of the suggestions on what to change came from me.

In addition to his P+K attack from DOA4, he also has some new strings:
- :P::P::2::K::K:/:P::P::2_::K::K: string from DOA4
- :2::K::K: (2K into backturned 2K) and :2_::K::K: (2K into backturned 2_K)
- :4::P::P: (4P into backturned 2P)
- :6::6::P::P: (66P into 6P)
- Launch instead of knockback on :236::K:/:P::P::K: (Can't be seen in the video because we can't change wall-splat range yet, so if opponents are close enough to a wall they'll still fly into it)

It also has all the damage nerfs I gave him in an attempt to balance him better, and as you can see he can still take out 5 opponents in about a minute.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Weird, must be YouTube being YouTube I suppose... Could have sworn I had copied the right link.

He actually has a bunch of new stuff that I was trying to show off. I'm not the one who made it, though, the mod was done by usagiZ, but some of the suggestions on what to change came from me.

In addition to his P+K attack from DOA4, he also has some new strings:
- :P::P::2::K::K:/:P::P::2_::K::K: string from DOA4
- :2::K::K: (2K into backturned 2K) and :2_::K::K: (2K into backturned 2_K)
- :4::P::P: (4P into backturned 2P)
- :6::6::P::P: (66P into 6P)
- Launch instead of knockback on :236::K:/:P::P::K: (Can't be seen in the video because we can't change wall-splat range yet, so if opponents are close enough to a wall they'll still fly into it)

It also has all the damage nerfs I gave him in an attempt to balance him better, and as you can see he can still take out 5 opponents in about a minute.

I had noticed these as well, but none of those are actually using all new animations (rather they're new string transitions), so the P+K stood out the most to me.

I think that this is the absolute first time that someone create a custom skin for Tengu, thanks so much Gultigargar!

It's not. Here's one I've seen before (the uploader has numerous videos with Tengu in this skin). It's just his C2 from DOA4 put into DOA2U, but it's a bit darker and his geta are purple instead of gold.

Gultigargar

The 7K nerf definitely sucked, but at least it didn't get hit as hard as 8K did.

EDIT: @Forlorn Penguin: Actually, it was +3 on block in 2U, not -3. The numbers in the wiki are frame disadvantage, so negative numbers mean frame advantage.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
True. 8K was ridiculous, but it was really only due to its ludicrous speed, in my opinion. Most of what they did to it in DOA4 is just pointless.

8K in DOA2U:

i12
Crushes highs
NH launcher
-3 on block
30 damage on NH

8K in DOA4:

i18
(I can't remember for certain, but I don't believe it crushes highs)
Launches in stun and on CH
-8 on block
22 damage on NH

I don't understand why they changed so much. They should have just changed the start up to i16 or so and made it punishable. They took away it's ability to launch on NH, making Tengu have only one NH launcher; 7K, which doesn't even give him any juggle follow ups. He only gets the divebomb, or the P ender. Why make a high that doesn't really do anything be i18? That makes no sense. It should have still been a NH launcher, just a little slower, is all. And the random drop of 8 points of damage serves no purpose as well.

synce

It's one of those things were devs see people abusing something, nerf it to hell without buffing anything to compensate, and end up with a useless character without even realizing it. This kind of shoddy 'balancing' has been happening for a long while (see SF3 Sean) and TN themselves are still doing it today (Alpha)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD