The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love the stage design in these games, it's so large and impressive, I really wish we could have similar stuff in real life. In Venice now they built something pretty cool that is in this direction.

Didn't many people protest? XD Here people go on the barricades when (strange) modern art is set up in historic neighborhoods.
But I too love fantastical structures and statues in stage backgrounds. Soul Calibur comes to my mind. Man, how much I miss a new SC game. >__<

Is it bad that Tekken 7 ran through my mind when I read this? It's good to see that Injustice 2 is taking the visuals higher. I'm looking forward to what DOA6 and... soul calibur 6... can do.

As someone who played Injustice on wii u... yeah that game was rough. It didn't help that for a while Netherrealm just couldn't for some reason make the female characters appealing, Especially faces. ( Mileena doesn't count cause she has that mouth going on, And Jade doesn't either cause she's Jade. ;P )

I thought they were overall pretty okay in MK9 and where better in MKX but yeah in injustice something went wrong so it's good they fixed it.

It what way did Tekken 7 go through your mind? Do you think it looks underwhelming or do you think it looks really good and pushes fighting game graphics this generation?

Yes, NeatherRealms made a huge jump forward regarding art design. As good as all characters look great now and the women are really pretty, yet unique and full of personality. I'm going to take some screens of the character models later. What's great, similar to Soul Calibur you can also ogle at the models in customization mode, lol.

I by the way found out how to do screens without HUD during the fight:

33811156144_2f539dc4bc_o.png

34266532010_1da20f0d71_o.png

33809089134_7a91992da2_o.png

34521171211_93d8c21d3f_o.png

33842150913_58471fced8_o.png

34611126006_55a0b12631_o.png

Looks sooo good... =Q=

As one can see the game also Features per object motion blur (you may like it or not, I actually don't, because it ruins screenshots, lol). All other fighting games this generation aren't even able to implement costly motion blur on consoles. Tekken 7 for example.
In general there are many great effects visible that you don't see in many other games and certainly not all at once, like motion blur, screen space reflections, depth of field blur , dynamic light shafts etc.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Didn't many people protest? XD Here people go on the barricades when (strange) modern art is set up in historic neighborhoods.
But I too love fantastical structures and statues in stage backgrounds. Soul Calibur comes to my mind. Man, how much I miss a new SC game. >__<

The most people get angry about in Glasgow ( Scotland ) Is when the bottom floor facades of Victorian buildings get replaced with modern glass windows for starbucks, kfc etc which lol I can agree is bad since your destroying the cities history for a fast food restaurant. I can't think of any specific modern art set ups though, Most are set up in specific areas.

It what way did Tekken 7 go through your mind? Do you think it looks underwhelming or do you think it looks really good and pushes fighting game graphics this generation?

Pushes fighting games and in fact all games to new heights graphically. No lol like it's underwhelming and I was hoping the latest Tekken game would look a lot better than it does.

Yes, NeatherRealms made a huge jump forward regarding art design. As good as all characters look great now and the women are really pretty, yet unique and full of personality. I'm going to take some screens of the character models later. What's great, similar to Soul Calibur you can also ogle at the models in customization mode, lol.

33842020763_1269e321a5_o.png

Looks sooo good... =Q=

As one can see the game also Features per object motion blur (you may like it or not, I actually don't, because it ruins screenshots, lol). All other fighting games this generation aren't even able to implement costly motion blur on consoles. Tekken 7 for example.
In general there are many great effects visible that you don't see in many other games and certainly not all at once, like motion blur, screen space reflections, depth of field blur , dynamic light shafts etc.

It really does look good, I like the look of that stage with the Elephant etc in the background. And I like how you can punch people into new areas of the stage area etc like in other fighting games.[/QUOTE]

Jadeinchains

I don't know if there were protests, but it's not just art, they're actually support structures as the building was starting to fall.

It's kind of odd the hand coming out the water but I like it, its almost kind an eldritch type thing. Also is Venice okay? It looks beautiful but does it flood or anything?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It's kind of odd the hand coming out the water but I like it, its almost kind an eldritch type thing. Also is Venice okay? It looks beautiful but does it flood or anything?

Venice is often flooded and many of the old buildings are crumbling but people are always on their toes to prevent the worst damage. For years they are also constructing a dam and floodgate system in the lagoon to prevent it from further flooding. They are almost finished. Venice is very high maintenance but is safe for now and the coming decades. :)

Jadeinchains

Venice is often flooded and many of the old buildings are crumbling but people are always on their toes to prevent the worst damage. For years they are also constructing a dam and floodgate system in the lagoon to prevent it from further flooding. They are almost finished. Venice is very high maintenance but is safe for now and the coming decades. :)

Well that's good! :D Hopefully it stays safe. ( and raising water doesn't do too much damage to the city. I'm guessing the ground there is to weak for skyscrapers or anything? In fact I actually don't really know since its built on the water. ( researching Venice now! )

Edit: Yeah I thought I'd heard of it but I looked it up and Venice gets seasonal flooding now. That's sad.

Last edited:

Argentus

33811156144_2f539dc4bc_o.png

Looks sooo good... =Q=

yeah the graphics are really good and the supers look good too.

The animations are really lacking though, in netherrealm games lol. everyone moves so...stiff...

Jadeinchains

yeah the graphics are really good and the supers look good too.

The animations are really lacking though, in netherrealm games lol. everyone moves so...stiff...

I think its just the way they make their combos and stuff in the games, I haven't seen much of injustice 2 so I can't speak for that but MK9 and MKX seemed fine to me. Its just that you go from move to move doing the combos.

TakedaZX

My only complaint is the faces of the guys. Aside from the actual old guys (Genfu, Bass, Leon and Bayman), the other males who used to be basically pretty boys look like old fucks. It's not that big of a deal but it could help if they gave them some softer features in their faces.

The girls however mostly look perfect. Not too old... Not to young... unless that's on purpose... say Marie Rose? Honoka? It's reasonable for them.

But Kasumi looks perfect. Ayane looks like a bitch... But a hot bitch. Kokoro has a baby face still but it grew into her body finally... so she doesn't look out of place like DOA4. Tina... Lisa... Helena... Rachel...? Lawd... ♡

Even Mila looks right. So yea... Like fuck... fix the guys.

Stages concern me to an extent but I think everyone here has had better ideas than I would suggest so... I'll leave that alone.

Chapstick

The guys' faces all look good to me except Hayabusa's and Eliot's. Hayabusa's ugly mug has been brought up a lot but Eliot's got kind of a weird face too when you look at him up close. The shape of his eyes and lips bug me

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The guys' faces all look good to me except Hayabusa's and Eliot's. Hayabusa's ugly mug has been brought up a lot but Eliot's got kind of a weird face too when you look at him up close. The shape of his eyes and lips bug me

Yep, Hayabusa is just an ugly mofo, no clue what they were thinking (especially considering how handsome he was in all games before) and Eliot looks like a plastic doll. He lacks the naturalness that other characters have. Especially his face has no sign of any skin pores or creases around the eyes or on his his lips as other characters have.

Let's get back to Injustice. One of ist greatest strength is in the lighting and use of Colors. Everything just pops.

33856201173_b001ffe6f6_o.png

33856215413_b2df944c3f_o.png

34625411796_b61713d84a_o.png

33856343353_10865b39b3_o.png

Argentus

Yep, Hayabusa is just an ugly mofo, no clue what they were thinking (especially considering how handsome he was in all games before) and Eliot looks like a plastic doll. He lacks the naturalness that other characters have. Especially his face has no sign of any skin pores or creases around the eyes or on his his lips as other characters have.

Let's get back to Injustice. One of ist greatest strength is in the lighting and use of Colors. Everything just pops.

33856201173_b001ffe6f6_o.png

33856215413_b2df944c3f_o.png

34625411796_b61713d84a_o.png

33856343353_10865b39b3_o.png

the red stage looks better because with that purple Brainiac stage there's too much going on, it drowns out the characters so they aren't really the focal point, which is bad.

Granted, this is just talking still pictures, likely not the case with the game actually in motion.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
the red stage looks better because with that purple Brainiac stage there's too much going on, it drowns out the characters so they aren't really the focal point, which is bad.

Granted, this is just talking still pictures, likely not the case with the game actually in motion.

The characters are comparatively small on screen and there's a lot of detail and lots going on in the backgrounds, still at no time did I have the slightest problem to focus on the characters.

Jadeinchains

@Tyaren do you have the other "skins" like Power girl etc? I swear power girl was one of the big characters people really wanted in Injustice so It's cool to see she got into Injustice 2 in some way.

Also just personally I can see the characters fine against the purple stage so I'm okay with it. I think the purple stage is going for that "organic spaceship" type vibe or at least that's what I'm getting from it which is cool.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Tyaren do you have the other "skins" like Power girl etc? I swear power girl was one of the big characters people really wanted in Injustice so It's cool to see she got into Injustice 2 in some way.

Also just personally I can see the characters fine against the purple stage so I'm okay with it. I think the purple stage is going for that "organic spaceship" type vibe or at least that's what I'm getting from it which is cool.

You either get "premium skins" like Power Girl with the expensive special editions of the game or you unlock them in the game with the game currency that you earn by simply playing. It takes quite some time to earn it though. Since I rather spend my hard earned currency on my favorite characters and their skins and shaders, I couldn't afford the Power Girl skin of Supergirl yet. I don't really like Supergirl though, so I'm in no hurry.

Here is by the way a cool (but unfortunately very small) gif that shows how much care the developer put into animating and personalizing each character. This happens to the characters you picked while you select a stage:

SlushyUnacceptableAfricanpiedkingfisher-size_restricted.gif

Normally all characters move in slow motion here, just Flash is too fast for all of them. XD
Here's a screen of Aquaman and Batman after you selected a stage:

33800271583_850b637c51_o.png

I think they already added something similar to Mortal Kombat X.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Yeah there was something similar in MKX but they didn't interact with each other so that's a really cool change, and lol I really like that about flash how even in slow motion he's still fast. :D

And that's good about the skin thing that you can get them in game if you want to since I was wondering with them all being dlc things so the option to get them with in game currency is good.

Also on a different topic but E3 is actually really close now so hopefully we see something like Horizon's expansion pack that there was talk about etc.

ShinobiGuy

Did someone say Horizon? Pic time, now that @Tyaren is back, I can even brag abut having a flickr account.

32908335874_ca070f756d_k.jpg

33751401495_39cb2fa9a8_k.jpg

33710734966_b1f2c7f8c7_k.jpg

I've actually not played it in a while now and haven't finished it even. Got too caught up in Nioh and Bloodborne. And now Injustice 2 is coming....

Jadeinchains

Okay lol so since I'm happy that the artstyle and graphics thread is getting traction again I wanted to add some pictures to it too! :D

So I took more Horizon pictures since I'm enjoying it's new photography poses, lol I kind of got distracted at the end but you'll see. :p I'm gonna post them in the order I took them.

vBPR3Ur.jpg

mLWSJfr.jpg

MoQj725.jpg

M91zr4F.jpg

leF39Py.jpg

lYqEKye.jpg

lUOB5Mo.jpg

XhVBSdG.jpg

My friend, Wartsworth.

jASrIXf.jpg

QQk5G8k.jpg

qmmgxET.jpg

Other friend... Ratisha.

51IPcvc.jpg

Vowz9vD.jpg

uDTc56N.jpg

Other-other friend,......... Fantastic Mr fox? I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's the photos I took!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Great photography guys, you both are really talented. :) (Lol @ Jade's distraction.) I too have so many photos to share. While I took a little break from here, I still kept on taking photos and I was sharing them on Neogaf. The Guerrilla Games (the developer of Horizon) community manager by the way wrote me there and asked if they could use some of my photos for their page to showcase how good the game/the Decima graphics engine looks, when presented in the proper light.

33709873164_c8dbcceae5_o.png

33625455541_3f0bbebc87_o.png

34092843445_5997bd0b19_o.png

33217990322_7c6a695a33_o.png

33212485164_a34a62fb63_o.png

Did you know Guerilla Games holds a photo contest each week?
https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/861578009425448960

You can win an HQ print of your photo with all the teams signatures.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

They're really great photos! :eek: And that's amazing that they actually asked to use your photos/ :D
That photo within Meridian is great too. Horizon really is photogenic in so many ways, It's just beautiful. If there is an expansion I hope it's just as gorgeous. Considering how good the main game looks though I'm sure it would be.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD