The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Lol I like the look of that read haired girl and the king looking person. Also is that giant muscle guy a team mate?
Oh no he's a bandit from the first game before this but he pops up as an enemy from time to time. I think he's cute because of his eyes but he's annoying to fight since he follows where you go. And yeah the red hair girl I actually like, she makes clearing crowds alot easier

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Here is some cool gear customization (from Neogaf) that you can do in Injustice 2 if you got the right gear (which takes a bit of time, effort and luck):

k9LFEsp.jpg

MJwptfL.png

9yYWgw4.png

34020325554_75177d1649_b.jpg

igHafVG.png

DotOAqw.jpg

mvelVMDl.png

WfzQZJLl.png

(My Batman is level 18 and none of his gear is nearly as awesome looking. D: )

DAjYbewXUAEGjbj.jpg:orig

(I really dislike Damian Wayne. I dislike him even more when he impersonates Nightwing/Dick Grayson. But it looks cool. ;))

34700003412_ceb8a14447_b.jpg

34823539126_c8e8d865d5_b.jpg

(The Flash or White Ranger? O: )

DAhz0EkXkAAuLll.jpg

Some of the gear has funny names, lol:

XtpwYaU.jpg

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

This is imo the best place to ogle the characters in Nier Automata, after you beat Eve my 4th favorite character in the game you're supposed to approach him as 2B but I don't....i just let them walk around in pain as they moan and hunch over endlessly as long as you avoid going to finish Eve. The music makes it so much better

If only A2 had a mission like this but then again her and 9S have the best confrontation for that at the very end although I didn't like the result...my two favorite characters in the game too

Argentus

On Injustice, a matter of art style rather than graphics...I don't like how they tried to make their faces TOO realistic. They just wound up looking like random average joes rather than superhero and supervillains. Like Harley doesnt.....look like Harley. And let's not even get started on Super/Power Girl...

Like the graphics are impressive but the actual designs are a whole lotta eh.

They should have stylized them ever so slightly.

Chapstick

I think Harley looks almost exactly like Margot Robbie when she played her in Suicide Squad

and looking at Superman more closely it actually does look a little like Henry Cavill

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I am glad they completely overhauled the game's visual design. And I think they did in 95% of all cases a great job giving the characters a realistic yet unique and charismatic look. The characters feel alive.
And let's remember, this is what the characters looked like before:

injustice_aquaman_watchtower_hires_tg.jpg

790455-injustice-gods-among-us-ultimate-edition-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

If you can't get stylized visuals right, don't do them.

Some more pretty gameplay screens:

34038786023_ab93bc85af_o.png

34817329526_52405d198f_o.png

34475577150_92142382ac_o.png

34470927210_2b16c2d7b9_o.png

34716911782_0782d4a75a_o.png

34069429393_7597b6ff06_o.png

Seriously, NetherRealms went from the ugliest fighting game to prettiest fighting game instantly. That can't be recommended enough. They listened a lot to fans.

Last edited:

ShinobiGuy

I think they look like people from the 50's. Square jaws on the men and the women are actual women, not teens in their 20's. I've always liked this style for DC. Alex Ross's drawings and stories. Fits it very nicely. Wish the movies would go that route stylistically.

Jadeinchains

Seriously, NetherRealms went from the ugliest fighting game to prettiest fighting game instantly. That can't be recommended enough. They listened a lot to fans.

By ugliest do you mean the first Injustice game? They definitely had a bigger budget this time or something because the game looks so much better. I prefer MK's stages and style a lot more than injustices but I still this k it looks really good.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
By ugliest do you mean the first Injustice game? They definitely had a bigger budget this time or something because the game looks so much better. I prefer MK's stages and style a lot more than injustices but I still this k it looks really good.

Yes, the first injustice...but also MK games. The character designs looked pretty hideous there too.

By the way, apart from Harley I also really like how Poison Ivy turned out in IJ2:

O0NMt42.gif

34018960074_373f69736a_o.png

34821478705_26e8c79b5d_o.png

I think they look like people from the 50's. Square jaws on the men and the women are actual women, not teens in their 20's. I've always liked this style for DC. Alex Ross's drawings and stories. Fits it very nicely. Wish the movies would go that route stylistically.

I totally agree. Character designs and facial features have that 50s aesthetic, the golden age of comics, and what was considered attractive back then.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Yes, the first injustice...but also MK games. The character designs looked pretty hideous there too.

mcscuse me?, lol okay I can agree that over the years there as been some... frankly hideous designs/outfits ( mainly during the ps2 era ) -

hsu-hao.png

latest

latest

Worst two I can think of right off the top of my head. The first one I'm pretty sure even the creators don't like and the motion capture guy... is self explanatory. And Sonya's outfit in the ps2 era games was just awful. Honestly to many terrible design choices made on one outfit.
With that said though there's plenty of designs that are really cool/good personally, Obviously It's MK so a lot of the outfits are sexed up but I actually think that works with some of the characters -

846b53578fad.jpg

marco-nelor-dvorah-7.jpg

mileena-mkx-concept-artwork.png

There's others but I don't want to post to many pictures. But yeah I guess it just depends but I really like the character designs of MK. It has a very dark atmosphere. I wouldn't want it and it wouldn't fit in lots of other games but for MK it works.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I am not just talking about the costume design, but also about how human faces and bodies are designed. Even in the fairly recent MKX there were a lot of hideous creatures.:

mortal-kombat-x-johnny-cage-trailer-all-characters-and-achievements-revealed

mortal-kombat-x-cassie-cage.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Jadeinchains

I am not just talking about the costume design, but also about how human faces and bodies are designed. Even in the fairly recent MKX there were a lot of hideous creatures.:

mortal-kombat-x-cassie-cage.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh! XD

Well yeah okay I agree there. The character models faces leave a lot to be desired. I took photos in MKX to compare them to injustice 2's and actually just didn't post them because the characters in MKX look really bad. Especially now comparing them to these new ones. Still injustice 2 gives me hope that MK 11 will have better models. ( Jade better be bloody in MK11 though I swear. : x )

Chapstick

By the way, apart from Harley I also really like how Poison Ivy turned out in IJ2:

O0NMt42.gif

I totally agree. Character designs and facial features have that 50s aesthetic, the golden age of comics, and what was considered attractive back then.
Poison Ivy must be modeled after Chloe Grace Moretz bc that's all I see in her face especially when it moves

chloe-grace-moretz.jpg

Argentus

O0NMt42.gif

See thing is, Poison Ivy is supposed to be a seductress. But that face is an "eh take it or leave it". She's not particularly PRETTY or especially attractive or anything.

Even Arkham Knight, which really toned down her sex appeal, did a better job of making her look "beautiful".

IJ Ivy is less "Supervillain seductress" and more "Soccer mom"

I still love how MKX Johnny Cage looks like Frank West XD.

mcscuse me?, lol okay I can agree that over the years there as been some... frankly hideous designs/outfits ( mainly during the ps2 era ) -

hsu-hao.png

latest

latest

Worst two I can think of right off the top of my head. The first one I'm pretty sure even the creators don't like and the motion capture guy... is self explanatory. And Sonya's outfit in the ps2 era games was just awful. Honestly to many terrible design choices made on one outfit.
With that said though there's plenty of designs that are really cool/good personally, Obviously It's MK so a lot of the outfits are sexed up but I actually think that works with some of the characters -

846b53578fad.jpg

marco-nelor-dvorah-7.jpg

mileena-mkx-concept-artwork.png

There's others but I don't want to post to many pictures. But yeah I guess it just depends but I really like the character designs of MK. It has a very dark atmosphere. I wouldn't want it and it wouldn't fit in lots of other games but for MK it works.

See, Mileena always looks amazing. LOVE LOVE LOVED her design back in MK9, especially (helps that she kinda doesn't have the "man face" problem the other girls have)

Nuke-Nin

Harley is who I'm gonna main when I get the game, I love her...funny enough my long lost twin from birth @Nuke-Nin uses poison ivy so that'll be fun!

Also....Aquaman is so hot man...
View attachment 23296

View attachment 23297
View attachment 23298
View attachment 23299
View attachment 23300

I'm gonna use him ALOT too

@Tyaren feel free to post alot of harley and aquaman, I'll definitely put those screenshots to good use. These I screenshotted from youtube vids on my phone
I don't use her, i'm the bomb I was thinking about making a combo video for her soon actually lol

Jadeinchains

Great pictures! :)

Personally for this design of Joker... I'm not really a fan. It's definitely not the worst or anything. ( Suicide squad one is ) but I just don't really like it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Great pictures! :)

Personally for this design of Joker... I'm not really a fan. It's definitely not the worst or anything. ( Suicide squad one is ) but I just don't really like it.

At first I hated it...but then it kinda grew on me. It's right in the middle ground of Ledger Joker:

joker_a.jpg

and Leto Joker:

2DD04C1D00000578-3290606-image-m-94_1445891759184.jpg

I really like his intro sequence in the game. Attention, spoilers of IJ2's story mode ahead:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD