The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

Hitomi looked weird though. Long nose, derpy eyes and jug ears. As long as the characters stay attractive, I don't think fans would mind Asian features much. Aren't many of the DOA fans fetishizing cute Japanese girls anyway? >__>

Hitomi didn't deserve this... Let this German/Japanese woman live her authentic self.
Also I'm sure they'd continue to make all the characters attractive and I'm sure they'd make the ginger,purple and pink hair etc work.

Also I wonder If they will do another thing like in doa5 where doa6 is the next year or something since I'm sure they don't have multiple DOA tournaments a year. So Kasumi would finally be in her 20's in doa6. ( truly the end of an era )

Now I'm kinda interested in looking at real life peoples faces to see what type of features they would go for!

Argentus

Omg yeah that actually reminded me the first time Trico actually displaced the water by jumping into it I was amazed! :eek: It actually washed me away lol!

that was cool. only ever seen a couple other games with water physics like that before.
You claim bullshit about games that you have not or not properly played and that you do not properly know. You can't play the but everyone has a different taste or opinion -card here.

Lemme put the rest of this post in spoilers to not derail the thread again:
Let's look at the very post that I was calling out:

What you do here is making two BS claims and selling them as facts. At best it is misinformed, because you don't know any better, at worst its just simple lies, because you actually know it isn't true.

Regarding the "exact same" areas:
The areas are not exactly the same. Even if there were just two different areas, the inside and the outside, which are very different from each other, alone that makes not every area exactly the same.
The areas you explore will change and transform into something very different over the course of the game and you will even explore a fucking alien structure.

Regarding "no sense of progression":
You stand on a 300 metre tall tower and beneath you every place you have been to in the last couple of hours is visible. You can trace where you exited the caves, where you went back in again, where you came out again, where you have been attacked by another Trico, where a bridge collapsed under your weight, where a dozen guards trapped you, where you took a leap of faith from a tower. You climb, fight and puzzle-solve your way from the deepest caves to the highest towers and from there to an alien structure. That is progression. Even Trico not just mentally but physically progresses. His horns grow, one breaks off in a furious battle, another time he's riddled with spears, then he seems to have lost one eye, then his tail gets ripped off, then he learns to fly. That all is a sense of progression that Fumito Ueda pointed out as something that was of utmost importance to him designing this game.

What you claimed is factually not true and different tastes or opinions don't cut it and I will keep calling you out on your BS.

Nice try, but getting mad at people not liking what you like doesn't fly with me anymore.

What I stated is still factually correct. As far as i'd played in Last Guardians, everything was exactly the same. Its why I stopped playing it. Every area was the same design, and the same routine. The "separated" bit mixed it up a little, but then it was just back to the same old grind.

You say stuff gets actually different later on? Cool. Needs to happen earlier so i'll stay hooked long enough to make it that far. Saying "you can look down and see where you were before" doesn't mean a whole lot when where i'm at now is exactly the same as where I was. And i've been through a BUNCH of "leap of faiths" at this point, so that's just routine as well. And Trico can get "riddled with spears" in ANY battle that takes too long. Yes, you "climb, fight, and puzzle solve your way up the tower". Problem is its the exact same climb, the exact same fights, the exact same puzzles, the whole damn time. Yeah trico's horn slowly grows back throughout the game woopdeedoo. Oh no, his eye got scratched after a scripted scene, oh what "Progression", right?

What I'm talking about is, the kind of progression i felt when you got that shield earlier on to shoot the lightning. Made me think we'd keep getting new abilities for Trico, which meant new puzzles, new combat, etc, etc. PROGRESSIVELY MORE TO THE GAME. but nope, that was taken away (i'm still HOPING that wasn't scripted and I just screwed up losing the shield somehow), and it was just back to the same old shit over, and over, and over, for the next several hours. Not even different kinds of ENEMIES or ENVIRONMENTS. Same old ruins, same old statue guys, occasionally get to look for a barrel to feed Trico which was okay because I'm a fan of collectibles, but other than that, eh.

Now all that said, this little debate IS Making me wanna reinstall it just to finish the game, so i'm gonna do that today.

And now, to both contrast my gripes about Last Guardians being too samey, and to stay on topic. Like i said, been playing the crap out of Digimon, (like Last Guardian, i'd kinda dropped it due to the grind, but found out that the only difference between Normal and Easy is your experience and money gets halved on normal. So why the hell should i play on normal? I switched to easy and now i get to spend more time actually playing the game instead of grinding in the gym the entire time)

love love love the environments and the sheer variety. Its not super complex due to being a remastered Vita game, but they still look amazing.

20414340_1934802990103420_323926022074357068_o.jpg

20280577_1934803536770032_4792941790530289394_o.jpg

20286786_1934803133436739_749578477536361378_o.jpg

20413986_1934803056770080_8161995309120083786_o.jpg

20414021_1934802890103430_2266285036576035924_o.jpg

20369822_1934802800103439_3178255685506438149_o.jpg

20280554_1934329340150785_9128230964810812960_o.jpg

20286731_1934329116817474_6798759892899965438_o.jpg

20248336_1934328080150911_7506536637834751929_o.jpg

20280695_1934328156817570_8354473641048009474_o.jpg

20232828_1934328263484226_2687994855863170958_o.jpg

16716220_1855976537986066_1553392427635745895_o.jpg

20232943_1934329516817434_2038014224353634722_o.jpg

20248477_1934331403483912_8759910815546740026_o.jpg

20369916_1934327980150921_985812073554842166_o.jpg

20247937_1934427760140943_7082656446975268695_o.jpg

And when I say "remastered Vita game" I mean the environments were remade from the ground up

Digimon-World-NO-PS4-PSV-Compare-Vid.jpg

4xonueazd4qx.jpg

7-png.png

2-png.png

Lead guy is saying that due to the success of the past several digimon games, there's definitely going to be more, and he wants to make a PS4 exclusive one to really take advantage of the hardware. (Personally i still wish that we'd get an action adventure, Souls/Platinum Games style Digimon game, but i'll take what I can get, and the stories themselves are mature enough nowadays anyway)

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I don't want to get too into this but wasn't what Tyaren was saying was that he didn't like you judging the game when you hadn't completed it rather than that you COULDN'T judge the game?... Also Brute said something about using spoilers for when a post has more than 3 pictures so I'll say that as a heads up.

And If you do play the rest of the game I think you might see what Tyaren and me were talking about with the progression and change of scenery that was mentioned before. Because It does all come together near the end.

Argentus

I don't want to get too into this but wasn't what Tyaren was saying was that he didn't like you judging the game when you hadn't completed it rather than that you COULDN'T judge the game?... Also Brute said something about using spoilers for when a post has more than 3 pictures so I'll say that as a heads up.

And If you do play the rest of the game I think you might see what Tyaren and me were talking about with the progression and change of scenery that was mentioned before. Because It does all come together near the end.

No i understand and get that. The problem is he was saying because I hadn't seen the end, that everything i'd said about what I HAD seen, was "factually incorrect", which is a blatant lie.

Like I said, it's a fun game, it's just really "samey", so it gets really old, really fast for me, because the game is the exactly the same at every point in the game so far.

Noted on the spoilers, i'll fix that though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Hereby Argentus is ignored and we can go on with the topic of this thread:

Guys, I found some high quality game art of Injustice 2 on Artstation. I think some of you might enjoy this...? @KasumiLover69

In-game character model of Aquaman:

ian-naud-ij2-aquaman-4pose.jpg

Pure polygon model without any textures or shaders:

ian-naud-inaud-aquaman.jpg

The beautiful Atlantis stages:

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-02.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-03.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-01.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-int.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-int-01.jpg

There's much more. :)

Jadeinchains

Hereby Argentus is ignored and we can go on with the topic of this thread:

Guys, I found some high quality game art of Injustice 2 on Artstation. I think some of you might enjoy this...? @KasumiLover69

In-game character model of Aquaman:

ian-naud-ij2-aquaman-4pose.jpg

Pure polygon model without any textures or shaders:

ian-naud-inaud-aquaman.jpg

The beautiful Atlantis stages:

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-02.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-03.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-ext-01.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-int.jpg

jonathan-thompson-atl-int-01.jpg

There's much more. :)

I didn't notice until just now looking at that polygon model that his pants are literally just black bandages wrapped around his lower body. 10/10 for Aqua man's ingenuity but I'm not sure how comfortable that would actually be. Also I'm liking the sort of strange mix of art deco in Atlantis' design in this.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I didn't notice until just now looking at that polygon model that his pants are literally just black bandages wrapped around his lower body. 10/10 for Aqua man's ingenuity but I'm not sure how comfortable that would actually be. Also I'm liking the sort of strange mix of art deco in Atlantis' design in this.

Yeah, the bandage pants look weird. (They also make no sense, because they are bound to get soaked with water, stretched and falling off.) That's why I only let him wear these ones:

34329929453_4a6e37ee1d_o.png

To stay with Injustice 2:

Brainiac concept art:

atomhawk-design-atomhawk-injustice2-brainiac.jpg

In-game character model:

vince-wilder-ij2-brainiac-4pose.jpg

His intro:

jonathan-thompson-brainiac-intro.jpg

His victory pose:

jonathan-thompson-brainiac-victory.jpg

Cutscene in story mode:

jonathan-thompson-story041.jpg

An imo absolutely gorgeous looking game and likely of the highest production value of any fighting game so far.

Jadeinchains

It actually looks okay there in those screenshots tbh lol. Maybe they've improved? Also Lisa would great with a hairstyle like Laura's! I always like seeing things like this where it shows all the options they had layed out and were going for and then what they finally decided to go with.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It actually looks okay there in those screenshots tbh lol. Maybe they've improved? Also Lisa would great with a hairstyle like Laura's! I always like seeing things like this where it shows all the options they had layed out and were going for and then what they finally decided to go with.

Lol, those are PC screens, the image quality and effects are at their best there. (Even though many background textures and low polygon objects still look pretty bad). It is the PS4 version that looks outright terrible. But at least they finally (after over a year has passed!) fixed the fugly shadow dithering, which at first they claimed was inevitable, because the PS4 couldn't handle it. I called BS back then and I was right.

Oh, I found something good. It is about Injustice 2 again (hopefully I am not annoying you guys) but it is really interesting and again shows how much skill and care they put into this game. This video talks about how masterful the game handles and displays Harley dealing with personal trauma in one particular story mode scene:

(Don't be deterred by the dumb preview image.]

And again, I think the Joker design is actually pretty good in this game. Yeah, I disliked it too at the beginning, but now I totally see what they were going for. He looks like a fucked up corpse, because he actually is one, then he is unusually handsome and Casanova-like (as long as he doesn't grin or laugh], because he is presented as Harley's seducer and tempter and last but not least he still can look just as crazy if he starts grinning or laughing.

ian-naud-ij2-joker-4pose.jpg

jonathan-thompson-joker-victory.jpg

jonathan-thompson-joker-intro.jpg

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Lol, those are PC screens, the image quality and effects are at their best there. (Even though many background textures and low polygon objects still look pretty bad). It is the PS4 version that looks outright terrible. But at least they finally (after over a year has passed!) fixed the fugly shadow dithering, which at first they claimed was inevitable, because the PS4 couldn't handle it. I called BS back then and I was right.

Oh, I found something good. It is about Injustice 2 again (hopefully I am not annoying you guys) but it is really interesting and again shows how much skill and care they put into this game. This video talks about how masterful the game handles and displays Harley dealing with personal trauma in one particular story mode scene:

(Don't be deterred by the dumb preview image.]

And again, I think the Joker design is actually pretty good in this game. Yeah, I disliked it too at the beginning, but now I totally see what they were going for. He looks like a fucked up corpse, because he actually is one, then he is unusually handsome and Casanova-like (as long as he doesn't grin or laugh], because he is presented as Harley's seducer and tempter and last but not least he still can look just as crazy if he starts grinning or laughing.

ian-naud-ij2-joker-4pose.jpg

jonathan-thompson-joker-victory.jpg

jonathan-thompson-joker-intro.jpg

I'll admit I didn't ( And still don't ) know how to feel about this Joker design but If she is literally meant to look like a corpse then at least it explains a bit. There's a lot going on with it lol Then again I guess the joker is supposed to look crazy.

And oh okay I was thinking SFV looked pretty good there. Still sometimes and some characters do look better than others.

PS: TN give Lisa these two hair styles -

900848313ccdda229db46198d2c55c5c--perfect-curls-new-hair.jpg
Classic-Twin-Goddess.jpg

Jadeinchains

Aww...

giphy.gif

I don't want to hurt you by telling you...
But I have heard that hair (as well as finger- and toe nails) keep on growing on dead people, so the braids and afro might still be possible after all.

Me reading this
I'm feeling very attacked/scalped
image.jpg

That's possibly the most real and harshest dead Lisa joke yet!

The real question is though, was the hair cute? It would suit Lisa really well I think.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I think the afro is damn near impossible to recreate in this generation. The only good afro that I ever saw in a game was Uncharted's Nadine:

36162214536_c86ea5ce3f_o.png

23497717916_d7e8dcef14_o.gif

Funnily enough in the upcoming game they gave her a pony tail! D:

Jadeinchains

Yeah It's a shame but I can understand why it would probably be hard to recreate well in a game. And yeah I saw that she has a ponytail in the new one. Although I guess a new look is cool. I do think they did a good job with Nadine's though. The braid though would totally be possible and Lisa more than any other girl is in need of new hairstyles.

Speaking of hair something that was pretty cool was how in ROT Tomb Raider Lara's hair actually floated on the surface of the water and she'd wring it out when she got out of the water. I'm not a massive fan of the game but it's amazing when it came to all of that.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Aaanyway...instead of going on about dead people's hair...Digital Foundry made a quick tech/graphics analysis of The Lost Legacy and what we can expect, especially on the PS4 Pro:

This was by the DF's in-depth look at the tech/graphics of Uncharted 4 when it released:

Jadeinchains

Aaanyway...instead of going on about dead people's hair...

tumblr_inline_o3dyv0vP861qddzt0_500.gif

Digital Foundry made a quick tech/graphics analysis of The Lost Legacy and what we can expect, especially on the PS4 Pro:

This was by the DF's in-depth look at the tech/graphics of Uncharted 4 when it released:

Really random but I like Chloe and Nadine's jeep more than Nathan's. I love how the equipment jumps around on it and everything. I feel like I'm going to enjoy the interactions between Chloe and Nadine more than Nathan's. I remember at one point Nathan says something about how the music is "douchey European trance music" and I was like -

tenor.gif

Nathan doesn't have the right to call ANYTHING else "douchey" considering that he's insanely douchey. smh I was disgusted when he said that. Don't try it, Coming for Euro trance.

Juihau

I still really don't like Injustice 2 Joker. He looks like a member of a boy band whose girlfriend committed suicide. He didn't know how to handle it, ended up quitting his band and trying to go into death metal. He's then become a totally different man than he used to be, frequently getting in fights and having a probably unhealthy number of sexual partners. Everyone sees him as a bad egg, but deep down he's just a lonely, grieving young man acting out in a combination of years of pent up frustration over having to keep up a false front for his fans, and incredible grief over losing the one who took the time to accept him for him.

...On another note, I believe these are relevant.

I do quite like how Splatoon 2 looks. It's not super technically impressive or anything, but it's super fun and colorful, and does great at utilizing what the Switch can do while running smoothly.

Jadeinchains

I still really don't like Injustice 2 Joker. He looks like a member of a boy band whose girlfriend committed suicide. He didn't know how to handle it, ended up quitting his band and trying to go into death metal. He's then become a totally different man than he used to be, frequently getting in fights and having a probably unhealthy number of sexual partners. Everyone sees him as a bad egg, but deep down he's just a lonely, grieving young man acting out in a combination of years of pent up frustration over having to keep up a false front for his fans, and incredible grief over losing the one who took the time to accept him for him.

...On another note, I believe these are relevant.

I do quite like how Splatoon 2 looks. It's not super technically impressive or anything, but it's super fun and colorful, and does great at utilizing what the Switch can do while running smoothly.

Wow I wasn't very interested in Splatoon 2 but it is absolutely amazing looking, I love the look of the new Radio hosts or whatever they are.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD