The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Nah, racing games don't really interest me much and when I actually bought ones in the past it weren't simulations like Gran Turismo but arcade racers or a middleground of both.
Driveclub was a racer I liked for a while and it looked absolutely gorgeous. It imo ist still the best looking racer. Some of my pics of Driveclub's photomode:

23356578180_5e70b15dd7_o.png

27168551974_e79f103d48_o.png

23356572960_a71724808c_o.png

35970282360_4a1889015b_o.png

Jadeinchains

Nah, racing games don't really interest me much and when I actually bought ones in the past it weren't simulations like Gran Turismo but arcade racers or a middleground of both.
Driveclub was a racer I liked for a while and it looked absolutely gorgeous. It imo ist still the best looking racer. Some of my pics of Driveclub's photomode:

23356578180_5e70b15dd7_o.png

27168551974_e79f103d48_o.png

23356572960_a71724808c_o.png

35970282360_4a1889015b_o.png

Wow those screenshots are really good! :eek: It looks just like real life. It kind of reminds me of the area I live around. There's mountains just near me with lakes ( Or loches since it's Scotland ) and sometimes in the Summer I go there with people to camp and go hiking. (It's freezing though ) I'm sure there's probably a race track in France too? Thinking of France now I'm hungry for the baguettes I bought earlier. Maybe I'm just being ingenuous since I don't have much experience with racing games but I'd say this is the best looking one.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Speaking of hiking along lochs and craving baguettes...

source.gif

Digital Foundry released a cool, first graphical/technical review of Dragon Quest XI:

It looks actually really nice, I have to say. O: Very clean and polished. The character models are so smoothely modelled and the landscapes and towns are beautifully detailed. Toriyama's art style itself though... :/

Interesting facts:
- The game uses Unreal Engine 4
- The game does only render in 900p resolution on the base PS4. (Consoles do really struggle with UE4. :/)
- The game renders on PS4 Pro in 1800p checkerboarding, which is quite the image quality bump from base PS4.
- The game offers downsampling for PS4 Pro users with 1080p TVs. (Thank God!)

Here's a screenshot of the PS4 version:

zh1c.jpg

Here's a PS4 Pro screen:

yh1c.jpg

(Love how crisp this is and and how much the colors pop.)

@KasumiLover69 is going to regret not watching the video. :)

Jadeinchains

Speaking of hiking along lochs and craving baguettes...

source.gif

What can I say. I loveaf Baguettes. xoxo

tenor.gif

...And hiking but that doesn't fit and I also kinda don't love Hiking. Speaking of the hills have eyes earlier with that terrifying Eliot render do you know that that was actually based off of a group of cannibals that hid in the forests of Scotland and killed and ate people? They killed thousands... Anyway...

Digital Foundry released a cool, first graphical/technical review of Dragon Quest XI:

It looks actually really nice, I have to say. O: Very clean and polished. The character models are so smoothely modelled and the landscapes and towns are beautifully detailed. Toriyama's art style itself though... :/

Interesting facts:
- The game uses Unreal Engine 4
- The game does only render in 900p resolution on the base PS4. (Consoles do really struggle with UE4. :/)
- The game renders on PS4 Pro in 1800p checkerboarding, which is quite the image quality bump from base PS4.
- The game offers downsampling for PS4 Pro users with 1080p TVs. (Thank God!)

Here's a screenshot of the PS4 version:

zh1c.jpg

Here's a PS4 Pro screen:

yh1c.jpg

(Love how crisp this is and and how much the colors pop.)

@KasumiLover69 is going to regret not watching the video. :)

I wonder If you'll look at this one @KasumiLover69? I saw you last week or something say that you didn't look at the other one Tyaren posted because you can't post here... Also It looks nice but it's not really my thing the Dragon quest series. The place in the picture reminds me of Hateno village though from Botw...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Speaking of the hills have eyes earlier with that terrifying Eliot render do you know that that was actually based off of a group of cannibals that hid in the forests of Scotland and killed and ate people? They killed thousands... Anyway...

Lol, I had no idea...XD Did you know that a famous German cannibal was called the Cannibal of Rothenburg? He came from another Rothenburg though, not the lovely, quaint one in Bavaria, that I am always obsessing about.

Also It looks nice but it's not really my thing the Dragon quest series.

Did you play any of the other DQs? I actually didn't, but the game world in this one is exactly my type of thing. Vast, (relatively) open, beautiful and varied. Very much like Xenoblade Chronicles, which I love. So, even though I'm not a big fan of turn based combat and the fact that there is no voice acting, I'm sure I will get my money's worth.
It apparently has a really good story and it is about 60 hours long. Just right for an epic RPG story.

The place in the picture reminds me of Hateno village though from Botw...

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_poster-rafce5a91cfbe4e509401c9434d861ab7_tvw_8byvr_540.jpg

Jadeinchains

Lol, I had no idea...XD Did you know that a famous German cannibal was called the Cannibal of Rothenburg? He came from another Rothenburg though, not the lovely, quaint one in Bavaria, that I am always obsessing about.

Oh do you mean the one that ate that guy in 2001 or something? Although it says he came from "Rotenburg an der fulda" And lol good that it's not the one I plan on visiting then. :p

Did you play any of the other DQs? I actually didn't, but the game world in this one is exactly my type of thing. Vast, (relatively) open, beautiful and varied. Very much like Xenoblade Chronicles, which I love. So, even though I'm not a big fan of turn based combat and the fact that there is no voice acting, I'm sure I will get my money's worth.
It apparently has a really good story and it is about 60 hours long. Just right for an epic RPG story.

No I haven't ever actually played a Dragon quest game before. At least not at any length to count. The art style put me off to be honest. I haven't seen much of how the world of this new one is though. I'm guess Kasumi is getting it too since he's been talking about DQ. I hope it's good though I'm just personally not interested.

Lol are you sure you want to see more photos after that last one?! XD The games beautiful but it is really bad to try to take photos with so it always ends up looking lesser than it should.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I haven't seen much of how the world of this new one is though.

Oh, it's basically one of those old school JRPG overworlds, with many different regions and towns, transformed into a big, modern map, that you can fully explore:

027.jpg

It isn't as open as The Witcher 3 or Horizon ZD, but there is still a lot of freedom and sense of exploration.
Later in the game you can also explore lots more by boat and by flying!

Lol are you sure you want to see more photos after that last one?! XD The games beautiful but it is really bad to try to take photos with so it always ends up looking lesser than it should.

I actually would love to see more of Zelda BoTW. Wished I could play it. :( But you know what I think about the Switch or the WiiU...

Jadeinchains

Oh, it's basically one of those old school JRPG overworlds, with many different regions and towns, transformed into a big, modern map, that you can fully explore:

027.jpg

It isn't as open as The Witcher 3 or Horizon ZD, but there is still a lot of freedom and sense of exploration.
Later in the game you can also explore lots more by boat and by flying!

I actually would love to see more of Zelda BoTW. Wished I could play it. :( But you know what I think about the Switch or the WiiU...

I'd love to take more photos lol but they really made it difficult. I wouldn't mind them implementing a photo mode or a way to use a usb for photo's but I doubt it.

The world from that DQ actually looks cool though. It's nice that it has multiple different types of areas. Also do the DQ games all take place in the same world or different ones?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
In anticipation of Uncharted The Lost Legacy filling this thread soon, I started replaying UC4. :) The early orphanage escape chapter is still such a beautiful sight.

35599372133_d2cede8175_o.png

36407173405_50a29b21a8_o.png

36406963065_b84b9abaf4_o.png

36406967845_ae7506692b_o.png

The atmosphere, the detail... Really a work of art this location.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It's not on the radars of many, but tomorrow Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will be officially released console exclusive on PS4 and on PC. Here's the trailer of the graphically very ambitious title:

According to the developer, Ninja Theory, the title will make great use of the PS4 Pro's additional power:

These impressively detailed environments, animations and character models will be even more impressive on PS4 Pro, with more than a two-fold increase in pixel density over the base PlayStation 4 placing the target output resolution at 1440 x 2560.

The developer here, however, has chosen to favour a rock solid performance above all else, ensuring combat and movement are never interrupted. To this end, the game dynamically adjusts output resolution ‘on the fly’, scaling between the target 1440p resolution and a full HD 1080p to maintain a constant framerate.

Those playing the game on a standard HD display will also benefit from increased image quality thanks to down-sampling. This process allows the console to construct a more finely-detailed 1080p image from the full the higher-resolution render, smoothing jagged edges and refining object and texture detail, particularly at a distance.

Finally, PS4 Pro users will also have the option to enable a ’60hz Mode’. With this option enabled the game will double its target frame rate to 60FPS, delivering an even more fluid experience.

Impressively, the game will continue to target higher resolutions in this mode meaning you’ll still enjoy above HD resolutions, though perhaps not quite as high overall. For those who prize performance above all else – this is the perfect way to play the game.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...lawbreakers-dreadnought-and-more/#sf104160427

Last but not least, developers seem to have recognized the great success other titles, notably Horizon Zero Dawn, had with their implemented photomodes and many fans sharing their photos on social media, in forums and competitions, thus greatly promoting the game.
Hellblade will feature a photomode from the beginning too and Ninja Theory already announced that they will be looking forward to and supporting what the players will create in it.
Here are 4 screens that were created in the game's photomode:

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0002.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0003.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0001.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0004.jpg

UpSideDownGRUNT

It's not on the radars of many, but tomorrow Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will be officially released console exclusive on PS4 and on PC. Here's the trailer of the graphically very ambitious title:

According to the developer, Ninja Theory, the title will make great use of the PS4 Pro's additional power:

These impressively detailed environments, animations and character models will be even more impressive on PS4 Pro, with more than a two-fold increase in pixel density over the base PlayStation 4 placing the target output resolution at 1440 x 2560.

The developer here, however, has chosen to favour a rock solid performance above all else, ensuring combat and movement are never interrupted. To this end, the game dynamically adjusts output resolution ‘on the fly’, scaling between the target 1440p resolution and a full HD 1080p to maintain a constant framerate.

Those playing the game on a standard HD display will also benefit from increased image quality thanks to down-sampling. This process allows the console to construct a more finely-detailed 1080p image from the full the higher-resolution render, smoothing jagged edges and refining object and texture detail, particularly at a distance.

Finally, PS4 Pro users will also have the option to enable a ’60hz Mode’. With this option enabled the game will double its target frame rate to 60FPS, delivering an even more fluid experience.

Impressively, the game will continue to target higher resolutions in this mode meaning you’ll still enjoy above HD resolutions, though perhaps not quite as high overall. For those who prize performance above all else – this is the perfect way to play the game.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...lawbreakers-dreadnought-and-more/#sf104160427

Last but not least, developers seem to have recognized the great success other titles, notably Horizon Zero Dawn, had with their implemented photomodes and many fans sharing their photos on social media, in forums and competitions, thus greatly promoting the game.
Hellblade will feature a photomode from the beginning too and Ninja Theory already announced that they will be looking forward to and supporting what the players will create in it.
Here are 4 screens that were created in the game's photomode:

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0002.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0003.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0001.jpg

image_hellblade_senua_s_sacrifice-36092-3053_0004.jpg
Under the radar is putting it lightly, I didn't even know it existed until just a few days ago lol

And yeah, this game does look amazingly detailed and hopefully the gameplay is just as good.

Being one of the 5 people in the entire world that actually liked DmC: Devil May Cry, I'm very interested to play this when I get the chance to.

Jadeinchains

Yeah same. The most I've seen of this game was seeing the main characters face on the playstation store and that was it. It looks pretty cool though. Graphically it looks amazing. Are you getting it Tyaren?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I didn't know the game was that unknown. It's for quite some time in development now actually and the developer's other notable work is Heavenly Sword, which was really big on PS3:

heavenlysword_2a.jpg

...Enslaved:

enslaved_02.jpg

...and most recently DMC:

dmc-devil-may-cry-ps4-xbox-one.jpg

All pretty well known stuff.

Graphically it looks amazing. Are you getting it Tyaren?

Nah, I don't think I will. (Except it turns out to be amazing, lol. The first reviews should hit as soon as tonight.) It's not really my type of game and as you might know I'm not personally a fan of these super dark and gritty horror games.

ShinobiGuy

Nah, I don't think I will. (Except it turns out to be amazing, lol. The first reviews should hit as soon as tonight.) It's not really my type of game and as you might know I'm not personally a fan of these super dark and gritty horror games.
I preordered it awhile back. Just up my alley. I can post some stuff about it once I get to play a bit.

Brute

Standard Donor
It's graphics look good. Art style I'm mixed on.

Doubt I'll be picking up the game, however. Was not at all a fan of DmC, and not just because "it wasn't DMC."

ShinobiGuy

Getting good reviews. It sure does look amazing. Can't wait to try it. But did you catch the part where, if you die too much, your save file is deleted and you have to start from the beginning :-O

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Getting good reviews. It sure does look amazing. Can't wait to try it. But did you catch the part where, if you die too much, your save file is deleted and you have to start from the beginning :-O

Yeah, it's apparently really good according to most reviewers. It's relatively short (just costs 30$/€), but it's a very dense and tense experience. Story, voice work, graphics and overall atmosphere are highly praised. It must be one of the best realizations of a person slipping into insanity in a game.
There's lots of interesting puzzles, while combat is pretty basic but fun and challenging.
And yes, apparently when you die to often the game resets and you have to do everything again, lol.

Here's an in-depth review, that also touches a bit more on the graphical/design/artistic aspects of the game:

You do have to take some screens. :) Best in 4k mode, alright? There's also a 60fps mode on PS4 Pro, but that naturally doesn't look as good.

Here are a couple of photos by forumers on Neogaf:

mygreatcapturescreens6uspk.png

mygreatcapturescreensueshw.png

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
As I already mentioned, I'm playing Uncharted 4 again. :)

35639417823_86a3622100_o.png

36401630746_a6995ef5eb_o.png

36401628656_9f2fb8689c_o.png

36401626486_5040649a07_o.png

Still such a good looking game. Every single scene looks just so gorgeous and polished to the pixel.
What I also really like is that it actually is pretty stylized in it's coloring, lighting and shading. Contrary to popular belief Naughty Dog are not going for super realistic visuals. Leave that to games like the more gritty, new Tomb Raider games.

Not much longer until The Lost Legacy will even trump UC4! :D
Lol, still haven't preordered it.

Jadeinchains

Well your not the only one lol when it comes to not preordering it. I'm just not going to tbh. I'll just go and get it when it comes out instead. And great pictures! :D

Crazy that it just comes out in a couple weeks! :eek:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD