The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I got the season pass (like always) so it's included there. Is it that close already? Man, I need more hours in the day.

Two more weeks. :)

This is how amazing it is going to look on PS4 Pro:

UNCTLL_Screen_PS4_E32017_08_1497329959.jpg

UNCTLL_Screen_PS4_E32017_02_1497329930.jpg

UNCTLL_Screen_PS4_E32017_01_1497329925.jpg

UNCTLL_Screen_PS4_E32017_05_1497329947.jpg

ShinobiGuy

It is great looking. Not sure which looks better Senua or this, but guess I'll find out. Hopefully I can get through Senua before this is released. I appreciate that it's a shorter title.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It is great looking. Not sure which looks better Senua or this, but guess I'll find out.
From a graphical/technical standpoint The Lost Legacy easily imo.
In Hellblade you'll find lots of low resolution textures and lots of sparse and low polygon background modelling, in the Uncharted games environments are polished to near perfection. Naughty Dog has all the time and recources for that, while Ninja Theory doesn't. They developed Hellblade as an indie title without the backing of any major publisher.
Environments like these (from UC4) you will not find in Hellblade:

1502100270-uncharted-tm-4-a-thief-s-end-20170807112040.png

1502039338-uncharted-tm-4-a-thief-s-end-20170806160511.png

1502100255-uncharted-tm-4-a-thief-s-end-20170807111742.png

UpSideDownGRUNT

Even so, you can't discredit Ninja Theory because that game still looks insane to say its wasn't a AAA title at all and was made by a developer who aren't really well known (aside from being infamous for DmC)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Even so, you can't discredit Ninja Theory because that game still looks insane to say its wasn't a AAA title at all and was made by a developer who aren't really well known (aside from being infamous for DmC)

I don't think I did that. I praised the game and its visuals highly in this thread before, didn't I? Uncharted is graphically in a whole other league though...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I didn't say you did, I was merely saying that Hellblade still holds up and looks better than a lot of AAA titles itself.

Interestingly, Ninja Theory themselves describe Hellblade as an "indie AAA game". They did develop it with a small team (about 20 people), without the backing of a major publisher and it's sold at a budget price, but consider its production value AAA.

ShinobiGuy

Wife's a bit under the weather so TV time instead of gaming time. Itchy to try Senua ;-P I have played all games from ninja theory sans heavenly sword, which I really would have liked to try. Enslaved was really good and a fun art style and I have to admit I didn't mind the new dmc either.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
This Overwatch McCree skin is the new "Hot Ryu" that the internet is going crazy over:

overwatch-summer-games-2017-mccree.png

tumblr_oue2tfVwL11twbpy4o1_1280.jpg

It's always entertaining to see people go nuts once a developer decides to sex up a male character, that usually isn't. More and more developers are doing it regularly and I think in the last couple of years we've really seen a paradigm shift in male character design. Attractiveness is now a concern for male characters. About half of all video gamers are women after all and the gay male community also is a sizable one.

Other recent notable mentions:

hot-ryu.jpg

ovcdccql7btx.jpg

oo5hsG6.jpg

ME3050785163_2.jpg

1484630538157.png

Even Pokemon...

9337d9c8b5b6a4cf667224aea95ee9be064998c3_hq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Standard Donor
While I'm generally speaking a big fan of Overwatch's graphics, art style and event skins (this latest one being no exception), but the male navels do bother me. On the females they all look fine, but then on the males it's like they have a folded crater but no actuall belly button. You can tell quite clearly with the new McCree skin, but it's also the case for Junkrat and others.

Chapstick

This Overwatch McCree skin is the new "Hot Ryu" that the internet is going crazy over:

overwatch-summer-games-2017-mccree.png

tumblr_oue2tfVwL11twbpy4o1_1280.jpg

It's always entertaining to see people go nuts once a developer decides to sex up a male character, that usually isn't. More and more developers are doing it regularly and I think in the last couple of years we've really seen a paradigm shift in male character design. Attractiveness is now a concern for male characters. About half of all video gamers are women after all and the gay male community also is a sizable one.

Other recent notable mentions:

hot-ryu.jpg

ovcdccql7btx.jpg

oo5hsG6.jpg

ME3050785163_2.jpg

1484630538157.png

Even Pokemon...

9337d9c8b5b6a4cf667224aea95ee9be064998c3_hq.jpg
Really @Mccree? The only reactions I've seen to it have been "why did you do this to this character" lol

Brute

Standard Donor
Really @Mccree? The only reactions I've seen to it have been "why did you do this to this character" lol
All of my hetero male friends love it. Including me. *shrug*
Mercy definitely got the best, however (not that I'm biased as a Mercy main, or anything).

I'm glad they gave him some chest hair. A bit harder to do with their art style, but it works for his gruff, scruffy kind of character/look.

Argentus

i'm more into animations than anything else, so I figured i'd post this movelist set I made for Pirate Warriors 3. it's not complete as I don't have everyone maxed out, like Chopper sucks so I never bothered to unlock his Monster Point specials, but i'll do another video when i've maxed everything out. I was just making this relatively quickly to show a friend hwo the game is a lot more fluid mechanically than a regular Dynasty Warriors game (Fyi i'm deliberately doing combos super slowly for demonstration purposes. actual gameplay is way way way faster, plus you can cancel combos at any time)

When I first played it, it was on the Vita version, which was horrible graphics. I mean HORRIBLE. you know when a game loads a scene in, and everything is just base colors and blurry pixely textures as its still rendering everything into the scene for a second or two? Entire game looking like that, to fit the game down to a Vita data size.

but especially on ps4, this game did such a PHENOMENAL job on cloth, fur, fuzzy textures, and metal textures, while still fitting into the comic book art style.

also some characters have REALLY weird mechanics that i just plain haven't got the hang of.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Yep, he's all over Twitter and Deviantart for days. Lotsa fanart too. It's nearly as bad as when a new Pokemon character is revealed.
Since I don't know Overwatch that well and McCree's design is a bit different to his usual design, I first had no clue who that new character even was that everyone was so crazy for.

I'm glad they gave him some chest hair. A bit harder to do with their art style, but it works for his gruff, scruffy kind of character/look.

In one post I read someone was overjoyed he also got hair above his butt. XD

Jadeinchains

10 more days and the crown for best graphics will finally wander from Uncharted...to Uncharted. :D

Oh! :eek: Lol the best graphics? What happened to Horizon and it having the most beautiful ants and being the most beautiful? Anyway I didn't know it was only 10 days away!? I'll be ready for it though when it comes out.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Oh! :eek: Lol the best graphics? What happened to Horizon and it having the most beautiful ants and being the most beautiful? Anyway I didn't know it was only 10 days away!? I'll be ready for it though when it comes out.

Lol, let me maybe rephrase this: Best visuals! :D Visuals is what you see on screen, graphics is what you see on screen plus the tech behind it. Horizon has the more impressive tech, being an open world game and looking nearly as good as Uncharted, but Uncharted, even though so much smaller, looks still better.

Here a gameplay demo as a little reminder how The Lost Legacy looks:

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, but it's art design is less inspired and more generic/boring. I would say Horizon has better visuals.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD