The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

The creation or recreation of the ancient city of Memphis in Assassin's Creed Origins:

Okay, this seriously makes me want this game, lol. Looks amazing. I can't wait to see more of Alexandria, the biggest city of ancient Egypt and this game. A few glimpses we already got in trailers:

d314e7daf7906f4540d64d1776ac2a72fd9b7063.jpg

Screenshot-2017-06-11-23.28.07.png

...okay that does actually look pretty cool. Not enough for me to get it but it does look cool lol. I actually don't know much about Alexandria ( More Cairo ) but the Lighthouse looks amazing. I saw that it was built in 323bc...when is this game supposed to take place? I'm guessing still bc.

Jadeinchains

Dem animations! O:

9fWfgFj.gif

*Me dodging responsibility's*

Lost Legacy gave me what I needed after playing Rise of the tomb raider. The adventure and actual tomb raiding feel. The humour and relation between the two leads was great. ( I managed to do the tower thing by the way! :D )

Tyaren

Standard Donor
*Me dodging responsibility's*

Lost Legacy gave me what I needed after playing Rise of the tomb raider. The adventure and actual tomb raiding feel. The humour and relation between the two leads was great. ( I managed to do the tower thing by the way! :D )

Lol, Chloe's flexible, isn't she?

36427916710_3f01861469_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Digital Foundry compares Yakuza Kiwami on PS4 to the original Yakuza Kiwami on PS2:

Wow, how far we've come... O:
Here's a side by side comparison of some character models:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
New The Art and Design of Final Fantasy XV book was revealed and is up for preorder now:

limited-edition_inner-box-text-correct_1600x1333_marked.jpg

book-inside-compose7_1600x1196_marked.jpg

book-inside-compose1_1600x1196_marked.jpg

book-inside-compose6_1600x1196_marked.jpg

book-inside-compose_1600x1196_marked.jpg

Damn...I need this... D: If there is one thing this game did well, its its art and design.

Standard Edition costs 42€
Limited Edition costs 170€ @__@
(Prices in € since this is a European publisher but they also ship abroad.]

You can preorder it here or wait till the end of the year when it will be also available on Amazon:
https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/2364/the-art-and-design-of-final-fantasy-xv-square-enix.html

Jadeinchains

Luna "The girl on a train"? I wonder what that was about. ( Cause we barely got to see her I love that outfit though ) Also what's the difference between the standard and limited? Is there more pages on one?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Also what's the difference between the standard and limited? Is there more pages on one?

No, it is the same book, but with different covers. It comes in a "luxury box" though:

limited-edition_inner-box-title_1600x1200_marked.jpg

...includes HQ art prints:

limited-edition_all-elements-title_1600x1200_marked.jpg

...and the first 500 sold editions include signatures from the FFXV art team.
Imo still not worth 4 times the price of the Standard Edition. @__@

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Since @Jade refuses to entertain us with additional screens of Zelda Breath of the Wild, here's what the game would look like, if the Switch was a couple times more powerful than it is:

33440255840_1f7b84366c_o.jpg

cemu_2017_04_02_11_01_03_89_by_aloooo81-db4f43q.jpg

cemu2017-07-0208-18-0husek.png

MSfzj82.jpg

These are native 4k screens running on PC on Cemu (an emulator program).

It is imo always astonishing what alone improved image quality can do the graphics of a game. No need for more polygons or higher resolution textures for it to look so much better.

Jadeinchains

Lol its just so hard to take pictures on it! XD

And I was actually kind of confused looking at these pictures before I saw the 4K thing because this is how the game looks anyway.... :/ at least as far as I remember the looked just like this in motion while I was playing.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
And I was actually kind of confused looking at these pictures before I saw the 4K thing because this is how the game looks anyway.... :/ at least as far as I remember the looked just like this in motion while I was playing.

tenor.gif

I guess that is what one calls cognitive bias. I don't want to shatter your fond memories, but the game does not look like this on Switch at all. There it runs 900p (720p on the tablet), without any anti aliasing nor texture filtering. It's jaggy, at the same time blurry and there is a great loss of any detail just a few steps ahead. From an image quality point of view it is actually kinda eye cancer inducing to look at. It's of course even worse on WiiU.

Jadeinchains

tenor.gif

I guess that is what one calls cognitive bias.

giphy.gif

Omg lol! XD Just the combination of the gif and that cutting commentary killed me. :p Lol maybe...maybe it's cognitive bias. Personally though I found it to be quite beautiful looking :p. Have you watched footage of it or seen it in person? It is pretty nice looking actually playing it, I didn't have any problems with it so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this at least lol. :p

Tyaren

Standard Donor
giphy.gif

Omg lol! XD Just the combination of the gif and that cutting commentary killed me. :p Lol maybe...maybe it's cognitive bias. Personally though I found it to be quite beautiful looking :p. Have you watched footage of it or seen it in person? It is pretty nice looking actually playing it, I didn't have any problems with it so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this at least lol. :p

I completely agree that it is still a nice looking game, but the image quality is scientifically proven shitty. XD I wish Nintendo would finally catch up to Sony and Microsoft again. Back then the Gamecube was a great piece of hardware...
By the way, after I told you that 900p without any anti aliasing and texture filtering is eye cancer inducing, I thought about Xenoblade Chronicles, which I am always urging you to play. That game is only rendered in 480p without anti aliasing nor texture filtering and I still think it is a gorgeous looking game. So I'm taking the hyperbolic eye cancer thing back, lol.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
So apparently I'm allowed to post here now as it was clarified to me yesterday so yay I guess. As you all know the beta for Dissidia Final Fantasy has been out a while now and I doubt there's been any personal screenshot posts posted of how the game looks in this thread since it seems codes received from FSD members are scarce so I've done a couple myself. I found out you can take pics of the game in the gallery mode to remove the awful watermark, so here's the three I used for video thumbnails yesterday so I wouldn't have to crop and suffer lower image quality:

DIuhq1FXoAAWY_e

DIuh_LOWsAIJqUL

DIuij5dXYAE2RO5

There was so many great moments to take pics since the game looks great, the arenas are detailed and everything looks solid and clean up close as well as crisp and the game has nice colors and shaders depending on where you fight. I don't have any shown screens of it now but the game also has a dirt effect which is the result of falling which I think is a cool detail although tbh it could use some improvement on console since it seemed fuzzy when I saw it. The character models are also good but it still could use some work as some look particularly waxy and doll like up close although the three I posted I didn't notice that. You have to really play it on your tv to really notice it since I watched videos with the same characters and never saw that. The self shadowing effect from the character's clothes and from arenas in general is also a nice feature and I don't think I saw even one "jaggy" at all which is surprising since I know games like Dead or Alive 5 Last Round have it, and it thankfully doesn't have a washed out look or even that nasty film grain effect

The face models are also all distinctive and look vastly different and I would say Terra has the best face visually, she looks almost a bit like Momiji in my opinion. Overall while the environments are amazing I would say the character models and their designs really catch your eyes the most, especially in intros when all 6 characters walk in. The HUD in gameplay however is a bit distracting and kind of makes everything somewhat cluttered so you can really appreciate the environments since you have to manage gauges and stuff, a blog I read even said the same thing. The game is solid looking but I hope they'll still work on it to make it even more polished by the time January comes. Besides Injustice 2 i can say this is one of the best looking fighting games at the moment, Team Ninja should take notes to make DOA6 look like this

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I actually mentioned Dissidia already here:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-art-style-and-graphics-discussion.5842/page-154#post-355836

Nice post though, KL. ;)

Dissidia does indeed look great overall. Certainly better than SFV and Tekken 7 look on PS4. And considering the many characters on stage at once and how large the stages are and that they are transforming and that multiple effects explode on screen at once, it is even more impressive.

There are however a few aspects that they had to compromise on...
Character models have beautifully modelled and textured heads, but I did notice a few low polygon or low resolution texture parts here and there on other parts of their bodies. But as I mentioned, there are 6 character models at once on screen, no other current fighter manages this that well.

KL also mentioned there are no jaggies, but there are actually jaggys/aliasing all over the screen. Are we playing the same game? XD

Here an example:
36815400435_390185091e_o.png

Here an example with good antialiasing:
35237702915_b1d5e408f5_o.png

It's pretty bad in Dissida in fact. Yes, it makes the game look crisp in big contrast to Tekken 7 on console, but it imo looks too sharp and the shimmering caused by aliased edges and textures hurts my eyes. Maybe it affects me all the more, because I am now used to games on PS4 Pro, that practically eliminates all aliasing in higher res modes or by implementing a good antialiasing solution? Replaying Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii will certainly toughen me up in this regard. ;) @Jadeinchains

By the way, how do you access this gallery mode? O__O @KasumiLover69

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I didn't honestly notice any jaggies since the game really did look smooth XD but then again I play on my smaller hd t.v. in my room, I'm sure if I would have played in the front room with the big screen I could've saw them but then again I'm also near sighted and have to wear glasses when I play

And gallery mode?? Oh I meant the ps4 gallery XD to take the pics I needed and to avoid that ugly watermark at the bottom I did this:

1) press the share button twice to record video

2) play as normal and play a full set with a character

3) go back to the main menu and save the clip

4) go to the ps4 main menu and go to the screenshot gallery thing.

5) go to the recorded video and press the trim option

6) narrow the intervals to 1 second intervals and go on the second interval you wish to screenshot. If you press X if I'm not mistaken it'll give you the option to start/end the clip there or you can screenshot that moment, just do the last option.

7) voila you have a no watermark pic of the scene! I did this for a few more characters and was able to get a shot of almost everyone in their victory or intro pose before text came up and I got some of the various summons, the fire one and the long beard ones were my favorite visually since their presence seemed surreal and almost intimidation

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD