The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
You do lose quality unless you're on Pro though, PS4 captures at 720p 30fps where as screen grabs are full 1080i/1080p.

What Kasumilover basically does to his screens in order to avoid watermarks is digital butchering. No wonder that he doesn't detect any jaggies, when he converts and compresses the image so much that there is no detail left to even recognize any aliasing.
I rather have a watermark than such a terrible image quality, that does not represent what the game actually looks like anymore.

Anway, new concept art of the upcoming God of War was released:

god-of-war_2017_08-30rjsn5.jpg

Lu8iEac.png

amzc8cf.png

Ztz9SEE.png

Design-wise and atmosphere-wise this is going to be a gorgeous looking game...but I'm again a bit hesitant if it's really for me. Just recently in an interview a developer of the game stated:
"This will be the most brutal God of War you've played."
http://www.dualshockers.com/sony-exec-thinks-god-war-will-blow-people-away-phenomenal-team-working/

I had actually thought/hoped that they would dial that reliance on over the top, juvenile violence down a bit. Just a bit to make the game more accessible for a wider and also more mature audience. It seemed that way in demos and trailers.
13 -year-olds might find it cool when Kratos rips enemies from limb to limb in slow motion and love to the utmost detail, but I find it vulgar and nauseating.
Well, let's wait for some more info and material. Maybe the developer just wanted to sound cool and edgy.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Idk which thread is the active graphics and art one now or how two came about, but they released some visual screenshots of how Dragon Ball Fighter Z lobbies will look so I'll post them here. It kinda gives me DOA4 vibes with how they're using more visual chibi style set ups and environments for lobbies instead of just a basic one like most fighters do nowadays. It makes it more immersive and makes the lobbies feel more lively

IMG_20170907_150950.jpg

IMG_20170907_150953.jpg

IMG_20170907_150958.jpg

IMG_20170907_151000.jpg

Pretty neat if you ask me! It'll also have chat and I'm guessing the character you use will be your icon on the lobby room. I like the look so far, although I hope to see how the other character's icons will look too

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Super Mario Odyssey looks good! Although arguably similar to most other Mario titles
H2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_bannerXS.jpg

DJpFus0WAAAUSHv.jpg

DJo5m9YW0AELnHQ.jpg
I find it ridiculous how there's suddenly widespread pandemonium all because they gave him nipples... I thought that was anatomically correct. I think the beach scenario they're using for the game is taken from one artwork where he wears something similar at a beach

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_scrn17_E3_copy.jpg

Jadeinchains

Super Mario Odyssey looks good! Although arguably similar to most other Mario titlesView attachment 24045

View attachment 24046
View attachment 24047 I find it ridiculous how there's suddenly widespread pandemonium all because they gave him nipples... I thought that was anatomically correct. I think the beach scenario they're using for the game is taken from one artwork where he wears something similar at a beach

View attachment 24048

"Although arguably similar to most other Mario titles"
"arguably similar to most other Mario titles"
"similar to most other Mario titles"

tenor.gif

Are you crazy! :p Mario's odyssey looks great, It has so much that looks great in it. :D I'm excited for it anyway lol.

Jadeinchains

Shade lol. I mean it's a Mario game so style wise it isn't going to be super different. It's been so long since a main hub world 64, Sunshine type Mario game that I'm just really excited to play another one. ( Didn't really like Galaxy that much though )

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I don't think Mario Odyssey looks particularly good. It lacks the stylistic cohesiveness other Marios, like Sunshine or Galaxy, had. The more realistical worlds/levels in Odyssey (New York, the forest/jungle, the rusty factory etc.) look imo kinda ugly. Low polygon structures and low res textures become very apparent there.
There are Switch Mario games that look visually great however, like the new Mario+Rabbids:

456494-mario.jpg

RKB_24_Environment_Desert_1501289836.jpg

mariorabbids-screenshot-3.jpg

mario-rabbids-spooky-1920x1080.jpg

Digital Foundry did a cool analysis of it:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The hair rendering in Monster Hunter World looks pretty good. Very natural and detailed and without the usual dithering or aliasing of other games:

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'm honestly surprised Monster Hunter got a PS4 game, its usually exclusive to 3DS or something. And it looks pretty good too, probably the highest quality character maker I've seen thus far.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I'm honestly surprised Monster Hunter got a PS4 game, its usually exclusive to 3DS or something. And it looks pretty good too, probably the highest quality character maker I've seen thus far.

Monster Hunter World is a beautiful game in general:

If they add a proper single player story mode, I'm going to get it. My first Monster Hunter.

Jadeinchains

So are you two getting Monster Hunter? The character creator does actually look really good. Personally I'm not a fan of the series so although It does look cool with the open world thing and everything I wasn't really interested. I did like the look of the creatures though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
If it doesn't just focus on online play then I will get it. The large, beautiful and visually varied regions and the amazing monster designs really intrigue me. :) I had long hoped the series would finally make a debut on current gen consoles.

Jadeinchains

If it doesn't just focus on online play then I will get it. The large, beautiful and visually varied regions and the amazing monster designs really intrigue me. :) I had long hoped the series would finally make a debut on current gen consoles.

Yeah actually If it's available for offline play that could actually be fun. :) I don't know a whole lot about the series but I'm guessing it's like you start with no armour and crappy weapons then as you fight you get better weapons and armour which allows you to fight tougher monsters which lets you get tougher armour and weapons etc etc? I could see why people would enjoy that. Oh and also the cat friend that you can customize was super cute lol. :p

Tyaren

Standard Donor
A new Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer dropped today:

Here's a higher quality, less compressed version of the trailer:
https://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_red_dead_redemption_2_trailer_2-40951_en.html

The footage is captured on a standard PS4 according to the official Playstation Twitter account.
Some screecaps from the trailer:

6bR3C8.png

aMWHpR.png

NCHOJ6.png

6dcTzx.png

For a huge open world game these are pretty impressive visuals, not quite on a level with Horizon Zero Dawn though.
I'm personally not a fan of the realistic, gritty, wild west setting... What do you guys think?

Argentus

Eh, doesn't look bad, but we have way too many "realistic open world" game sfor me to be impressed by that anymore, but also, Wild West is a very "american" thing so I can see how it wouldn't really appeal to non americans as well, and I mean no offense by that.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wild West is a very "american" thing so I can see how it wouldn't really appeal to non americans as well, and I mean no offense by that.

No offense taken, but that is still a strange reasoning, lol.
I'd even argue that foreign culture settings are probably more interesting to many people. Japanese really like the European medieval setting for their games, especially JRPGs and here in Europe games with Japanese settings are really popular. How is it over in the US, do most people really just prefer wild west settings over everything else?

My grandma is by the way a fan of 60s and 70s wild west films. And now comes the interesting part, wild west films made by Europeans for Europeans:

Germany:

Italy:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD