The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

I've ranted about Tetsuya Nomura, lead character designer and break block of every FF that he's working on, here and in the FF thread before. Now lemme repeat again, that Nomura is probably the most repetitive and unvaried professional character designer that I know. :/

DV2D2NdW4AE9qcw.jpg

DV2D5PiX0AA7mTX.jpg

Kingdom Hearts 3 Riku is literally Noctis in just a lighter color scheme. *smh*

This is the most recent Kingdom Hearts 3 footage we got to see, by the way:

In general there's something I don't like about the game's look. It seems so sterile and as if everything is made of plastic...

Lol yeah he does look so similar, But hey don't insult KH! :p I thought It looked nice, They're probably doing that so that all the disney styles fit together etc.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So I decided to try that FFXV benchmark on my spare potato laptop and it's very well optimized, the game looks absolutely gorgeous on ultra ultra-low.

DV0u2g2VMAAj6BG.jpg

DV0u3_T1_Vo_AAqih1.jpg

DV0u4jIU0AA-fXM.jpg

DV0u5HoVMAATOK0.jpg

I was impressed by the Bloom effect and had no artifacts nor screen tearing either. Wonder if it has more potential than my high-end rig.

Specs:

Potato laptop

Score: Over 9000

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@DestructionBomb how will you be running the game on PC?

No problems so far with high settings 3840xs2160 on PC from the looks of it. I'm on EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with an i5 processor and haven't went under 57FPS, was mostly constant 65-58. For some reason though, the sound quality became a lot lower when ran on high setting in 3840x2160 (could be just on my end or maybe because my sound quality card just sucks). Think we might get an open setting like an anti-aliasing or rays etc.?

Though to be honest, i'm not sure on how I can really run it because of missing features from the benchmark test. I could just leave it on 1920x1080 with just high settings since it stayed at 60, so I was curious if we are going to get the other settings like Shadow Distance, 64-bit render targets, Ambient O., View Distance like objects or grass in the background will stay rendered when you move away from it etc.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Good Lord, the shoreline in this game... O:

38453966900_6f095c5e92_o.png

38435365070_15e7b81f5d_o.png

40282395991_03f31fe112_o.png

39348296225_75a86d7680_o.png
Craziest part, this is really off the beaten track and 90% of all players won't even see it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wow, Dynasty Warriors 9 looks so supremely ugly and performs so terrible at the same time that gamers and especially series fans should feel insulted:

Some screens of that brown, blurry beauty:

dynasty-warriors-9-01-19-18-29.jpg

Dynasty-Warriors-9-Screenshot-12.jpg

Scrolls5_CraftAtBlacksmith.jpg

Jadeinchains

Wow, Dynasty Warriors 9 looks so supremely ugly and performs so terrible at the same time that gamers and especially series fans should feel insulted:

Some screens of that brown, blurry beauty:

dynasty-warriors-9-01-19-18-29.jpg

Dynasty-Warriors-9-Screenshot-12.jpg

Scrolls5_CraftAtBlacksmith.jpg

:I I was kinda looking forward to Dynasty Warriors 9 in some ways but it kinda lost my interest but yeah..It looks very brown.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Tyaren

Standard Donor
the hair is somehow still worse than Episode Duscae? lol

Uh...no? XD
Episode Duscae screen:

40319471662_534574146c_o.jpg

Duscae still has the superior lighting though: full, dynamic global illumination. Not even the PC version seems to bring that back.

On another note:
Assassin's Creed Origins adds the free "Discovery Tour":

It's a mode in which you freely explore the history and beauty of AC Origin's world. :) Seems awesome and exactly like something I'd love. I'm still not sold on the game though... :/

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Agro of Shadow of the Colossus is imo the most beautifully modelled and animated horse in any video game.

TufR77D.gif

Mkej1sp.gif

Here's a trophy guide in which some of the animations and little tricks you can do with her (yep, Agro is a lady :) ) are shown:

Jadeinchains

For a second there I thought you were saying that the colossus in that gif was the most beautiful one, And It got me thinking of what people would consider the most beautiful one? Can you even say which one is the most beautiful? Since every single one of the colossus are so incredible looking.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
For a second there I thought you were saying that the colossus in that gif was the most beautiful one, And It got me thinking of what people would consider the most beautiful one? Can you even say which one is the most beautiful? Since every single one of the colossus are so incredible looking.

Lol, traditionally beautiful I wouldn't call any of the colossi...but they look damn impressive. Some more than the others though:

38513056310_d5ec173668_o.png

26490430288_566abbcc3d_o.png

26538212138_3de5ea9b25_o.png

In general SotC is absolutely beautiful though. It's just so awe-inspiring, like no other video game before...well, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. But SotC on top of that amazing design also got the amazing tech. I'd say it even looks better than Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 overall. It's a true piece of art.

Jadeinchains

Lol, traditionally beautiful I wouldn't call any of the colossi...but they look damn impressive. Some more than the others though:

38513056310_d5ec173668_o.png

26315854888_33b5d21908_o.png

26538212138_3de5ea9b25_o.png

In general SotC is absolutely beautiful though. It's just so awe-inspiring, like no other video game before...well, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. But SotC on top of that amazing design also got the amazing tech. I'd say it even looks better than Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted overall. It's a true piece of art.

Mccuse me, Phalanx is beautiful!
shadow_of_the_colossus_-_13_phalanx_5917.jpg

Although Impressive also definitely fits, Imagine seeing something flying through the sky like that! :eek:
Those pictures are really nice btw.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, you were too quick, I changed the Phalanx picture for another one, which imo does it more justice. So majestic and aethereal. I've got so many pics to share, but it kinda sucks that I can only post 3 here and that I have to put the rest in spoilers. :/

Also, pictures do the game's true visual mastery hardly any justice. One has to experience it for oneself, in motion.

Jadeinchains

It really is so amazing looking...It's so sad what happens to all the colossus... :( The pictures are great though even If more than 3 have to be in spoilers, And yeah I've seen gameplay of the Phalanx fight and it is amazing looking.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
She really does though they've really improved how she looks. She definitely looks the best out of the characters revealed so far, And yeah her body looks smooth etc maybe It is because with her showing so much skin they really wanted her to look good. And lol yeah I was wondering If they'd tone down Ivy's look for this game or ramp it up but It's safe to say now they definitely took her there, Cause this outfit is everything and she does look even bigger in certain places now than before. And yep It's definitely giving her a..push I'll say lol this outfit. Which looks good. And If It means they spent extra time and effort doing something to make it extra good then that's cool by me.

I actually don't really like the design of her outfit. :/ I like that they put some work into modelling it completely new and that it is unapologetically sexualized, that's Ivy after all, but I don't think the outfit on its own is well designed...It looks too busy and incoherent.

This is how they reimagined Ivy's SC1 outfit in SC6:

ivy1-b.jpg

22_soul02.jpg

Here's Takuji Kawano's character illustration:

22_soul01.jpg

Characters always look better in his illustrations than in their 3D models....
A Soul Calibur in a 3D anime style like from Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, DB FighterZ) would probably be a visual feast.

Jadeinchains

I actually don't really like the design of her outfit. :/ I like that they put some work into modelling it completely new and that it is unapologetically sexualized, that's Ivy after all, but I don't think the outfit on its own is well designed...It looks too busy and incoherent.

tumblr_inline_o3dyv0vP861qddzt0_500.gif

EXCUSE ME! jk. :p That's fine. Besides the re imagined version of her SC1 outfit being more risque they definitely also added certain things to it like just first things I notice -

1. Chain connecting together below her belly bottom between the leg strap things
2. Iron part going across her clevage
3. straps going across her waist that used to be covered before

etc etc. I like some of these changes, And like I've said before I like the whole new outfit but yeah I can definitely get how other people would think that it's added too much and is incoherent now. definitely agree though on the "unapologetically sexualized" though. That's such a big part of Ivy and I always liked how dominatrix like her outfits were.

And obviously this is up for debate and others will think otherwise but just personally I feel like even If both show lots of skin this outfit looks a lot nicer to me than her SC4 one. ( Although I thought her SC4 one was fine anyway but that's just me lol ) Her SC5 outfit is amazing as well though.

This is how they reimagined Ivy's SC1 outfit in SC6:

ivy1-b.jpg

22_soul02.jpg

Here's Takuji Kawano's character illustration:

22_soul01.jpg

Characters always look better in his illustrations than in their 3D models....
A Soul Calibur in a 3D anime style like from Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, DB FighterZ) would probably be a visual feast.

Really liking these character illustrations for this game so far, That's not surprising though since SC has always had amazing looking art.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
In the name of Suzumiya Haruhi, Ivy don't leave much to the imagination lol its even more lewd and skimpy than her SC4 costume.(I ain't complaining ofc)

Huh, do you think? But her SC4 outfit was basically Ivy cosplaying rolled roast.

38427182-Raw-chicken-roll-ready-to-roast-on-a-cutting-board-with-garlic-and-bay-leaves-Stock-Photo.jpg

I think her SC6 costume lies in-between SC4 and SC5 what skimpiness and lewdness is concerned.

And obviously this is up for debate and others will think otherwise but just personally I feel like even If both show lots of skin this outfit looks a lot nicer to me than her SC4 one. ( Although I thought her SC4 one was fine anyway but that's just me lol ) Her SC5 outfit is amazing as well though.​

Yeah, I still think of the most recent SC games she looks best in SC5:

latest

Jadeinchains

Huh, do you think? But her SC4 outfit was basically Ivy cosplaying rolled roast.

38427182-Raw-chicken-roll-ready-to-roast-on-a-cutting-board-with-garlic-and-bay-leaves-Stock-Photo.jpg

I think her SC6 costume lies in-between SC4 and SC5 what skimpiness and lewdness is concerned.

latest

Wow lmao! XD Yeah...her SC4 outfit was giving that lol. I'd say her SC6 outfit is a lot more tasteful than the SC4 one, It's covering more skin and also just the way it is..It isn't just a bunch of strings covering her. Its definitely more tasteful etc.

And yeah I'd still say her outfits in SC5 are my favorite she's ever looked, Those ones were perfect imo. Still obviously need to see what her alternate outfit looks like in SC6 but SC5 is my favorite though I like this new one.

UpSideDownGRUNT

latest
her SC4 costume is just as skimpy as her SC6 one though lol its not like she's fully covered or anything. I remembered the SC4 one wrong but putting the two together they're borderline the same the only difference really is she has no underboob in SC6.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD