The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Onryoki

Standard Donor
On GDC (Game Developers Conference) developers managed to push what's possible on PS4 Pro:

Real-time demo of Book of the Dead on PS4 Pro:

Lost Soul Aside gameplay in 60fps on PS4 Pro:

I know it’s a while ago since you’ve posted this but do you have more info on these games? I really want to buy both of them but I don’t know when they’re gonna be released. They both look really amazing and both seem fun to play.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Guys, get ready, Digital Foundry took a close look at God of War:

Damn, what an effin' gorgeous looking game! O: Some of those environments are absolutely breathtaking and just magical. Not just the tech is on point here, but also the art and love to detail.

Biggest disappointment will be no photo mode at release of the game. But it's underway and will be patched in as soon as possible, as Cory Barlog, the director of the game, stated.

@Jadeinchains @ShinobiGuy

Hayabusiness

I'd like to revive this thread for when I'll be able to upload my Switch screenshots to a micro sd.
I got some cute stuff to share.

Also a million pages ago ppl were talking about Xenoblade Chronicles 2... I'm not sure if I'm the only one on this forum who played the game, but it was both a nice game and a huge disappointment at the same time.
But since this is the graphics thread, I'll only talk about its graphics, lol. So here is a preview of my opinions, more or less:
  • The game does have the problem of its predecessors, AKA big mc hueg world with crappy textures and what not...
  • Only this time around, only two or three locations really left a mark on me. I guess three or four (?) if you count very spoilery story ones, but those don't look particularly striking from an aesthetic standpoint... more like they impressed me due to the story tied to them.
  • The character designs are all over the fucking place I'll tell you that.
  • I might post some portable mode screenshots. You may rip your eyes out.
Also partially related, Splatoon 2 is a treat, much like Splatoon on Wii U. I love my squiddos.

Jackie Chan Fan

I like how the new Devil May Cry looks. I don't like how the old Dante looks though. Just saw a screenshot.

Cyberpunk looks amazing too.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I have to say after watching direct feed gameplay of DOA6 it's really jarring to go back to Soul Calibur 6 gameplay videos even with the new improvements DOA6 completely blows it out of the water.

The lighting, shadows, visual effects are really aesthetically pleasing. How can DOA6 which is a fairly niche game and just an improved DOA5 look way better than a way popular fighting game series like Tekken and Soul Calibur??

It looks about on par with Injustice 2

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I have to say after watching direct feed gameplay of DOA6 it's really jarring to go back to Soul Calibur 6 gameplay videos even with the new improvements DOA6 completely blows it out of the water.

The lighting, shadows, visual effects are really aesthetically pleasing. How can DOA6 which is a fairly niche game and just an improved DOA5 look way better than a way popular fighting game series like Tekken and Soul Calibur??

It looks about on par with Injustice 2
Yeah despite some of the naysayers even on this forum I think they've done a beautiful job on 6. The game, even this far from release, looks so well polished and taken care of. It's going to be a blast to experience I'm sure.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
How can DOA6 which is a fairly niche game and just an improved DOA5 look way better than a way popular fighting game series like Tekken and Soul Calibur??

Well, apart from time and money, talent and ambition are also important factors for great visuals. Team Ninja was always comprised of artists/designers that strove for beauty.

The video is a bit compressed, so you can't see it that well, but look at Helena's hand models from 6:57 on. Slow down the speed of the video and pause when Helena's hands are in the foreground:

The hands are so well modelled, dainty and elegant. O:

Edit:
This is by the way the PS4 version of the game. No stupid tricks of just showing us 4K PC footage till the end like Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

And this is only the Pre-Alpha PROTOTYPE, it's very possible it'll look even better on launch. As someone who was very negative and skeptical, the more I see of this game the more I get excited.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
And this is only the Pre-Alpha PROTOTYPE, it's very possible it'll look even better on launch. As someone who was very negative and skeptical, the more I see of this game the more I get excited.

Yesterday I also took some screens of Kasumi in Dead or Alive 5 and directly compared them to the footage of DOA6. Yes, Kasumi superficially looks the same...but they did actually rework her model in multiple ways. The hair for example is made up of a lot more polygons, everything is way smoother modelled and the ponytail has more links and flows better during movement. Hair textures are also a lot crisper and, and this might make some heere happy, they dialed the transparency of it down. Kasumi's hair ribbon also is made of more polygons and is better textured, her ear is modelled more roundly, her skin texture is improved, especially pores and lines on her lips. Her eyes have crisper irises, with more detail in them and they don't apear as flat and cartoony but more natural. Her eyebrows are just textures, but now you can see every hair instead of a blurry mess in DOA5 and so on...

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I took some pictures in Gran Turismo sport, I don’t know if this is the right thread, but I really wanted to share them.
82F7C9F8-F923-421C-9984-61ADE544FAF9.jpeg
4B2F8D24-4C78-4BDA-B49D-73A460CEADEE.jpeg
F474112D-D370-4F19-B02F-A329FEFC0871.jpeg

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, on the subject of fighting games, MK11 is visually far superior to DOA6. I realize they have a lot more money to work with, but the lighting is excellent, and they finally ditched that uncanny valley look that plagued Injustice. New costume designs are generally good. Blood is a little... glassy-looking (could be better)? Animations also seem far more fluid now. MK11 might be the first competently-animated "2D fighter" in years.
maxresdefault.jpg

Then you got DOA6, with this:
oug-nico-a.jpg

687474703a2f2f32352e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f74756d626c725f6c7a6c63647a345a62313172706f7938396f315f3530302e676966

Dr PaC

Well, on the subject of fighting games, MK11 is visually far superior to DOA6. I realize they have a lot more money to work with, but the lighting is excellent, and they finally ditched that uncanny valley look that plagued Injustice. New costume designs are generally good. Blood is a little... glassy-looking (could be better)? Animations also seem far more fluid now. MK11 might be the first competently-animated "2D fighter" in years.
maxresdefault.jpg

Then you got DOA6, with this:
oug-nico-a.jpg

687474703a2f2f32352e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f74756d626c725f6c7a6c63647a345a62313172706f7938396f315f3530302e676966
Yea, as far as 3d Fighters go, DOA is the best looking when compared to Tekken 7 or SCVI. But for Fighters in general 2d or 3d, NRS absolutely killed it this gen. Like put that next to SFV and you'll vomit. I like all these games btw, lol. But facts are facts. I say MK11 > DOA6 > SCVI are top 3 for Fighters graphics-wise

Baji Breakdancer

I think it's hard to compare MK11 and DOA6 with just still images. MK11 definitely has more resolution and detail, but I think that only makes it look shiny in still images. Mortal Kombat animation is so janky and stiff, and I find the faces creepy. If we're talking graphics as in "nice and effective to look at while you're playing it," I think DOA6 is actually pretty far ahead regarding quality. It's not always about money and resources that makes something look nice.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD