E4. Breakable Objects
E5. Environmental Hazards

F. Force Techs

G. Unholdables

H. Untechables

I. Whiff Punishment

J. Tips and Tricks

K. Special Thanks and Shoutouts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. Getting Started

Welcome to my Jacky Guide. YEEAAAAHH! To get started, it is important that you get familiar with the numerical notations for the moves. If you are not familiar with these numbers, have a look at the picture below. A move usually consists of one or more of those numbers, which is followed by a letter or a combination of letters. The numbers represent directions for the moves, whereas the letters represent the corresponding button(s) you need to press. For example, if we were to say ‘3P’, we actually mean ‘down-forward punch’. And if we say ‘44P+K’, we actually mean ‘back back punch plus kick’.

upload_2015-7-21_14-5-47.png

Legend

:P: – Punch
:K: – Kick
:h: – Hold
:H+P: – Throw

NH = Normal Hit
CH = Counter Hit
HCH = Hi-Counter Hit
BT = Back-turned
FA = Frame Advantage
SS = Sidestep
FSK = Flash Sword Kick
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B. Introducing Jacky

Jacky Bryant is a character whose roots lie in Virtua Fighter. In Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, he became part of the character roster. His fighting style is Jeet Kune Do, which is shared with Jann Lee. His sister is Sarah Bryant, whom he also shares a couple of moves with. As we all know, Jacky’s accompanies a lot of his moves with his iconic YEEAAAAHH shout.

Jacky is one of those characters who is easy to learn, but hard to master. His playstyle mainly consists of playing the stun game and keeping the opponent guessing. It is not always easy to land a stun. Therefore the Jacky player should make use of his frame traps in order to apply pressure. If Jacky's opponent is not careful or patient enough, chances are considerably higher that the Jacky player lands the stun. Another important aspect of Jacky’s playstyle is making use of free cancels. As a rule of thumb, Jacky’s free cancels are safe or advantageous on block, whereas his finished strings are unsafe on block (see section C7 for additional information about Jacky’s safety). Also, Jacky can make use of his massive string delay to trick his opponent and get a stun. Last but not least, learning Jacky’s Flash Sword Kick is a vital element to play him as effectively as possible.

Jacky’s Pros and Cons

Pros
+ Decent neutral strike speed (10/12/12)
+ Massive delay on his strings
+ Frame Traps
+ Deep Stuns
+ Sabaki’s
+ Strike Throws
+ Strong ranged game
+ Outstanding wall game
+ Excellent environmental game
+ Good whiff punishment
+ YEEAAAAHH! (if you are the Jacky player)

Cons

- Relies a lot on high strikes
- Neutral stance leaves him vulnerable to Hi-Counter Throws
- Strings are static, predictable and unsafe on block
- Has trouble opening up the opponent
- Almost no guaranteed setups
- No expert holds
- YEEAAAAHH! (if your opponent is the Jacky player)
C. Moveset Breakdown

C1.
Jaimy’s Top 20 Moves

Let’s start off with my personal Top 20 Moves for Jacky in no particular order of usefulness. Note that this list only refers to Jacky’s moves in the neutral game. There are plenty of other amazing moves for Jacky, such as Slide Shuffle P, but that doesn’t count as a move which you can throw out in neutral. Also, I only included Jacky’s strikes, since there will be analysis on his throws and holds further on in the guide.

:P: – Jacky’s jab is a move which I would always recommend to any Jacky player. It is Jacky’s fastest strike at i10 (tied with 44P, which is also i10) and has tons of follow-ups. However, the main reason why I put P on my list is because it is +1 on block. Jacky thus creates a frame trap situation and can apply pressure with his fastest move! He also has a variation of his jab, which is his Straight Lead Jab (6_P). This will move Jacky forward while he is doing his jab. His 6_P is +1 on block, just like his regular jab. Additionally, his jab is a great move for extending combos (see section D for additional information about Jacky’s combos).

:2::P: – 2P is only i12 making it Jacky’s fastest high crush. It’s neutral (+0) on Normal Hit so it is a very good move for pressure and conditioning. It is also safe on block (-4). Use this move in combos or to keep your opponents in check.

:6::P: – 6P is Jacky’s fastest mid strike at 12 startup frames (tied with 2H+K, which also has 12 startup frames). It is semi-safe at -6 on block and it’s also -6 on Normal Hit. On Counter Hit and Hi-Counter Hit, however, the stun gives +20 frame advantage if your opponent is stagger escaping on fastest. This will allow almost all of his moves to connect and forces the opponent in a hold situation. 6P has a decent range as well. The only downside of this move is that the follow-up of 6P is always a high strike. A high-level player can hold the follow-up high strike on reaction.

:3::P: string – 3P and its string follow-ups is another move of Jacky which is a must in your arsenal. 3P is i14 and gives +29 on fastest stagger escape. Additionally, this move grants a stun on all hit statuses, including Normal Hit. What’s more, 3P is safe on block (-5) so it’s never a risk to throw out this move. Its follow-ups are pretty good as well. 3PP is a natural combo / 2-in-1, which means if they get hit by the first punch of this string, they cannot hold the second punch. It gives +20 on fastest stagger escape and is only -6 on block, just like his 6P. I recommend 3PP to every Jacky player; the properties make it a beautiful movestring. Jacky can also go into his Slide Shuffle with the input 3PP4. It is -9 on block and gives +17 on fastest stagger escape. Then there is 3PPP, which is mainly used to wall splat your opponent. Since 3PP is a natural combo, they only have one chance to hold the last high punch. 3PPP looks unsafe on block, but it is actually semi-safe at -6. 3PPP+K (no charge) is in my opinion the least useful string follow-up of Jacky’s 3P. It is -13 on block and gives +15 on hit on fastest stagger escape. You’d be better off going for his 3P or 3PP. Fully charging his 3PPP+K gives +9 on block. On hit it gives a crumple stun which forces the opponent in a must-hold situation. Although it is good on paper, fully charged 3PPP+K is a pretty obvious movestring. Any experienced player will most likely hold the last mid punch on reaction.

:1::P: – 1P is another high crush of Jacky and is i19. It has the option of going into his Slide Shuffle stance with the input 1P4. 1P is safe on block at -5 and is neutral (+0) for 1P4. The frame advantage on fastest stagger escape is +16 for 1P, and +21 for 1P4. Another good property of this move is that it has tracking.

:4::P::1::P: – 4P1P starts out with an i20 frame tracking high punch and ends with an i20 tracking low punch. What makes this movestring really good is that the whole string has genuine tracking properties, so it can’t be sidestepped. It’s also safe on block at -4. Furthermore, the stun gives +19 on fastest stagger escape on all hit levels, allowing for some threatening follow-ups. The downside of this move is that if the first punch whiffs or gets blocked and the second punch hits on Normal Hit – which happens once in a while –, the Jacky player will be left at -3 frame disadvantage.

:4::4::P: – 44P is Jacky’s second 10 frame high punch, but this one leaves him back-turned. This move is amazing. In a stun, it gives Jacky a tremendous amount of frame advantage (+25 on fastest stagger escape). This will allow all of his back-turned moves to connect, which makes Jacky threatening because he has solid BT options. It is also safe at -3 on block and has tracking properties.

:K: string – Jacky’s K string works very well as a Normal Hit stun opener. His KPPPK string begins with a 15 frame high kick followed up by a mid punch, two high punches and ends with a high kick. All of the follow-ups in this string are massively delayable, which makes this string very good for mind games and hold baiting. If you don’t want to risk getting held, KP gives +15 on fastest stagger escape which is okay. KPPP gives even more advantage (+21 on fastest stagger escape). The full movestring (KPPPK) should only be used in combos, since it is unsafe at -8 on block and easily held on reaction. Jacky also has a KK variant. The second kick of KK tracks but is very unsafe on block (-15), so be careful and use it only to stuff a sidestep.

:3::K: string – 3K is an i16 mid kick which is one of your primary pokes at medium range. Its follow-up (3KP) is always a high punch, so a seasoned player can hold it on reaction. If 3KP hits, however, the advantage on fastest stagger escape is +18, which is pretty nice. After 3KP, Jacky has access to a high kick follow-up with (3KPK4) or without (3KPK) a Slide Shuffle transition, a low kick to high kick follow-up (3KP2KK) and a Side Slide Shuffle transition (3KP2/8P+K). Mix up these follow-ups to keep your opponent guessing.

:4::K: – Jacky’s 4K has 15 startup frames and is safe on block (-5). It stuns on Normal Hit and the advantage is +13, which can lead into a P or 44P on fastest stagger escape. On Counter Hit and Hi-Counter Hit, however, the advantage is +20 on fastest stagger escape. It has delayable string follow-ups as well. All these beneficial properties make the move well worth it.

:6_::K::5::h: – The infamous Flash Sword Kick (6_K.H) is an i16 just-frame tracking high kick. What I mean by just-frame is that you need to press H on exactly the 16th frame of the regular 6_K, which is also 16 frames by itself (see section C6 for additional information about input execution tips of the Flash Sword Kick). The move is godlike because it is a moderately quick launcher at i16 and +3 on block! Your opponent has to respect your block advantage. The Flash Sword Kick is also necessary for damage optimization.

:6::6::K: – 66K is a 15 frame mid kick with ridiculous range. It’s an excellent tool for whiff punishing and works really well at mid to long range. It causes a knockdown on hit and can even be used as a combo ender. I would say 66K is Jacky’s most reliable wall splat, too. The move is -7 on block, so it can be neutral thrown.

:6::P+K: – Jacky’s Bil Jee (6P+K) is easily a top 20 move. It is an i14 high punch which moves Jacky forward. It has good range, is very safe on block (-2), stuns on Normal Hit and gives +28 on fastest stagger escape.

:4::P+K: – 4P+K is an i19 tracking high punch which is unsafe on block (-8). The good thing about this move is that it causes a faint stun on all hit statuses. This guarantees a 6_P, 6P, 2H+KK or 9K. Since 9K wall splats, this follow-up is recommended when your opponent is with their back to the wall. The first kick of Jacky's 9K is a true mid, by the way. 4P+K itself can also be used as a wall splat.

:2::P+K: – 2P+K is an i22 mid punch which is +1 on block. 2P+K can also transition in his Slide Shuffle (2P+K4) and his Side Slide Shuffle (2P+K2/8P+K), which both give him +6 advantage on block. On hit, it gives a +16 sit-down stun, guaranteeing 6P, 7K, 9K, 2H+K and Slide Shuffle P+K as possible follow-ups. A great use for 2P+K would be after his mid punch hold (4H), effectively making it a 12 frame move since his 4H gives +10 frame advantage (see section C5 for additional information about Jacky’s holds).

:1::P+K: string – I won’t say much about 1P+K other than that it is i16, -6 on block and that it gives a hitstun which equals +17 on all hit levels on fastest stagger escape. What’s more important are the massively delayable follow-ups in this string. All follow-up moves can be delayed by about 13 frames which is quite long. 1P+KP is one of Jacky’s basic Normal Hit stun openers. It is very good because this movestring nets high reward (i.e. +19 advantage on fastest stagger escape) and carries only a small risk (i.e. -5 on block). 1P+KPP is -16 on block and should therefore never be thrown out randomly in neutral. You will get punished for it! Use it only in combos, or delay the last punch if you see an opportunity to wall splat your opponent with the last punch. 1P+KPP can lead into his Side Slide Shuffle Stance via an additional 2P+K or 8P+K input. It is safe on block at -4, and the follow-up punch from Side Slide Shuffle will connect on fastest stagger escape. It also causes a cross-up situation (see section C3 for additional information about Jacky’s Side Slide Shuffle stance and its properties). 1P+KPK is semi-safe at -7 on block. The last kick tracks, so use it when you believe your opponent will attempt a sidestep. Moreover, 1P+KPK is a common combo ender. 1P+KK is unsafe on block at -8. The function of this move should primarily be a wall splat, but it can also be used in certain combos. Don’t throw this one out in neutral!

:2::H+K: string – This movestring starts out with an i12 mid kick, followed by another two mid kicks and ends with two high kicks. It’s a pretty good movestring to open up your opponent and stuns on Normal Hit. Keep ‘em guessing with this string and alternate between doing one, two or three kicks. It’s a very good string to bait out holds as well. Don’t finish the full movestring because it causes a bound which doesn’t allow Jacky to do any follow-ups at all. An experienced player can also most likely hold this string on reaction if they know the hit levels of the kicks. You can also catch all sidestep attacks using this movestring. However, it has weird re-tracking properties in the sense that your opponent can side step the whole string if they don’t decide to do a sidestep attack. Unfortunately, this movestring is very unsafe on block after whichever kick you free cancel the string, so be careful with it.

:3::H+K: – 3H+K is one of Jacky’s main whiff punishers at medium range. It is a fast i15 high kick and tracks, catching all sidesteppers. It is -7 on block, but at the very tip of 3H+K, it is -6 on block. It cannot be neutral thrown if this move is being blocked beyond close range, so that makes the move range-safe. It causes a knockdown on hit, and is also very useful as a wall splat.

:4::H+K: – The Spin Heel Sword (4H+K) is a 20 frame mid kick and is -8 on block. It covers quite some distance. It is not recommended to throw this move out in neutral. Rather, use this move for whiff punishment (e.g. whiff punishing wake-up kicks). Once it lands, your opponent bounces and this allows for damaging follow-ups. You also need 4H+K to maximize Jacky’s combo damage.

:6::H+K: – This move has 17 startup frames and is unsafe on block (-8). But it’s a both a reliable whiff punishment tool as well as a nice force tech. Moreover, the moves gives a decent hitstun on fastest stagger escape (+18) on all hit statuses. Finally, this move is one of Jacky's few true mid strikes.

Honorable mentions

:P::4::K: – Punch Side Kick (P4K) is in my opinion one of Jacky’s most underrated moves. It starts out with his regular 10 frame jab, and ends with a 14 frame mid kick. Note that the follow-up kick has 8 delay frames, which is pretty good. This move gives a moderate stun of +15 on fastest stagger escape, but it will still allow his 6P or 6_P to connect. Furthermore, P4K is semi-safe on block (-6) and is a 2-in-1 on Counter Hit.

:2::K::P::P: – Jacky’s 2KP is a move in which he fakes out his low kick into a mid punch. The mid punch itself is i20 and -4 on block. On hit, it gives an advantage of +18 on fastest stagger escape, which is pretty good. Jacky also moves forward as he does the punch, so it has good range. It also has a high punch follow-up which can be delayed for 14 frames. Be wary though, because the full string is unsafe at -8 on block.

:H+K: – H+K is an i23 tracking high kick. Since this move is so slow, it should be used for catching sidesteppers or after a deep stun like 6P+K. This move is unsafe at -8 on block and gives +25 on fastest stagger escape which is a very deep stun. It can transition into Slide Shuffle with H+K4, where it is safe at -2 on block. H+K4 grants +31 advantage on fastest stagger escape. H+K is also featured in his strings, such as PPK, 3PKP, 6PPK and PP6PPK.

:1::H+K: – 1H+K is a 19 frame tracking low kick which crushes all high strikes. On Normal Hit it gives a slight advantage of +2 on fastest stagger escape and it trips opponents at Counter Hit or Hi-Counter Hit. It is heavily unsafe at -18 on block, but it still has it uses as a force tech and it can be used very well to condition your opponent.

C2. Slide Shuffle Breakdown

Jacky’s raw Slide Shuffle is performed by doing 44P+K. It has sabaki properties against mid punches, meaning that it catches all mid punches in the 16 active frames this move has. This will give Jacky one guaranteed Slide Shuffle follow-up. To illustrate this, @KING has made an excellent video about the power of the Slide Shuffle sabaki. He shows many possible combos starting with the Slide Shuffle sabaki. Feel free to check it out.

Transitioning into Slide Shuffle (from safe to unsafe on block)

Jacky has plenty of ways to transition in his Slide Shuffle. These strings allow him to do so:

:4::4::P+K: (raw transition)

BT:4::P+K: (raw transition while back-turned)

:2::P+K::4: (+6 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:8::P+K::K::4: (+3 on block, +30 on fastest stagger escape)

BT :K::4: (+1 on block, knockdown on hit) (note that this is a hidden move; see section C10 for additional information about Jacky’s hidden moves)

:1::P::4: (+0 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:P::P::K::4: (-1 on block, +30 on fastest stagger escape)

:H+K::4: (-2 on block, +31 on fastest stagger escape)

:P::P::6::P::P::K::4: (-2 on block, +30 on fastest stagger escape)

:6::P::P::K::4: (-2 on block, +30 on fastest stagger escape)

:P+K::K::4: (-3 on block, +27 on fastest stagger escape)

:3::K::P::K::4: (-6 on block, +27 on fastest stagger escape)

:3::P::P::4: (-9 on block, +17 on fastest stagger escape)

Slide Shuffle :2::K::4: (-10 on block, +17 on fastest stagger escape)

I’d say his 2P+K4 and 1P4 transitions are his best transitions, because the first one grants the most frame advantage and it is a mid strike, whereas the second one is neutral (+0) on block and is a low strike which might be hard to see coming for your opponent.

Attacks from Slide Shuffle

Jacky has a plethora of moves in his Slide Shuffle stance:

Slide Shuffle :P: – Jacky quickest Slide Shuffle move is Gwa Chuie (Slide Shuffle P) at 13 startup frames. It is a high punch which is +1 on block and it gives +21 on all hit levels on fastest stagger escape. It’s a quick move which can pressure your opponent both on block and on hit. This is in my opinion Jacky’s best move from his Slide Shuffle stance.

Slide Shuffle :K: – This is one of Jacky’s Critical Bursts (the other being 66H+K). It is i22 and semi-safe at -6 on block. If the opponent is not slow escaping, you can use 2P+K4 into Slide Shuffle K to get a Critical Burst (see section D1 for additional information about Critical Burst Setups).

Slide Shuffle :2::K::K: – Slide Shuffle 2KK is an i24 low kick to high kick which is unsafe on block (-13). Use this mainly as a wall splat on a stunned opponent.

Slide Shuffle :P+K::P: – This is Jacky’s 19 frame mid punch stun into a mid punch launcher from Slide Shuffle. Slide Shuffle P+K gives a stun of +15 by itself on fastest stagger escape. Note that this movestring is not a natural combo / 2-in-1, unlike the 2-in-1 properties this move has in Virtua Fighter. The launch height got slightly buffed in Last Round, allowing for longer combos. Use this movestring only as a surprise attack, since it is very unsafe on block (-13).

Slide Shuffle :H+K: – Slide Shuffle H+K is an i22 tracking high kick which is only -1 on block. Again, use this mainly to surprise your opponents.

From his Slide Shuffle Stance, the Jacky player can input :3::3: to get access to special Ducking moves:

Slide Shuffle :3::3::P: – In my opinion this is Jacky’s best move from his Slide Shuffle 33 stance. It is safe on block (-5) and gives a crumple stun on all hit levels which forces your opponent in a must-hold situation. It crushes high strikes for a brief period as well.

Slide Shuffle :3::3::K: – Slide Shuffle 33K is semi-safe at -6 on block and launches the opponent at Critical Stun Level 3. It also has a throw follow-up, which is primarily what you will use Slide Shuffle 33K for (see section C4 for additional information about Jacky’s Strike Throws).

Slide Shuffle :3::3::H+K: – Jacky’s Fire Darts (Slide Shuffle 33H+K) is a high kick guard break which is -2 on block. Nothing really special if the opponent knows that the Jacky player is the one actually being left at disadvantage.

C3. Side Slide Shuffle Breakdown

Jacky’s Side Slide Shuffle is Jacky’s second unique stance. It doesn’t have a raw input and can only be accessed via certain movestrings. It also doesn’t have sabaki properties, unlike the Slide Shuffle.

Transitioning into Side Slide Shuffle (from safe to unsafe on block)

The following movestrings will allow Jacky to transition into his Side Slide Shuffle:

:P::P::4::P::2:/:8::P+K: (+0 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:4::P::2:/:8::P+K: (-2 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:1::P+K::P::2:/:8::P+K: (-4 on block, +20 on fastest stagger escape)

:3::K::P::2:/:8::P+K: (-5 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:P::P::6::P::P::2:/:8::P+K: (-6 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

:6::P::P::2:/:8::P+K: (-6 on block, +21 on fastest stagger escape)

In my opinion, PP4P2/8P+K and 1P+KP2/8P+K are the best movestrings to transition into Side Slide Shuffle. The former setup is +0 on block, whereas the latter setup is an ‘all-mid setup’ which can’t be crushed and causes a cross-up.

Attacks from Side Slide Shuffle

Side Slide Shuffle :P::P: – There is only one movestring available from Jacky’s Side Slide Shuffle, which is Side Slide Shuffle PP. You’ll be using the single punch more often than the double punch, since the double punch causes a knockdown which ends your stun game. The beauty about Side Slide Shuffle P is that the Side Slide Shuffle actually causes a cross-up after 1P+KP2/8P+K, letting Jacky hit his opponent in their back. Since it is a strike in their back, they cannot hold it! In other words, after the cross-up, Side Slide Shuffle P is guaranteed to hit. It gives +13 on fastest stagger escape if the punch hits their back, but gives +19 on fastest stagger escape if the punch hits their chest. The single punch is semi-safe at -7 on block, whereas the double punch is safe at -4 on block.

C4. Throw Breakdown

In this section, I will break down all of Jacky’s throws and list the damage to their corresponding hit levels (Normal Hit/Counter Hit/Hi-Counter Hit). Jacky’s throws are not only good damage-wise, but they are also viable because most of them cannot be tech rolled immediately. This allows for force tech setups (see section F for additional information about Jacky’s force techs).

:H+P: – Jacky’s neutral throw is i5 and is mainly used to punish semi-safe strikes of his opponent. 40/50/60

:6::H+P: – Jacky’s 6T is i7 and is one of his main punish throws. 45/56/67

:6::6::H+P: – This throw is also i7, but deals more damage. The downside compared to his 6T is that 66T requires an additional directional input, which makes it less comfortable to punish the strikes of your opponent. It has a wall version as well. 47/58/70; Wall version 57/71/85

:4::H+P: – Jacky’s i10 throw. Both suited as a punish throw as well as a throw to punish whiffed holds. 52/64/78

:6::4::H+P: – The Knee Strike (64T) is a brutally damaging throw but is slow at i12. Use this throw as a strong punish (e.g. against Kasumi’s 7K or Jann Lee’s 4PPP) or as a means of eating your opponent’s health bar if they whiff a hold. 66/82/99

:4::6::H+P: – The Sadistic Hanging Knee (46T) is also i12 but deals less damage than 64T. It has a wall version as well. If you follow up with the right juggle, which is usually: FSK > P+KP > 1P+KPP, it actually deals significantly more damage than his 64T. 60/74/90; Wall version 35 + follow-ups/43 + follow-ups/52 + follow-ups

:2::H+P: – Jacky’s i5 low throw is mainly used as a low throw punish, but can also be used to punish low holds. 45/55/66

:H+P: on BT opponents – i5 throw on back-turned opponents. This throw should be used to punish unsafe strikes which leave the opponent back-turned. 50/62/75

:2::H+P: on BT opponents – 2T on back-turned opponents is basically the same move as his 2T, but with an additional hit which makes this throw more damaging. Use this to punish unsafe strikes which leave the opponent back-turned and crouching (e.g. after Lisa’s running P). 50/61/73

Strike Throws

Next to all his regular throws, Jacky has access to two strike throws. A strike throw is just like the name implies; a strike followed by a throw.

:3::P+K::5::H+P: – Rage of Dragons (3P+K.T) is a strike throw which can be used in neutral. The initial 3P+K strike is i18 and unsafe on block (-8). I recommend only using 3P+K.T in stun because of these properties. It’s a very satisfying way to finish off your opponent, if I may say so (see section J for additional information about input execution tips of 3P+K.T). 69/75/81

Slide Shuffle :3::3::K::5::H+P: – The Toe Kick Somersault Kick (Slide Shuffle 33K.T) is Jacky’s second strike throw which can only be used in his Slide Shuffle stance. It’s not as risky on block as 3P+K.T, since it is semi-safe at -6 (see section J for additional information about input execution tips of Slide Shuffle 33K.T). 72/77/83

C5. Hold Breakdown

In this section, I will break down all of Jacky’s holds and list the damage to their corresponding hit levels (Normal Hit/Counter Hit/Hi-Counter Hit). I will go over his Sabaki’s as well.

:7::h: (High punch hold) – If your opponent tech rolls after you perform a high punch hold, you’ll be left at advantage. If they don’t tech roll, you can go for a 6H+K force tech. His high punch hold sets up for some unholdables, too. (see section G for additional information about Jacky’s Unholdables). 48/60/72

:7::h: (High kick hold) – Jacky’s high kick hold causes knockback. If they tech roll, they will be too far away for a possible unholdable setup. If they don’t tech roll, you can do a forward dash (66) and force tech them with 6H+K. 48/60/72

:4::h: (Mid punch hold) – Now this is where it’s at. Jacky’s mid punch hold is by far the best hold in his arsenal. It leaves him at +10 frame advantage, making a lot of his slow moves very dangerous. For example he can do his 2P+K which originally is i22. However, with the +10 advantage from his mid punch hold, the move technically becomes i12. That means this move will only be outstriked by i9 jabs, i10 jabs and i11 mids. If they block, you’ll be left at +1, and if they attempt a move which is slower than the modified i12 2P+K, you’ll get a sit-down stun. Don’t use it too often though, as you never want to be predictable. Another good move after his mid punch hold is 1H+K. It is an i19 low tracking kick which by definition catches all side steps. Subtracting 10 initial frames from 1H+K, the modified 1H+K becomes i9. This means that this move will always have priority over another strike. This is very useful on the stage Dangerzone on the blue tiles, since it gives a guaranteed ground bounce on counter hit (see section E3 for additional information about Jacky’s Dangerzone Setups and Combos). Again, use it with caution since you don’t want to be obvious towards your opponent. Against defensive opponents, another good option after Jacky’s 4H his Knee Strike (64T). This will award 66 damage on a guarding opponent, and 82 damage on a sidestepping opponent. 40 + 10 FA/49 + 10 FA/59 + 10 FA

:4::h: (Jumping punch hold) – Pretty straightforward. Jacky smacks his opponent to the ground. 53/66/79

:6::h: (Mid kick hold) – I haven’t much to say about Jacky’s mid kick hold. It’s pretty funny KO’ing an opponent with the floor damage this hold grants. 48/58/71

:6::h: (Jumping kick hold)– Just like Jacky’s jumping punch hold, nothing really needs to be explained here. It deals the same damage as his jumping punch hold. 53/66/79

:1::h: (Low punch hold) – Nothing really special about this hold other than that it looks super stylish and really cool. 48/60/72

:1::h: (Low kick hold) – Jacky’s low kick hold is quite funny because Jacky will fall on the ground together with his opponent. If both players decide to stay as long on the ground as possible, Jacky will be the first one to stand up. 48/60/72

Sabaki’s

Neutral Sabaki (Pak Sao) – Jacky’s Pak Sao is an automatic sabaki which catches all high punches and leave both players at neutral (+0). How do you perform it? By doing absolutely nothing! It’s hilarious, isn’t it? Well... not really since it leaves Jacky vulnerable to Hi-Counter Throws. It is more of a hindrance to Jacky than an actual advantage. Most of those Pak Sao’s happen by accident, too. 25/31/37

:4::4::P+K: (Slide Shuffle Sabaki) – As mentioned before, Jacky’s Slide Shuffle Sabaki catches all mid punches during its 16 active frames. It has one guaranteed Slide Shuffle follow-up. Damage N/A

C6. The Flash Sword Kick

I decided to devote an entire sub-section to Jacky’s Flash Sword Kick (FSK) since it is such a vital move in his arsenal. That’s not to say you necessarily need it to win, but it definitely helps a lot if you have mastered it. As stated before, the FSK is an i16 just-frame tracking high kick which launches on hit and is +3 on block. It’s also necessary for damage optimization in combos. I will now give some tips on the timing of the FSK.

Input execution tips for the FSK

I would first of all suggest that you learn how to use it as a raw move first. There are multiple ways to get the hang of the timing of the FSK:

The first method is to react visually. If Jacky is about to stretch his leg after 6_K, tap H. The second method is to react on sound. You should tap H right before the sound effect of the FSK. Of course practice makes perfect, so the more trials you give this move, the better it gets in your muscle memory. What I found effective is setting a goal for each day. For example, on day one I was satisfied if I could do the FSK 10% of the time. On day two I would be satisfied with 15% successful FSK’s. Each day you’ll improve if you keep doing this. Remember, never give up no matter what! On another note, if you want to master the Flash Sword Kick, don’t play online with Jacky. Doing FSK’s online interferes with the offline timing, most of the time.

If you feel that you have enough confidence with landing raw FSK’s, the next step I would suggest is that you apply the FSK in combos, but alternate between the FSK and other moves. For most people I know it's hard to land consecutive Flash Sword Kicks because of the strict timing.

You can practice this step perfectly with the following combo:
:6::P+K: > :4::4::P: > BT :P+K: > :2_::3::P: > :6_::K::5::h: > :4::H+K: > :6_::K::5::h: > :4::H+K: > :6_::K::5::h: > :6::6::K: (on Middleweights)

See how each FSK alternates with 4H+K? This gives you some breathing room to ‘prepare your brain’ for another FSK.

The third and last step would be that you practice consecutive FSK’s in combos. So this time there is no alternation between FSK’s and other moves, but you should do them in a row without interruption.

Some good combos to practice landing consecutive FSK’s would be the following:

:6::P+K: > :4::4::P: > BT :P+K: > :2_::3::P: > :6_::K::5::h: (x3) > :4::H+K: (x2) > :7::K: (on Lightweights)

:7::[[h+k]]: (Power Launcher) > :6_::P: (whiff) > :6_::K::5::h: (x4) > :H+K: (x2) > :7::K: (any weight class)

If you can do these combos consistently, congratulations! You have nailed the Flash Sword Kick, the hardest move in Jacky’s arsenal. As said before, mastering this move is crucial for getting the most out of Jacky. However, since his Bread & Butter combos are really damaging as well, the FSK isn't fully required to win matches with Jacky.

Tips and insights from DestructionBomb, Darkslay and Lulu

A few community members have shared their opinion about how to best practice and perform the Flash Sword Kick. Please have a look at the super helpful tips they give below.

@DestructionBomb:
This is how I did it - What I did was that I set the computer to block at all times and continuously focus on getting the timing right on the visual point as well as the feel upon coming into contact to the opponent so that you know you can get it right majority of the time. What's also great about this is that you can develop the timing to properly getting it right for the block version on that delicious (+3) move on block. You have to literally sit there and muscle memory it. Keep doing it multiple times, take a break and go back into it, make it different to where you develop your own ways to it (FSK, P > FSK or FSK > P on a blocking opponent) while trying other different difficult ways to absorb that practice. Eventually it will make sense and the timing has become not just easier but rather you are having fun with it learning. When you are having "fun" in a game, the likelyhood of succeeding and learning has increased and you will get it down in no time. Upon getting it down on it as a startup or whatever method you choose to do, you should now practice it within a string, juggle, PL etc. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake and dropping it. Consider it a concentration killer and a difficulty spike. You can keep practicing to the point that it feels like you hardly wasted any mental energy at all.

Regarding the FSK online - Don't worry about the online, we feel your pain on it as Jacky is one of the few characters that can suffer from this dearly because the timing has to be on hit and one of the reasons why I don't use quite use him much. Online buffering delays and timing can change the momentum+fate of the match entirely because you dropped that nice wall setup from a much later timing than the offline lab version. This is not your fault at all so do not get discouraged because you couldn't perform it online. I dropped this a dozen times too online so there is no shame to admit it. Mind you that we are not perfect and online sure as hell won't make us connect perfect attacks on hit all the time. Just keep having fun practicing and getting the timing done.

@Darkslay:
Here's how i did it - I essentially used the same method i used for learning the EWGF (in Tekken, i mean lol)

I put myself at full screen in a big stage and did FSKs until i hit the opponent (which amounts to 13 FSKs from full screen) without missing more than 4, then i switched to the other side and did the same thing, i repeated this exercise 3 times and then went to practice something else.
The second exercise i did was, having Jann Lee as my training dummy (of course lol) and setting him to do :6::P+K: repeatedly, after that i had to catch him in CH with the FSK which created the following pattern, knockdown > tech > CH again > repeat, and i continued doing it until i messed up 5 times and then i stopped and worked on something else.

That was actually a fairly quick way of getting good at using the move without stressing or pushing oneself too hard. I'm interested on reading other people's methods for learning the FSK. :)

@Lulu:
:) thats exactly the training method that helped me beat The Feather Weight combo challenge..... set the dummy to Block and do the practice the FSK.... at first I was only practicing three Consecutive Flash Sword.... but honestly thats not enough. So I decided to do it continuously until I eventually drop it.... try and fill the input log with nothing but the Flash Sword Kick inputs:
:6_::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h::K::5::h:..... and so on until you screw it up.

Every time I boot up DoA I set the Dummy to Block and try to recalibrate my my brain to get the timing before I actually try using it in a Fight....... learning FSK is like Learning a language.... you gotta practice and use it whenever you get the chance otherwise you'l forget it.

If you want practice you FSK links into Juggle Enders then turn on Counter hit and you can practice linking all his Launchers into FSKs and then All his FSKs into Enders as two different things..... because trying to perform the whole thing is hard and particulaly annoying when you need to build up your critical level to actually perform the juggle (that was the most annoying part about Jacky's combo challenge)

Turning On Counter Hit allows me to practice them separately...... then when I'm ready I'l turn it off and "glue" the whole combo together.... lol its so much fun ;).

C7. Jacky’s Safety

Knowing which moves are safe on block and unsafe on block is important. For this reason, I have made a list for Jacky’s safe and unsafe moves in numerical order. I hope it will prove useful in your training.

7P+K (Full Charge) --> +22 or +23 depending on distance
3PPP+K (Full Charge) --> +9
2P+K2/8P+K --> +6
2P+K4 --> +6
BT 1P+K (Towards a Wall) --> +6
6K∙H (Flash Sword Kick) --> +3
8P+KK --> +3
PP4PK --> +2
4PK --> +2
P --> +1
(6)P --> +1
2P+K --> +1
Slide Shuffle P --> +1
BT K4 --> +1

1P4 --> +0
PPK4 --> -1
8H+K --> -1
Slide Shuffle H+K --> -1
PP6PPK4 --> -2
6PKK4 --> -2
4P2/8P+K --> -2
2KP --> -2
6P+K --> -2
H+K4 --> -2
While running (6)H+K --> -2
Slide Shuffle 33H+K --> -2
4P --> -3
4PP --> -3
44P --> -3
P+KK4 --> -3
66H+K4 --> -3
BT P --> -3
2P --> -4
4P1P --> -4
PK --> -4
KPP --> -4
1P+KP2/8P+K --> -4
Side Slide Shuffle PP --> -4
3P --> -5
1P --> -5
8K --> -5
4K --> -5
3KP2/8P+K --> -5
1P+KP --> -5
Slide Shuffle 33P --> -5
BT 2P --> -5

PP --> -6
PPP --> -6
PP6P --> -6
PP6PP --> -6
PP6PP2/8P+K --> -6
6P --> -6
6PP --> -6
6PP2/8P+K --> -6
P4K --> -6
8PP --> -6
3PP --> -6
3PPP --> -6
SS P --> -6
K --> -6
KPPP --> -6
4KKKK --> -6
3K --> -6
3KPK4 --> -6
P+KP --> -6
1P+K --> -6
66H+K --> -6
Slide Shuffle K --> -6
Slide Shuffle 33K --> -6
BT K --> -6
PP6PPK --> -7
6PPK --> -7
1PK --> -7
66K --> -7
1P+KPK --> -7
3H+K --> -7
Side Slide Shuffle P --> -7
BT 2PK --> -7

44K --> -6
KP --> -8
KPPPK --> -8
4KK --> -8
4KKK --> -8
3KP --> -8
2KPP --> -8
SS K --> -8
4P+K --> -8
1P+KK --> -8
H+K --> -8
6H+K --> -8
4H+K --> -8
3P+K --> -8
Slide Shuffle P+K --> -8
BT 4P --> -8
3KPK --> -9
P+KK --> -9
PPK --> -10
P+K --> -10
8P+KP --> -10
7P+K --> -10
(2)3P --> -11
(6)K --> -12
2H+KK --> -12
7H+K --> -12 or -13 depending on distance
3PPP+K --> -13
3KP2KK --> -13
2H+KKK --> -13
Slide Shuffle 2KK --> -13
Slide Shuffle P+KP --> -13
2K --> -14
46H+K --> -14 or -15 depending on distance
BT 4K --> -14 or -15 depending on distance
KK --> -15
6K --> -15
(2)K --> -15
3KP2K --> -15
2H+KKKK --> -15
Slide Shuffle 2K --> -15
PP6PPP --> -16
PP6PP2K --> -16
PP6PK --> -16
6PPP --> -16
6PP2K --> -16
6PK --> -16
4P2K --> -16
9KK --> -16
1P+KPP --> -16
2H+K --> -16
H+KK --> -18
1H+K --> -18
2H+KKKKK --> -19
8P --> -21
7K --> -26 or -27 depending on distance

C8. Back-turned (BT) Moves

Jacky has five moves which put him back-turned. They are: PP4PK, 4PK, 44P, 44K and 66H+K4. PP4PK and 4PK are by far the best ones on a guarding opponent since they leave Jacky +2 on block. 44P is also very good, since it is as fast as his jab at i10 and safe at -3 on block. 44K is the best one if Jacky’s opponent is with his back to the wall. While back-turned, Jacky has access to a couple of moves:

BT :P: – BT P is an i10 back-turned jab which is -3 on block and -1 on Normal Hit. These properties make BT P dramatically inferior to his front-turned P, which is +1 on block and also +1 on Normal Hit. You should therefore always try to go for follow-ups when doing BT P.

BT :4::P: – Jacky’s BT 4P is basically the same move as Slide Shuffle P+K. It is i19, -8 on block, has tracking and gives +15 on fastest stagger escape on all hit levels. I suggest only using this move during stun.

BT :2::P::K: – BT 2P is an i20 low punch, is -5 on block and gives +18 frame advantage on fastest stagger escape. BT 2PK, on the other hand, is -7 on block and causes a knockdown on hit. For these reasons, I find BT 2P superior to BT 2PK. You can use BT 2P to continue your stun game with a strike equal to or faster than 16 startup frames. The best use I’ve found for BT 2PK is to use it as a wall splat.

BT :K: – Turn Kick (BT K) is a 14 frame high kick and is semi-safe at -6 on block, whereas his hidden BT K4 is +1 on block. Since it will always cause a knockdown on hit, I recommend BT K4 over BT K.

BT :2::K: – BT 2K has 17 startup frames, is heavily unsafe on block at -16 and gives +6 frame advantage on fastest stagger escape. However, on an opponent's back BT 2K gives +18 on fastest stagger escape, which is decent. It is best used after 44K near a wall.

BT :4::K: – BT 4K is also i17, just like BT 2K. It is a tracking mid kick which is unsafe at -15 on block and causes a knockdown on hit. It is mainly used as a wall splat.

BT :P+K: – Blind Back Knuckle (BT P+K) is in my opinion Jacky best back-turned move. It is a slow non-tracking mid punch at i20, but it is safe at -5 on block and causes a crumple stun on hit. A crumple stun is a very useful type of stun, because they can’t slow escape it. They have to guess between a throw and a strike mix-up. I recommend using BT P+K during stun. It is not slow-escapable after 44P since the stun is +25 on fastest stagger escape, and it is even guaranteed after 44K in open stance which gives Jacky another guaranteed follow-up. YEEAAAAHH!

C9. Sidestep Attacks

Jacky has two sidesteps attacks: SS P and SS K.

SS :P: – SS P is an i25 mid punch which is -1 on Normal Hit and gives a stun of +15 on Counter Hit and Hi-Counter Hit. It is a very good move at the wall because it wall splats. Use it to stuff your opponent’s linear attack and retaliate with a wall splat.

SS :K: – Jacky’s SS K is an i26 mid kick which stuns on Normal Hit. It’s essentially the same move as 4K. The only difference between the two is that 4K is safe at -5 on block, whereas SS K is unsafe at -8 on block. Don’t throw this one out randomly and try to read your opponent’s non-tracking strike. It gives a hitstun of +13 on fastest stagger escape, which will allow his jab to connect.

C10. Hidden Moves

Jacky has three hidden moves. Two of those moves are wall jumps, and the other one is a listed move with a hidden Slide Shuffle transition.

BT :1::P+K: – The React Round Kick (BT 1P+K) is one of Jacky’s hidden wall jumps. Not only does he need to be back-turned, but he also has to face the wall directly. This i29 mid kick will give Jacky +5 on block and causes a faint stun on hit. The faint stun usually allows for a P+KP > 1P+KPK juggle. Be careful with this move though. It is very situational and it doesn’t have much range, so it whiffs easily.

BT :7::P+K: – BT 7P+K is Jacky’s second wall jump. It flips Jacky over the opponent if they are close enough, switching sides. I have found no effective use for it, other than you can confuse your opponent by jumping over them and that it looks pretty cool.

BT :K::4: – While BT K is a move listed in Jacky’s in-game moveset, his hidden Slide Shuffle Transition is not. BT K4 is +1 on block and causes a knockdown on hit.
D. Combos

D1.
Critical Burst Setups

Critical Bursting opponents is quite important for Jacky, since it grants him access to land 4H+K on his opponents’ back, letting him deal heavy damage with a long juggle. In this sub-section, I have listed a few Critical Burst Setups on CH which cannot be slow escaped.

:6::P: > :P::P::6::P: > :P: > :6::6::H+K:

:6::P: > :6::H+K: > :3::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:6::P::P: > :4::P+K: > :6_::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:6::P+K: > :4::4::P: > BT :P+K: > :6::6::H+K:

:6::P+K: > :6::P: > :4::K: > :P: > :6::6::H+K:

:6::P+K: > :H+K::4: > Slide Shuffle :3::3::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:1::P+K::P::2:/:8::P+K: > Side Slide Shuffle :P: > :P: > :6::6::H+K:

:4::P::2:/:8::P+K: > Side Slide Shuffle :P: > :3::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:3::P::P: > :P: > :H+K::4: > Slide Shuffle :K:

:3::P::P: > :P::P::K::4: > Slide Shuffle :K:

:3::P::P::[[p+k]]: > :6::6::H+K:

:4::K: > :1::P+K::P: > :6::P+K: > :6::6::H+K:

:4::K: > :P: > :6::6::H+K::4: > BT :P: > :6::6::H+K:

:4::K: > :6::P::P::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:4::K: > :3::K::P::K::4: > Slide Shuffle :K:

:H+K: > :2::P+K: > :6::P: > :3::P: > :6::6::H+K:

:H+K: > :P: > :H+K::4: > Slide Shuffle :K:

As you might have noticed, Jacky has two Critical Bursts (66H+K and Slide Shuffle K). Slide Shuffle K has been a Critical Burst since DOA5LR, and it is a force to be reckoned with. To demonstrate, @samuraihachi has made a short video showing the potential of Jacky’s Slide Shuffle K. I recommend watching his video because it shows some interesting setups.

D2. Launchers

Obviously we need launchers to get our combos going. These moves are Jacky’s launchers:

:2_::3::P: – Smash Upper (2_3P) is an i15 mid punch launcher which gives a very decent launch height. This will be your main launcher outside of a Critical Burst. It is -11 on block.

:3::P: – 3P is an i14 high punch which launches on Critical Stun Level 3, but also if you use this move two times in a row.

:6::K: – 6K is a 17 frame mid kick launcher which is Jacky’s most damaging launcher in the neutral game, but gives a lower launch height than his 2_3P. 6K is -15 on block.

:6_::K::5::h: – The Flash Sword Kick (6_K.H) is a high kick launcher. Use it to surprise your opponent since it has good reach and is relatively quick at i16.

:4::K::K::K: – 4KKK is a movestring in which the third kick causes a launch. It’s only reliable as a launcher near the wall since the knockback of the first two kicks doesn’t allow you to follow up with a juggle consistently in open space.

:8::P+K::P: – 8P+KP is an i41 mid punch that bounds the opponents on all hit levels. It proves to be particularly useful as a launcher near the wall, especially after a Critical Burst (see section D4 for additional information about Jacky’s Maximum Damage Combos).

:4::H+K: – 4H+K is an i20 mid kick which also bounds the opponent on all hit levels. On the back of the opponent however, it is the best launcher in his arsenal. This works very well after a Critical Burst. You have plenty of time to free step behind your opponent and hit them in their back with 4H+K after a Critical Burst. It’s unsafe on block though at -8, so be careful. It also causes a Heavy Bound in juggles, which allows for many different follow-ups.

:4::6::H+K: – Middle Spin Kick (46H+K) is an i17 mid kick launcher which again bounds the opponent on all hit levels. It can only be used near a wall. This move has too many recovery frames, so you have too little time to dash towards your opponent and land a juggle in open space.

Slide Shuffle :3::3::K: – Slide Shuffle 33K only launches at Critical Stun Level 3, just like 3P. It gives the lowest launch height and is by far his worst launcher.

Slide Shuffle :P+K::P: – Slide Shuffle P+KP is Jacky’s only launcher outside of neutral, next to Slide Shuffle 33K. It is especially useful after his Slide Shuffle sabaki, since Slide Shuffle P+K will be guaranteed after it and it is not easy to react to the follow-up punch.

D3. General Combos

To get familiar with Jacky basic Bread and Butter Combos, I recommend watching the combo video made by @866AiN999. It provides a lot of different setups and combos and may be useful for learning Jacky’s general juggles and combo enders.

D4. Maximum Damage Combos

Optimizing damage is important for getting the most out of your character. To this end, I have created a maximum damage combo video for Jacky. I’ve included a Stun Level 1 Combo, Stun Level 2 Combo, Stun Level 3 Combo, Critical Burst Combo, Wall Combo and Critical Burst Wall Combo for each weight class. At the end a Universal Power Launcher Combo is shown. For those curious of the damage values on all hit levels and input notations, please stop by at this thread: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/jacky-combo-video-maximum-damage-potential.5635/

D5. YEEAAHH! Style Combos

This section constitutes the ‘entertainment part’ of the guide. YEEAAHH! @DestructionBomb has made an amazing Combo Exhibition showcasing Jacky’s most stylish setups, combos and juggles. In my opinion, all of these combos are really cool and original, so feel free to check out his video below.

E. Environmental Game

E1.
Wall Splats and Wall Combos

Jacky is a character with an outstanding wall game. He has loads of wall splats and very damaging follow-ups. His most reliable wall splats are K, 3H+K, 66K, PK, 6PK and SS P. The wall juggle varies per weight class. To illustrate this, @samuraihachi has made an excellent Wall Splat Combo Video showing Jacky’s wall potential. He shows a lot of interesting and viable setups in this video, including many different wall splats as well as Jacky’s best follow-ups. Feel free to watch this awesome video. I’m sure it will help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2KF8YmhcU

E2. Stage Combos

@CrayCraySteady has made an awesome video for Jacky showing his potential in various stages. Note that a lot of these combos are not guaranteed, however they still provide a good overview of Jacky’s environmental capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qwEKDAgOyg

E3. Dangerzone Setups and Combos

Dangerzone is a stage which lets Jacky deal tons of damage if used correctly. These moves will cause a ground bounce on the blue tiles:

Raw moves

:8::P+K::P: (NH)

:4::6::H+K: (NH)

:P+K: (CH and HCH)

:1::H+K: (CH and HCH)

:2::P+K: (Critical Stun Level 3 only)

:7::h: (High kick hold)

:1::h: (Low punch hold; unable to follow up with anything)

:1::h: (Low kick hold; unable to follow up with anything)

In a juggle

:6::P::P::2::K:

:2_::K:

:4::H+K: (causes a ground bounce the 3rd time this move is used in a juggle)

No-timing Dangerzone combos

The following universal no-timing combos can be used after the huge fall on Dangerzone:

:4::H+K: (whiff) > :4::H+K: (x2) > :K::P::P::P::K: (76 damage; easy version)

:1::H+K: (whiff) > :6_::K::5::h: (x4) > :4::H+K: (x2) > :4::6::H+K: (100 damage; hard version)

E4. Breakable Objects

After you smash your opponent into a breakable object, I recommend one of the following setups:

:2::P+K: > :6::P: > Mix-up (2P+K and 6P are both guaranteed)

:2::P+K: > :6::P: > Throw (2P+K and 6P are both guaranteed)

:2_::3::P: + appropriate juggle (2_3P is guaranteed)

:4::H+K: + appropriate juggle (4H+K is guaranteed)

E5. Environmental Hazards

Usually, after smacking your opponent into any environmental hazard, such as the RPG on Dangerzone, the Tiger Rings on the Tiger Show or the generator on the top floor of Scramble, your Bread & Butter Combo would be:

:4::H+K: (x2) > :6_::K::5::h: > :1::P+K::P::K:

If you want to perform an easier, slightly less damaging combo, my recommendation would be:

:4::H+K: (x2) > :K::P::P::P::K:

Jacky also has a guaranteed Slip Stun setup. If you land a counter hit 1P on a slippery surface, it will guarantee his 2_3P launcher. Afterwards, you can do one of these juggles (tested on middleweight):

:4::H+K: (x2) > :K::P::P::P::K: (89 damage)

:P: > :4::H+K: (x2) > :6_::K::5::h: > :1::P+K::K: (87 damage)

:P: > :4::H+K: (x2) > :1::P+K::P::K: (86 damage)

:6_::K::5::h: > :P+K::P: > :1::P+K::P::P: (85 damage)

Note that Slide Shuffle 2K serves the same purposes as 1P, and Slide Shuffle 2KK is even fully guaranteed as a counter hit on slippery surfaces, which may be useful as a wall splat setup.
F. Force Techs

Jacky’s most important force techs are: 2P, 1H+K and 6H+K.

:2::P: – 2P is useful as a force tech with after throws which keep the opponent close to Jacky, such as T, 2T, 2T on BT opponents and 64T. Note that this is not an actual force tech, in the sense that the opponent can stay on the ground once they get hit by 2P. In this way, it is very similar to Helena’s Bokuho 6P force tech. A lot of people, however, do tend to tech roll after they get hit by 2P.

:1::H+K: – 1H+K can be used as a force tech after some juggles, but you can also chain 1H+K’s together. If 1H+K trips up your opponent and they don’t tech roll, you can do another 1H+K to get them back up.

:6::H+K: – 6H+K is mostly used as a force tech after his high punch hold and high kick hold. It can be used after a lot of combos as well. Jacky’s opponent can’t stay on the ground once they get hit by his 6H+K.
G. Unholdables

Jacky has access to a lot of unholdable setups. An unholdable is a strike which cannot be held upon tech rolling. This is because holds have 1 startup frame, and according to the rule you can strike them in that one frame. Your opponent cannot hold your strike in that particular frame, hence the term unholdable. These are the unholdables I have found for Jacky:

Unholdables from a juggle

1.H+KP+KPPP+KP ∙ ↙P+KPK (Featherweight)
2.H+KP+KPPPPKPK (Lightweight – Middleweight)
3.H+KP+KP PPPK ∙ SS P (Lightweight – Middleweight)
4.H+KP+KP ∙ →PKPK (Super Heavyweight)
5.H+KP+KP ∙ →PK ∙ SS P (Super Heavyweight)
6. Flash Sword Kick ∙ ↘P (whiff) ∙ ↓P+K (Lightweight)
7. Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖KH+K (Lightweight)
8. Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K ∙ ↓P+K (Middleweight)
9. Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ Flash Sword Kick (Super Heavyweight)

Unholdables from a throw

10. TKK
11. T ∙ ↙P+KP
12. T ∙ ↙P+KK
13.TKP
14.TKP
15. →→T ∙ ↙P+KP
16. →→T ∙ ↙P+KK
17. ←→TPK
18. →←T ∙ →PP
19. →←T ∙ ↑H+K
20. →←T ∙ ↖P+K
21. To crouching opponent ↓T ∙ ↙P+KP
22. To crouching opponent ↓T ∙ ↙P+KK
23. To opponent’s back T ∙ ←P
24. To opponent’s back T ∙ →K
25. To opponent’s back T ∙ ↓K
26. To opponent’s back T ∙ →H+K
27. To opponent’s back T ∙ ←→H+K
28. To crouching opponent’s back ↓T ∙ ↙P+KP
29. To crouching opponent’s back ↓T ∙ ↙P+KK

Unholdables from a hold

30.H (High Punch Hold) ∙ P (whiff) ∙ →P
31.H (High Punch Hold) ∙ (→)P (whiff) ∙ ↓P
32.H (High Punch Hold) ∙ (→)P (whiff) ∙ ↓H+K
33.H (High Punch Hold) ∙ ←PP
34. H (High Punch Hold) ∙ ↑PP
35.H (Low Punch Hold) ∙ ↗K

Unholdables from a wall juggle

36. KPPPK (W! x2) ∙ ↖P+K (Power Blow; Middleweight – Super Heavyweight)
37. Any wall splat ∙ →PPK ∙ ↖H+K (Power Launcher; Featherweight)
38. Any wall splat ∙ →PPK ∙ ↘KP (Lightweight)
39. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick (x2) ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ P (whiff) ∙ ←P+K (Featherweight)
40. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick (x2) ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ P (whiff) ∙ ↙H+K (Featherweight)
41. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick (x2) ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ P (whiff) ∙ ↙P (Featherweight)
42. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ PPP (Lightweight)
43. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ ↙P+KP (Middleweight – Super Heavyweight)
44. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↖K (W!) ∙ ↙P+KK (Middleweight – Super Heavyweight)
45. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↙P+KPP (W!) ∙ ↓P ∙ ↘KP (Lightweight)
46. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↙P+KPP (W!) ∙ ↙K ∙ ↓P+K (Middleweight)
47. Any wall splat ∙ Flash Sword Kick ∙ P+KP ∙ ↙P+KPP (W!) ∙ →H+K ∙ ←H+K (Middleweight)
H. Untechables

Thanks to @Darkslay, we now know that Jacky has access to a few untechable setups from his :4::4::K:. Unfortunately though, these setups only work in open stance. Darkslay has also listed the frame advantage for each setup:

Critical Stun Level 1 > :4::4::K: > BT :P+K: > :1::P: (+15)

Critical Stun Level 2 > :4::4::K: > BT :2::P: (+17)

:4::4::K: > BT :P+K: > :3::K: > :1::P: (+15)

:4::4::K: > BT :P+K: > :4::P::2::K: (+12)

:4::4::K: > BT :P+K: > :4::P::1::P: (+7, no knockdown)
I. Whiff Punishment

Whiff punishment is very important in DOA. Every character has access to at least a few viable whiff punishment tools. Jacky’s main whiff punishers are: 3H+K, 4H+K, 6H+K and 66K. All of them are really good because the range is ridiculous on these moves. 3H+K is an i15 tracking high kick so it catches sidesteppers. 4H+K is mainly used to whiff punish wake-up kicks. 6H+K can also be used to whiff punish wake-up kicks, but is also a very reliable force tech, as stated before. 66K is a good whiff punisher in general. 66K is particularly useful if your opponent is with their back to the wall and whiffs a move, because 66K wall splats. This will allow you to do a devastating wall combo.
J. Tips and Tricks

Last but not least, I shall provide some Tips and Tricks for Jacky. I hope these prove to be useful.

Tip 1: :3::P+K::5::H+P: Timing

Rage of Dragons (3P+K.T) is a good tool for Jacky, since it is a strike throw which deals about 60 damage to the opponent. They cannot escape the throw follow-up after they get hit by the initial punch. It is therefore crucial to know the timing of the throw part. You can try to practice it both on sound and vision. You should press T right after 3P+K hits Jacky’s opponent (= reacting visually), or you can react on sound by pressing T righter after hearing the sound effect from 3P+K. Paying attention to the words Command Throw on the screen is also an option, but that method seems to be less reliable.

Tip 2: Slide Shuffle :3::3::K::5::H+P: Timing

The Toe Kick Somersault Kick (Slide Shuffle 33K.T) basically has the exact same timing of the throw part as his Rage of Dragons. You have to input the throw button as soon as Jacky’s kick hits the opponent, or when you hear the sound effect of Jacky’s kick.

Tip 3: Natural Combos

Jacky has a few natural combos. PP and 3PP are natural combos on both Normal Hit and Counter Hit. PK and P4K are only natural combos on Counter Hit.

Tip 4: Guaranteed :2_::3::P: Launcher on BT Opponents

If Jacky catches his opponents’ back with 3K or 2P+K, he gets a guaranteed 2_3P launcher. After the launcher, you can follow up with these combos (tested on middleweight):

:6_::K::5::h: > :4::H+K: > :6_::K::5::h: > :4::H+K: > :1::P+K::P::P: (89 damage)

:6_::K::5::h: > :P: > :4::H+K: (x2) > :1::P+K::P::P: (85 damage)

:6_::K::5::h: > :4::H+K: (x2) > :1::P+K::P::K: (82 damage)

:4::H+K: (x2) > :K::P::P::P::K: (81 damage)

:P: (x2) > :4::H+K: (x2) > :1::P+K::P::P: (81 damage)

In this video, you can see @Nereus performing the maximum damage combo - the first combo I listed - after the guaranteed 2_3P launcher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwnvEQKfg5s

Tip 5: Common Jacky Mistakes

As a last tip, I would like to point out some common mistakes Jacky players often fall prey to. The first is overrelying on 6PP(P). 6PP is semi-safe on block at -6, whereas 6PPP is very unsafe at -16 on block. I often see Jacky players abusing 6PP. However, this will not work in high level play. The second strike is always a high strike, so professional players will most likely hold it on reaction. Moreover, since the follow-up is always a high strike, 6PP can be shut down with a high crush. I therefore recommend using 6PP sparingly. Regarding 6PPP, it is very unsafe and shouldn’t be thrown out on block at all. A second mistake is overrelying on Jacky’s Critical Burst. I admit, it is a vital move, but that doesn’t mean it should be abused. Again, high level players can hold or predict it on reaction. A lot of Jacky players also tend to use the new Slide Shuffle K Critical Burst after 2P+K. While this setup works wonders against inexperienced players, skilled players will slow escape this setup and punish accordingly.

Let’s now move on to Jacky’s tricks.

Trick 1: Bait holds with Ducking

Jacky’s Ducking (Slide Shuffle 33) can be used as a means to bait holds. Jacky has threatening follow-ups from his Ducking, so there is a good chance your opponent will hold when Jacky transitions into Ducking, especially in stun. Punish their whiffed hold with 64T for a juicy 99 Hi-Counter damage.

Trick 2: Conditioning with :P::K::h:

PKH is a great way to bait holds as well. Condition your opponent with PK and let them think you’ll always go for the high kick follow-up. Once you have conditioned them to high hold, do PKH to fake out your high kick and punish their hold with a throw. If they stop holding, you can still use PKH and then do a strike mix-up in stun. PKH is also safe on block (-5) if you cancel the kick at the quickest frame possible (= the third frame).

Trick 3: Constant Frame Traps

You can use the move sequence 2P+K4 > Slide Shuffle P to constantly apply pressure with Jacky’s Frame Traps. 2P+K4 is +6 on block, and Slide Shuffle P is +1 on block and is i13. If they continue guarding after 2P+K4, Slide Shuffle P technically becomes i7 so it will beat out every other strike. If they still keep on guarding though, the Slide Shuffle P will still give Jacky +1 on block. Their only effective means of escaping this setup is crouching after 2P+K or holding Jacky’s Slide Shuffle P. Since they can still hold, use this setup to condition your opponent to high hold by letting them think you’ll do the Slide Shuffle P.

Trick 4: :4::4::K: at the Wall

44K is an i16 high kick which puts the opponent in a stun which leaves them back-turned. Jacky is also back-turned after performing 44K. It is unsafe on block at -6, so it is best used during stun. At the wall, it is a godlike move since it guarantees all his back-turned moves from there! He can get a lot of guaranteed wall splats from 44K. For example, you can use BT K, BT 2PK (note that the high kick can be held) or BT P+K for a guaranteed wall splat, which you can follow up with: FSK > 1P+KPK. Another wall splat is BT 4K, which you can follow up with P+KP > P > 1P+KPP.

Trick 5: Alternate Inputs

An alternate input for P is H+P+K, whereas an alternate input for 2P is 1H+P+K or 3H+P+K. 4P1P can be inputted as 4P2P or 4P3P. Finally, 2_K can be inputted as 1K.
K. Special Thanks and Shoutouts

This marks the end of my guide. I would like to thank the following people for sharing their Jacky knowledge which helped illustrating the things I wrote in my guide:

@DestructionBomb for the Jacky Combo Video Exhibition, information about Jacky's BT :2::K: and for his tips and insights about the execution of the Flash Sword Kick.
@Lulu for information about Jacky's BT :2::K: and for his tips and insights about the execution of the Flash Sword Kick.
@Darkslay for the untechable setups and for his tips and insights about the execution of the Flash Sword Kick.
@Nereus for the video demonstrating the guaranteed :2_::3::P: launcher on BT opponents.
@samuraihachi for the Jacky Wall Splat Combo Video and Slide Shuffle :K: Setups.
@CrayCraySteady for the Jacky Stage Combos.
@KING for the Slide Shuffle Combo Video.
@866AiN999 for the Jacky Combo Video.
Also, shoutouts to all people who took the time to read this guide. :jacky:

Last edited:

ColonelColver

You get the Colver seal of approval for this one, dude. Great stuff! Might even consider upping my Jacky game. You dropped some crazy knowledge in this guide, yo! Gonna finish reading later, I got through A, B and C, slightly skimming through D-J. But I had to say good shit.

KING JAIMY

You get the Colver seal of approval for this one, dude. Great stuff! Might even consider upping my Jacky game. You dropped some crazy knowledge in this guide, yo! Gonna finish reading later, I got through A, B and C, slightly skimming through D-J. But I had to say good shit.
Thanks a lot Colver. Actually you were the one who inspired me to make a guide as well! I appreciate your kind words, and I hope this guide will prove useful in your Jacky training.

ColonelColver

Haha, no problem! I'm glad I could get more members of the community thinking about their characters enough to do this kind of stuff. However, I gotta say, this guide has an abundance more info than mine, and it really shows that you know this character.

KING JAIMY

Haha, no problem! I'm glad I could get more members of the community thinking about their characters enough to do this kind of stuff. However, I gotta say, this guide has an abundance more info than mine, and it really shows that you know this character.
Thanks. I hope this will encourage more people to learn Jacky, as I think he's a very underrated character.

Great job man. Definitely not gonna read it because it's Jacky but it looks very detailed. :helena:
Thanks, but erm... what's Helena doing here again? :p

Last edited:

Kronin

Awesome work Jaimy, this is like the definitive Jacky guide! :eek:

I really need to improve my actual characters and expand my knowledge over others, there are so much characters that I would like to use -as Jacky - and the guides for doing it are all in this site, now it's only a matter of will and time. I said this too much times, it's time to really put in practice it.

Darkslay

Fantastic guide, bro. Was listening to this while reading the entire thing (yes i just read the entire thing lol). I can't really think of anything this guide could be missing, its all here for aspiring players who wish to learn this amazingly underrated character. Its so awesome to see people who put this much time and effort into their characters. :)

Congratulations, man and thank you again for this wonderful guide for The Blue Flash. Cheers. :)

Oh, and last but not least. YEEEAAAAAAHHHH. :jacky:

KING JAIMY

Awesome work Jaimy, this is like the definitive Jacky guide! :eek:

I really need to improve my actual characters and expand my knowledge over others, there are so much characters that I would like to use -as Jacky - and the guides for doing it are all in this site, now it's only a matter of will and time. I said this too much times, it's time to really put in practice it.
Thanks for your compliments Kronin, I appreciate it! I wish you good luck learning the characters you are interested in. :)

Fantastic guide, bro. Was listening to this while reading the entire thing (yes i just read the entire thing lol). I can't really think of anything this guide could be missing, its all here for aspiring players who wish to learn this amazingly underrated character. Its so awesome to see people who put this much time and effort into their characters. :)
Congratulations, man and thank you again for this wonderful guide for The Blue Flash. Cheers. :)
Oh, and last but not least. YEEEAAAAAAHHHH. :jacky:
I appreciate it a lot what you've said Darkslay. It really means a lot to me. I bet your Jann Lee guide is going to be awesome too and full of amazing tech. Looking forward to it! :) YEEEAAHHHH!!

Last edited:

Darkslay

Thanks for your compliments Kronin, I appreciate it! I wish you good luck learning the characters you are interested in. :)

I appreciate it a lot what you've said Darkslay. It really means a lot to me. I bet your Jann Lee guide is going to be awesome too and full of amazing tech. Looking forward to it! :) YEEEAAHHHH!!

Thanks, man, i appreciate it a lot, its reaching its final stages. :)

Hopefully more people get encouraged to work on guides for their characters.

KING JAIMY

Quite refreshing to see posts like these. Should tell the moderators to front page this.
I'm actually not the type of person to ask moderators for a front page but it would definitely give Jacky some more attention. I also hope this post doesn't get overlooked by those willing to learn Jacky.

Kronin

LoL.... I dissappear for a few hours and this thing shows up out of the Blue !!!

Speaking of.... The "Blue Flash" ?

I believe that Lulu's question was serious Jaimy, even if actually is a perfect pun xD

Blue Flash is the nickname of Jacky according to the Virtua Fighter plot, this come from the fact that he is an indy car racer and the color of his car is supposed to be blue =) I suppose that he is so fast that appears like a blue flash to the eyes of the spectators... (this reminds to me just the "Yellow Flash" from Naruto xD).

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD