The Dragon Quest Discussion Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Oh wow! :eek: Thanks I was not expecting crazy stuff like that but that's really crazy, I'd have never imagined either that he was so old, I'm surprised Square Enix don't just have the right to use an orchestral version no matter what he says? I really don't know much about him at all but he sounds like an asshole honestly.

Sugiyama is not a regular employee of Square Enix but an independent composer, a very well known and popular one at that, so SE has to work with what he gives them. He also was the sole composer of the entire series until now, so they can't just hire a new, less problematic composer. Fans would not appreciate that... Dragon Quest is holy to many Japanese fans. It is the by far biggest RPG series there, even more popular than Final Fantasy. The sales of Dragon Quest XI were crazy in Japan, over 2 million in the first two days. Imagine the rush on stores. x__X They make sure to never release a DQ on a school/work day in Japan, lol.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Well never mind Jade if you're going to ignore me I suppose for some reason xD

For anyone getting the game this is the latest trailers for it I saw:

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

Wasn't this coming on Switch too? The colorful and varied cast, while stereotypical, does make me interested in the game after all the recent JRPGs with their ONLY HOT PEOPLE AND MASCOTS ALLOWED policy...

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Wasn't this coming on Switch too? The colorful and varied cast, while stereotypical, does make me interested in the game after all the recent JRPGs with their ONLY HOT PEOPLE AND MASCOTS ALLOWED policy...
Its supposed to but idk if they even decided a release date yet on it xD but judging from various news sources I read it doesn't seem as far off as a few months ago tho

Tyaren

Standard Donor

It seems a while away to be honest...maybe the first real news about it will come on TGS? There have been little signs and rumors.
They seem to have stumbled into serious development issues early on in regards to the Switch version. When the game was first revealed they already announced the game would be on PS4, 3DS, PC and "Nintendo NX", as it was called then, because no one knew what the console would actually turn out to be. Not even Square Enix knew. They promised to show footage as soon as possible after the console was unveiled and then released, but that didn't happen until now. Only recently they were able to tell fans: "Development is progressing smoothely".
We don't really know, but the biggest reason this takes so long could be because they can't simply port the PS4/PC version down to Switch. The graphical and performance hit would be too big. There are graphically impressive games like Doom or Wolfenstein ported to Switch, but only at heavy costs. They had to slash the framerate in half to 30fps, drop the resolution as far as 300 something p (which is worse than PS2 quality) and on top of that still downgrade the visuals further. The problem is, they can't do that this easily with a game like Dragon Quest XI as it already runs at just 30fps on PS4. They can't just half it to 15fps to gain more power. And even the base PS4 doesn't manage to handle the game at full 1080p resolution but 900p instead. One can imagine that when already the PS4 struggles, the Switch might not be able to handle it at all. I think they had to rebuild the game in parts or entirely from the ground. If they brute-force a downport, the game will look and perform awful, if they however build and optimize it from the gound for Switch, then it can still look really good and perform well. But that will take some time...

Anyway, reviews are out and the game got great reviews here in the West as well! :)

I especially enjoyed the Kotaku review. It is a bit unconventional, lol, but it is very detailed and passionate about the game and the entire series:

If you can't bear to watch over 30 minutes of this I suggest you wait for the Easy Allies video review. They are usually concice, in-depth and I already know Ben, who does the review, is very informed and passionate about the Dragon Quest series.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
IMG_20180829_161949.jpg

I secured the bag and ordered the game! I'll be able to play it day one so I'm really excited! ^.^

Jadeinchains

It looks really great, I'm actually thinking of getting this game now to be honest I'm just not totally sure when yet. It would be my first Dragon Quest game but the series looks awesome not to mention I've been wanting to get into more jrpg series and DQ seems like a great one to get into. :)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It looks really great, I'm actually thinking of getting this game now to be honest I'm just not totally sure when yet. It would be my first Dragon Quest game but the series looks awesome not to mention I've been wanting to get into more jrpg series and DQ seems like a great one to get into. :)
Who's you're favorite character so far?(And I'm sorry about that thinking you didn't want to speak to me thing, I was kinda having a bad day and I have a habit of over thinking small things when I'm in a sad mood >.>) I like the protagonist and all the girls and I like the flamboyant gay guy who's the dancer of the group xD

Jadeinchains

Who's you're favorite character so far?(And I'm sorry about that thinking you didn't want to speak to me thing, I was kinda having a bad day and I have a habit of over thinking small things when I'm in a sad mood >.>) I like the protagonist and all the girls and I like the flamboyant gay guy who's the dancer of the group xD

Umm I'm not entirely sure yet, I've seen two spoiler free reviews for the game but besides that I'm trying to mostly avoid anything about the game to go in mostly blind, However I do know obviously the party members and they look cool, I'm liking sylvando too. ( And Jade but that's mostly cause I'm biased ) ( and that's okay by the way )

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Umm I'm not entirely sure yet, I've seen two spoiler free reviews for the game but besides that I'm trying to mostly avoid anything about the game to go in mostly blind, However I do know obviously the party members and they look cool, I'm liking sylvando too. ( And Jade but that's mostly cause I'm biased ) ( and that's okay by the way )
That's how I am with Lili and Kasumi so I understand xD I'm kinda nervous on what to expect because I did read one review that kind of downplayed the game but I dont think I'll take that one seriously since it called DQ a linear game but DQ has been a pretty old fashioned JRPG for years so of course it'd use the same formula xD I also saw a video that showed all the outfits for everyone but I'll not spoil them in case you want to see them for yourself in game xD

Jadeinchains

That's how I am with Lili and Kasumi so I understand xD I'm kinda nervous on what to expect because I did read one review that kind of downplayed the game but I dont think I'll take that one seriously since it called DQ a linear game but DQ has been a pretty old fashioned JRPG for years so of course it'd use the same formula xD I also saw a video that showed all the outfits for everyone but I'll not spoil them in case you want to see them for yourself in game xD

Yeah I wouldn't take that one seriously, I don't know a massively amount about the series but what little I do know Is that DQ is very beloved because of certain formula's it follows and that 11 is also actually pretty open with new features in the world like jumping to traverse across roof tops and what not. And thanks yeah I'd rather see stuff like that for myself as I play through the game. :)

DedUp

I've just started getting into the Dragon Quest series starting last year, playing the first 5 games on an NES/SNES emulator. I find it interesting that, even though all the games have a similar formula, they did experiment with different things.

Dragon Quest 1 - Play a single character throughout the game.

Dragon Quest 2 - You start off with a character and are joined by two others to fill out your party.

Dragon Quest 3 - Full custom, class based, party creation similar to the first Final Fantasy.

Dragon Quest 4 - Returns to the familiar start with 1 character and join up with others. The difference being that all the joinable characters get a playable prologue chapter before the main story starts.
This game also introduces a wagon that allows you to freely swap characters in and out of battle as long as the wagon is available.

Dragon Quest 5 - For most of the game you play with 1 or 2 regular party members and then you fill out your ranks with monsters you defeat who want to join you. Makes me think of Pokemon.
Also has a story that jumps many years at certain points which is interesting as you start playing the main character as a child, then as an adult..

I can't say if the other games did interesting things like this since I haven't played them yet. I stopped after 5 since I figured I would take a little break from the series before the release of 11.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I've only played Dragon Quest 4, that's my favorite one in the series since it has Maya and Alena and the main hero xD I also am playing Sentinels of the Starry Skies but that game is somewhat difficult tbh >.>

DedUp

My DQ4 favourites are Alena, who's an absolute beast with her crits and the Stiletto Earrings equipped, and Taloon for randomly tripping and critically hitting the enemy as well as his random summons of the merchant army to beat the hell out of your enemies. Though Taloon can be a bit irritating when he decides he just wants to sit around and pick his nose in the middle of a fight.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
My DQ4 favourites are Alena, who's an absolute beast with her crits and the Stiletto Earrings equipped, and Taloon for randomly tripping and critically hitting the enemy as well as his random summons of the merchant army to beat the hell out of your enemies. Though Taloon can be a bit irritating when he decides he just wants to sit around and pick his nose in the middle of a fight.
Yeah Taloon I like but he's incompetent at times,,especially during the final non canon Psaro boss fight, he's alot more tolerable in DQ heroes tho since he's alot of fun to play in that game xD Maya I loved because she was a beast with her flames, she was a glass cannon but her damage output was crazy 0.0 Favorite overall DQ girl is definitely Jessica tho, I love how balanced her design is(except for the baby hairs -_-) and I like her whip and her various magical abilities <3

DedUp

I assume Jessica is in IX which you're playing now? I'm not there yet and probably won't play it for a while. I usually like to play series in order, though I'm making an exception for XI.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I assume Jessica is in IX which you're playing now? I'm not there yet and probably won't play it for a while. I usually like to play series in order, though I'm making an exception for XI.
She's in that game but I haven't played that one tbh xD I play her in DQ Heroes II where it's basically a Samurai Warriors but reskinned as DQ, although I haven't played it in months since its not really as immersive as this new DQ would be. But in the game Jessica is definitely one of the best characters, she can heal, sling an ice projectile and she's a great crowd control character too and easy to use too xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD