The Fight Stick Thread

d3v

I've been wanting a stick for a while now, and have been looking at the Qanba Q4 RAF for about a year. I was waiting for it to drop a little bit in price, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.

My number 1 concern is compatibility with the PS4, since I'm thinking about upgrading soon. Does anyone use this stick for that?
Q4 does not work on PS4.

Reactions: CFW

CFW

Thank you. So I would probably have to invest in two sticks, right? Or maybe there's a stick that's compatible with all consoles?

quash

Well, you can get a Hori Fighting Commander 4 and solder your stick + buttons to it. It provides seamless compatibility with PS3 and PS4; no switches, no holding down Start and Select, just plug and play. That would require moderate soldering skills, though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Thank you. So I would probably have to invest in two sticks, right? Or maybe there's a stick that's compatible with all consoles?
The MadCatz TE2 line is compatible with PS4 and PS3. The stick I posted a picture of is the GG Xrd edition and it works great. They are more expensive than the other ones and much harder to get. That should change in a few months, though.

CFW

Well, you can get a Hori Fighting Commander 4 and solder your stick + buttons to it. It provides seamless compatibility with PS3 and PS4; no switches, no holding down Start and Select, just plug and play. That would require moderate soldering skills, though.

Is that like a pad? I can solder (my dad used to let me play w his soldering kit for funsies), but I honestly wouldn't even know what to do. It looks like it would be interesting to use, maybe a lot easier to use as opposed to using a stick. What's your experience with Play-Asia? I may get this instead, because that price is beautiful and I am cheap.
http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4-paOS-13-49-en-70-7sn9.html

Yikes @ the shipping, I hope I see this on Amazon.

The MadCatz TE2 line is compatible with PS4 and PS3. The stick I posted a picture of is the GG Xrd edition and it works great. They are more expensive than the other ones and much harder to get. That should change in a few months, though.

This actually looks really cool and I will definitely keep an eye out for this!! This might be a better investment than the qanba, lemme wait for a price drop tho. Thank you!

Last edited:

quash

To use the PCB for an arcade stick, all you'd have to do is find the correct leads (one for each button and one for each direction) and solder the wires from each corresponding button/the joystick harness. This is apparently on the level of the original PS1 controller (non-Dualshock) in terms of ease of hacking.

The pad itself is okay, though it's nothing that won't prevent me from putting its PCB in a stick instead.

CFW

Ooooooooooooh, I see what you mean now. Take the PCB out of the controller and put it in the stick. That seems a little more difficult than it sounds, though. Don't know anything about modding sticks, I'm sure a lot of youtube tutorials would help me if I were to try tho.

Do you know if the Commander 4 will be sold anywhere else online or will it only be on play-asia? I'm seeing the Commander 3 on Amazon, but I'm gonna assume that's not PS4 compatible.

d3v

Bad news, the DOA5LR stick isn't coming to the states. According to this response from Hori.
In regards, unfortunately we do not have plans of releasing this product here in the US. However, we will be releasing a newly designed model of the PS4/PS3 Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa in February which also features a touch pad.

PacManila

Just thought this may be helpful for anyone looking to make their fightsticks compatible for the next-gen systems. These guys offer modding services:

http://www.gummowned.com/
http://www.vickomods.com/

The former can add compatibility for Xbox1 and PS4 to existing sticks, while the latter can add Xbox1 compatibility. Since the most recent sticks only provide PS3/PS4 or 360/XB1, this is good for anyone looking to dual/tri/quad mod their sticks to work on both next-gen systems (especially helpful when going to tourneys or casuals where they don't use your preferred system). These two modders are well-known in the FGC, so they're legit.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
I ordered the doa5lr arcade stick but probably going to end up changing the art.

Also i have pdp stick and its really not that good(the injustice one)

I am hoping the hori one will be better XD

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
All sticks can be modded. Just a matter of how expensive and how much room the modder has to work with.

quash

^ Pretty much. If that PCB is common ground then a PS3 padhack may be possible, otherwise you should probably get a multi-console PCB somewhere down the line.

If you're talking buttons/sticks, then that's stuff you can usually replace on your own even with little to no experience.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I ran into a guy who said that he would be willing to mod sticks to be able to play them on all 4 consoles for like $260. So I was going to get this & go from there. I was mainly going to get it for SF anyway (SFIV & SFV)

quash

I understand a man has to eat, but that is a little steep, especially considering he is probably using a MCC or PS360 for previous gen compatibility.

Now if you were to get other things about the stick modded (some extra weight, or a reinforced panel, for example), then I could see shelling out that much and possibly even more. Just a multi-console PCB hack though? I'd try to talk him down to $200 if possible.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Honestly though, I only want it modded for Xbox One & PS4 as crazy as it sounds. There's only 2 games that I'm going to use it to, but I'm considering Killer Instinct & a few others that are there that I could use for stick.

d3v

I understand a man has to eat, but that is a little steep, especially considering he is probably using a MCC or PS360 for previous gen compatibility.

Now if you were to get other things about the stick modded (some extra weight, or a reinforced panel, for example), then I could see shelling out that much and possibly even more. Just a multi-console PCB hack though? I'd try to talk him down to $200 if possible.
Nope, that's actually a fair price for a quad-mod (considering that a simply dual-mod can go as high as $200).

Plugging a PS4 PCB and XBox One PCB alongside a PS360+ or MCC isn't as simple as it sounds.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD