The Genra Thread

SilverForte

The official(not really) Genra thread. Feel free to talk about anything related to genra here, be it his moveset, strategy, or whatever.

dead-or-alive-dimensions-genku-artwork.jpg

"YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A MOTE OF DUST IN THE ANGRY WINDS"

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor

SilverForte

Random Genra tips

Okay so 9k is his fastest mid launcher, but it gives a very small launch height except on max threshold, most of the time all you can get is a 6kp.

Tyrant p+k gives this really strange stumble stun, massive advantage if you couldn't hold out of it, but alas.

On ice 1p gives you enough advantage for 6p afterwards, still sucks to be on ice with genra though.

If you hit em with 1 lightning bolt against a wall and they crumple, use the wind to tech them up.

synce

Never saw that combo vid, thanks for making it. How does Genra stack up vs Tengu or Alpha? I'd love to see some boss vs boss action, it's a shame that's not possible in DOA5

SilverForte

Genra has the advantage against tengu, tengu is just a really subpar character. Alpha is a pretty bad matchup for him, he can't zone her with lightning because of her holds and her OH's can easily catch his large hitbox.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I don't think Tengu has a single good MU in this game. Just 3-7 and 4-6 across the board, and he likely goes 5-5 with some of the other shitty characters. He probably even has some 2-8 MUs. I never really spent much time with this game though, so I couldn't give any true MU scores for him.

I don't have much experience in the Genra vs Tengu MU, but I'd assume the worst it could be for Genra is 5-5.

SilverForte

It's pretty bad for tengu imo, his combos do pitiful damage to genra because of his weight class, plus he can zone with lightning. I haven't really fought any Tengus besides Forlorn though. It also doesn't help that Tengu is one of the few characters that can't disrespect genras frame advantage.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
It's pretty bad for tengu imo, his combos do pitiful damage to genra because of his weight class, plus he can zone with lightning.

Yeah, Tengu can't really do anything about the zoning. As for the weight issues, if I recall correctly, neither of Tengu's few juggle options even work on Genra's fat ass. This would be slightly more bearable if he still had the divebomb, like when fighting SPARTAN or Tengu in DOA4, but they took it away for some stupid reason.

Lol. Amazing contribution!

Yo did you get doad yet?

Does he even have a 3DS?

SilverForte

Hurry up son.

Anyways, Genra is legit probably the best thing about this game, in a doa4 system with random holds abound, he's like the only character with an actual guaranteed option, and it hurts, badly. It's still a pain to fight against fast characters with him though, and being on water or ice, forget it.

Oh, something that I didn't show in that vid that's pretty important: Genras korean back dash is very fast for a super heavy weight, something I like to do is hit 66p at max range, then quickly back off, trying to get them to whiff somethin, then punish, it's also very helpful in the lightning zoning game.

synce

Does Genra have a decent OH? When I used Tengu in 4 his OH helped a lot against fast characters

And speaking of online I may get a 3DS after E3, so look out for another Genra... assuming I can even go online with Gateway.

SilverForte

Does Genra have a decent OH? When I used Tengu in 4 his OH helped a lot against fast characters

And speaking of online I may get a 3DS after E3, so look out for another Genra... assuming I can even go online with Gateway.

Yes he has a standard standing and low OH like all the chars in doad, and yes it does help.

That would be cool, be nice to see more genra.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD