The International Interviews: #23 ARTPOPNINJEALIC

ikodomo

hqdefault.jpg

Back in the DOA 2 Ultimate and DOA4 era, there was a prominent name that stirred up the DOA community with his marvelous Ein play. His name was Offbeat Ninja. Now going by as ARTPOPNINJEALIC, I was able to track and interview him. Looking to comeback soon to the offline scene after a long hiatus, here is ARTPOPNINJEALIC.

Name? Gaming alias?

Ryan Ward, ARTPOPNINJEALIC

Country of Origin?

Canada

Your name used to be Offbeat Ninja. However you changed your name to ARTPOPNINJEALIC. Why?

I go by this name because in my life I have had some spiritual moments and have gone on a spiritual path and it is like a reborn evolved name from offbeat ninja with a holy spin to it incorporating ninja and angel but not quite either one. And ARTPOP is such a intense word relating to like anything almost in a very vibrant way.. kind of like Ein/Hayate as well

Who is your main character in DOA5LR?

I main Hayate

Since you used to be an Ein player, what would be his pros and cons?

Ein is a very solid character when it comes to pokes, holds, grabs, up close and spacing with really good ss moves and one of the best lows in the game with down kick.. The only con I can say for him was grab speeds slowing down it makes it tough to break your opponents defense at times but with moves like p+k-->p and pp-->p and back p+k it can break that down..another thing is he can get up close really well with 1k6p or 66 p-->k I dunno one thing I have learned recently is that it is important to incorporate all moves in certain situations

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

I have been playing DOA for 11 years I started out with DoaUltimate when it first came out

You been away from the offline competitive scene for quite a while. Why is that?

I have been away for so long due to legal issues. Its been tough being in exile lol.. But I'm looking to have things cleared up one day and would definitely be down to compete again. I feel like my true skill will be put to the test that day and I am looking forward to it.

Will you plan on coming back anytime soon? Any tournaments you are considering to show up?

I plan to when I can I don't have any tournaments in mind necessarily but I would try to see where the scene is looking to go competitively for a major.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Calculated, aggressive, fun

Are there any weaknesses in your game that you would like to improve on?

None that I can see in all honesty. I feel like if I could play offline again people would really see my skill in terms of defense that seems to be my only weakness

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

DOA4 is definitely my favourite in terms of story music environments graphics and vibrance the online the speed of the matches.. Everything it was such a good game. Liked 5 vanilla but it was missing so many characters not many stages but the circus stage showed up 3 times in random, the story was so not Team Ninjas old style. It just needs more flair and ninjaness lol..it reminds me of ninja gaiden 3 in a way in both games they really got the combat down though it is top notch almost flawless. in doa5 even last round the one problem I have with the game is what they did to holds.. Making them less active frames and more recovery i feel it takes away from true skill in the matches a bit because it's so easy to get people caught up in stuns.. Before it was more about single strikes and opportunities.. But like doa5 as a whole is a really good game I like it a lot.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I don't really watch too many matches these days but I would definitely like to verse some of my old rivals and friends and definitely want to test my skills on the new generation. I try to catch matches on Xbox live though like the 30 second clips those are cool.

Are there any Ein players that have caught your attention?

There's a lot actually shout out to all the Ein players out there y'all have always showed a lot of respect and it's cool to see other people fighting with Ein's playstyle. I still do use Ein in this game as well and it would be awesome to fight Ein veterans those matches are always intense.

Canada currently has an active competitive scene. What do you think of the community? Have you met any of them?

I remember back in the Doa4 days traveling to Toronto for the world cyber games and Montreal as well.. The players there were really nice and there are some really solid players here as well. I feel it's tough out here though because we don't really have any majors that's something that I'd like to see one day hopefully.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

I don't actually I feel like every character is really good
If you were to pick one moment that defines you in the DOA series, what would that be and why?
I feel like my most defining moment was my first to 10 with Master in DOAU online actually it was just super intense the matches were crazy and I feel that matchup is one of my favorites especially in 2U. That was my first big win and I was proud of myself for achieving the skill I had because I loved the game so much and wanted to be the best I could be.

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

I play COD mainly for fun but the competition is where it's at as well. I'll be giving Tekken 7 a try and would be down to go in at Soul Calibur 6.

When do you think DOA 6 will come out if ever?

I think doa6 will come out next year hopefully it would be nice to see a true next gen Doa soon and a change up

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I would make that character a Canadian OG with like gangsta attacks wearing sick chains street clothes.. Straight ballin cool hats maybe a cup of lean lol

DOAX3 is coming out soon. What do you think of the game? Are you going to get it?

Hmm I think its an interesting concept

Twitter? Facebook? Instagram?

The best places to follow me are on Instagram as artpopninjealic or Facebook.com/artpopninjealic
Or on little monsters.com as @offbeat.ninja or ARTPOPNinjealic you gotta check it out lol
That would be cool if anyone is interested don't hesitate to follow or add me as a friend more friends and followers is always cool and I actually challenge someone to listen to all the songs I have posted on my Instagram

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Last message would be a shoutout to the DOA community and anyone reading this that finds it cool or interesting and would be down to follow me or get some matches in that's wassup. Shout out to Team Ninja for making awesome games, shout out to Tomonobu Itagaki for all of the work he has done.. Shout out the rap game, shout out any real ones that wanna ride, shout out my beautiful baby son. Shout out anyone that's ever shown me love and respect salute to God

*Author's Note - I will be aiming to do at least one interview per month. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Hazard

Standard Donor

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I would make that character a Canadian OG with like gangsta attacks wearing sick chains street clothes.. Straight ballin cool hats maybe a cup of lean lol

I'm so done.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD