The International Interviews: #4 Gehaktbal

ikodomo

“If you lose, you have to know why you lost. And you have to think about a way of how you could have won that match.”
- Gehaktbal

29fcdg0.jpg

UprisingJC vs Gehaktbal - DOA Festival

Coming off a very impressive showing at DOA Festival, the Dutch player Gehaktbal is looking forward to showcase his skills as the European champion in this year’s Northeast Championships (NEC) to show that the 2014 TFC performance wasn’t just a fluke. He’s been practically unstoppable from the get-go with his consistent 1st place finishes in the European scene with only one exception. I needed to know more about him as a player. For example, how long has he been playing competitively? What’s his playstyle? How does he prepare for these tournaments despite having a small player base to train with? After having tracked down Gehaktbal, I was able to uncover these mysteries.

If you could spend time with a DOA character in real life, who would you want to hang out and why? GOOOO!!!!

Hang out with: I’m sure I would have a good time hanging out with Zack. He is crazy, funny, not to serious.

Name? Gaming alias?

Jim “Gehaktbal” Timmerman

Country of Origin?

The Netherlands

How did you come up with the name Gehaktbal?

Gehaktbal means “Meatball” in Dutch (my 1st language). When I got a lil older I decided to change my name to a less-serious and Dutch name. Why less serious? Because the main reason why I play videogames is to have fun. Forget about the serious stuff in real life and just have a good time.

Since my former alias begun with an “G” and since I like meatballs a lot! I decided to go with “Gehaktbal”. Also funny to hear foreigners saying my name.

About that name... So, how do you pronounce 'Gehaktbal' anyways? I notice a lot of people say your name differently, and I want to get to the bottom of this!

Its really hard to explain in text. I give at a go:

"Ge" is something really Dutch, this pronouncement is not common in a lot of languages. It’s like scraping your throat.

"hakt" is pronounced just like: "i just bought a new game" replace the b with an h and add the k right before the t.

"bal" is kinda the same as ball.

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?

Zack, Rachel and working on Gen Fu.

Do you think Zack and Rachel are particularly strong tournaments characters? Why do you play them versus the rest of the cast?

Yes i do think Zack and Rachel are strong tournament characters. Many players have an Rachel-sub because she is just all about the reads. Her moves are super easy, so you can focus 100% on reading your opponent. A few good reads and you got the match with Rachel.

Then Zack, is a character you don't see often in tournaments. I'm not sure why, because his speed, string mix-ups and pressure game is insane! Sure he does not have many guaranteed stuff or good sit-down stuns, but he does have what it takes to win a major, if you ask me.

Why do i choose to play with these characters? It's all about being comfortable with you character in an tournament.

Nerves will kill you, so you better pick a character you are 100% comfortable with. DoA is a game where all characters can win. Of course there are character with more tools than others. But in DoA, all characters can win. It’s about your own mind game.

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

Hmm this is good question. It makes me realize I actually played “competitively” very soon after I first touched DoA. Because DoA4 is my first DoA. It launched in 2006, and in 2006 there already was WorldCyberGames. I really was bad, and still new to the game back then. I ended up top 8 of The Netherlands. So to answer this question: I’ve been playing casually + competitively for 9 years now.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

1. Random

2. Cheap

3. Lucky

Lol, nah I don’t know. I got a lot of comments saying I am an “Turtler”. Although I think my play style changed a little since I went to TFC 2014 (USA).

Some players say I play a lot with reacting on whatever happens on the screen.

So I don’t really have got 3 words to describe my playstyle. I try to change my playstyle every time it’s needed. For example: my playstyle is defensive, turtling and waiting. If I lose, I try to change my playstyle to offensive, short-range and going in…

It sound like you’re a really dynamic player. Do you think that’s probably how the ideal best DOA player should be? Or is this just the particular ‘style’ you developed into?

If you ask me, i think the ideal best DOA player should be dynamic. Adapt to your opponent and play with the most effective play style in that match.

How do you think a new player should approach DOA as a beginner? Like what do you think they should focus on or learn first?

Beginners always have to invest time and focus on learning the move-sets. In other words, they have to know what happens if you press a button, or an combination of buttons. When they know what their character is going to do when they press any button, they can continue to really learn the game/system.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you spar or train with for an upcoming tournament?

I try to prepare for the event on the event itself. To spar with good players before the tournament starts. Getting that “offline” feeling.

At home I rarely play offline.

Some people say playing online is a hindrance to learning the game. How far do you think a player can take Online in improving?

Online is a great way to learn movesets (for beginners) and learning set-ups, shown by other players. You can see what other players use for launchers and max-damage juggles. It's a great way to get into the game.

But if you know all the basics, then online wouldn't teach you anything more.

Offline is where the magic happens. React on moves, punish -8 moves, spacing, hold follow-ups, slow-escape, fuzzy guard. This will all work offline every time.

What are the tournaments you have attended and how did you place?

Do you really want to know? It’s a lot! I have listed all my 26 offline-tournaments and 10 online-tournaments here:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...active-and-non-active.2829/page-3#post-107940

Wow that’s the DOA resume! I had no idea you attended so many offline events! Are there any upcoming Tournaments you will be participating in the near future besides NEC?

Yes! I will go to “GameChanger” @ London. It’s the 17th of October. This will be my last offline experience before NEC.

Info: http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ournaments-offline-tournament-in-london.5925/

Any prediction on how well you will do on that tournament?

Not to sound cocky, but I think I will win this tournament. Why? I did not lose any European tournament (with all European players) since DoA5-Vanilla came out (2012).

Speaking about the European players, most people are not very familiar with the European scene. I've known about Skatan Mila in DOA4 and a few other European players I've heard about in DOA5 were you (Gehaktbal), Hurricane Rev, AlexMaGanda, Murasaki-dono, and XI_C412L_IX. Can you tell us more about the DOA scene in Europe? Is it healthy and have you seen it growing these couple of years?

Hmm. To start off with Skatan Milla (Sweden). He retired from DoA before DoA5 came out. Just like other top-doa4-players in Europe: THE TACTICAL (Germany), Messy (UK). They all retired before DoA5 came out. A shame because I think they would have loved DoA5 because of the more-skill-based system.

To go on with the names you listed:

Hurricane Rev (I think nr2 of UK)

AlexMaGanda (Online warrior (no offense) from Germany) Never went to an Tournament.

Murasaki-dono, aka “Snow” (nr2 of France)

XI_C412L_IX, aka Carl (nr1 of UK)

We also have Ky-Dragon (nr1 of France) and JayceeChris (top3 of France).

As for the European scene, you can almost call it the French-scene with a few players from other countries. France has the biggest community and own forums. This is why European tournaments in France are the biggest tournaments in Europe. I do see new players coming out to tournaments, but next to that I also see players dropping DoA. So most of the time we have around the same amount of players showing up at tournaments.

Gehaktbal vs Murasaki-dono at Stun Academy 3

Gehaktbal vs Ky-Dragon at Stun Academy 3

Match Video

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

I think I can only judge DoA4, DoAD and DoA5 (all versions).

I have to say that I hate DoAD the most. The whole system was just wrong. That game was a real Rock-Paper-Scissor game.

I like DoA5 (all versions) the most. They brought the luck-factor down. Now the player who is more skilled will more likely win then in any other DoA-game.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added, or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances, more characters or stages?

More characters are always welcome.

More stages? Why not? It’s not something I am really waiting for though.

And about balance-changes, I don’t know.. Of course I could ask for buffing my main character(s), but what’s the use of that? I am enjoying balance patches, just because the game has something new again. I think the game is well balanced.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I enjoy watching: Sweet Revenge, Lopedo, Master, XcaliburBladez, Kwiggle, E-mann.

And I actually have played against them offline except for XcaliburBladez… yet.

Since you live in the Netherlands, is it possible for you to have local offline casuals with anyone or do you actually have to travel to another country to play against other players?

I did organize a couple of offline-session at my home. Highest number of players was 5 …XD

I also went to France for some offline-sessions. Just because I was hungry for offline play.

You have been lighting up the DOA scene with your spectacular play and amazing tournament results, especially with your recent result of placing 3rd at the DOA Festival in Japan. You even managed to become one of the select few of the NEC qualifiers by besting UprisingJC for that ticket! How did you get to that skill level despite the lack of strong players in the Europe?

Thanks to forums as doacentral and freestepdodge.com I learnt a lot about the game and about the characters I like to play with. I really studied as if it was something I wanted to graduate for. I took my homework to offline tournaments in Europe and it payed off. I’m always watching the livestreams of big Tournaments around the world. I’m not just watching as if I’m watching TV. I really try to explain to myself everything I see the top players do.

You've played the US, Japanese, and Taiwanese players. How does Europe stack against them in terms of player skill and the sizes of the community? Can you tell us the differences between each regions play style? Do you see any pros and/or cons with each respective regions?

What I think:

USA got the best TOP-players

Japan got the best players overall

Europe…. Needs to work (But they/we are working on it)

I did play against Taiwanese players and casuals versus the Korean player “Test.” They also showed solid skills.

I think the Japanese players are the best players in executing stuff. Like: always slow-escape fastest. Always fuzzy guard. Solid Korean-Back-Dash. Always punish.

But The top USA players are the best players when it comes to mind-game. And “mind-game” is what it takes to win ;)

Who’s a really underrated online or offline player that you feel doesn’t get enough credit or is unknown?

Hmm, I guess top Asian players overall. They don't get credit from the most European+North American players, and i bet the majority doesn't even know them.

I did met some good players online, who never show up at tournaments. I'm not saying that they are good offline, because i simply don't know.

In Europe, that would be "Regick" from Italy. Online he is really good, and i think he would rock offline as well. But again, i cannot know for sure until he proves it offline.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

1. Christie

2. Gen Fu

3. Akira

4. Helena

5. Ayane

6. Sarah

7. Leifang

8. Rachel

9. Pai

10. Hayabusa

11. Zack

12. Rig

13. Jann Lee

14. Hitomi

15. Mila

16. Bass

17. Alpha

18. Kasumi

19. Hayate

20. Bayman

21. Tina

22. Marie Rose

23. Kokoro

24. Leon

25. Brad Wong

26. Lisa

27. Ein

28. Momiji

29. Nyo Tengu

30. Eliot

31. Honoka

32. Jacky

33. Phase4

34. Raidou

Bass higher than Kasumi!? I think Matt Ponton would like to have a few words with you...

Yes, in my opinion: Bass is higher-tier as Kasumi.

I can explain why this is my opinion. I can explain my whole tier-list. But i think this interview already is like reading a big-fat-book.

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

My most epic moments where:

• Republic Of Fighters 3: Grand Finals: Gehaktbal vs Sweet Revenge

This was the first time I got to play against an player outside of Europe, and to make it even better: This guy (Sweet Revenge) was winning every tournament in USA and decided to fly over to Europe for this European Major.

I did a reset in Grand Final and it came down to the last match. This was my most epic experience ever.

Republic of Fighters 3: Grand Finals: Gehaktbal vs Sweet Revenge

• My matches at TFC 2014 would be my most epic adventure. So many good players. So hard to even come out of pools! And yet I succeeded and defeated players who I really admire. Ended up 4th losing to the Champion Kwiggle.
TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Emann

Match Video

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Rikuto

Match Video

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs NinjaCW

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Master

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs MC Kwiggle

Match Video

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

DoA is my tournament game. I actually hate fighting games XD. I tried a lot, but I just don’t like it. DoA has something special to it.

For casual I play Call of Duty (always newest version).

I am looking forward to the new Ghost Recon and “The Division”.

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I really had an serious idea about a new character, I also mentioned this to Team Ninja when I was in Tokyo for DOA FES:

My idea of a new character is an non-gender character. Could be an robot/plant/monster/alien/flubber/whatever. This character would be the real copy-ninja.

If someone picks this character, it will automatically play the same as the character it faces. So in other words: Always-mirror-match. It’s kinda like Mokujin from Tekken that is an “Random” but this one would be an “mirror/ditto/copy-ninja”.

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

First of all. Keep going to DoA-events! Tournaments or offline-session. This is how you get better, and improve your game.

If you lose, you have to know why you lost. And you have to think about a way of how you could have won that match.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook, or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Twitter? No.

Facebook
? I hate social media, but especially for DoA I made an facebook account: Gehakt Bal

Youtube: Glyx360

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to Every DoA player. You guys are awesome.

Last message in my own language:

Als laatste bericht wil ik graag delen hoe een Gehaktbal te maken.

Snij een ui in kleine stukjes, hak de peterselie fijn en verkuimel de beschuiten boven een kom (zeer fijn). Meng dit met het gehakt, het ei, zout en peper naar smaak, eetlepel mosterd en de nootmuskaat.

Vorm een bal van het gehaktmengsel. Laat een flinke klont boter smelten in een braadpan op hoog vuur. Braad hierin de Gehaktbal rondom en bruin aan. Voeg dan een half kopje heet water toe, wat ketjap, ketchup en mosterd en roer even door. Doe het deksel schuin op de pan, zet het vuur lager en laat de bal ongeveer 25 minuten gaar sudderen.

Eet smakelijk!

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Bass higher than Kasumi!? I think Matt Ponton would like to have a few words with you...

I can explain why this is my opinion. I can explain my whole tier-list. But i think this interview already is like reading a big-fat-book.

I can see Bass being higher than Kasumi overall, but I think the match-up itself favors Kasumi slightly.

KwonJigglypuff

Nice interview.

But I always though Jann Lee was his main for some reason.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the Spring DLC character matched his own wish...

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Gehaktboy!!! Interesting tier list, that's for sure.

Beginners always have to invest time and focus on learning the move-sets. In other words, they have to know what happens if you press a button, or an combination of buttons. When they know what their character is going to do when they press any button, they can continue to really learn the game/system.

I would agree 100% to this.

And I don't know but HurricaneRev looks kinda inactive to me. I played him only for about three times within the last year since he's almost never online. Maybe he's doing it all offline, haha.

And lol at this cooking recipe at the end. I may try it out when I'm waiting in the lobby queue to fight you next time xD.

Hurricane Rev

That was an alright interview. I'm happy about Gehaktbal getting the exposure that he deserves but there are some points that he made which I don't agree with when it comes to the European scene in general.

Europe may not be as strong as the US or Japan but there are some really great players within the EU Community that I feel should be added to the list of Top EU Players. That said, One way that really shouldn't determine whether someone is good or not is through Online. Online for DOA5 is not good whatsoever and personally, I pretty much stopped playing it online and just hold offline sessions in the UK, London.

There isn't that much tournaments in Europe compared to the US and so its hard to know after Gehaktbal, who's the player to watch in the EU. I really do wish Europe had many tournaments that the US have and that way, we can level up better and faster. At times, I was thinking about retiring DOA and just try to organise some big DOA events/sessions in the UK & Europe instead because that is really what we need.

But other than that, the interview was good. I hope to see more EU players getting interviewed.

And I don't know but HurricaneRev looks kinda inactive to me. I played him only for about three times within the last year since he's almost never online. Maybe he's doing it all offline, haha.

Like I said above, I stopped taking online seriously and I pretty much play it offline now. Don't get me wrong, I will play online if I feel like it but it won't be that much lool

Gehaktbal

But I always though Jann Lee was his main for some reason.
I used to main him in DoA5 Vanilla and the beginning of DoA:U.
After my match vs Sweet Revenge at RoF3, i decided to pick up other characters.

One way that really shouldn't determine whether someone is good or not is through Online.
I did met some good players online, who never show up at tournaments. I'm not saying that they are good offline, because i simply don't know.
"Regick" from Italy. Online he is really good, and i think he would rock offline as well. But again, i cannot know for sure until he proves it offline.

I don't think he knows those characters well enough so he did have to place them somewhere, lol.
You really should learn how to read. I couldn't care less what an online warrior like yourself thinks about my own tier-list. But saying i don't know the characters well enough, really is something for you to say. So here is a little help for you to read what i mentioned in this interview:
I can explain my whole tier-list.

Dark-truth

“If you lose, you have to know why you lost. And you have to think about a way of how you could have won that match.”
- Gehaktbal

29fcdg0.jpg

UprisingJC vs Gehaktbal - DOA Festival

Coming off a very impressive showing at DOA Festival, the Dutch player Gehaktbal is looking forward to showcase his skills as the European champion in this year’s Northeast Championships (NEC) to show that the 2014 TFC performance wasn’t just a fluke. He’s been practically unstoppable from the get-go with his consistent 1st place finishes in the European scene with only one exception. I needed to know more about him as a player. For example, how long has he been playing competitively? What’s his playstyle? How does he prepare for these tournaments despite having a small player base to train with? After having tracked down Gehaktbal, I was able to uncover these mysteries.

If you could spend time with a DOA character in real life, who would you want to hang out and why? GOOOO!!!!

Hang out with: I’m sure I would have a good time hanging out with Zack. He is crazy, funny, not to serious.

Name? Gaming alias?

Jim “Gehaktbal” Timmerman

Country of Origin?

The Netherlands

How did you come up with the name Gehaktbal?

Gehaktbal means “Meatball” in Dutch (my 1st language). When I got a lil older I decided to change my name to a less-serious and Dutch name. Why less serious? Because the main reason why I play videogames is to have fun. Forget about the serious stuff in real life and just have a good time.

Since my former alias begun with an “G” and since I like meatballs a lot! I decided to go with “Gehaktbal”. Also funny to hear foreigners saying my name.

About that name... So, how do you pronounce 'Gehaktbal' anyways? I notice a lot of people say your name differently, and I want to get to the bottom of this!

Its really hard to explain in text. I give at a go:

"Ge" is something really Dutch, this pronouncement is not common in a lot of languages. It’s like scraping your throat.

"hakt" is pronounced just like: "i just bought a new game" replace the b with an h and add the k right before the t.

"bal" is kinda the same as ball.

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?

Zack, Rachel and working on Gen Fu.

Do you think Zack and Rachel are particularly strong tournaments characters? Why do you play them versus the rest of the cast?

Yes i do think Zack and Rachel are strong tournament characters. Many players have an Rachel-sub because she is just all about the reads. Her moves are super easy, so you can focus 100% on reading your opponent. A few good reads and you got the match with Rachel.

Then Zack, is a character you don't see often in tournaments. I'm not sure why, because his speed, string mix-ups and pressure game is insane! Sure he does not have many guaranteed stuff or good sit-down stuns, but he does have what it takes to win a major, if you ask me.

Why do i choose to play with these characters? It's all about being comfortable with you character in an tournament.

Nerves will kill you, so you better pick a character you are 100% comfortable with. DoA is a game where all characters can win. Of course there are character with more tools than others. But in DoA, all characters can win. It’s about your own mind game.

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

Hmm this is good question. It makes me realize I actually played “competitively” very soon after I first touched DoA. Because DoA4 is my first DoA. It launched in 2006, and in 2006 there already was WorldCyberGames. I really was bad, and still new to the game back then. I ended up top 8 of The Netherlands. So to answer this question: I’ve been playing casually + competitively for 9 years now.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

1. Random

2. Cheap

3. Lucky

Lol, nah I don’t know. I got a lot of comments saying I am an “Turtler”. Although I think my play style changed a little since I went to TFC 2014 (USA).

Some players say I play a lot with reacting on whatever happens on the screen.

So I don’t really have got 3 words to describe my playstyle. I try to change my playstyle every time it’s needed. For example: my playstyle is defensive, turtling and waiting. If I lose, I try to change my playstyle to offensive, short-range and going in…

It sound like you’re a really dynamic player. Do you think that’s probably how the ideal best DOA player should be? Or is this just the particular ‘style’ you developed into?

If you ask me, i think the ideal best DOA player should be dynamic. Adapt to your opponent and play with the most effective play style in that match.

How do you think a new player should approach DOA as a beginner? Like what do you think they should focus on or learn first?

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you spar or train with for an upcoming tournament?

I try to prepare for the event on the event itself. To spar with good players before the tournament starts. Getting that “offline” feeling.

At home I rarely play offline.

Some people say playing online is a hindrance to learning the game. How far do you think a player can take Online in improving?

Online is a great way to learn movesets (for beginners) and learning set-ups, shown by other players. You can see what other players use for launchers and max-damage juggles. It's a great way to get into the game.

But if you know all the basics, then online wouldn't teach you anything more.

Offline is where the magic happens. React on moves, punish -8 moves, spacing, hold follow-ups, slow-escape, fuzzy guard. This will all work offline every time.

What are the tournaments you have attended and how did you place?

Do you really want to know? It’s a lot! I have listed all my 26 offline-tournaments and 10 online-tournaments here:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...active-and-non-active.2829/page-3#post-107940

Wow that’s the DOA resume! I had no idea you attended so many offline events! Are there any upcoming Tournaments you will be participating in the near future besides NEC?

Yes! I will go to “GameChanger” @ London. It’s the 17th of October. This will be my last offline experience before NEC.

Info: http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ournaments-offline-tournament-in-london.5925/

Any prediction on how well you will do on that tournament?

Not to sound cocky, but I think I will win this tournament. Why? I did not lose any European tournament (with all European players) since DoA5-Vanilla came out (2012).

Speaking about the European players, most people are not very familiar with the European scene. I've known about Skatan Mila in DOA4 and a few other European players I've heard about in DOA5 were you (Gehaktbal), Hurricane Rev, AlexMaGanda, Murasaki-dono, and XI_C412L_IX. Can you tell us more about the DOA scene in Europe? Is it healthy and have you seen it growing these couple of years?

Hmm. To start off with Skatan Milla (Sweden). He retired from DoA before DoA5 came out. Just like other top-doa4-players in Europe: THE TACTICAL (Germany), Messy (UK). They all retired before DoA5 came out. A shame because I think they would have loved DoA5 because of the more-skill-based system.

To go on with the names you listed:

Hurricane Rev (I think nr2 of UK)

AlexMaGanda (Online warrior (no offense) from Germany) Never went to an Tournament.

Murasaki-dono, aka “Snow” (nr2 of France)

XI_C412L_IX, aka Carl (nr1 of UK)

We also have Ky-Dragon (nr1 of France) and JayceeChris (top3 of France).

As for the European scene, you can almost call it the French-scene with a few players from other countries. France has the biggest community and own forums. This is why European tournaments in France are the biggest tournaments in Europe. I do see new players coming out to tournaments, but next to that I also see players dropping DoA. So most of the time we have around the same amount of players showing up at tournaments.

Gehaktbal vs Murasaki-dono at Stun Academy 3

Gehaktbal vs Ky-Dragon at Stun Academy 3

Match Video

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

I think I can only judge DoA4, DoAD and DoA5 (all versions).

I have to say that I hate DoAD the most. The whole system was just wrong. That game was a real Rock-Paper-Scissor game.

I like DoA5 (all versions) the most. They brought the luck-factor down. Now the player who is more skilled will more likely win then in any other DoA-game.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added, or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances, more characters or stages?

More characters are always welcome.

More stages? Why not? It’s not something I am really waiting for though.

And about balance-changes, I don’t know.. Of course I could ask for buffing my main character(s), but what’s the use of that? I am enjoying balance patches, just because the game has something new again. I think the game is well balanced.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I enjoy watching: Sweet Revenge, Lopedo, Master, XcaliburBladez, Kwiggle, E-mann.

And I actually have played against them offline except for XcaliburBladez… yet.

Since you live in the Netherlands, is it possible for you to have local offline casuals with anyone or do you actually have to travel to another country to play against other players?

I did organize a couple of offline-session at my home. Highest number of players was 5 …XD

I also went to France for some offline-sessions. Just because I was hungry for offline play.

You have been lighting up the DOA scene with your spectacular play and amazing tournament results, especially with your recent result of placing 3rd at the DOA Festival in Japan. You even managed to become one of the select few of the NEC qualifiers by besting UprisingJC for that ticket! How did you get to that skill level despite the lack of strong players in the Europe?

Thanks to forums as doacentral and freestepdodge.com I learnt a lot about the game and about the characters I like to play with. I really studied as if it was something I wanted to graduate for. I took my homework to offline tournaments in Europe and it payed off. I’m always watching the livestreams of big Tournaments around the world. I’m not just watching as if I’m watching TV. I really try to explain to myself everything I see the top players do.

You've played the US, Japanese, and Taiwanese players. How does Europe stack against them in terms of player skill and the sizes of the community? Can you tell us the differences between each regions play style? Do you see any pros and/or cons with each respective regions?

What I think:

USA got the best TOP-players

Japan got the best players overall

Europe…. Needs to work (But they/we are working on it)

I did play against Taiwanese players and casuals versus the Korean player “Test.” They also showed solid skills.

I think the Japanese players are the best players in executing stuff. Like: always slow-escape fastest. Always fuzzy guard. Solid Korean-Back-Dash. Always punish.

But The top USA players are the best players when it comes to mind-game. And “mind-game” is what it takes to win ;)

Who’s a really underrated online or offline player that you feel doesn’t get enough credit or is unknown?

Hmm, I guess top Asian players overall. They don't get credit from the most European+North American players, and i bet the majority doesn't even know them.

In Europe, that would be "Regick" from Italy. Online he is really good, and i think he would rock offline as well. But again, i cannot know for sure until he proves it offline.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

1. Christie

2. Gen Fu

3. Akira

4. Helena

5. Ayane

6. Sarah

7. Leifang

8. Rachel

9. Pai

10. Hayabusa

11. Zack

12. Rig

13. Jann Lee

14. Hitomi

15. Mila

16. Bass

17. Alpha

18. Kasumi

19. Hayate

20. Bayman

21. Tina

22. Marie Rose

23. Kokoro

24. Leon

25. Brad Wong

26. Lisa

27. Ein

28. Momiji

29. Nyo Tengu

30. Eliot

31. Honoka

32. Jacky

33. Phase4

34. Raidou

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

My most epic moments where:

• Republic Of Fighters 3: Grand Finals: Gehaktbal vs Sweet Revenge

This was the first time I got to play against an player outside of Europe, and to make it even better: This guy (Sweet Revenge) was winning every tournament in USA and decided to fly over to Europe for this European Major.

I did a reset in Grand Final and it came down to the last match. This was my most epic experience ever.

Republic of Fighters 3: Grand Finals: Gehaktbal vs Sweet Revenge

• My matches at TFC 2014 would be my most epic adventure. So many good players. So hard to even come out of pools! And yet I succeeded and defeated players who I really admire. Ended up 4th losing to the Champion Kwiggle.
TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Emann

Match Video

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Rikuto

Match Video

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs NinjaCW

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs Master

TFC 2014: Gehaktbal vs MC Kwiggle

Match Video

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

DoA is my tournament game. I actually hate fighting games XD. I tried a lot, but I just don’t like it. DoA has something special to it.

For casual I play Call of Duty (always newest version).

I am looking forward to the new Ghost Recon and “The Division”.

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I really had an serious idea about a new character, I also mentioned this to Team Ninja when I was in Tokyo for DOA FES:

My idea of a new character is an non-gender character. Could be an robot/plant/monster/alien/flubber/whatever. This character would be the real copy-ninja.

If someone picks this character, it will automatically play the same as the character it faces. So in other words: Always-mirror-match. It’s kinda like Mokujin from Tekken that is an “Random” but this one would be an “mirror/ditto/copy-ninja”.

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

First of all. Keep going to DoA-events! Tournaments or offline-session. This is how you get better, and improve your game.

If you lose, you have to know why you lost. And you have to think about a way of how you could have won that match.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook, or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Twitter? No.

Facebook
? I hate social media, but especially for DoA I made an facebook account: Gehakt Bal

Youtube: Glyx360

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to Every DoA player. You guys are awesome.

Last message in my own language:

Als laatste bericht wil ik graag delen hoe een Gehaktbal te maken.

Snij een ui in kleine stukjes, hak de peterselie fijn en verkuimel de beschuiten boven een kom (zeer fijn). Meng dit met het gehakt, het ei, zout en peper naar smaak, eetlepel mosterd en de nootmuskaat.

Vorm een bal van het gehaktmengsel. Laat een flinke klont boter smelten in een braadpan op hoog vuur. Braad hierin de Gehaktbal rondom en bruin aan. Voeg dan een half kopje heet water toe, wat ketjap, ketchup en mosterd en roer even door. Doe het deksel schuin op de pan, zet het vuur lager en laat de bal ongeveer 25 minuten gaar sudderen.

Eet smakelijk!
Hmm gehaktbal we can play sometime when i got some free time i would be glad to play versus you never played offline versus good players tbh

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Be respectful to each other. This is the only warning I'll give.

Dark-truth

Do not try to start something after I warn people publicly. Warning points have been issued.
Sometimes i really get the feeling offline players think that they're way better than online players. It's complete bs to me offline isn't all that different tbh like only difference is that offline has no lag and it's smoother but that's it and don't try to start to discuss with me because i won't be polite

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@Gehaktbal while I'm sure you can explain your tier list, I will have to say that I couldn't believe all of it. Simply because there is literally no one anywhere playing DOA that has expert level experience against every single character in this game.

For some or maybe even most of the roster, I'd consider the other party's opinion to that of my own. But for one person to explain an entire tier list, I cannot. Not in DOA5. A top 5 or even top 15 is believable.

I will say I am interested in why you think Ayane is top 5. I'm always interested in hearing how much another strong player actually knows about my character.

Gehaktbal

If an interviewer asks me if I got an personal Tier-list, I’m giving my Tier-list of my own thoughts and opinion. I’m listing all characters, and not just 5 or 15. Why? What if I experienced only 5 characters on expert-level. Do I have to “tier” these 5 characters as top tier? Simply because I never fought vs other characters on expert-level? No.

I disagree to have to experience a character on expert-level to “tier” this character. Why? With training and research you can check all pros and cons of a character. Even if you never played against this character on expert-level I think you can have an opinion about this character, because you know what tools it has.

Even if you meet a player who most likely to be on expert-level with an character. If this persons mindgame is not as good, someone would probably “tier” this character lower as the character maybe would deserve, simply because the player who knows everything of the character is losing.

Of course I don’t know everything about all characters, like the detailed stuff for example “unholdables”. But I do know the overall pros and cons of all characters, that’s why I do have an tier-list of my own.
This is why a comment like the one from Jaimy, one of the rotten apples in this community, (that I don’t know specific characters well enough) is bothering me. (On one of the characters he was talking about, I did major research and wanted to use it in tournaments).

Just to be clear: I don’t mind people disagreeing with my own tier-list. But don’t think I put characters in an specific spot because you think I don’t know the character well enough.

Now to give you my input of why I “tier” Ayane on the 5th spot.

Ayane Pros: Evasiveness, crushing, reach, safeness, moves that helps good spacing, grab that guarantees stun, not slow, long mixable strings, midK+midP CB, whole moveset backwards, expert holds.

Ayane Cons: lightweight, no OH, not one of the fastest chars.

Conclusion: Her crushing moves and evasiveness makes up for her not being one of the fastest characters. If I take all her tools and compare it to the rest of the cast I think #5 is the right place for her, in my own tier-list.

Gehaktbal

The weight of a character decides the amount of damage your opponent can do in juggles. Therefore the weight of a character is seen as a pro or con. Midweight being neutral. Heavy weight being a pro. Lightweight+Alphaweight being a con.

Your opinion is different from my opinion about certain players in this community.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD