DOA5LR The Kunoichi of Destiny - DOA5LR Kasumi Comprehensive Breakdown

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
1926832_10203639511890960_2067357501_n.jpg

"I know What I must do" - :kasumi:
How he she do that!? I call it dope boi gurl magic!
- Yung Joc

What's up, my fellow brethren?! 1st of all, I want to give quick shout outs to my friends & fellow peers @Allan Paris (CORN LuCky), Shade Swifteye (@Shade), @Prince Adon , @BBoyDragon, @Keylay , @Tenryuga, , @UprisingJC, @ToKyo PewPew (for the banner also) @panicitstylor & @RenderingStar .

They are also members to look for if you want help with Kasumi & found a lot of stuff that is posted in this thread. Now I will say Kasumi takes some getting used to if you want to "completely learn & perfect her to full potential. She does great damage, but you have to spend lots of time in the lab/training section to get her juggle timing down to where you'll complete them.

Since joining the DOA community in 2012, I already knew who my main was. I have been playing Kasumi every since DOA1, when I was around 5 or 6 years of age (Sega Saturn & PS1 days). This was the 1st ever female character that I mained in any fighting game. After her, then came Chun Li (from Street Fighter), Kitana & Mileena (from Mortal Kombat), Pai & Sarah (from Virtua Fighter), Taki (from Soul Calibur) & many other girls of fighting games. For the most part of my roster, they have all been ninjas with the males included.

I took the time to study the game & her as a character with some help along the way from Allan Paris, Shade Swifteye, HajinShinobi, NinjaCW, Silent Legend, Shin Ryujin, Sorwah, Master, Hoodless, Sweet Revenge, Chosen1, Adon, Requiem, & Tenryuga, some good friends of mine within the community. Then came along a few others. It's a huge honor as a fan of her's to write this guide & use her both online & offline at events. It's only fitting that I do.

The Overview

This topic is to discuss & help people with the proper way to play Kasumi. Kasumi is a well-rounded character that emphasizes mostly an offensive game. With fast pokes, anti-spacing tools, she is a character that controls the pace of most of her fights. She is also very string-heavy meaning that you will have to have to be very exceptional with string delaying (also known as free canceling) to go into different follow ups. She isn't great for turtling. She is however, decent at footsies & has tools that reach just out in character range in space with 6PK, 3K, PK3K being some examples. Her main goal is to fight within character range & move "in your face". Turtling is one of worst ways to approach her. Again she will take some work, but once you learn her, she is a treat.

Legend
Directionals
:1: = 1/down back
:2: = 2/down
:3: = 3/down forward
:4: = 4/back/guard (block)
:5: = 5/neutral
:6: = 6/forward
:7: = 7/back up
:8: = 8/up
:9: = 9/up forward

Buttons
:P: = Punch (P)
:K: = Kick (K)
:F:/:h::+::P: = Throw (T)
:h: = Hold (H)/Cancel/Standing stiff guard (block)
:P+K: = Punch plus kick
:H+K: = Hold plus kick

Terms
NH = Normal hit
CH = Counter hit
HCH = High counter hit
FT = Front turned stance
BT = Back turned stance
R1F = Round 1 Fight

+ Green means positive changes or positive notes
- Red means negative changes or negative notes

Pros
+ Very Fast (9/11/12)
+ Very straightforward at 1st glance for beginners
+ Out pokes people very easily
+ Very good throwing game
+ Great counter poker
+ Great for aggressive players
+ Players facing her MUST respect her speeds
+ Hard for certain characters to frame trap because of her speeds
+ One of the few characters who can bypass the stun game
+ Great on R1F
+ Great tracking tools
+ Great baiting out holds
+ Has great guaranteed damage
+ Great wall & ceiling game
+ Stylish juggle combos, generally flashy character
+ Sexy (for those who like her looks)
+Ninja :kasumi:

Cons
- Very unsafe
- Doesn't have that much range out in space
- Lightweight character
- In 5U, she took a few nerfs to some of her best tools, but also gained some new tools that are useful
- If she (the player) doesn't have good spacing, good reads, patience in general, or good fundamentals of the game, then characters with good keep out will give her a tough time
- Juggles for maximum damage output take tons of practice for good timing with hoshinpo transitions, 66K~K, & 9PK
- Guard Breaks aren't reliable
- Has a few hitbox issues
- Very popular character in the franchise which can also mean that she's one of the most studied competitively.
- While she may be easy to get into, she's harder to master (intermediate/moderate learning curve)

- Just as well as she's generally flashy, flashiness (reckless play) can get her (you) killed; if a player is looking to main Kasumi, they either need to have the mindset to learn her for what she is or play her technical (competitive) level. Otherwise, she will leave bad impression.
- For the casual fans, instead of outfits to dress in, she needs more ninja gear to fight in, but nothing beats the blue ninja armor (C1) :cool:

Note: There is also a "Ultimate Kasumi guide" video at the bottom of this guide with other key sources to this guide. If you need a visual idea of her setups & combos, take a look at the video. However, you still would want to check to see what's safe & unsafe about her so you will know what to do.

Note: This is new change in Last Round. Her teleport input from the juggles have been simplified. You can now use both 6P+K (:6::P+K:) & just "6" (:6_:). So if you read anything with 6P+K in it, keep in mind that this also means just 6 for the teleports from the juggles.

Close range combat
She is a scary monster when she is up close in your face. She is one of the fastest characters in the game if not THE fastest. She has a 9i high jab, an 11i mid, & a 12i low. She even has a high kick coming out at 11i, & a 15i mid kick. She has very fast throws to chose from, fast pokes, & very good with her opponent backed up against the wall.

Front turned
P/:P: - Very fast universal poke coming out at 9 frames (9i). It can interrupt an opponent's high jab or a very slow jab that they use. Very good for punch-grab (tick throw) setups,-3 on block. You could also bait them into high holding for a mid poke.

PP/:P::P: - PP is another tick throwing setup string which is also safe. PP is a natural combo on NH.

PPP/:P::P::P: - PPP has the same deal as P & PP, -9 on block. It's also a good string after a poke as an option.

PPPP/:P::P::P::P: - Another string option, but it's unsafe at -10 on block

PPPPP/:P::P::P::P::P: - *This was one of the changes in 5U* This string is now -8 on block. Be careful with how you use this one & PPPP.

8P/:8::P: - A 20i mid, safe at -5 on block, crushes lows & low wake ups.

44P (:4::4::P:) - These punch strings all evade attacks & tracks, but they are unsafe on block. Very good to use to fake out your opponent They are similar to the P strings. 44PK & 44PP are natural combos on NH & CH while 44P6P is a natural combo on CH.

PK/:P::K: - This is a great exchange for most of her match-ups if you catch someone trying to use a high attack against you. The P is a 9i jab along with a kick that beats highs & mids. That tells the story. This gives you the advantage on hit to keep or get your offense going. With this string, you can free cancel into a string like a PKK > KK7K combo series (PKK7K/PKKP/KKP/KK7K etc) or aim for a different mixup option. PK is also a natural combo on NH & CH

K/:K: - The 11 frame (11i) kick coming out as a high. It also can be used to blow up mid parry abusers.

KK/:K::K: - KK is similar to PK. The difference in between the 2 is that the kick is coming out at 11 frames which is a little bit slower. However, all of the options remain the same in terms of mixup options (KK7K/PKK7K/KKP/PKKP combo series etc).

6P/:6::P: - 6P is the 11 frame mid (11i). Very fast poke that interrupt a slower string of another character. However, depending on a certain character's move, it sometimes doesn't work due to the hitbox issue such as Helena. It can be a pain sometimes, but nonetheless, 6P is a good fast poke that leads to very good options after the poke.

*6PK/:6::P::K: - 6PK is a safe tool. While it comes out as -12, the kick within the string does a lot of push back enough to keep safe. Arguably one of her best tools to use. If the kick connects within the string, it causes a stun. You have the same option with PP6PK/:P::P::6::P::K: as well (-12 also). With both strings, could either opt for a mid kick that knocks them back for spacing if they don't expecting it or the low kick option that causes a trip stun (6PK2K/PP6PK2K) but they are unsafe on block as well as low throw punishable.

4P/:4::P: - 4P is coming out at 12 frames (12i) as a mid. Another fast poke with the same properties as 6P, sometimes a better option than 6P in certain character match-ups. It possesses crush properties because she ducks under certain strings & interrupts a high jab. 4PP is a high crush. It is also guaranteed after 4H+K (with 4PP & 4PK as quick stun > launch options)

4PK/:4::P::K: - 4PK is one of her launching strings. It's unsafe on block, however it's a great option for a mixup to launch with. The 4P is also guaranteed after 4H+K with 4PK being a quick launch after it. It is also guaranteed after H+K. The full string of it is 4PKK (:4::P::K::K:), also a great combo ender for certain juggles.

3P(:3::P:)/3PP(:3::P::P:)/3PPP(:3::P::P::P:) - 3P is another mid option (a lifting stun) that puts your opponent into a deeper stun than 6P & 4P. It's a great stun to use to extend threshold. It stuffs the low hold options of the opponent as does the others & also launches both after the 1st 3rd assuming that they mishold & on max stun level. 3PP is a natural combo also guaranteed after 4H+K that extends the stun even more while 3PPP puts opponents into a sit-down stun on level 2 threshold & bounds for juggle options on max threshold.

6K (:6::K:/6KK (:6::K::K:) - 6K, unsafe on block, tracking mid, received a hitbox adjustment in 5U, but still gets beat out by a few characters. It also stuns & has use from launch juggles from 236T & 46H despite the adjustment made (6K PPKK). It's just a bit harder to time. 6KK is semi-safe at -7 on block is a natural combo that is guaranteed after 4H+K. It wall splats & interacts with danger zones just like the rest of the tools that splats.

P+K(:P+K:)/P6P (:P::6::P:) -These are both similar strings that got a buff with the patch with the hitbox adjustment & have great tracking. With the positive change in the patch, they help her in several match ups. They both have an extra punch within the strings to extend the stun game, P+KP (:P+K::P:) & P6PP (:P::6::P::P:) they are both unsafe on block but wall splats for a follow up.

2P/:2::P: - 2P is a low jab that stops highs & mids. It's 12 frames which is very fast for a low jab. It's also a great jab to use to bait the opponent into low holding & using a mid jab.

1P/:1::P: - 1P is actually not a good poking tool because when it hits on normal hit you are pretty much giving up the advantage to your opponent. For this you should only use it as a defensive poke. It also took a slight nerf.

33P/:3::3::P: - 33P crushes highs & mids. It's also a small launcher. Since Team Ninja implemented a smooth crouching input within the game, it's a little bit easier to use than before. 33P as a launcher when use allows for stuff like PP6P6K (:P::P::6::P::6::K:), BT2P > 4PKK (:2::P: :4::P::K::K:) etc.

2H+K/:2::H+K:- A tracking low sweep. It's low throw punishable & very slow to use, but some that may catch people off guard when side stepping.

66H+K/:6::6::H+K:- Running tracking low. This is one of her tools getting in. Once she has her opponents respecting this, that's when her whiff punishers come into play.

4H+K/:4::H+K: - This is hands down one of her greatest tools in DOA5/5U/LR. It is a mid kick. It can be held, but 4H+K is -6 on block (safe), gives a high bounce from behind on her critical burst as a follow up option & ceilings, puts them into a sit-down stun, great tool to create space when needed, has several guaranteed follow ups to it(3P, 3PP, 6KK, 66P, P+K, 6P, & 4P), force techs at +23 that you can use with several juggles that leads to it (-23 if they tech however), bounds with several small juggle options, & wall splats. 4H+K is also an unholdable after any combo variation with a 9K ender (PP6P6K, 6P6K, etc).

H+K(:H+K:)/PPK (:P::P::K:)/44PPK (:4::4::P::P::K:) - Another great tool, 17i. In vanilla, it guaranteed 6K, but now it's slow escapable & holdable. However, it still has 4PK for all 3 tools that you can't get out of along with 66P for H+K after a stun. It also guaranteed 9K, 6P6K, & 4PK. The opponent can't slow escape it in time enough to adjust to it. There's also a teching option for the slow escaping opponent, H+K 66PP P+K for +8. The tool itself has many options. You can also transition into the hoshinpo dash from it & bait your opponent into a throw, punch, or kick from it (:H+K::6_: series). The opponent can also crush & low hold to duck the attack. Now, also when the opponent high holds, they get a reward for guessing correctly. In other words, it is no longer unholdable.

9P/9PK- 9P jumps over the opponent on wake up that gives a BT4P launcher or a 2K. However, if it's blocked it's punishable. 9PK now bounds in 5U. It still guard breaks & is able to still teleport in hoshinpo, but the problem that still remains is that the string hits high, meaning that it can be ducked & leave her vulnerable for a punish of any kind. This a high risk vs reward option. 9PK going into her hoshinpo dash guarantees her KK, P+K & K into a juggle if the risk pays off. This also applies to her new guard break 66PP 6P+K 9PK 6P+K KK. However, since 9PK now bounds & is now an option after her hoshinpo teleport (6P+K after a string), 9PK did receive better use through new combo strings in 5u such as KK7K 6P+K 9PK 6P+K KK.

33K/:3::3::K: - 33K is a mid kick launcher, 16i. On paper, it's unsafe at -11, but it's safe on block due to the big push back that it does on block. Also, a great wake up game option, timing wake up kicks to score a counter hit.

8K/:8::K: - A high kick launcher, 12i.

2KK/:2::K::K: - A low-to-mid kick launcher that also wall splats.

3K (:3::K:)/3KK (:3::K::K:) - 3K is 15i, now -8 on block (change in 5U) has decent range & stuns while 3KK does push back & wall splat, unsafe on block. This tool can be used can be use out in space.

6K (:6::K:)/6KK (:6::K::K:) - 6K received a hitbox adjustment in 5U but still gets stopped by a few character's tools, unsafe at -14. It also stuns, has use for a combo from juggle launchers mainly from 236T (6K PPKK). On some stages with the adjustments made to it from the patch, it's a little bit harder to time, but still of good use for a simple wall juggle. 6KK is also unsafe on block, but it's a natural combo that is guaranteed after 4H+K & wall splats. It's also very good with interacting with dangerzones.

5T/:F: - A neutral throw coming out at 5i, throw breakable.

6T/:6::F: - A punish throw coming out at 7i. It's the most common throw punish that you would use for unsafe moves on block.

33T/:3::3::F: - This is her oboro throw. It is now changed back to what it was in vanilla. It's 17i & does more damage since the last patch update. This throw is also has a running grab & a grab after her hoshinpo dash as well.

8T-T/:8::F::~::F: - An overhead throw that used to be an OH according to those before me. If it's ducked, then you are being low throw punished for it.

4T/:4::F: - Another throwing option of her's (10i), the "stomping throw" as most people would like to call it.

214T/:214::F: - A 12i throw.

236T/:236::F: (:236::H+P:) - Also a 12i throw, one of her best tools. This throw can be use for tick throws (as all of her throws can), but this one gives a juggle follow up. She has many options that you can choose from, but you really need at least 2 juggles, 3 at the most ideally (one for the ceiling stages also). You need one BNB juggle (66K~K 7K 6P+K KK/ :6::6::K::5::K: :7::K: :6::P+K::K::K:, new BNB for open space that wall carries but also messes up when you're really close to wall) that hurts near the wall & one that hurts out in open space for each class. The former BNB that she had was 6K PPKK/:6::K:,:P::P::K::K: is still good but because of the 6K adjustment that was made to it made it even harder to time; it whiffs in open space sometimes. It is still good to use if you're aware of the walls being close by to where you are on the stage. If you can, there are other wall juggle options that also hurts the opponent a bit worse, but this one is more reliable. You decide.

46T/:4::6::F: - A new tool that was added in 5U. +10, but actually have a little more than that; the once it connects keeps pressure with her, 7i. It is best used when an opponent is blocking to open them up. It could previously negate crouching and fuzzing guarding but she has lost that privilege since the release of the 1.05 patch.

2T/:2::F:/ - A low throw also a throw punish that wall splat.

1T/:1::F: - A low throw punishing throw that launches the same way as 236T (:236::F:). However, not all juggles that works for 236T will work for 1T. You need a few juggles that will hurt the worst, basically the same amount for the 236T.

66T (:6::6::F:) - 66T is a good throw, but it's throw breakable if you don't know the delay timing. The options after 66T are 66T-T (:6::6::F::~::F:) & 66T-K (:6::6::F::~::2::F:). 66T-T has several options after it (guaranteed): 6P6K, 4PK, 7K6P+K, & 6PK. All good options after she teleports behind the opponent.

1K/:1::K: - 1K is a 20 frame trip stun that tracks & allows for 6P, 4P, & 3P on no slow escape for stun game entry.

9K(:9::K: )/6P6K (:6::P::6::K:)/PP6P6K (:P::P::6::P::6::K:) - 9K is great option to stop lows, that you can score a counter hit with. After the counter hit in open space, you have 4PKK (:4::P::K::K:) or if you score a wall hit, you have that along with 33P's relaunch combo option (33P > 2P > 4PKK, etc). Through the stun game, all of these tools will cause a high ground bounce for a juggle follow up. 6P6K also punishes strings like Lei Fang's shoulder thrust launcher for a juggle follow up if blocked. They also cause a hard knockdown.

3PK (:3::P::K:) /4K (:4::K:)/PPPK - New tools in 5U. These 3 strings are similar except for the 3P in 3PK which hits mid. The kicks in both tools hit highs so they can be ducked if the opponent sees it coming. Both tools on after the wall hit gives her BT2P (:2::P:) & a juggle follow-up 3PK is solid for someone hold low holds up against the wall trying to avoid tools like PP6P6K, 2KK, 4K 66P, & so on with a low hold. Both strings also have an ender to them with each of them having a kick, 3PKK (:3::P::K::K:) & 4KK (:4::K::K:) giving her BT 2P & a small juggle follow up after it. These strings also received a buff in terms of 3PKP (:3::P::K::P:), 4KP (:4::K::P:), & PPPKP. The launch height now gives her a juggle follow up. However, since the 1.05 patch, they reduced the damage of 4K a bit nerfing the strings' damage potential.

6P2K (:6::P::2::K:)/4P2K (:4::P::2::K:), 3P2K (:3::P::2::K:), PP6K2K (:P::P::6::K::2::K:), K2K (:K::2::K:), 6K2K (:6::K::2::K:) - All of these strings have the same enders & track. They force a hard knockdown except for 6P2K. It's a light stun on normal hit, trip stun on counter, & gets a critical stun is a hard knockdown. After the hard knockdowns, you have teching options with 1P (:1::P:), 2K (:2::K:), & such. All of these are unsafe on block. PP6K2K & 6K2K both are +11 force techs at critical level 3, found by Allan Paris. You have delay to 2nd kick on both of them.

7K/:7::K: - Not something that you would use normally in the neutral, but it's a great counter hitting tool that also play a key role in certain match-ups such as Brad Wong & his mid kicks in his laydown stance, unsafe at -30, executes 12i. 7K also isn't a holdable kick. Instead, the opponents side steps the kick if they opt to hold it. It's also a good wall splat option. It also has small follow ups after it with 6P+K/:6::P+K: (her hoshinpo teleport) & guaranteed after 66T.

Spacing, whiff punishing/defensive options
Kasumi doesn't have many range tools if any at all at the back of the screen. It's not a good idea to just mash buttons in order to draw your opponent in. It's better to inch your way in & keep Kasumi within range to order to get in & whiff punish. Eventually, your opponent will back their way into a corner, which is where anybody who is facing her does not want to be since she has one of the best wall games in the game.

For the most part up close, she is interrupting, scoring counter hits opponent's strings, transitions & jabs with her fast speeds: P (9i high), 6P (11i mid), 4P (12i mid), 1P (16i low), 3P (13i mid), 33P (high crush), 8P (a high that crushes lows) & 2P (12i low that crushes highs & mids). Against some characters, she can even use launchers with these jabs with follow ups like 4PK & 6P6K. Also, 3K can be used out in a reason space since it has decent range (see 3K above). 4H+K can also be used for the same purposes for someone who chucks out an attack (4H+K section above).

As mentioned above, 66H+K & the following spacing & getting in options are as followed:

3P+K/:3::P+K: - This is her hoshinpo dash. It's mainly used to close in on your opponent when they're backing away. It can also duck under highs for opponents who attempt to chuck out highs across the screen, mainly in order to whiff punish her. She has 4 options from it. She can either dash in, dash in & punch, kick or throw. The downside of this tool is that if she opts for 3P+KP, it can either be ducked or sidestepped, 3P+KK hits mid, but it can be sidestepped, & her 3P+KT stops tracking but can be ducked. 3P+K itself you have to be careful with in order to avoid being counter-blown. 66K is guaranteed if the opponent chooses not to slow escape the sit-down stun of 3P+KP, but it's very hard to react to it. 3P+KP is also an unholdable with a knockdown variation of 9K (6P6K, PP6P6K, etc)

66K(:6::6::K:)/66K~K (:6::6::K::~::K:)/66KK (:6::6::K::K:)*New tool in 5u - 66K is a whiff punisher. Although its -10, it's a worthy whiff punisher to use. If 66K connects, that opens up options for your offense. The move also can punish wake ups if timed right. If the opponent blocks 66K, 66K~K (The new input change from the original 66KK. It now bounds) is -3 which is safe. 66K~K's bound gives small follow ups like 4PKK (:4::P::K::K:), 7K P+K (:7::K::P+K:) & so on. The risk of the tools is getting held & getting blown up when it gets misused out in space in terms of foolishly running in with them. 66KK, the new one puts her at +11 if the opponent slow escapes, +20 if they decide not to. It also bounds but it is unsafe at -17. Another downside to all 3 tools is that they are all can be sidestepped. However, I would personally consider 66K one of her best tools, arguably a top 10 toolset.

66P (:6::6::P:)/66PP (:6::6::P:) - 66P & 66PP are both whiff punishers. 66P causes a stun when opponents hold their gut & fall to the ground while 66PP is a guard break. After they are guard broken, the opponent can either side step with an attack or crush. Crushing will beat all options except for K. The sidestepping options with beat everything except for her throw from hoshinpo. Sidestep attack completely neuters hoshinpo & can only be dealt with by canceling dash & using a tracking attack. With 66PP, you can teleport into frame advantage at +4 if the opponent doesn't hit a button, with options like P+K, 6PK & P6P. When they're close to the wall, you can use 66PP6P+KP (:6::6::P::P::6::P+K::P:) for a wall splat & a juggle follow up. However the string coming out of the hoshinpo teleport can be ducked. She can also teleport into +7 with 66P+K6P+K9PK6P+K (:6::6::P::P::6::P+K::9::P::K::6::P+K:), but the opponent can duck this even moreso than 66PP6+K. The string can be broken up of the opponent mashes also when she uses it.

6H+K/:6::H+K: - This move can also serve as a whiff punisher for people who try to run in her. It causes a turn around stun, wall slams, & allows you to move in to start you offense. 6H+KK serves as a keep off tool while 6H+K2K causes a trip up, both follow ups guaranteed.

Holds
7H/:7::h: - High hold

4H/:4::h: - Mid punch hold

6H/:6::h: - Mid kick hold

1H/:7::h: - Low hold, juggle follow up after low kick (KK7K 6P+K 9PK 6P+K KK is the strongest juggle & works on every character, universal while PPKK & PKK7K 6P+K KK are more simple but still universal).

46H/:4::6::h: - Expert mid kick hold launcher, giving a free juggle follow up. You need 3 juggles at the most for each class just like 1T & 236T.

Parries
Her parries are situational. She is always at an advantage to where the opponent can't hit a button, but not always guaranteeing you a launch. 9H (:9::h:) & 3H (:1::h:) are normal parries while 49H (:4::9::h:) & 43H (:4::1::h:) are expert parries. If her back is up against the wall, she can use an expert parry, 49H or 43H for a wall splat & combo. The normal parries are the ones often used to pick up the frame advantage & guaranteed damage. It's not wise for the opponent to whack the buttons once she parries. They make it worse by doing so.

Depending on the situation, there's a possibility she could be counter blown also since she has to commit to hoshinpo. In order to get off a launcher such as 6P6K or 4PK. 6PK is also used. It depends on how bad the opponent is parried. She has be at +7 to get anything guaranteed. The expert parries however, often lead to a counter blow hit on Kasumi if misused. Be careful with them.

These are tools that are used to beat her opponents. The thread will be updated if more is found on her. For, now discuss with other clan members of the MTC tengimon sect in order to combat your foes.

Beginner's tutorial video by Allan Paris:

Combo videos by Uprising JC:

Ultimate Kasumi guide video by PanicItsTylor & RenderingStar

Some Kasumi game footage:
"This is Mugen Tenshin!" - :kasumi:

Last edited:

b-bombs

Standard Donor
Incredible, JDE. Hyper helpful! Thanks for putting in all the work to make this happen

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
It wasn't just me. It was Allan Paris, Shade Swifteye, Keylay, & Tenryuga. I owe a lot of it to them because actually Allan & Shade both helped me on my way through with her as a player. They're the ones who have done a big part of it. You guys are giving too much credit.

bingsoo

Wow, thanks for this, JD. Even though I don't main her, I do try to put in time to study her as an opponent and this breakdown is amazing work. Thanks for the effort you put in.

SchwarzPhy

Some additions

H+K > 66P > 9K > KK7K > 6P+K > PP6P6KK works on mids

and after CB 9K > PKK7K > 6P+K > KK does one more damage than the same 236P setup but doesn't work on heavyweights.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Some additions

H+K > 66P > 9K > KK7K > 6P+K > PP6P6KK works on mids

and after CB 9K > PKK7K > 6P+K > KK does one more damage than the same 236P setup but doesn't work on heavyweights.
Nice work.. I'll update the thread & credit you for it

EDIT: I actually knew about the 1st one but forgot to put it.. Guess I was getting confused with H+K > 66P > 4H+K's setup which isn't guaranteed. But thanks for bringing it up.

Allan Paris

There are a couple things that are off in the OP. I will come back later tonight and correct them. Overall, though, good shit man. I am too lazy and my morale is low at the moment and I would've never got around to putting all of this stuff together. I was suppose to been had a blog up for her........

Keep it up and make sure ya'll hold this bitch down in 5U!

Allan Paris

4H+K (guaranteed)
3PP and 6KK, live by them. Both hits are guaranteed. 3PP is natural combo on any hit so as long as you don't delay the 2nd punch you are good. 6KK gives you knock down but it is more damaging than doing 3PP which leads into a guessing game. There is time when to do one or the other and that depends on how you want to play the match and especially who you are playing against.

PP6P6KK, 6P6K, & 9K (these all bounce & works well after pokes/stuns):

6PK2K (Univeral Force tech at +10)

That force tech does not work from all of her launchers. People are not teching like they weren't in 4 so the 2K in that string seems better than what it is. That is a pseudo tech and it is a bad one because when people actually start to tech 2K you will be low thrown because of the long recovery of the move. There are a few setups in which 2K in that string will tech but you're better off going for the damage or finding a different move to tech with.

From 236T, 1T (Crouch Throw), & 46H
When juggling with Kasumi you only need two different juggles. One that gives you your max damage and the other to give you a force tech. If you want to go the extra mile to be pretty and showcase a plethora of juggles, go ahead, but it may be the reason you lose.
When you throw on NH going for a force tech is what you want. If the match can be determined from a juggle then of course go for the max juggle. When you get a CH then go with what you feel, max damage or a force tech. Any time you land something on HCH go for max damage every time.

Force Techs & Guard breaks

Kasumi has techs that puts her at +9, allowing her to loop an air juggle from 236T, using an H+K juggle setup, or use a tracking P+KP or any other tracking to make sure that they don't sidestep you. She also has a +10 force tech that also allows for a track P+KP & others along with 8T-T once the opponent leaves the ground. 9PK is a guard break that gives her a slight frame advantage along with using P+K, 6P+KT, or 6P+KK or 6P+KP while 66PP is also a guard break that has the same thing except for 66PP > 6P+KP puts them into a sitdown stun, allow a 9K ground bounce juggle. 66PP seems like a better guard break because you're not taking a bigger risk with it as you are with 9PK guard break.

Kasumi is not Helena, force teching with her every chance you get will get you no where. 9KP does not give slight frame advantage, P+K after 9KP is what gives her +1 and it's her only move that does that from 9KP. Transitioning into her Hoshinpo options from 9KP is unsafe as hell. 9KP is a sit-down stun itself, and it guarantees 6P+KK as a launch. 6PP is the better guard break but both can be avoided by a crush move, and 9KP with a crush or a SS.

As of now, Kasumi doesn't have a legit move that is unholdable.
H+K is legit. If I am misunderstanding what you are saying here let me know.

Setups
Quick note: Kasumi is a character that doesn't need a critical burst to win, but it certain comes in handy! However, no guaranteed CB setups were found as of yet.
She has 1 and she's always had it. Try to find it. If you can't, I will have it in the video.

Breakable wall & objects
I'll show you the juggles for light-heavies in the video. I don't feel like typing it.

Kasumi has a reason why you should play safe with the 7i 6T. It's arguably one of her best throw punishes that she has because it's a very fast one. She also has her 5i 5T, but it's throw escapable. The best low throw of the lows is 1T due to the free juggle that you get.
Your first three sentences are not making sense to me. That applies to all of the characters with the exception for grapplers. Her having a 7i throw is not the reason you should be playing safe with her. Her being the un-safest character in the game is the reason you should be trying to play safe with her, as hard as that is.

66T-T, 3H(parry), 3P+K8 (guaranteed)
6P6K > PKK7K > 6P+K > KK
This can be done on all weights after the bounce from 6P6K.

Also, you will have to be playing an idiot to get behind them with 3P+K8 and then do 6P6K. I know your just making a point that anything that she does gets to her opponents back will guarantee her follow ups. Still that is not completely true. Kasumi needs to be at least at +7 once she gets back there to be guaranteed any follow up.

Allan Paris

There was more than a couple things wrong when I actually sat and read the whole post. It's cool though, I have no problem with educating you guys to the fullest. Since I am on my way out, I will also make you guys a video for her to show something's that you are all behind on.

I forgot my laptop charger and it's not with me so I am going to come back to my post where I quoted you, JD. My laptop is dying on me. The video will be up by this Friday and if not, I'll have it up this weekend for damn sure. I am going to really try and get it up this Friday though. I need to sell it so I can get another game day 1 (The Last Of Us), lol.

ErickBello

I usually don't post much over here, and I'm mainly lurking the forums but I read the breakdown completely and it's a Great Job, very informative and cool.

Allan Paris

I put in the corrections., if there are any questions or disputes please shoot away.

The video I will put up will not show much, just a little bit. With the new version of the game coming there's no need for me to go all out.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
3PP and 6KK, live by them. Both hits are guaranteed. 3PP is natural combo on any hit so as long as you don't delay the 2nd punch you are good. 6KK gives you knock down but it is more damaging than doing 3PP which leads into a guessing game. There is time when to do one or the other and that depends on how you want to play the match and especially who you are playing against.

That force tech does not work from all of her launchers. People are not teching like they weren't in 4 so the 2K in that string seems better than what it is. That is a pseudo tech and it is a bad one because when people actually start to tech 2K you will be low thrown because of the long recovery of the move. There are a few setups in which 2K in that string will tech but you're better off going for the damage or finding a different move to tech with.

When juggling with Kasumi you only need two different juggles. One that gives you your max damage and the other to give you a force tech. If you want to go the extra mile to be pretty and showcase a plethora of juggles, go ahead, but it may be the reason you lose.
When you throw on NH going for a force tech is what you want. If the match can be determined from a juggle then of course go for the max juggle. When you get a CH then go with what you feel, max damage or a force tech. Any time you land something on HCH go for max damage every time.

Kasumi is not Helena, force teching with her every chance you get will get you no where. 9KP does not give slight frame advantage, P+K after 9KP is what gives her +1 and it's her only move that does that from 9KP. Transitioning into her Hoshinpo options from 9KP is unsafe as hell. 9KP is a sit-down stun itself, and it guarantees 6P+KK as a launch. 6PP is the better guard break but both can be avoided by a crush move, and 9KP with a crush or a SS.

H+K is legit. If I am misunderstanding what you are saying here let me know.

She has 1 and she's always had it. Try to find it. If you can't, I will have it in the video.

I'll show you the juggles for light-heavies in the video. I don't feel like typing it.

Your first three sentences are not making sense to me. That applies to all of the characters with the exception for grapplers. Her having a 7i throw is not the reason you should be playing safe with her. Her being the un-safest character in the game is the reason you should be trying to play safe with her, as hard as that is.

This can be done on all weights after the bounce from 6P6K.

Also, you will have to be playing an idiot to get behind them with 3P+K8 and then do 6P6K. I know your just making a point that anything that she does gets to her opponents back will guarantee her follow ups. Still that is not completely true. Kasumi needs to be at least at +7 once she gets back there to be guaranteed any follow up.

H+K: I was referring to all of her moves as a wall slam on the wall. I put that line under that certain section because we tried to find one & didn't, but it's prolly my fault for not being a little bit more clearer.

Guaranteed CB: I'll go to the lab sometime today or if not today, sometime this week. Been busy with personal issues atm

The 7i Throw paragraph: Whoops.. I meant to put a "respectable throw punish". Mind was somewhere else lol

I'll correct the OP. Thanks.

Allan Paris

This isn't the place for this video but I'll leave here it for now. Build from it, hopefully she doesn't change drastically in the new version of DOA5. If she does change greatly have fun with this stuff now. I feel bad that I didn't play her as much as I should have in tournaments.... Oh well.

Also keep in mind that when I gave any advice or answered any question on her I am coming from a competitive standpoint. You can do whatever it is that you like with her. Be as flashy as you want. Though if you are looking to be successful in the competitive community with playing her. You will need to tighten up your game. Kasumi is ridiculously good but there's a reason why you only know or have heard of at least 2 people that can do work with her in high level play offline... food for thought.

I am going to miss her.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
It's gonna suck not seeing you play this anymore, actually killing me, but hey we can't stop you if you don't want to lmao! You'll still be my Detroit brother, man. Real Talk! But thanks man.

Yoosee

some additions
H+K > 66P > 6P6K > PKK7K > 6P+K > KK (till medium wegiht)
After 4H+K at crtical level 3, you can lunch using 66KK
for example : 6P(Counter) > 3P > 4H+K (level3)>66KK > PP7K > P+K (+10 force tech for light, medium class)
66KK give +23 so i think CB guarantee
and after CB, freestep to left or right and 4H+K.
then 4H+K launch them slight higher then 236P
so you can KK7K > 6P+K > PP6P6KK to medim wegiht..
and 33P>2P>7K>P+K (+10 force tech for heavy)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD