DOA5LR The Kunoichi of Destiny - DOA5LR Kasumi Comprehensive Breakdown

Lulu

It also helps that Kasumi possesses mix-ups that are great for poking and that transition from high to low hit levels like these:
:K::2::K:
:P::K::2::K:
:6::P::2::K:
:4::P::2::K:
:P::P::2::K:

Phase 4 on the other hand isn't as mix-up oriented and has few safe high to low transitions:
:P::P::2::K:
:1::K:

Those are the only ones that I really know off the top of my head for Phase 4. In comparison to Kasumi, she just doesn't seem to have a lot of moves that can slip underneath the radar...:(

Well there is 1PP.... I love that one.

Tempest

Kasumi is a rush down character, she's designed with tools that reward her for being right in her opponent's face. She may be unsafe on some moves but she has lots of solid strings with mixups and good free cancel opportunities.

If you try to play Phase hard and fast up close you will get blown up hard by a competent opponent. I've got a write up on this in the works, but essentially you should be taking advantage of your fast mids with long hitboxes to interrupt moves and start stun preferably at mid range. Close up you need to patiently weave 2p, pp and the block button to fish for that throw, 6p counter hit, or use 3k and push out the neutral game again. You do not have the virtue of free canceling most of your strings so you need to be very patient and mindful when using anything unsafe. The only time I've seen Phase get away with going ham offline is when there's a big skill gap or the opponent doesn't know the matchup.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Kasumi's & Phase's 236T do the same thing too lol. Phase just does more damage. 236T, 46H, 1H, 1T all do the same thing. Just no matter what you do, Phase's damage will always be higher.

They both have their advantages & disadvantages. Phase isn't meant to be a mixup character. She's meant to be about baiting & counter poking.

@Kasumilover98, yeah those are some of her mixups

Lulu

So do I! But you have to use it carefully because it's unsafe on block.

I use it for Counter Hits against aggressive opponents, and I only use the first punch...... you'd be surprized just how awesome many strings are if you break them apart.... more importantly they can't punish it unless they know for sure how you are going to use it.... its just like any of her other strings, 66K~K is nice one because if you only do the first kick then they might hesitate to punish it because they don't want to get counter hit by the 2nd Kick..... that hesitation at best will only guarantee a neutral throw punish.... which you can break and get away with Scott Free. ;)
you develope this habbit naturally when you use unsafe characters.... ofcourse you need to have some bad ass Yomi to pull this off.... its very risky trying to condition a specific type of response when you have no guarantees.....

Lulu

Kasumi's & Phase's 236T do the same thing too lol. Phase just does more damage. 236T, 46H, 1H, 1T all do the same thing. Just no matter what you do, Phase's damage will always be higher.

They both have their advantages & disadvantages. Phase isn't meant to be a mixup character. She's meant to be about baiting & counter poking.

@Kasumilover98, yeah those are some of her mixups

I know.... that was my point. If you can read your opponents better and have better execution then would you pick Kasumi over the Clone ?
I certainly wouldn't.... I only use Kasumi because I suck.... I need her to hold my hand alil.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I know.... that was my point. If you can read your opponents better and have better execution then would you pick Kasumi over the Clone ?
I certainly wouldn't.... I only use Kasumi because I suck.... I need her to hold my hand alil.
Yeah, Kasumi is way simpler, and I while I can play both Phase and Kasumi equally well, I feel more comfortable and at home with Kasumi's looser move set. Phase 4 is stronger overall, but I have to play very cautious and careful with her, as one mistake with Phase 4 can really cost you the match, because of how unsafe her moves are in comparison to the beginner friendly Kasumi.

Lulu

Yeah, Kasumi is way simpler, and I while I can play both Phase and Kasumi equally well, I feel more comfortable and at home with Kasumi's looser move set. Phase 4 is stronger overall, but I have to play very cautious and careful with her, as one mistake with Phase 4 can really cost you the match, because of how unsafe her moves are in comparison to the beginner friendly Kasumi.

I think the only opposing character that could actually cost you the entire match over one screw up is another Phase 4.

Chapstick

Just go into their command trainings. Kasumi has 133 listed moves, Phase 4 has 85. I'm not really sure what you meant by "simpler" but Phase has fewer tools to pick from and in general has less to know about her.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Just go into their command trainings. Kasumi has 133 listed moves, Phase 4 has 85. I'm not really sure what you meant by "simpler" but Phase has fewer tools to pick from and in general has less to know about her.
What I mean is that Kasumi is simpler in terms of gameplay: she's rush down oriented and has a wide range of moves and tools that she can use to pressure her opponent. Phase 4 has a smaller move repertoire, but she has to play passive aggressive. She's completely unsafe to just go to the opponent and attack head on, so she has to utilize spacing, proper reading, and using her unsafer moves only when there's an opening. For me, Kasumi's larger set of options make me feel at home. Phase has far less to know, but that also means far less options.:(

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
I think Kasumi's lows are vastly underrated. They're so good for mix ups. Phase definitely has more damage, but ever since Kasumi received teleport strings in DOA5, she's gotten a huge power spike. And better mix ups. I would never say Kasumi has low damage anymore. That said, Phase gets some crazy damage even off of BnB combos. And Phase has some amazing mix ups as well. Mostly all from her teleports.

Lulu

Heres the thing I find strange about Kasumi and Phase 4 When it comes to teleporting. Unlike Hayabusa, Hayate and Alpha, Kasumi and Phase 4 only Teleport on Contact. They need to to hit or be hit before they can vanish..... so for the most part..... its mostly cosmetic.
Although to be fair Alpha doesn't actually go anywhere when she telelports so that sucks for her.... but Hayate and Hayabusa busa can Teleport under their own steam.

I just thought that was interesting, alot of people think Phase 4's Teleports are Cheats because she vanishes constantly and lightning fast.

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
True, but Kasumi and Phase both have dashes and flips to make up for that. Kasumi has advance parry teleports which are nice and not just for show. And compared to pre-DOA5 Kasumi, the teleports add a bunch of mix up and damage. I'll happily take that over spacing tools with teleports honestly.

Lulu

That reminds me.... that dashing stance of hers..... is she Crouching when she does that....
I ask because 3P+K seems like a very good RAW move.... its crazy quick.

Lulu

Yeah that move is definitely a force to be reckoned with.... I think it covers every scenario...... I don't know if the throw tracks....

Soaring Zero

I tried phase 4 because I really liked her design and her style but I still prefer Kasumi. Speedy rushdown has always been kinda my thing. Plus I was struggling to learn the timing on phase 4's teleports. I disagree with Kasumi being simpler though. She has many more options than Phase 4 who is forced to play a very space/counter or whiff punishing style in order to succeed due to lacking the mixup options that Kasumi has. Kasumi is ultimately more versatile and slightly better overall imo save for damage. Phase hits like a truck.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD