The Nier: Automata Thread

David Gregg

Surprised there is no dedicated thread for this game yet especially with all of @Tyaren 's awesome gifs and pics. The upcoming game will be released on PS4 on 2/23 in Japan, 3/7 in NA, and 3/10 in EU. There will be a PC release but no word yet on a date. Game has been developed by Platinum games (the company responsible for great games like Bayonetta) and directed by Tara Yoko, director of the original Nier as well as the Dragengard series of which Nier was a spinoff of.

The premise:
Set in an unknown time after the events of Nier, the story revolves around a war between the remnants of humanity and the machine army of invaders from another world. The initial invasion forced humanity to flee to the Moon. Humanity eventually sends down combat androids dubbed "YoRHa" to fight the invaders in a proxy war. While denied emotions and lacking true names, they have particular attitudes that distinguish them from their fellows. The YoRHa are commanded from the Bunker, a reconnaissance base in orbit above Earth, and establish a self-sufficient Resistance on Earth to drive back the Machines

The Yorha androids you play as include 2B (the main protagonist) as well as 9S and A2 (they will also be playable however are supporting roles)

9S (left) and 2B (right)
NieR-Site-Screens_04-21-16.jpg

A2
image_nier_automata-31627-3291_0002.jpg

Those who have played previous Platinum games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will find Nier Automata's combat very familiar with its fast-paced hack n' slash combat. Some differences with this game however include the change in perspectives at certain points (including overhead view as well as side scrolling), a "bullet hell" aspect with your character being equipped with a gun to match the fury of projectiles and per developers this game will be heavy in the RPG department like the original Nier.

Some vids:

There is currently a demo out for the PS4 version. I highly recommend trying this game out even if you're not a fan of hack n slash. Combat is incredibly smooth and flashy.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Surprised there is no dedicated thread for this game yet especially with all of @Tyaren 's awesome gifs and pics. The upcoming game will be released on PS4 on 2/23 in Japan, 3/7 in NA, and 3/10 in EU. There will be a PC release but no word yet on a date. Game has been developed by Platinum games (the company responsible for great games like Bayonetta) and directed by Tara Yoko, director of the original Nier as well as the Dragengard series of which Nier was a spinoff of.

The premise:
Set in an unknown time after the events of Nier, the story revolves around a war between the remnants of humanity and the machine army of invaders from another world. The initial invasion forced humanity to flee to the Moon. Humanity eventually sends down combat androids dubbed "YoRHa" to fight the invaders in a proxy war. While denied emotions and lacking true names, they have particular attitudes that distinguish them from their fellows. The YoRHa are commanded from the Bunker, a reconnaissance base in orbit above Earth, and establish a self-sufficient Resistance on Earth to drive back the Machines

The Yorha androids you play as include 2B (the main protagonist) as well as 9S and A2 (they will also be playable however are supporting roles)

9S (left) and 2B (right)
NieR-Site-Screens_04-21-16.jpg

A2
latest

Those who have played previous Platinum games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will find Nier Automata's combat very familiar with its fast-paced hack n' slash combat. Some differences with this game however include the change in perspectives at certain points (including overhead view as well as side scrolling), a "bullet hell" aspect with your character being equipped with a gun to match the fury of projectiles and per developers this game will be heavy in the RPG department like the original Nier.

Some vids:

There is currently a demo out for the PS4 version. I highly recommend trying this game out even if you're not a fan of hack n slash. Combat is incredibly smooth and flashy.
Wowza, I have the characters as my avatar! The game looks great, might get it just so I can check out 2B☆

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Wasn't there this rule, that if you have to censor the trimmed avatar image, it's not allowed? ;)
:-o ....I forgot about that...Brute hasn't said anything yet so maybe it's fine, I'll change it if soon likely since I change alot these days. XD I still can't believe the girl's name is 2B and the guy is 95, futuristic but strange 0_o

David Gregg

I still can't believe the girl's name is 2B and the guy is 9S, futuristic but strange 0_o

The reason for their simple names is because they are androids and those are their model types. If you play the demo however you realize they act more human than you'd think. Very interesting.

A stream was released yesterday with some interesting new info:

So there are different chips you can equip your android heroes with and one in particular is the equivalent of "witch time" in Bayonetta where time slows down after you've successfully dodged an attack. Really cool to see and with the different types of chips you will definitely be able to mix up gameplay.

MeadowSpirit

Just completed the demo yesterday. Really cool! The animation is beautiful and the combat is fluid, kind of like DMC. This game went from 'Never heard of it' to 'Most anticipated games of 2017' list.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Just completed the demo yesterday. Really cool! The animation is beautiful and the combat is fluid, kind of like DMC. This game went from 'Never heard of it' to 'Most anticipated games of 2017' list.
It's based on Bayonetta & Metal Gear Rising's gameplay so it does feature Platinum's signature style. Heavily looking forward to it in March! If you have a PS3, check out the first NieR too.

VAND1TA

Standard Donor
Platinum´s combat is truly similar in all there games, its the art of fighting without getting damaged.
Metal gear Rising had the Parry, Bayonetta has WitchTime, and NieR has teleport dodge, all for the sake of beating the game without getting damaged, those trophy's though. -_-

UpSideDownGRUNT

So, an LPer I watch just released this.

If you want to watch a video that goes through the mechanics and shows off some neat stuff or watch someone who actually has a good idea what they're doing this is for you.

Sotherius

I wonder if in the full game we will play as 2b, based on how the demo ended. I hope the design stays at least

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD