The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Tenryuga

The only person I have ever heard say Rig was trash was Rabies. I don't think anyone has actually ever said Rig was trash just undiscovered.

Really though people do seem to jump to conclusions in this game. In vanilla everyone said Alpha was trash because she had no wake up kick. Alpha has always been silly in this game. Once I saw that I decided I would take everything I hear with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed and form my own opinions.

On topic though what is everybody's top 5 looking like? Mine is Gen Fu, Ayane, Christie, Helena and Alpha.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
On topic though what is everybody's top 5 looking like? Mine is Gen Fu, Ayane, Christie, Helena and Alpha.
Well, I'm not saying this is final or anything becuase I'd still have LOTS of studying to do (as most everyone does), but from what I know and have observed, I'd wager: Gen Fu, Sarah, Pai, Helena and Alpha.

AkaShocka

My top 5 would be; Christie, Helena, Sarah, Gen Fu, and Ayane.

Christie: I put her in my top 5 because she can evade many things with her jakheiho. Kokoro and Eliot end any strings with low, mid, high strikes. The high kicks for both of these characters track. So a normal sidestep will get hit by these kicks. But Christie can jak and evade all of these combo enders. Also, (I don't know the inputs) Genfu's string that starts with the mid kick to the mid punch and high punch GB. The high GB tracks so sidestepping is risky. Yet again, since the jak puts her in crouching status she can evade it.
Also, the jak evades all of:
Kasumi's hoshninpo stance (even the throw)
Kokoro's Heichu stance (even the throw)
Lisa's carpoeria stance (even the throw)

Helena: I think Helena is very good just due the fact the bokuho and the bokuho duck can literally evade entire strings. Aside from that, she is very mix up heavy.

Ayane: Well I honestly think Ayane is in the top 3 or 5 characters in the game. She has many moves that can high crush and she is fantastic at spacing. She has good holds and throws also. Ayane has pretty much everything. She has great throws, holds, spacing, mind games, and mix ups. She is very unsafe but when used correctly she seems safe. Ayane is a very solid character.

Gen fu and Sarah: I am still figuring things out with these two. I'll try to explain this when I have everything down.

Crext

Standard Donor
Well, some of you seem to be getting around an opinion on the matter regarding DoA5U.

Why not share some of that insight here: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-unofficial-tier-list-with-discussion-thread.3817/

alternatively here http://www.doaworld.com/forums/inde...tier-list-with-discussion-thread/#entry190949
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-unofficial-tier-list-with-discussion-thread.3817/
and maybe we'll be able to complete a full refreshed match-up table if everyone ships in. :) (Most of it is outdated and old DoA5 data.)

Jaguar360

Really though people do seem to jump to conclusions in this game. In vanilla everyone said Alpha was trash because she had no wake up kick. Alpha has always been silly in this game. Once I saw that I decided I would take everything I hear with a grain of salt until I see it confirmed and form my own opinions.
You're the first person I've seen say this. I was always shocked that everyone believed Alpha was crap in DOA5 1.00-1.02 and in DOAD when she had probably the best offensive tools in the game ever since she became playable (coming from someone who plays her and the other characters extensively in the DOAD). Ever since B.U.R.S.T. got buffed everyone started to realize every great thing about her that she had before patch 1.03 even when most of these other tools were nerfed in some way (and B.U.R.S.T. did more damage in Dimensions with the lower health bar anyway).

On topic, the Ryu matches that I had posted some months back probably didn't deserve to be in this thread since I probably have less experience than most of the people of this forum and definitely the least out of the Ryu players. I just wanted to start some discussion because no-one else was posting any Ryu matchups.

I still haven't gotten 5 Ultimate yet so I can't say anything regarding current matchups.

Zeo

This topic should be scrapped in it's entirety and completely recreated considering Last Round. All the characters aren't even on this list.

NightAntilli

My Top 7 would be (in random order, I couldn't make it a top 5 lol):

Christie, Gen Fu, Alpha, Ayane, Helena, Pai and Sarah.

Christie's stance is very good, she has good lows that stun, stand-alone circular moves at all heights, speed...
Gen Fu, well, Parry + speed + major evasion + sitdown stuns + unholdable launcher = win
Alpha, fast long strings + godly grabs + OH + range + speed + parry = win
Ayane has the best spacing tools in the game, and she has the tools to deceive and frame trap better than a lot of other character. Is not easily sidestepped due to the huge list of circular moves.
Helena: bokuho + lots of mixups + pressure = win
Pai is really underestimated because almost no one uses her. But she has great sitdown stuns, lots of unholdable setups, godly grabs, good at all ranges, is super fast...
Sarah simply has so many options that she can overrun anyone. She's pretty much Helena on steroids, minus the bokuho.

Zeo

I doubt most matchups will change that much.
The problem is that this topic is bloated and no information is readily available. The list here is incomplete and in shambles. And even if new relevant info is added, what are we going to do, bullet point the pages with the useful info? "Ayane MU info on Page 96"

Yeah, no. Scrap the topic and make a new one. Everyone is starting fresh in LR, we should here too.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
My Top 7 would be (in random order, I couldn't make it a top 5 lol):

Christie, Gen Fu, Alpha, Ayane, Helena, Pai and Sarah.

Christie's stance is very good, she has good lows that stun, stand-alone circular moves at all heights, speed...
Gen Fu, well, Parry + speed + major evasion + sitdown stuns + unholdable launcher = win
Alpha, fast long strings + godly grabs + OH + range + speed + parry = win
Ayane has the best spacing tools in the game, and she has the tools to deceive and frame trap better than a lot of other character. Is not easily sidestepped due to the huge list of circular moves.
Helena: bokuho + lots of mixups + pressure = win
Pai is really underestimated because almost no one uses her. But she has great sitdown stuns, lots of unholdable setups, godly grabs, good at all ranges, is super fast...
Sarah simply has so many options that she can overrun anyone. She's pretty much Helena on steroids, minus the bokuho.

Ayane also has great unholdable set ups that go into frame traps or strong stun/oki set up on hit. I just haven't bothered listing them, lol.

More experience in the Nyotengu match up also told me the match up is pretty good for Ayane. Hardly anyone on the roster is able to take good advantage of Nyo's shorter hurtbox as she can. P > BT6K is an instant +1 on her, +2 more than often.

Regick

One of Ayane's best moves you can use in unholdable setups is her 66KK4, but the second kick can still be holded. So, watch out.
I think I should share some unholdables I found with her sometimes. I found many, and I've seen most of them do work on LR too.

By the way that's true guys, Ayane is a solid character with very good tools, but there are many good characters is this game with good unholdables/setups/ground game/spacing tools too.

At close range: Ayane isn't the safest character and she is not the fastest too. Her pressure/mix-ups/throw game at close range isn't the best in the game too, even if it's still very solid (her oki game is damn good though). Now, considering that covering the distance in this game is not that hard (especially in some stages), you get that she is not uber tier like most of you maybe think.
I could have the best KBD in the world (I probably do, lol) and the best movement, but if you run at me you cover the distance. Now if your opponent has a very good movement/spacing and is good at reading and baiting, you will get that whiff punishing on reaction isn't always the easiest thing to do.
Here you get an idea of what I mean when I say "covering the distance":

Obviously Master knows how to "run at you" with gumption. But we are supposed to play good players, not bad players.
By reading all of these things though, you could assume that I have troubles whiff punishing and spacing out good players. Well... I don't, heh.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Massive ego inflation.

lol.

Running up to someone doesn't defeat the purpose of spacing, this is not what spacing and neutral control is about. Simply moving away isn't spacing. You just so happening to choose the worst tournament set of me does not prove a point, nor does it validate anything.

At close range: Ayane isn't the safest character and she is not the fastest too. Her pressure/mix-ups/throw game at close range isn't the best in the game too

This is untrue, because you're not going to be finishing strings or even utilizing her strings so often during the neutral. You are playing her incorrectly if you do. Ayane's mix up influences stance transition, threshold frame trapping, 50/50 must-holds (and she has a lot of them) and utilizing 6K/6K2K (frustration tool), 66K string, 3H+K, PK/BT H+K, 6P3, P+KP/BTP+KP, BT3K, etc.

Her jab is -1 on block, and is an auto mix up by itself, on block. Jab is also +3 on a counter hit, and that immensely increases her options while in back turned stance.

Ayane's neutral strike speed is perfect "for her", considering her 6P alone is a high crush towards jabs. Jab and 2P cover the neutral against mid and low strike speed from the cast, as well as 5K doing the same thing against mid strike and differing tools from various characters (specific punch parries, sabakis, i12 mids). With so many high crushes she can utilize on read. Ayane also doesn't have any issues fighting faster strike speed, she does not have issues during the CQC (close quarters combat) neutral.

Every time I see someone trying to say this character is just average or whatever, it's the exact same thing. People basing things from their online play experience. And I end up having to repeat myself over and over again because no one really understands this character at all. There hasn't been a single Ayane player since Xdest and I that has any real understanding of this character's play design.

Kept in a quote;

"Ayane is all about frustration and forcing the opponent to play by her terms. If you actually understand what her moves consist of, that is pretty easy to do. The reason why I always tell people that the Critical Burst heavy flowchart style doesn't suit the character because it ignores the character's strengths. And her Critical Burst damage isn't really devastating. You want Critical Burst damage? Play Mila, problem solved.

This character's damage potential and strengths do not come from that kind of play. The damage comes from all of the crazy stun launch mix ups she inspires, the heavy 50/50 mix ups, her throws and especially the 64T throw. And her 6K2K pressure. It comes from utilizing what's around you (eg. the stage environment). Things like 4P~K and drill kick were buffed in knock back range for that very reason. That is also the very reason why any match up she is playing on smaller stages have become so dangerous "against" her. If she throws you or you guess wrong at least twice on say....the DWA wrestling stage, you die lol.

Yes, Ayane has great spacing, footsie, and range capability, that is part of her play design. She is suppose to make it difficult for you to get in specific strike ranges in order to hit her. The keepout is meant to be that way, but if she's up close then she isn't in any danger either. Her up close neutral is very good, and---tip: her mix up "does not" come from her actual strings during the neutral.

Never does anyone playing me concern themselves with what to block from a string, it's the proper utilization of free cancels. Because you cannot read jab free cancel, it is a guess. Also another reason why her P4P came to life as a string because it's exact purpose is to catch those that even think about pressing a button under the assumption Ayane may or may not do jab > BT throw. Things like jab > BT6K become incredible things on a blocking opponent because jab on block is just a guess against the character. PP is not.

When I hear "spacing character" from people, it's the assumption that the character is only good at doing just that, and if you can't do it, then she's going to lose. That's a basic aspect and one far from what everything else she's able to do. It implies she needs big stages to be effective and that's really inaccurate. The last thing you want is Ayane on a small stage because this character has really strong options near the wall.

Ayane forces you to play the patient game with her, if the Ayane player's defense and patience are really up there, it becomes difficult to break her. You get impatient against her, then you die. If you can make her impatient, then she dies. All there is to it.

This character forces the bare basics out of people, if you can't realize what the basics are with the character you're using against her, then you already lost. It always comes down to patience with and against her."

My quote is barely scratching the surface of an introduction of what this character is.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD