DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Only one number to contribute.

Hayate vs. Marie Rose
6-4 to Hayate.

Superior spacing, longer ranged attacks and a longer approach distance, is a ninja, quick tracking to help with her command SS and has a command SS himself, better strike height mixups.

They both have good SS, yeah MR's is better. Yes MR has OHs and is quicker in general. Hayate is unsafe by comparison but has higher damage output with both his throws and strikes and has a better environmental game. Both have expert holds but MR has a wider variety with more options to choose from then Hayate.

MR has a better stance game outside of stun while Hayate's is more formidable in stun and can be used in juggles.

Gogo MR fans, tell me why I'm wrong with detail.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
With that, current standings:

Free Step Dodge:
S - Gen Fu
A - Christie, Ayane, Sarah, Kasumi, Leifang, Helena, Pai
B - Hayate, Jann Lee, Akira, Jacky, Phase 4, Hayabusa, Momiji, Lisa, Hitomi, Mila, Alpha 152, Bass, Bayman, Rig, Tina, Zack
C - Marie Rose, Ein, Leon, Brad, Rachel, Kokoro
D - Eliot

Event Hubs
S - Ayane
A - Christie, Kasumi, Gen Fu, Sarah, Helena, Leifang, Rig, Hayate
B - Jann Lee, Mila, Momiji, Jacky, Hitomi, Zack, Pai, Hayabusa, Kokoro, Tina, Akira
C - Lisa, Brad, Alpha 152, Rachel, Marie Rose, Leon, Ein, Bayman, Bass
D - Eliot

Kuga

Ayane an S? Dunno. Outside of better ranged battle potential Gen Fu wins in like all other categories. Hes faster, has more dangerous crushes, parries, resets, better throws etc.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
The reason why a lot of people find Event Hubs misleading is because a lot of people can just go in & list their match ups & even troll. However, imho, I actually think Event Hubs is a good site. It does have some things that will help with fighters depending on who's there & what's being used. There also some character strategies & rundowns of them in each game series. Not sure what's in it for DOA though. It's not a site to completely dismiss is all I'm saying. Prime example is that when I made account to SRK & began looking into USFIV & my character (Ryu), I also got pointed out to Eventhubs to look for a little bit more on him as well with a breakdown & what type of character that he is.

Kuga

They have strange vote system from what i see. So their list is more like like result of many personal preferences than a collective discussion and reaching conclusion? So if 20 people suddenly troll and vote well for Eliot he will become B? Thats democracy lol. But even with that system their list looks more or less accurate.

NightAntilli

Is there any reason that Gen Fu is completely alone in the S tier? Why doesn't Christie join him for example? If that has been discussed already, I apologize. In that case, link me to the post or which page it was discussed.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Is there any reason that Gen Fu is completely alone in the S tier? Why doesn't Christie join him for example? If that has been discussed already, I apologize. In that case, link me to the post or which page it was discussed.

Because GenFu is on his own whole level of dumb when it comes to his general gameplay. The stuff he does well, he does stupidly well for minimal risk.

As obnoxious a character that Christie can be, she doesn't completely dominate more than 2/3rds of MU's and does have fairly weak throws from neutral open space making her not as punishing to hold spamming as GenFu. Her wall throws are devastating though. Her holds are also nothing special apart from her Low P Hold. But yeah, I do think GenFu & Christie are the two best characters in the game overall IMHO.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm very happy with Bass' placing in the tier list. Overall, he's still going to struggle, but once the ball is in his court, it's very hard stopping him. As the game ages and his meta game changes slightly, I find that with the exception of those handful of characters in the roster, he can keep going as long as you're patient. His MUs were actually pretty bad in 5, despite having pretty good guaranteed force techs. Giving him the right tools was the solution.

I think just a small few changes could make him better and solidify him as a mid-tier character. Sure, the Sarah MU can always be this game's Hawk-Bison/Hugo-ChunLi/Goro/King matchup, but I trust that he'll either stay in this good spot in the tier list or be slightly elevated.

Tina on the other hand, I feel she could be much better. Her speed is pretty much the only thing I think that sets her apart from her father and still she's pretty unsafe. I feel like if more people incorporate consistent throw punishment into their game, they'd punish her more.

I think I promised to go through the Leon-Hay MU in the past before, so I'll def do that later.

Brute

Standard Donor
@Jyakotu
Enough. When your only reason for "Gen Fu sucks" is "I can beat him" and you won't even fight anyone decent to prove it, I can only assume you're trolling. It's the same routine every time with you in every conversation in every thread.

The next time you pull this "Gen Fu is trash" nonsense without having an inkling of proof to back it up, I'm deleting it. That goes for this thread or any other.

Don't test my patience because I've been far more tolerant with this than I have ever been obligated to be. I'm sick of it and the community is sick of it. This is your final warning.

UncleBiscuits79

Ok, so I REALLY don't want to read through 52 pages of this thread to find it, but are we really sure that Eliot is so bad that he is in the lowest teir by himself? I don't see too many eliots online and I don't play him, but can someone give a quick 1 or 2 sentences explaining why he is in that situation?

It seems like that tier list implies that EVERYONE has an advantage over eliot and that doesn't make alot of sense. Doesn't seem like character balance should be that bad in ANY fighting game. Let me know thoughts.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It seems like that tier list implies that EVERYONE has an advantage over eliot and that doesn't make alot of sense. Doesn't seem like character balance should be that bad in ANY fighting game. Let me know thoughts.

According to the link in the first post, the only match he's not at a disadvantage in is Kokoro and Phase 4.

UncleBiscuits79

Ok, I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. I guess I was looking for reasons for why that was (bad frames, slow attacks, weak throws, etc.).

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
His fastest mid from standing is 14f startup. His 2P is 15f. His juggles are harder than most of the cast's (though they're not really hard), but they don't do real damage. His mid holds (both punch and kick) are terrible. He's super lightweight.

He's a combination of slow, light, and low damage. His sitdown stuns are hella short. The only thing he's good at are throws, but his launch throw doesn't hit ceilings and he doesn't have grappler throw speed. He's got decent gap closers, but since he's so slow, they're barely above average.

Now, he does have a strong reset throw as well as decent stuns on every level (including low). He does also have parries, even though they don't guarantee a launch. He has a 10f jab. He has some decent crushes. Those are what makes him viable. Still, almost every character gives him trouble and he has to make a lot more correct guesses than other characters to win.

EDIT: He also has fairly bad tracking, but it's not that big of a deal 'cause he has tools to deal with sidesteps.

UncleBiscuits79

His fastest mid from standing is 14f startup. His 2P is 15f. His juggles are harder than most of the cast's (though they're not really hard), but they don't do real damage. His mid holds (both punch and kick) are terrible. He's super lightweight.

He's a combination of slow, light, and low damage. His sitdown stuns are hella short. The only thing he's good at are throws, but his launch throw doesn't hit ceilings and he doesn't have grappler throw speed. He's got decent gap closers, but since he's so slow, they're barely above average.

Now, he does have a strong reset throw as well as decent stuns on every level (including low). He does also have parries, even though they don't guarantee a launch. He has a 10f jab. He has some decent crushes. Those are what makes him viable. Still, almost every character gives him trouble and he has to make a lot more correct guesses than other characters to win.

EDIT: He also has fairly bad tracking, but it's not that big of a deal 'cause he has tools to deal with sidesteps.

Hmmm. Ok that actually makes alot of sense (thanks for explaining). It looks like TN needs to step up their game and get some character balance going. It seems so strange that one character is completely outclassed in a fighting game. On the opposite end, I feel like I see the same like 5 characters online that people can 'easily win with', but maybe I am not on enough :)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hmmm. Ok that actually makes alot of sense (thanks for explaining). It looks like TN needs to step up their game and get some character balance going. It seems so strange that one character is completely outclassed in a fighting game. On the opposite end, I feel like I see the same like 5 characters online that people can 'easily win with', but maybe I am not on enough :)

I actually think TN wants GenFu & Eliot to be on opposite ends of the "Tier List" for some twisted reason. I suppose since GenFu is the "Master", he's supposed to get the better version of pretty much all of Eliot's tools.

Feels like a sick joke to me. Makes Eliot matches feel kinda "LOL" offline after you become accustomed to fighting characters such as GenFu, and Akira.

synce

Eliot's not that bad, he just has a great (anti-)marketing team. He can get by just fine with only 2H+K, 214T and free cancelled P/6P strings. Those three tools flow into each other very well and I might even argue he's better than many characters of them. But it's kind of pointless because at the end of the day MU's dont matter too much in DOA - the counter system is a huge wildcard in any MU.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD