The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Kronin

How can you agree with two opposite oppinions ? :eek:

I think that I need to clarify, of course I meant your two different principles and not the direct oppositions to each other thesis. For making a super summary you were talking how what make different a move is its innate property (frames, ranges, etc...), while Destruction was focused more on the different execution behind it. My personal opinion is that both are sides of the same coin and act to make a moveset different from another.
I agree Lulu with your comparison between Jacky and Jann Lee, but at the same time it's also true that what make different the two is also a more hard execution of the VF character in comparison with the DOA one.

Often I read in various online comments the tendency to think that more a character is easy or cheaper to use, more has to be snub who uses it for being someone that like to win easy or not put too much effort in the game. I don't think so, for me a player that use a character more easy is worthy of another that use one harder (and if the game is well balanced, even the rewards should be different according to); however even if this difference is something not good or bad in itself, I like it because indeed adds diversity to the roster (and keep in mind that I'm saying this as a player that is far from being good in the execution and that hardly can perform the most complex ones).

You can use the Ba Ji Quan with both Akira and Kokoro, but if you are using the first one is very likely that you were able to master his (in)famous kneel: not only the ability to do it can work as a sort of self-satisfaction for the player (exactly because it's not something easy to do), but at the same time this alone create a deep gap between a way or another to use the character. Overall because often these moves are not randomly hard but strategical because important "supporting" ones giving the player the possibility to adopt a certain fighting style (often very effective) rather than another: yes, there are some like Hayate's Raijin that are just a cool demonstration of style but that can easily to not be used at all, other as the already mentioned kneel of Akira, Jacky's flash sword kick, Raidou's EGWF or Phase'4 mastering of teleport timing that are fundamental for expanding the moveset's potential of the character.

But like I said I also agree with you that this alone is not enough, then is necessary to bring moves that are visually different and with different properties just like you stated and in my opinion this is something that has to come before the eventual addition of an harder execution.

Of course just my 2 cents, I'm not pretending to be right or wrong in absolute and I'm the first one to admit that my knowledge of the fighting games is basic.

Kronin is an optimist :)

Just when I talk about other people... I'm completely pessimist toward everything concerns me :p

Last edited:

IcKY

It doesn't have to be every move in a match but I must be able to execute every single one.

The more you can do the more options you have.
Im pretty sure you can win a match with just 4 Moves:
Evade
Guard
3P
Throw

There may be hundreds of moves per character but in a real match you wont ever use each technique, you don't need to learn every damn move in command training. A strong player can win with less. But by reading your hardheadedness with Destruction Bomb's great insight and knowledge, you probably are not that great.

SoulTruth2013

Just a reminder about the upcoming event at Cali Crush 2015..

There will be Virtua Fighter 5 Showdown and if you are interested in this event, go to this thread
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/17...15-october-17-2015-ucla-los-angeles-ca.20002/

Let us know if you are coming. They are also considering to put money on the line so that way, even though DOA5LR will have 1000, VF will have some money too. And boobiebombs is currently trying to partner with SEGA to get some prizes to give away.

Show support!!!

Lulu

I played some Virtua Fighter last night.....
Twas fun.

Tried Practicing with the D-Pad...... I sucked so hard that I nearly lost to a completely immobile dummy.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
When Shenmue III sells well, Yu Suzuki will consider Co-Directing the VF series. The game does not have a director either so somebody will take chair for the series. However, they expect it to be arcade release only. But you know how these companies are, they say it will be arcade exclusive and release it via console the year after.

CFW

So I had... no idea about being able to play this online on PSNow how interesting.

Finally another game I can play.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
When Shenmue III sells well, Yu Suzuki will consider Co-Directing the VF series. The game does not have a director either so somebody will take chair for the series. However, they expect it to be arcade release only. But you know how these companies are, they say it will be arcade exclusive and release it via console the year after.
Umm... Daichi Katagiri has been overseeing the VF series since VF3. But Yu Suzuki did mention that he does have a fighting game planned in the future. http://www.seganerds.com/2015/11/22...-on-plans-though-not-with-sega/#disqus_thread

EDIT: Correction: Yoshihiro Tsuzuku directed VF5, not Katagiri.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

Lulu

Thats weird..... I can do Goh's Basara combo but I can't do Jean's one which is similar.

Oh well who cares..... still a fun game, I don't think I want to learn too much of it though..... the more layers you peel back the more likely you'l find something you don't like.

LoL..... I actually haven't been in a fight yet..... ever since I got I've spend hours upon hours exlusively in Training mode.

NightAntilli

I didn't find anything I didn't like about the game, and I've delved quite deep into it.

It's extremely balanced despite characters being very unique, weight actually matters more than just in juggles, the walls help you rather than ruin your juggles, there are side hits which gives additional offensive options, sidesteps have depth rather than being a fixed duration, the advantage given to high jabs and low jabs being blockable while standing are both simple but amazingly well thought out mechanics.

And most important of all, when fighting, I don't feel I win or lose because of randomness. In DOA I still get that feeling, even in DOA5.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD