The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Sega should put VF5FS on the PC. There's a PS3 emulator floating around and curious if it can run this game. Fiend Busa was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on an emulator not too long ago so curious if it can run this.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Sega should put VF5FS on the PC. There's a PS3 emulator floating around and curious if it can run this game. Fiend Busa was playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma on an emulator not too long ago so curious if it can run this.
It runs 60fps after the shaders cache (you need to play a few matches for all the different effects to process/save to your pc idk the technicality behind it). 4k 60fps if your hardware supports it (i7-6820hk, gtx 1070 here). That's how I took that screenshot.

So, oneida was on Twitter lamenting the old Vanilla stages (can't get Vanilla to boot consistently in the emulator ironically but FS runs great), so me being me, I went "wonder what happens when you try to paste the vanilla stages into FS" and that screenshot is the result. Runs like normal but the graphical glitches are weird. NYC stage loads the best out of all the old stages but still has some fun stuff happening in it. The old green grittier textures load fine except for the top parts of the stage, the fence is MIA, with the fence gone you notice a barrier present in the vanilla stage that's visibly absent in FS). some of the object order has changed and so instead of cars driving by it's a section of bridge. swear to god. it's fucking hilarious. there's a chunk of bridge just driving by instead of a car and I laugh a little every time. i have you show you this shit. most other stages just look like windows 95 crashed. that's the screenshot. that's the joke i was attempting to make. i don't know how well it went over. DO YOU GET IT??

vanilla
DZi8cxEVMAYWpXE.jpg

fs
DZla4x7VMAApJec.jpg:large

haxxors
DZusH1hVAAAFtsy.jpg:large

hey why don't one of you actually competent modders get in here? @WAZAAAAA @usagiZ @mariokart64n @PrincessPeachfan2016 who am I forgetting? i'm just fileswapping, i have no real skill

hnQ2PLq.jpg

I put a bunch of this stuff on twitter, if someone wants to compile it or just follow me whatever @grap3

DZvGUXOUQAErU2R.jpg
DZusOi9U8AA7XNu.jpg
DZvWhrgU0AA8UOF.jpg

DZvWhrsV4AAo5w0.jpg
DZvXPeEV4AUck1H.jpg

uh, i also have VF5R downloaded but that's just two 2GB bin files and I absolutely have no way of cracking those open myself. so I've been playing with vanilla/fs stuff. I'm currently doing one more attempt to unpack, replace, and repack some stage related files and see how it goes but I'm not anticipating too much more progress. the majority of the stage data is in a proprietary bin format packed along with a texture pack.

edit: I can't manage to repack this farc. anyone else?

edit 2: here's an imgur gallery

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
sorry for the double post but the last one's a mess and kind of packed. here's some video. second video shows the kind of playable mixed versions of the NYC stage as I described it.

Hold_Junkie93

giphy.gif

One of the best highlights from the tournament.
Yeah that was sick. This is what makes VF unique. The characters have a lot of awareness/realism in terms of what's around them, and side-turn gameplay is great. You're rewarded for making the correct reads in little and huge ways.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
VF is such a godlike game. There are just small things about it that need fixing to make it even better in the next game. The moves and animations don't need to be changed because imo VF has the best animations out of all of the 3D fighters.
  • Teching should probably be universally done with G and any direction: - Not trying to cater to newer players or anything (maybe I am), but when I play this game it's hella easy to forget that teching is done with all 3 buttons, and not teching in VF is actually horrible.
  • Throw Escapes maybe a 50/50 instead of a 3-way guess: - Back throws will still exist, just make throw escapes a 6T or neutral T setup. Not even the best VF players can escape every throw, but thats the good part about it.
  • Make juggle/launch animations look less floaty: - Nobody can deny the fact VF has some crazy float animations. The bounds and stuns look so sick but once you launch your enemy they look like they're on the moon. SEGA AM2 either needs to make the enemy fall to the ground like 1.25x faster and make launchers have higher launch heights, or change the look of the juggle animations overall including different movements reacting to different attacks being used in a combo, because the enemy barely moves in juggles in VF. Just aesthetic touches that will make things look better, you know.
  • Sidestep Cancelling and Blocking easier in difficulty: - See, I don't have a problem doing this but... having to sidestep cancel with the smallest dash to then hold down G in a miniscule amount of time is scary. Would be cool to cancel sidesteps with a simple G or do the old way regardless after a few frames of the sidestep. Now for cancelling SS into movement, things would move a lot faster if we could just tap 6,4,3 or 1 immediately after the sidestep to dash cancel the sidestep. I think that would be pretty dope if you'd ask me.

Hold_Junkie93

VF is such a godlike game. There are just small things about it that need fixing to make it even better in the next game. The moves and animations don't need to be changed because imo VF has the best animations out of all of the 3D fighters.
  • Teching should probably be universally done with G and any direction: - Not trying to cater to newer players or anything (maybe I am), but when I play this game it's hella easy to forget that teching is done with all 3 buttons, and not teching in VF is actually horrible.
  • Throw Escapes maybe a 50/50 instead of a 3-way guess: - Back throws will still exist, just make throw escapes a 6T or neutral T setup. Not even the best VF players can escape every throw, but thats the good part about it.
  • Make juggle/launch animations look less floaty: - Nobody can deny the fact VF has some crazy float animations. The bounds and stuns look so sick but once you launch your enemy they look like they're on the moon. SEGA AM2 either needs to make the enemy fall to the ground like 1.25x faster and make launchers have higher launch heights, or change the look of the juggle animations overall including different movements reacting to different attacks being used in a combo, because the enemy barely moves in juggles in VF. Just aesthetic touches that will make things look better, you know.
  • Sidestep Cancelling and Blocking easier in difficulty: - See, I don't have a problem doing this but... having to sidestep cancel with the smallest dash to then hold down G in a miniscule amount of time is scary. Would be cool to cancel sidesteps with a simple G or do the old way regardless after a few frames of the sidestep. Now for cancelling SS into movement, things would move a lot faster if we could just tap 6,4,3 or 1 immediately after the sidestep to dash cancel the sidestep. I think that would be pretty dope if you'd ask me.
I don't understand your first issue as teching is as simple as pressing G first to guard then P, you're not throwing a punch because it is being cancelled by guard. 2nd, having 3 options and a lazy TE option is fine, go play VF4 or Vanilla and you'll appreciate not having to do Zangief 360s and no lazy throw escapes. Also, throws are 10f minus Wolfs 9f forward throw, make a read and/react with a launcher is what you should be doing. Teching side throws are easy because it always the side your opponent is on. When getting catch thrown by Goh, you need to Press G like that plus the up and down option, oops Can't forget neutral. Most characters have these 3 options in their throws. Goh is like that because the game is saying stop being so defensive, now take this guess for not taking a guess. The 3rd Shouldn't be an issue, if you evade and are wrong, you deserved to get launched.

Last edited:

Lulu

I don't understand your first issue as teching is as simple as pressing G first to guard then P, you're not throwing a punch because it is being cancelled by guard.

I think he means Quick Teching Knockdowns... my PGK Macro was one of the Shoulder buttons so by the time I remember what else it does its already too late.... obviously this is because I'm a DoA player first so I'm used to Teching Knockdowns only using H.

Hold_Junkie93

I think he means Quick Teching Knockdowns... my PGK Macro was one of the Shoulder buttons so by the time I remember what else it does its already too late.... obviously this is because I'm a DoA player first so I'm used to Teching Knockdowns only using H.
Should have said ground tech, as I've been playing too much Street Fighter recently. Good way to remember is by remembering anything that involves a characters body and not directly their limbs is done with P+K+G like stance cancels. You use to needed to throw break low throws with it but they realized that was already complicated among the mutli throw escape. Forward, Down, Back, Down-back Down-forward. Besides the univeral change to P+G, this stayed relatively the same along with laying down ground throws. The reason for VF having this was because until 4, pounce was a guaranted thing in most combos but if people tried using it wrong, you could roll away from it, just no quick rise.

Last edited:

Lulu

Good way to remember is by remembering anything that involves a characters body and not directly their limbs is done with P+K+G like stance cancels.

Or they could just... you know... allow you to Tech Knockdowns with any button.... not only that, they could also adopt the same teching input as BlazBlue & Skullgirls where you simply hold the button down rather than Timing with the knock down.... I mean people just mash it anyways so they may aswell simplify it.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Or they could just... you know... allow you to Tech Knockdowns with any button.... not only that, they could also adopt the same teching input as BlazBlue & Skullgirls where you simply hold the button down rather than Timing with the knock down.... I mean people just mash it anyways so they may aswell simplify it.

Teching basically becomes second nature in VF5FS especially if you have P+K+G as a macro. Teching doesn't really feel harder than teching in pretty much any other 3D fighter (in SCV you need to time the "G" button press the moment the character's body touches the ground for instance). The only potential downside, is if I play VF a lot, I end up trying to tech roll with P+K+H in DOA5LR haha.

However, if a hypothetical VF6 were to be produced, it would be preferable if you could tech with the G button or something instead of a macro input.

Hold_Junkie93

Teching basically becomes second nature in VF5FS especially if you have P+K+G as a macro. Teching doesn't really feel harder than teching in pretty much any other 3D fighter (in SCV you need to time the "G" button press the moment the character's body touches the ground for instance). The only potential downside, is if I play VF a lot, I end up trying to tech roll with P+K+H in DOA5LR haha.

However, if a hypothetical VF6 were to be produced, it would be preferable if you could tech with the G button or something instead of a macro input.
Yeah, learning to tech giant swing for example is crucial to avoid the bonus damage. My guess is that they want this to stay same not because it is body related but rather it's one of the things that remain a thing of execution (Assuming you're on stick) VF isn't the kinda series to cater to scrubs or typical audiences. It strives on being unique and keeping its personality. Is why I believe they are holding VF6 off because they are at the drawing board still. Also, they refuse to use a public engine like Unreal, they pride themselves with their hardware. These guys are responsible for the way games look today. Visually VF6 should look more stunning than any 3D fg on the market. My guess is to go for a realistic approach this time with Yakuza 6 looking models/graphics. For God's sake, lower the contrast Sega and make Vanessa brown again. EDIT:How can I forget dat ass.

Last edited:

Radiance

IMO, I thought VF5FS was the perfect formula for a 3D fighting game. There's nothing I would change about it. The juggle system is eh. They did the best they could to make the fighting as realistic as possible, but it's still a video game at the end of the day and the combo system was great. From VF5 to FS they did fix those floaty moon jumps, in fact the jumps FS looked and felt very realistic. I remember 5 having a extremely difficult throw break system but if you knew how it worked you could break all throws options. I liked FS throw break system because it was simplified and there was some risk/reward involved suchas setting up throw break/ring outs. Of course depending on positioning you could make a gamble on which throw type your opponent would go for.

dg1995

They should have just added some story mode for it. The main reason it wasn't as successful as other 3D fighting games(Tekken,DOA,Soul Calibur) was because of lack of story mode.(VF anime has proved to me that VF could have a interesting story mode)

I just hope that after Shenmue 3, Yu Sazuki buys the right of VF sequels and make the 6th game.(Or before that ports this game to current gen consoles and PC)

Jadeinchains

So Is there a high chance at all that there could be a VF6? I don't really know much about VF to be honest but It does seem cool.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So Is there a high chance at all that there could be a VF6? I don't really know much about VF to be honest but It does seem cool.

I think you'd like the game (Vanessa particularly or Aoi). Problem is that Sega provides the story content out of pachinko machines (for odd reasons), except the anime but that one is different from VF's lore -somewhat-. Heck, Akira has more story in separate games (Dengeki Bunko, Project X Zone) than his own series that he came from. Many of the reasons why VF doesn't attract much attention is that there isn't much other than it's gameplay and realistic fighting styles. For a competitive portion this is natural however from a casual perspective this is dangerous because there will be a fanbase that only plays the game just to play. You could even customize your characters to how you want it with the in-game items they provide you but that usually doesn't scale much.

For others such as me, these things doesn't really matter to me as I rather play the game for the gameplay but this is one of Sega's potential issues and they could use a graphical upgrade (the game is well over 10 years old) if they are considering a sequel. At this very moment it's extremely outdated despite people still playing it since the most they can do at this point is just support until Sega coughs up. VF at the moment, is on a older-gen console(s) where it's not taking advantage of it's audience such as PS4/Xbox one streaming or overall base content update in a more current-gen adaptation (It's why some people see the VF community continuously asking for a PC port which makes sense. You could enhance the game overall with mods or just downright edit the game to a version where everyone can play it). VF is a game where the combos are not extremely over the top (which to some viewers, if it's not flashy with lots of lights attached it's not cool to look at) so you'd have to look through the game in a different kind of view in more simplistic tones.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I think you'd like the game (Vanessa particularly or Aoi). Problem is that Sega provides the story content out of pachinko machines (for odd reasons), except the anime but that one is different from VF's lore somewhat. Heck, Akira has more story in separate games (Dengeki Bunko, Project X Zone) than his own series that he came from. Many of the reasons why VF doesn't attract much attention is that there isn't much other than it's gameplay and realistic fighting styles. For a competitive portion this is natural, however from a casual perspective this is dangerous because there will be a fanbase that only plays the game just to play and not having much with it. You could even customize your characters to how you want it with the in-game items they provide you but that usually doesn't scale much.

For others such as me, these things doesn't really matter to me as I rather play the game for the gameplay. However this is one of Sega's potential issues and they could use a graphical upgrade (the game is pretty over 10 years old) if they are considering a sequel. At this very moment it's extremely outdated despite people playing it since the most they can do at this point is just support until Sega coughs up. VF at the moment, is on a console(s) where it's not taking advantage of it's audience such as streaming or overall base content update in a more current-gen adaption (It's why some people see the VF community continuously asking for a PC port which makes sense. You could enhance the game overall with mods or just downright edit the game to a version where everyone can play it). VF is a game where the combos are not extremely over the top (which to some viewers, if it's not flashy with lots of lights attached, it's not cool to look at) so you'd have to look through the game in a different kind of view in more simplistic tones.

Yeah I've seen the characters and those two do look really cool, And so the actual game doesn't have a storymode? But they tell the story through pachinko and the anime. I guess I could watch the anime and see the character stories on the wikia would be cool though If in VF6 If it happens If they had a Mortal Kombat 9/Dead or Alive 5 style storymode with chapters etc.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Yeah I've seen the characters and those two do look really cool, And so the actual game doesn't have a storymode? But they tell the story through pachinko and the anime. I guess I could watch the anime and see the character stories on the wikia would be cool though If in VF6 If it happens If they had a Mortal Kombat 9/Dead or Alive 5 style storymode with chapters etc.
Yeah, it doesn't have a story mode. However, the anime and the game's stories are somewhat linked, although you could get it through the manual or online.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

Unfortunately I don't think they really had one in each game except in manuals like Virtual Kazama mentioned, documents/wiki, pachinko, short picture novels etc. sometimes other games that introduce them explain the story for the game series rather than the series itself.

Out of all the 3D fighters VF is probably the most technical and realistic fighter (least now since they had crazy air jumps back in the day), though I do think that Sega should gather a new team planner (if there is a sequel) to explain the game's characters+story and a new marketing strategy for overall base content to keep the game alive for years outside of competitive standpoints.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD