The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Radiance

Is there a reason why support for VF ended after FS? My guess would be sales (but obviously VF5FS would have high sales considering it was just a port and wasn't well known). As far as I'm concerned the series is dead which is a shame because it paved the way for other 3D fighters similar to Street Fighter paving the way for 2D fighters. If Sega poured more resources into it like they did with Sonic and Yakuza it would have done well. Ironically, Sega killed off a lot of their good ip's; Jet Set Radio, VF, Shenmue, and Shinobi (which had a good ost but Ninja Gaiden probably put that game in the grave lol).

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Is there a reason why support for VF ended after FS? My guess would be sales (but obviously VF5FS would have high sales considering it was just a port and wasn't well known). As far as I'm concerned the series is dead which is a shame because it paved the way for other 3D fighters similar to Street Fighter paving the way for 2D fighters. If Sega poured more resources into it like they did with Sonic and Yakuza it would have done well. Ironically, Sega killed off a lot of their good ip's; Jet Set Radio, VF, Shenmue, and Shinobi (which had a good ost but Ninja Gaiden probably put that game in the grave lol).
VF5, in general, has been going on for 11 years now since 2006. Right now, SEGA is reviving a lot of IPs, and hopefully we get an announcement during SEGAFes next week.

Besides, VF is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wouldn't get hopes up. Every announcement is something that ends up being completely different (one was hoping for a new Jet Set Radio and Skies game too). But turns out literally something entirely different.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
One thing I learned is that survey in Japan was based on the SEGA IPs that fans want to see again. Virtua Fighter was #5 on the list. Also, #6 is supposed to be Panzer Dragoon. This was shown during SEGAFes 2018.

30712955_1388911864547300_2375088924386131968_n.jpg

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
In all fairness, out of everything that happened in that list, Shenmue 1&2 got an HD Remaster, Virtual-On has a new game out, and Shining has a new game also coming out.

AM2 team is currently busy with porting Border Break to PS4. But hey... the closest thing we have is VF5FS in Yakuza 6, which comes out tomorrow.

Radiance

One thing I learned is that survey in Japan was based on the SEGA IPs that fans want to see again. Virtua Fighter was #5 on the list. Also, #6 is supposed to be Panzer Dragoon. This was shown during SEGAFes 2018.

30712955_1388911864547300_2375088924386131968_n.jpg

a new Sakura Wars is already in development so technically JSR should be first =.=

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I completely forgot about Skies of Arcadia. That one was a really good JRPG actually. Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure was how I got into the Dreamcast and got me into gaming more often than ever during those times. Jet Set Radio's OST like Jade mentioned was pretty awesome to hear and JSR on the DC was a blast including JSRF for the Xbox.

Not only would I vote for Jet Set Radio, but I'd also vote for Skies of Arcadia and another Panzer Dragoon. VF as well. Shenmue is already coming so that one is finally checked and really good to see back.

synce

Sakura Wars is a great series and not surprising that it won a popularity contest given it's a Japanese poll. It has cute anime girls, giant mechs, and an interesting setting. What's not to like?

That said, Sega is being pretty stupid about not reviving VF during what's possibly the biggest FGC boom ever.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD