The Witcher Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I beat everything like a month ago lol including the DLC, and I played the DLCs seperate as new games so... nothing happened.

And I didn't ask Triss to stay, and I never met with Yen before leaving Skillege.

I just focused on main quests

Kind of a waste... Why did you actually do that? XD

Chapstick

I don't get your problem. :(
That an edition that adds nothing new shouldn't be the GOTG. The original version should still be the GOTG.

I'll admit I'm being difficult on purpose tho because of the DA:I thing lol
Yes, they were mentioned in the patch, but I remember being suprised when people claimed afterwards that the exploits are still in. I'm going to look it up now... ;)
Let me know what you find then because I still haven't downloaded the last patch.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That an edition that adds nothing new shouldn't be the GOTG. The original version should still be the GOTG.

I'll admit I'm being difficult on purpose tho because of the DA:I thing lol

You know that I am always so sad when I enjoy The Witcher 3 knowing that you just can't. :(

when-my-spouse-is-sad-and-no-words-are-needed--5186.gif

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Interesting, I'm starting to think the users here are giving The Witcher 3 a little bit too much credit than actually intended. As with every other game including AAA titled games, it comes with flaws. While I do agree that Witcher 3 is one of the top 10 games of the year (definitely a great graphical game with GOY barrier rewards and one of the most positive reviewed games out there because it gets to the point and also one of the most beautiful graphically displayed game out there) but when you have a mass of individuals swarming up together to further bolster the game, they get a little too excited for it that shouldn't be as exciting as one or two makes it out to be.

Indoctrination is quite easy this time around for one who's experiencing the unknown and attempting the new to convincing others on what's the real glory here, Witcher 3 is a fantastic game but not a game to be deemed as the pedestal of all that is truly righteous. It is not the holy grail of gaming. In short, definitely a great game but best game ever? .................Lol.

Now I'd hate to be that guy who has to pinpoint each particular portion on it's flaws because it's crushing the people's hopes and dreams, but come now...we can't be that gullible and naïve here for this game can we now?

Chapstick

Interesting, I'm starting to think the users here are giving The Witcher 3 a little bit too much credit than actually intended. As with every other game including AAA titled games, it comes with flaws. While I do agree that Witcher 3 is one of the top 10 games of the year (definitely a great graphical game with GOY barrier rewards and one of the most positive reviewed games out there because it gets to the point and also one of the most beautiful graphically displayed game out there) but when you have a mass of individuals swarming up together to further bolster the game, they get a little too excited for it that shouldn't be as exciting as one or two makes it out to be.

Indoctrination is quite easy this time around for one who's experiencing the unknown and attempting the new to convincing others on what's the real glory here, Witcher 3 is a fantastic game but not a game to be deemed as the pedestal of all that is truly righteous. It is not the holy grail of gaming. In short, definitely a great game but best game ever? .................Lol.

Now I'd hate to be that guy who has to pinpoint each particular portion on it's flaws because it's crushing the people's hopes and dreams, but come now...we can't be that gullible and naïve here for this game can we now?
It seems like Tyaren is the only one here really praising it that much. I personally couldn't get into it. He told me a lot of people said they couldn't play DA:I after playing TW3 but I'm the opposite. When I played TW3 I found myself wishing it were more like DA:I and being unable to enjoy it. :/

Jadeinchains

I got the game from a recommendation from Tyaren and ended up liking it though I enjoyed it more once I was a little bit into and had access to the world. The characters world and lore were really interesting as well.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It seems like Tyaren is the only one here really praising it that much. I personally couldn't get into it. He told me a lot of people said they couldn't play DA:I after playing TW3 but I'm the opposite. When I played TW3 I found myself wishing it were more like DA:I and being unable to enjoy it. :/

It is a bit difficult to compare the two since one follows a different procedure with the RPG format. One game allows you to create a brand new character and choosing different dialogues of heroic positive conversations or renegade options, added party members etc. while the other is a standalone character with the adventure given to you and it's own personal combat system in play.

From between the two, Witcher 3's adventure is largely temporary in enjoyment from particular crowds but yet the adventure is pretty grand. DA:I has that replay value where you can go back and completely change your adventure with the characters while still following the initial plot without the need of a NG+. DA:I simply has that factor to play it again with a new character as if you've never played it before and still enjoy it at the end. You can definitely do the same with Witcher but it has these obstacles in play that are more demanding than it has to be because the combat system gets repetitive along with grinding killing the mood a bit to enjoy the deeper parts of the story.

Basically there is always something new with DA:I which is what I really like about the game and I have respect for it. Witcher 3 has a bit of that as well but it's getting the consistency to properly engage, but yet the game itself is pretty enjoyable to bypass this...it's just more rigid with engaging.

Last edited:

Chapstick

It is a bit difficult to compare the two since one follows a different procedure with the RPG format. One game allows you to create a brand new character and choosing different dialogues of heroic positive conversations or renegade options, added party members etc. while the other is a standalone character with the adventure given to you and it's own personal combat system in play.

From between the two, Witcher 3's adventure is largely temporary in enjoyment from particular crowds but yet the adventure is pretty grand. DA:I has that replay value where you can go back and completely change your adventure with the characters while still following the initial plot without the need of a NG+. DA:I simply has that factor to play it again with a new character as if you've never played it before and still enjoy it at the end. You can definitely do the same with Witcher but it has these obstacles in play that are more demanding than it has to be because the combat system gets repetitive along with grinding killing the mood a bit to enjoy the deeper parts of the story.

Basically there is always something new with DA:I which is what I really like about the game and I have respect for it. Witcher 3 has a bit of that as well but it's getting the consistency to properly engage, but yet the game itself is pretty enjoyable to bypass this...it's just more rigid with engaging.
Party members + banter and more romance options than two generic-looking "fantasy babe" types (sorry bout it) are things I sorely miss. The giant open world in TW3 also gets a bit overwhelming to me. DA:I has enormous maps but areas being separated from each other makes it more manageable for me to search every nook and cranny for things. I can get kind of obsessive when it comes to that lol

DA:I did add a somewhat NG+ feature with the golden nug statue btw. You still have to gather materials to make crappy iron ore/druffalo hide/fennec fur versions of the endgame armor and weapons but you can get all schematics you've collected as soon as you get to haven in a new game. And being able to start over as a completely new character with a different job and going down a different story path really does add a lot of replayability. I have like 4 characters and maybe 350-400 hours in DA:I lol

Argentus

I still haven't gotten around to playing this game more lol.

I dunno trying to call it "best RPG ever" sounds like when people call cod or GTA the "best games ever". Doesn't really feel like it deserves that much praise. Its not bad just kind of....standard. felt like a generic fantasy game from what id played so far.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I still haven't gotten around to playing this game more lol.

I dunno trying to call it "best RPG ever" sounds like when people call cod or GTA the "best games ever". Doesn't really feel like it deserves that much praise. Its not bad just kind of....standard. felt like a generic fantasy game from what id played so far.

Has any COD or GTA ever won more than 800 international awards including about 250 "Game of the Year" titles? I don't think so. They are hugely popular by raw sales but are they as critically acclaimed? The Witcher 3 is the de facto most and highest awarded video game to date. Even if one personally isn't that big of a fan, that sort of universal critical acclaim is something worth and can't just be swept aside by saying: "I didn't find it that great." or "They are just all fanboys." or the best knockout argument of all: "Tastes do differ."
Calling it just "one of the best" or "the best RPG" is actually pretty modest and understated considering most critics around the world actually agree that it is "one of the best games ever made" transcending genres.

For me personally The Witcher 3 ranks together with Xenoblade Chronicles and Ocarina of Time among my most favorite games. For this generation it is my most favorite so far. And surprisingly so, because I didn't buy it day one but with half a year delay and I didn't find the beginning hours that engrossing either. I hope Final Fantasy XV might actually dethrone it...but I am afraid FF XV is actually so dark and dramatic that it might ruin some of the fun I have. Funny, as mature and grim as the Witcher 3 is...overall it is still actually pretty lighthearted and has several happy endings...if you don't completely f*** it up. ;)

@Chapstick, I'm afraid the exploits are really patched out. :(

Last edited:

Chapstick

While I don't enjoy it that much I can acknowledge it seems like a great game. I was able to hang a guy for racism against a dwarf (the same dwarf I'll be killing repeatedly to farm money when I finally get back to this game LOL) which was fun and the wedding ring quest with that ghost bride was interesting.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The Witcher is a fantastic game. The issue is that the very few users here are overestimating and exaggerating on the game's essence as if it's the epiphany of gaming, which it isn't. It is often times where opinionated matters somehow mesh into what is true or not true. COD series from IW/Treyarch didn't win those awards but they amass more players and higher potential selling point than Witcher could actually do because the gimmick behind COD series draws the attention in natural business. Personally I think Call of Duty series suck as it's one of the worst series to make cash for easy shit because it's the same exact game rehashed into new gen and applying the same concept over and over again, but yet they gain players and potential higher selling point. Every. Single. Year.

An opinion does not define the resulting factor here just because more than one entity is accepting it as it is. Most reviewers and critics also has the sense of indoctrination because it's their job to so and to this particular case Witcher is no exception. Remember, to "you" it's the best game for this year but it does not define proper legitimacy with it being truly the best game since the game has also flaws even if it was given rewards from indoctrinated deviants. You give a medal to a lieutenant and at the end of the day he's still a human being. The game just happens to click for you as well as for me, but even I'm not that gullible to easily be diminished in thought from the cons on Witcher 3. I platinum'd the shit outta of this game, read the majority of the entire game's bio and missing plot fillings outside the game, understanding each character development with how they progress with the story, and then finally blew the mechanics sky high. Upon digging into the game even more, it is definitely fucking amazing, but not so amazing where you suddenly want to have sex with somebody to make babies with because the game is that awesome. Oh please.

So again, indoctrination is incredibly powerful especially for the oblivious. Calling it the best is merely trying to provide a sophisticated opinion while trying to look sane on the matter. Is it one of the best for the "year?" possibly, "one" of them. Does not automatically define as truly the best one. I think it's a top 10 game and better than most games in my "opinion". As for fact goes...well, Witcher isn't particularly landing there as best.

Last edited:

Argentus

Long story short, solid game, just really over hyped.

Also it getting awards doesn't really mean anything, IMO.

My main thing is...nothing about w3 stands out at all. Like sure the world is big, but there's nothing...special about it. Maybe I just didn't get far enough in the game. But yeah like I said before it just felt like a standard generic mideival fantasy game, nothing special.

So I've wound up not getting back to it because I get other games on ps4 that catch my interest way more. I WANT to give it another go, just been busy

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
My main thing is...nothing about w3 stands out at all. Like sure the world is big, but there's nothing...special about it. Maybe I just didn't get far enough in the game. But yeah like I said before it just felt like a standard generic mideival fantasy game, nothing special.

Argentus I have to admit, but that's a bad way to put it. There are lots of special things about it. If you didn't make far enough in the game then that's likely the reason why. It's a great game just far too exaggerated in terms of absolute best. Top 5-10 game for sure within the year.

Give it another go and you'll change your mind a bit more and more positive on it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Lol, this is really annoying me. XD It's one thing to just not really click with a game (like some others in this forum) but even going into full on "Nah, it's nothing special, standard and generic" sounds just so ignorant and solely for the sake of being a negative nancy...
It is also so annoying because it is coming from you, Argentus. I know a fair share about your very narrow personal preferences of characters, stories and games, not just from years of listening to you in this forum but because you asked me to look over your own stories and characters and you expressed the thought of going into game development yourself. Let me just say, you really shouldn't throw stones. Just...don't.
Also, like a year ago you already claimed to have started the game but you weren't very far yet, now after all this time you are still not very far? I seriously doubt you even really played the game.
The Witcher 3 is not universally for everyone, no game is. What it clearly is not though: A standard and generic game. CD Projekt RED, back then a small, financially troubled Polish game studio worked their asses off to release a game that pushes boundaries and does so much more than the so far standard Western RPG (if anything it set new standards) and Andrezj Sapkowski's story and lore of visciously, twisted fairy tales and for us in the West mostly unknown Slavic folklore is anything but generic medieval fantasy. It is by it's very definition not generic.
Phew...end of the rant. >__<

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Lmao I feel your pain on Argentus himself (No offense Argentus, but the posts you create leaves me in shock). But yeah, will not try to make this thread into one big debate on determining Witcher's value as a whole.

Good day.

Jadeinchains

Yeah getting into how deserving a game is of praise or the title goty is hard since everyone is going to disagree on it in some way. For example I loved the game and think it's world, characters and general game play were great, With that said though it isn't my favorite rpg or game. Regardless of how much I liked it though to me it definitely deserves praise after all the things it did.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD