The Witcher Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Geralt of Rivia showing his dance moves. This is his break time after the end of the DLC expansion he was in, now...he's in the real world ready to serve more than just monsters. Make sure to put a ring into his accessories because he's not playing.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Great article about The Witcher 3's greatest and one of recent video game's greatest villains:

ay8xVq8_700b.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-23-the-making-of-the-witcher-3s-greatest-villain

It's amazing how you are introduced to the Witcher 3's most dangerous foe in the first 20 minutes of the base game, years prior to his story.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Blood and Wine just won best RPG of the year at the Game Awards! :)

Totally deserved in my opinion. Toussaint is the most beautiful, most alive RPG land I ever visited. This combined with the very dark, compelling story and the conclusive, perfect ending for fans makes it my favorite RPG as well. Even if it is "just" an expansion. An expansion with more stuff to see and do than most complete games nowadays.

The qualities of The Witcher 3 really hit me while playing FFXV I have to say. Tabata stated multiple times that they see The Witcher 3 as the epitome of the RPG genre right now and that they were strongly influenced by it. One can easily notice that...but they imo never reach The Witcher 3's brilliance unfortunately, not even that of mere expansions like Blood and Wine.
Just one recent example: I just reached the city Altissia in FFXV, which was hailed as this huge, amazing city with so much too see and do. It is very comparable to Beauclair in Blood and Wine. Both are the big capitals of their respective regions, both are mediterranean inspired, beautiful and elegant, both are towered by a palace and both are situated by the water. Even though Altissia should be able to outshine Beauclair on paper, it actually pales in comparison to it. :( The Witcher city is so much bigger, so much more real and lively and much less restricted.

Argentus

I still haven't tried Witcher again XD. I mean I want to but i'm like...should I just play the base game and buy the dlc after I beat the main game, or go find a game of the year version with all the dlc?

UpSideDownGRUNT

Just get the GOTY Edition, its all in one(no downloads) and is actually cheaper than buying base with the season pass.

Plus, it comes with all the free dlcs on the disc too

Argentus

Just get the GOTY Edition, its all in one(no downloads) and is actually cheaper than buying base with the season pass.

Plus, it comes with all the free dlcs on the disc too
yeah that's what I was thinking. i bought the base game last year but never really got into it so it's just been sitting on my shelf this whole time.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Nope, unfortunately I do not own it D:
Probably I got a good first impression of Altissia because I was there for a really short time, I just passed that section of the game and doing the following chapters right now, though I'll comment on these after I finished the game. I plan on returning to Altissia after I finish the story, so I can actually see where you can actually go, overall I liked the atmosphere though.

I'm going to answer this post in here. ;)
If you like how the world and cities work in FFXV you would probably love the world of The Witcher 3. It's one or two steps above FFXV even. It's even more open, even freer. The Witcher 3 was actually one of their main influences with FFXV but they imo never quite reached it's brilliance.
The Witcher is however a bit gritter and more grown up fantasy, so maybe this isn't quite your style. I wouldn't even say The Witcher 3 is darker, because FFXV has it's very dark parts too.

Here's Beauclair, the capital of the region Toussaint. It is imo very similar to Altissia. It is a beautiful, rich, mediterranean inspired royal capital with a gorgeous palace and it is situated inbetween lakes. Here's a little glimpse of how it looks and feels:

There's an even bigger city in the game, called Novigrad. It's not as beautiful and more gritty...but it's even livelier and exciting:

And something that applies in both cities: Everything you see in the distance you can actually go to.

Last edited:

Chapstick

Wasn't Nikotsumi the person who liked Type-0? I don't think they'll have a problem with TW3's seriousness/darkness

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wasn't Nikotsumi the person who liked Type-0? I don't think they'll have a problem with TW3's seriousness/darkness

Some people just don't enjoy grittier, more serious Western RPGs. I wasn't sure if Nikotsumi is maybe more of a JRPG gamer. ;) Other than that I think you can't do much wrong with the Witcher 3. The main game and it's expansions (which can be bought all on one disc now) are after all ranked among the best in the RPG genre right now. :)

Nikotsumi

I'm going to answer this post in here. ;)
If you like how the world and cities work in FFXV you would probably love the world of The Witcher 3. It's one or two steps above FFXV even. It's even more open, even freer. The Witcher 3 was actually one of their main influences with FFXV but they imo never quite reached it's brilliance.
The Witcher is however a bit gritter and more grown up fantasy, so maybe this isn't quite your style. I wouldn't even say The Witcher 3 is darker, because FFXV has it's very dark parts too.

Here's Beauclair, the capital of the region Toussaint. It is imo very similar to Altissia. It is a beautiful, rich, mediterranean inspired royal capital with a gorgeous palace and it is situated inbetween lakes. Here's a little glimpse of how it looks and feels:

There's an even bigger city in the game, called Novigrad. It's not as beautiful and more gritty...but it's even livelier and exciting:

And something that applies in both cities: Everything you see in the distance you can actually go to.
Wow thanks Tyaren!
I had already seen lots of gamplay videos/screenshots about The Witcher 3, and even visited this thread every now and then. I considered trying it out but as you said serious Western RPGs are not really my type, though I must admit that those cities looks awesome and If I were to play it I would wander around just there for hours. Bauclaire colours really are similar to that dissappo- *caugh Altissia caugh* (in which I'm playing right know....)
I may reconsider playing the Witcher 3

On another note, did I really said I liked Type-0's story? I liked it as a game, but the story has lots of plot holes and it's execution is horrible.
Also, in generaly do not like seriousness/dark stuff but it really depends on the game. Like in Type-0, or even in FFXV, I actually would have preferred a less dark atmosphere (especially for Type-0) but if it think about it that's what makes those game less boring, it actually makes them interesting... I don't know if I explained myself well, it's more or less a like/dislike thing.

Chapstick

If you don't like super serious games may I suggest my lord and savior Dragon Age: Inquisition

I remembered a chocobo dying (as well as a bunch of people) and lots of actual blood in the first few minutes of Type-0 so I thought TW3 wouldn't be a problem

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wow thanks Tyaren!
I had already seen lots of gamplay videos/screenshots about The Witcher 3, and even visited this thread every now and then. I considered trying it out but as you said serious Western RPGs are not really my type, though I must admit that those cities looks awesome and If I were to play it I would wander around just there for hours. Bauclaire colours really are similar to that dissappo- *caugh Altissia caugh* (in which I'm playing right know....)
I may reconsider playing the Witcher 3.

See, that's what I thought. ;) You seem to be more of a JRPG type of gamer. Though The Witcher 3 is actually not as serious as one might think. Geralt, the main character, actually has a great, dark sense of humor. It's nothing like Skyrim for example, where you find hardly any funny scenes. The Witcher 3 definitely has quite a few of them and some side quests are actually hilarious and make fun of RPG tropes and fairy tales. So it is really not as serious as one would suggest.
And you will definitely be able to explore these cities for hours. They are huge and there are so many quest givers. And one thing you can be sure of. None of the quests will be mere fetch quests or monster hunt quests. All Witcher 3 quests have a smaller or bigger story attached to them. Most are really interesting or scary and some, as I mentioned, are really funny.

Argentus

I just realized I have the first two witcher games on steam. I should probably play through those first XD

DontForkWitMe

Blood and Wine just won best RPG of the year at the Game Awards! :)

Totally deserved in my opinion. Toussaint is the most beautiful, most alive RPG land I ever visited. This combined with the very dark, compelling story and the conclusive, perfect ending for fans makes it my favorite RPG as well. Even if it is "just" an expansion. An expansion with more stuff to see and do than most complete games nowadays.

The qualities of The Witcher 3 really hit me while playing FFXV I have to say. Tabata stated multiple times that they see The Witcher 3 as the epitome of the RPG genre right now and that they were strongly influenced by it. One can easily notice that...but they imo never reach The Witcher 3's brilliance unfortunately, not even that of mere expansions like Blood and Wine.
Just one recent example: I just reached the city Altissia in FFXV, which was hailed as this huge, amazing city with so much too see and do. It is very comparable to Beauclair in Blood and Wine. Both are the big capitals of their respective regions, both are mediterranean inspired, beautiful and elegant, both are towered by a palace and both are situated by the water. Even though Altissia should be able to outshine Beauclair on paper, it actually pales in comparison to it. :( The Witcher city is so much bigger, so much more real and lively and much less restricted.

Yup agree completely. playing through FFXV has made me realize the japanese developers simply fail in making a truly immersive open worlds that make exploring actually fun compared to western developers. MGSV, Xenoblade, and FFXV all suffer from open worlds with nothing exciting to explore or really any decent side quests to enhance the experience making their worlds feel like chores and burdens to explore . I pretty much gave up bothering with any of the sidequests in FFXV due to them all being shitty regurgitated fetch quests and am only going to bother doing the hunts as far as side content goes and im only on the 3rd chapter and feel the gameplay already wearing thin for me. Elder scrolls, Witcher 3, Fallout, GTA etc simply offer vastly superior open world gameplay that no japenese developer has yet to match and is one of the main reasons why i prefer WRPGs over JRPGs

HHH816

haven't play the witcher for a long time, something that really turn me off is the lack of companion..if there's someone to hire or team up..the game is perfect.

i hate being ronery

Argentus

Yup agree completely. playing through FFXV has made me realize the japanese developers simply fail in making a truly immersive open worlds that make exploring actually fun compared to western developers. MGSV, Xenoblade, and FFXV all suffer from open worlds with nothing exciting to explore or really any decent side quests to enhance the experience making their worlds feel like chores and burdens to explore . I pretty much gave up bothering with any of the sidequests in FFXV due to them all being shitty regurgitated fetch quests and am only going to bother doing the hunts as far as side content goes and im only on the 3rd chapter and feel the gameplay already wearing thin for me. Elder scrolls, Witcher 3, Fallout, GTA etc simply offer vastly superior open world gameplay that no japenese developer has yet to match and is one of the main reasons why i prefer WRPGs over JRPGs

It even applies to MMOs. I keep going back to western MMOS (Warcraft, DCUO, Champions ONline, etc) because the japanese/korean rpgs are JUST grindfests that lack the immersion and world exploration that the western ones offer.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD