DOA5LR "There's always room for Jell-O" Alpha-152 Breakdown/Guide

Intelligent Alpha

I get the feeling Phase 4 was supposed to be the boss but they couldn't finish her in time..... lol.

Like I said, shit was rushed! Don't see how? (I do, but it's been seven years). Considering the fantastic job they did with Alpha (and all her stupidness - best I could come with XD) ...

Think about it! If she is an actuall boss in 6, some revamping has to happen since everybody's used her and know what she is capable of. If anything, please let the AI version do shit that players can not - only fair since they did Alpha like this - and let it be something significant!

Alpha's neutral teleporting! As irksome as it was, it was brilliant and essential. I see why she had it! And folks swear her neutral game is stupid af! What damn nuetral game, exactly? See?

Last edited:

Kronin

@Kronin - I've never seen you use Alpha unless you're recalling all those times you fought me! It's been ages since you got your lone win!! haha

We fought overall in ranked where I play almost always with Ayane and Ein for obvious reasons being my main. But in lobby I play with much more characters and if you remember we made even Alpha mirror - trolling - matches one time that we met there xD I'm not good with Alpha but she is definitely one of the characters more fun to use for me, so even one that I would like to learn to use sooner or later =)

And yes, I definitely need to get more wins from you! xD

LoL.... if it is.... I don't think its all that elaborate.... I'm basing this off my experience with the story from The only DoA game I've played (5) which I still don't quite understand..... especially that part with Lisa Hamilton and everything to do with Helena.......

She's got Helena's kick ( :K::K::K: ), too! (that plus two extra :K:s) But look Phase 4 is Kasumi clone #2 and she has shit from the other ninjas. Go figure. I guess it's a lore thing. idk

This is not the proper place to discuss about casual stuff so it's better to stop here the off topic. By the way:
  1. Alpha-152 and Phase 4 are far from being Kasumi's clone number 1 and 2. Kasumi was kidnapped at the end of the first tournament and from that moment her DNA become part of Donovan's experiments for creating the perfect warrior, thing that led to the creation of endless clones of her (you could see various unconscious clones of Kasumi in tanks filled with liquid in the DOATEC labs stages of DoA2 and DoA3, the arena where you fight Alpha-152 at the end of DoA4 is full of empty tanks, and even the lab stage of DoA5 shows on the wall numbered cells that are supposed to keep other clones of Kasumi).

2. In addition to Kasumi, Donovan experimented with Raidou (before his death and cyborg resurrection) and with Hayate. Genra - the foster parent of Ayane and master of her ninjutsu - in the original canon was kidnapped and made a powerful puppet warrior for his experiments; in the retcon one Genra seems to be voluntarily one of his allies, however this doesn't change that the Hajinmon style got still a connection with Donovan and consequently with the Kasumi Alpha project. Finally, after DoA1, Helena worked inside DOATEC as the official leader while Donovan brought forward his personal agenda in the shadows, so the girl had direct contacts with him (and for a brief period was also kidnapped from him and forced to partecipate to the third tournament, however this in the previous canon before the retcon). All this for saying that the fact that Alpha seems inherit moves from the other ninja or Helena doesn't appear something strange to me, the people behind the project had the knowledge of them for the implementation.

Last edited:

Kronin

Wow I was wrong..... thats actually pretty elaborate.... :eek:
Those Itagaki days must have been really something.

To be fair - and then I stop here - at the time of Itagaki the plot of DoA was elaborated in the manuals background and in the short canonic characters endings... You can like it or less, but DoA got a much better elaborated and choerent story with the new Team NINJA post Itagaki: with the chronicle mode of DoA Dimensions that retell the story of the first 4 episodes with a lot of dialogues and creation of key scenes, some of them until then just told with text or only supposed (the only fault is to have abandoned almost completely the secondary characters), and just with the story of DoA5 (that yes, has the faults to keep some not logical scenes or to tell overall a transitional story rather than an important part of it... but imo it's a total big step forward in comparison to what you could see for the most in the actual story mode of DoA2/3/4).

Lulu

To be fair - and then I stop here - at the time of Itagaki the plot of DoA was elaborated in the manuals background and in the short canonic characters endings... You can like it or less, but DoA got a much better elaborated and choerent story with the new Team NINJA post Itagaki: with the chronicle mode of DoA Dimensions that retell the story of the first 4 episodes with a lot of dialogues and creation of key scenes, some of them until then just told with text or only supposed (the only fault is to have abandoned almost completely the secondary characters), and just with the story of DoA5 (that yes, has the faults to keep some not logical scenes or to tell overall a transitional story rather than an important part of it... but imo it's a total big step forward in comparison to what you could see for the most in the actual story mode of DoA2/3/4).

LoL... so deceptive..... its the exact samething with Dark Souls..... it all makes sense when you watch the lore videos put together by the community but in the actual game it doesn't hold together as coherently.

Lulu

No special mention for :2::F: ?
Its i3 :eek: ?

Speaking of which..... do any of Alpha's throws or Holds change near a Wall ?

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

No special mention for :2::F: ?
Its i3 :eek: ?

:F: being :T: n a config setup? Since :2: is what's written, I assume this is what you mean? The faster crossup where she gains a shit-ton of space because if it's :1: or :3:, she gains about next to nil. That is three frames, though? Shit! That's faster than the grapplers' i4 neutral throws!

Lulu

:F: being :H+P: n a config setup? Since :2: is what's written, I assume this is what you mean? The faster crossup where she gains a shit-ton of space because if it's :1: or :3:, she gains about next to nil. That is three frames, though? Shit! That's faster than the grapplers' i4 neutral throws!

Yeah, her Down Throw..... I heard that this throw was fast but that was in 5U and I assumed it was a mistake..... turns out I was wrong.

Yo Alpha is just straight up weird.... Shes got the strangest Strings and Throws and Stance..... even Dural isn't this freaky.

Intelligent Alpha

Yeah, her Down Throw..... I heard that this throw was fast but that was in 5U and I assumed it was a mistake..... turns out I was wrong.

Yo Alpha is just straight up weird.... Shes got the strangest Strings and Throws and Stance..... even Dural isn't this freaky.

You'll get used to it! I hear the same thing quite alot!

Lulu

@Intelligent Alpha
So I did some testing and it turns out..... Performing a Low doesn't force you to stand on recovery.

You know what this means: LoL... those guys were complaining about something they could have easily avoided if they just stayed crouching after low holding. :) I think thats funny ! Haha.

Intelligent Alpha

@Intelligent Alpha
So I did some testing and it turns out..... Performing a Low doesn't force you to stand on recovery.

You know what this means: LoL... those guys were complaining about something they could have easily avoided if they just stayed crouching after low holding. :) I think thats funny ! Haha.

IKR! I leep saying if players would sit the fuck down, period! Why sit down, but also open your mouth? But again, folks are told to hold her shit! "Hey, I can do something she can't! Better take it for granted!" aka "Spazzing!" (You can set the AI in training to spaz, too)

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Speaking of which..... do any of Alpha's throws or Holds change near a Wall ?

Well you can get a wall combo from Alpha's parry, and her 8T doesn't really look different, but adds the wall damage at least. The pseudo FLT P afterwards seems to trick my bf from time to time as it's closer to the wall. Certainly not a pro-tip by any means, but it might confuse an opponent that is used to teching it in the open.

If she's sitting against the wall, the hold button will teleport her behind the opponent; though I would be cautious of using this against a top player. Usually they expect the teleport and use a move that will give them the advantage. If you are going against a player that's using Christie or Kasumi... the best mind game is to probably not use the teleport at all.

Alpha is a mind-fuck character, so every trick that you can find is a trick that can be used to keep yourself off the ground. If you can't muster up a mind-game you will be blocked and beaten to a pulp.

I prefer this because she fits my criteria. I don't like difficult Akira combos or Raidou inputs. If you are like me, I recommend Alpha. She's easy to pick up, but tough to master as Bushido said. Her combos and inputs are easy, but putting them to good use? Not easy.

Last edited:

Lulu

Well you can get a wall combo from Alpha's parry, and her 8T doesn't really look different, but adds the wall damage at least. The pseudo FLT P afterwards seems to trick my bf from time to time as it's closer to the wall. Certainly not a pro-tip by any means, but it might confuse an opponent that is used to teching it in the open.

If she's sitting against the wall, the hold button will teleport her behind the opponent; though I would be cautious of using this against a top player. Usually they expect the teleport and use a move that will give them the advantage. If you are going against a player that's using Christie or Kasumi... the best mind game is to probably not use the teleport at all.

Alpha is a mind-fuck character, so every trick that you can find is a trick that can be used to keep yourself off the ground. If you can't muster up a mind-game you will be blocked and beaten to a pulp.

I prefer this because she fits my criteria. I don't like difficult Akira combos or Raidou inputs. If you are like me, I recommend Alpha. She's easy to pick up, but tough to master as Bushido said. Her combos and inputs are easy, but putting them to good use? Not easy.

I thought she teleports automatically when you slump her against the wall with a throw.

Lulu

Does anybody feel like Alpha is abit too Mashy ?

Her strings are just way too long. I find it difficult to keep Track of how many :P:'s and :K:'s I've used.

She's definitely easy to start with but but theres some nice potential in there once you understand her individual moves.

Intelligent Alpha

Does anybody feel like Alpha is abit too Mashy ?

Her strings are just way too long. I find it difficult to keep Track of how many :P:'s and :K:'s I've used.

She's definitely easy to start with but but theres some nice potential in there once you understand her individual moves.

Oh, shit!! Yes, she is, but as you've stated, you lack the ability to utilize control!T This is crucial as DOAN stated that she is a MINDFUCK character - not a controllerfuck one! (Too many believe that being able to CF with her or any character makes you good or high/top tier) Combos are great, but when STRINGS beat them out!

And this is one of her greatest assets! String Manipulation! Her :P: string - as mashy as it is raw - (btw, she's +2 on block, but the FLT animation hampers this, so dive, knee or CANCEL (recommended) quickly)

Folks get pissed at me because I do NOT mash with Alpha! It's funny as hell since she gets the mashy tag, but she probably gets mashed more than the entire roster combined! Ironic, isn't it? (This includes mirrors - "just to prove that point.") Like I know she is mashy, but I put in serious effort not to do that - and I needn't do combos or BURST/RUSH - every two damn frames - to prove this!

There is saying that goes: Power without Control is useless! Even top players use her in an uncontrollable manner because she "has to be used as such!" You know, I don't believe this, and I have a few friends that use her, too (@KING JAIMY being one of them). But even the users agree she is mashy, the challenge is being able to again, NOT mash and play in a controlled manner with her! It'll take time & effort to do so!

I met a friend who's clan I joined later because the head liked what he saw, and my friend noticed that I liked to poke the fuck outta people - "This kid's poking is serious!!" (And wouldn't you think being a Kasumi clone, Alpha would have access to that?) Since I brought her up, don't you think she (and Phase 4) are mashy as well (though mashing Phase's strings may get her in more trouble)? I believe folks with frame data knowledge would agree (and this isn't me hating on them, but I said, Alpha gets mashed more than she actually mashes though she's the easiest to mash with - well, the most popular to mash with)

I can't tell you how often I hear, "You gotta pressure with Alpha!" Yet, on the other hand, while pressuring I hear: "You're Mashing!" I'm certain mashing is not an Alpha exclusive technique -- afterall, this is DOA, but spare the truth about it, right?)

Wehave to play sometime, so you'll see what the fuck I mean!

There was a reason she was given so much offense and ways to manipulate it, but it wasn''t to see how flashy one can get because, well, her combos aren't all that - even the ones you get from critical blast setups! She can CONTROL the game so well without them - I mean, pressure, but with that perception ...

Alpha is or can be used in a least four ways! I mean, what happens when the most popular way stops working whether it be: pressure, spacing, baiting, conditioning, mixups, being neutral heavy or yes MASHING? Players use to tell me I was too defensive with her and I was, but she does need it - and there are more ways to do it than just parrying (holding is useless unless you MASH because you will get mashed when crossing up unless the incoming combo has a long lag recovery time (I don't mean online lag). Yet, since all characters can mash block or an attack to turn on a dime ...

Alpha is about controlling the game! This is why she was a bitch to beat in 4 and why players rush/mash her to death in 5! They don't want to relinguish control. But sadly, they are told even by the players themselves that it's the only way to beat her! It isn't - it's just the EASIEST! Funny, how people complain about her mashy strings now, when all it took was mashing P in 4.

We have been through hell and back multiple times to not know what I am talking about! Whether I am tourney level or not - and I'm not - it doesn't negate how easily she can be beaten! I don't care if she can reciprocate!

Like DOAN said, she can teleport off a wall either in the slump state or when thrown into it. However, mentioned earlier, you have to be wary of her recovery frames and if the opponent mashes because it WILL happen! Most opponents mash P of some kind - Ayane, Alpha, Kasumi, may pull out a low kick. Here, though I haven't tried it, your best bet will be to FLT (and multiple times if needed)

Last edited:

Chapstick

Oh, shit!! Yes, she is, but as you've stated, you lack the ability to utilize control!T This is crucial as DOAN stated that she is a MINDFUCK character - not a controllerfuck one! (Too many believe that being able to CF with her or any character makes you good or high/top tier) Combos are great, but when STRINGS beat them out!

And this is one of her greatest assets! String Manipulation! Her :P: string - as mashy as it is raw - (btw, she's +2 on block, but the FLT animation hampers this, so dive, knee or CANCEL (recommended) quickly)

Folks get pissed at me because I do NOT mash with Alpha! It's funny as hell since she gets the mashy tag, but she probably gets mashed more than the entire roster combined! Ironic, isn't it? (This includes mirrors - "just to prove that point.") Like I know she is mashy, but I put in serious effort not to do that - and I needn't do combos or BURST/RUSH - every two damn frames - to prove this!

There is saying that goes: Power without Control is useless! Even top players use her in an uncontrollable manner because she "has to be used as such!" You know, I don't believe this, and I have a few friends that use her, too (@KING JAIMY being one of them). But even the users agree she is mashy, the challenge is being able to again, NOT mash and play in a controlled manner with her! It'll take time & effort to do so!

I met a friend who's clan I joined later because the head liked what he saw, and my friend noticed that I liked to poke the fuck outta people - "This kid's poking is serious!!" (And wouldn't you think being a Kasumi clone, Alpha would have access to that?) Since I brought her up, don't you think she (and Phase 4) are mashy as well (though mashing Phase's strings may get her in more trouble)? I believe folks with frame data knowledge would agree (and this isn't me hating on them, but I said, Alpha gets mashed more than she actually mashes though she's the easiest to mash with - well, the most popular to mash with)

I can't tell you how often I hear, "You gotta pressure with Alpha!" Yet, on the other hand, while pressuring I hear: "You're Mashing!" I'm certain mashing is not an Alpha exclusive technique -- afterall, this is DOA, but spare the truth about it, right?)

Wehave to play sometime, so you'll see what the fuck I mean!

There was a reason she was given so much offense and ways to manipulate it, but it wasn''t to see how flashy one can get because, well, her combos aren't all that - even the ones you get from critical blast setups! She can CONTROL the game so well without them - I mean, pressure, but with that perception ...

Alpha is or can be used in a least four ways! I mean, what happens when the most popular way stops working whether it be: pressure, spacing, baiting, conditioning, mixups, being neutral heavy or yes MASHING? Players use to tell me I was too defensive with her and I was, but she does need it - and there are more ways to do it than just parrying (holding is useless unless you MASH because you will get mashed when crossing up unless the incoming combo has a long lag recovery time (I don't mean online lag). Yet, since all characters can mash block or an attack to turn on a dime ...

Alpha is about controlling the game! This is why she was a bitch to beat in 4 and why players rush/mash her to death in 5! They don't want to relinguish control. But sadly, they are told even by the players themselves that it's the only way to beat her! It isn't - it's just the EASIEST! Funny, how people complain about her mashy strings now, when all it took was mashing P in 4.

We have been through hell and back multiple times to not know what I am talking about! Whether I am tourney level or not - and I'm not - it doesn't negate how easily she can be beaten! I don't care if she can reciprocate!

Like DOAN said, she can teleport off a wall either in the slump state or when thrown into it. However, mentioned earlier, you have to be wary of her recovery frames and if the opponent mashes because it WILL happen! Most opponents mash P of some kind - Ayane, Alpha, Kasumi, may pull out a low kick. Here, though I haven't tried it, your best bet will be to FLT (and multiple times if needed)
I'm curious what your reasoning behind Phase being mashy is. I mean you also said attempting to mash gets her in trouble lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD