Community This Week at FSD #2

45284343_339416106834082_1124314080362889216_n.png

A few weeks ago the biggest Dead or Alive 6 trailer was released, and at TGS, Team NINJA explained what's going on with the game and announced the third chapter in their Dead or Alive Festival series. This week at FSD you are invited to explore content contributed by the offline players, artists and public demo information from Matt Ponton.

Offline Tournament News

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round will continue to be our standard while we wait for DOA6 to release this upcoming February. BigEGaming's NEC 19 is not only going to finish off the year, but will likely conclude DOA5's lifespan in offline majors. This week we look at the last offline tournament and rekindle the efforts of fighters who competed at Summer Jam XII.

SJ XII was filmed differently this year with Dragon Ninja capturing the intensity of the matches while also giving viewers a grand view of the event itself and the positive interaction that offline players exhibit to one another.

@BBoyDragon and @Ichiron47 had some clutch fights in finals, and the randomized levels did a great job of showing off their tricks and awareness of the environment. Their match on the controversial Danger Zone showed those watching how far the offline scene has progressed with perfecting their craft for DOAs dynamic and precision based environment system. When they weren't on the receiving end of guaranteed damage, both Bboy and Ichiron displayed some brilliant defense with their respective characters, Phase 4 and Mila.

When @CookingMama and @NoctTengu fight offline, you get a unique showing of everything their characters have to offer. Honoka is said to be a low-tier character that needs more effective moves, but Cooking Mama is sticking with her and figuring out the perfect recipe for tournament play. Now that Team NINJA is bringing this mimic fighter back to DOA6, it will be exciting to see what Mama cooks up next.

NoctTengu is very comfortable with Nyo-Tengu, and he knows the character so well it's rare he drops anything and can recover quickly from mistakes. 7KP is one of his favorite inputs, and it's a powerful move that gives Nyo some space, ends combos, crushes foes into obstacles or sends them flying off the stage. Noc will informatively entertain you with how to utilize Nyo-Tengu's style and move list.

@Gruff757 was making people sweat at Summer Jam XII, and was tearing through his competition winning four of his matches at the event. Gruff's careful planning and zone game caused a lot of trouble for his opponents. He has plenty of tricks, and would consistently follow up a whiff with a punish into a force tech that reset the fight in his favor with solid damage and confusion applied to his opponents.

@Jaeger and @Dragon Ninja competed in an aggressive set where both players had plans of their own to win. Jaeger played Hayabusa to the wall and excelled with his pressure game to win. Dragon Ninja's calculated behavior, focus and complete power launcher entertained those watching, but wasn't enough to defeat Rig in this hype set.

Thank you Dragon Ninja for documenting this event to the best of your ability, and congrats once more to BBoy Dragon for winning Summer Jam XII!

Dead or Alive 6 News

Since Dead or Alive 6 has been announced Team NINJA has been all over the world promoting the game. Team NINJA has gone from being a very quiet developer to a more transparent one thanks to the positive interaction at offline events. Matt Ponton's TGS coverage has shown us how fun it can be to discover together as we watch this game grow.

Ponton did a good job of highlighting things that weren't necessarily shown on Team NINJA's stage. You can check out his DOA5 to DOA6 comparison that shows how serious the team is about making this game look as good as it can. If something like the blood gets in the way of your visual enjoyment, toggle it off to fit your visual preference, but it's not something Kenny Omega would do!

Team NINJA's public demo also answers some gameplay questions regarding the ground game, now that there is one. Fighters can chain ground damage with strings to get advantage over the fallen foe. As of now, force-tech resets (i.e. Rachel's stomp) are not currently in the game, but could be in the future.
They are removing the stagger escape for DOA6. Shimbori's logic here is to make the game more accessible to newcomers. The mechanic was rarely comprehended by beginners, and even growing fighters didn't seem to utilize the stagger escape much which could also be a reason behind the removal. What are your thoughts on the SE not making a return?

Thanks to Ponton's research we are also able to to peruse some of the character move-lists. Ayane, Bayman and Marie Rose lists are available in video format on Twitter. @CookingMama compiled an organized list based on Honoka's moves in the forum.

Community Contributions
The hype for Dead or Alive 6 is elevated by the hard work of the community. There is a strong showing of DOA art on Twitter, but players are also displaying their work here at FSD. From intense offline matches to traveling overseas uncovering DOAs mysteries, there are many different ways to contribute with your talents.

@axouel2009 follows up his DOA6 character reveal art with the same remarkable execution he used for Rig and Diego. His Leifang and Hitomi drawings follow his stunning style, but are original with his bold and creative twists. Axouel is also sharing a behind the scenes recording for his Hitomi piece to further round out this project.

ART_Hitomi_Axouel_576x324.jpg

ART_Leifang_Axouel_576x324.jpg

@Battlecat396 continues to deliver adorable art, but this time explores some story elements that we've been teased with but know little about. Marie Rose is confirmed as Helena's servant in DOA6 using the same story description from her DOA5: Ultimate debut. We also know she is being carried away by Bayman in the reveal, which could be viewed as an order from Helena.

ART_Marie_Rose_and_Helena_Battle_Cat_528x462.jpg

ART_Marie_Rose_and_Bayman_528x462.jpg

@Kiraragirl200 has been fighting offline and contributing her DOA art to the community for a number of years and recently created a unique Leifang art piece to help commemorate her reveal. Leifang's updated default costume looks great, and this drawing does a great job of capturing her tone and warmth.

ART_Leifang_KKgirl_400x400.png

The community has been on fire these past few months with their contributions, and that's what inspired this weekly digest in the first place. If you have something you would like to contribute, be sure to add it to the always growing forum or our media section.

Last edited:
Removing SE pretty much means you better mash hold if you don't want to eat a combo. I think removing it to cater to newer players won't help them get better. Omitting mechanics doesn't make your game easier for people. This genre takes patience and a lot of people don't have that.

Removing SE pretty much means you better mash hold if you don't want to eat a combo. I think removing it to cater to newer players won't help them get better. Omitting mechanics doesn't make your game easier for people. This genre takes patience and a lot of people don't have that.

Nah, removing it means stupid shit like +5 turning into -1 will no longer happen and sit down stuns will actually be dangerous. Also means you have to be better at the neutral game instead of just mashing on the d-pad every time you got stunned. SE was a stupid mechanic.

Nah, removing it means stupid shit like +5 turning into -1 will no longer happen and sit down stuns will actually be dangerous. Also means you have to be better at the neutral game instead of just mashing on the d-pad every time you got stunned. SE was a stupid mechanic.
I think it is similar to shaking stuns in Soul Calibur though. I don't know. I hope this works out.

I think it is similar to shaking stuns in Soul Calibur though. I don't know. I hope this works out.

Other fighting games don't have the type of stuns that DoA has though. DoA is pretty unique in that regard....both negatively and positively. Maybe its just because I play Hitomi, but I just in general view SE as a not very good mechanic, or at the very least I don't care for how its implemented. I don't like that you can practically shave off half the the frames from a SE

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD