Thoughts on Diego and NiCO

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
nico_diego3-jpg.26508

Art by @Battlecat396

Team NINJA announced two new characters for DOA6, and much like DOA5 we get one new female and one new male. Now that we've had some time to think about Diego, and have seen NiCO for the first time -- what are you general opinions? It might be easy to see Diego as generic, and it might be easy to look at NiCO and deduct that she is a marketing trick to sell more games to the people that like anime girls.

Underneath all of that I think the characters look like a lot of fun to play. I feel like Diego's raw intensity is the standard they are trying to create for DOA6 gameplay, and NiCO shows that Team NINJA designs the absolute coolest moves in all of fighting games. NiCO also seems to have an interesting place in the story, and maybe it shouldn't come as a surprise that Victor Donovan has a secret Scientist up his sleeve.

I am happy with the designs and look forward to using both. Didn't immediately fall in love with Mila or Rig, but these characters look more up my ally. Team NINJA has also done a good job with DLC characters, so I don't think I'm worried about future content either.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't like Diego, I feel his design is generic and besides him being cute, his design isn't really all that interesting.

Nico it took me a while to warm up to but I do genuinely like her, another modestly proportioned girl is refreshing and I love her electric type style and how she's a kuudere, plus I love her bob without the accessories <3 I think TN wanted to do a compromise so they made Diego to cater to the west with his design and violent fighting style that really matches the game's darker tone, and they made Nico for Japan but they made her somewhat more easy to digest than Honoka and Marie by making her a scientist with electric abilities and making her personality less a moe one that would make her similar to the Honoka or Marie.

Overall I think TN did a good job with designing them for the most part, I think it's more the fact that it's only two newcomers total that sort of ruins it for me but maybe more fresh faces will come in future DLC

P2p1mbs

I also find Diego's design uncreative. Even his backstory seems really unoriginal. I'll wait until I've tried him out before deciding if I like him but it's not likely I will. I am interested in seeing more of his fighting style if only because he has no formal training so I would like to see how well he fights as a brawler compared to everyone else.

As for NiCO, I dont really like that she is just ANOTHER Marie lookalike and her fighting style looks a bit out of place with the electrical attacks (I hated Naotora for similar reasons) but overall, she comes across as more distinct in design than Diego.

Last edited:

SaihateDYNAMO

I have soooo much to say, like usual with my walls of text, especially about NiCOTiNe.

Diego is plain as white bread but is a safe design and concept for a newcomer. Every fighting game has a street fighting tough guy so I guess it was DOA’s turn now? In terms of what he has on though , I think his yellow undershirt is way too goofy and sticks out too much. Besides that, he’s really inoffensive as a design I guess? Like there’s nothing about him that really stands out so he kinda just fits in based on how unoriginal he is. On the other hand, NiCO’s something that the DOA series has never had before and could benefit from having. A scientist with electric Pencak Silat? How many fighters have that going on?

Buuuut my main issue is how if you put both newcomers side-by-side like the pic in the OP they don’t even look like they came from the same series and it’s really annoying me. Diego is dressed like a GTA Online avatar while NiCO looks straight out of Star Ocean, aka two completely different styles. Even Marie and Honoka who are basically the most “anime” out of the rest of the cast don’t look too out of place because their default outfits and color schemes are at least a bit more grounded so it blends with everyone else. Marie is a fashionable Gothic Lolita chick and Honoka is a schoolgirl, which DOA already had before. Meanwhile, NiCO’s neon blue and white is way too outlandish from the rest of the cast. Also yes I know about Ayane and Honoka’s hair colors but they’re much more muted than NiCO’s. If they wanted a blue-haired girl I would have preferred the blue they used for Leifang’s hair in her DOA++ render but whatever :rolleyes:

NiCO was basically designed to attract people who like that bright, overdesigned modern anime girl aesthetic (like the vtuber characters in that livestream the other day). More power to TN if they can manage to snag more sales thanks to designing her that way, but I really don’t like it in a game that was originally intended to be a bit more serious and brutal than the rest of the series. It seems extremely desperate to me. If TN were still serving the bright, colorful atmospheres from the earlier games, then maybe, but since every other stage has been lifted from Def Jam Fight for NY, then heck no!! Keep the characters looking mature if you’re trying to have their environments mature too. Like I said before, I can’t imagine NiCO in the same universe as realistic stages like the Throwdown because it’s too uncanny valley. I’m supposed to be taking the game seriously, right??

I’ve def warmed up to her a little compared to when she was first revealed but I still can’t help but feel they could have done more to make her feel more like a character that fits in the universe. Shes unique and I like that but she’s also like, TOO anime for DOA if you know what I mean. It won’t stop me from using her though, her moveset looks fun at least loll

KnacKrover

My first impression of Diego: okay, his design maybe unoriginal, bland, lacked of diversity as TN put his nationality as an American but leave a hint to be Latino?...anyway as for Diego bg story it's not that huge issue or big scale anything, if he actually interact with Rig in the trailer, I do wonder and want to find out about "What is he going to do?" personally, Diego is the first street fighter of the series along with Throw down stage with bunch of mobs street men...I do and I mean it! his default costume was a mistake unless TN start to realize that "Got guts" sound kinda dumb, I'm totally prefer another phrase somethin' like "git gud" also hate it or not, I do love to see his personality more than being hot studs with brawn I want to see his character with deep details what if he is actually befriend with Rig even they're in the ring!? I might want to see if he become Leon's A+ list rival x bromance.

Now about NiCO: At first, I do really disappoint based on her design :confused: this is not grade B fighting game with weeb waifus ya'll! unless TN try to formula the series or treat the game going off-road. Still, her fighting-style, gameplay, profiles are really opposite! who know that she's Finnish but hey! if NiCO character is not way too anime I might be reconsider due to her game play which it's great, but I doubt NiCO might be or REALLY actual villain of the series or perhaps maybe she have other intention to stabbed Donovan's back?

Until I preorder the game and I may not heading to story mode first! I need to focus on each specific or overall character commands and learn how to fatal rush, break hold and break blow properly.

Dee15gon

If a character starts out generic. Then make them less generic and give them better and cooler outfits. Plain and simple.

P2p1mbs

If a character starts out generic. Then make them less generic and give them better and cooler outfits. Plain and simple.

Costumes can make a character LOOK less generic but that wont help a generic personality or backstory. Diego is just another street brawler who fights for his loved ones while NiCO is a mad scientist. Obviously, the story will show more of their personality but seeing how generic they already are, I personally doubt there's more to them than what we have already seen.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Costumes can make a character LOOK less generic but that wont help a generic personality or backstory. Diego is just another street brawler who fights for his loved ones while NiCO is a mad scientist. Obviously, the story will show more of their personality but seeing how generic they already are, I personally doubt there's more to them than what we have already seen.
Yeah it takes more than a costume to suddenly make a character interesting, like Honoka has gotten plenty of cool outfits from collabs and such and she's still a moe blob. XD Diego I think will remain as interesting as Mila is but I think Nico will definitely wow us when the game finally does come out

Boogie

Honestly, they aren't TERRIBLE characters and Diego was definitely created when Rig and Mila was because he fits right in between them. Mila couldve been our brawler and Rig is a canadian hood lab rat. Switch them around, Rig couldve been a street brawler, Mila couldve done Taekwondo and Diego couldve been boxer (that wouldve been a better combo actually) but do I like his design? No. I hate his hair but he could be worst. I feel like he was included to check off some diversity list. "We now have 3 dark brown characters in our game!"

Nico is an interesting character with a awful design. I wish TN did more with facial features. She could still be cute and small and look nothing like Marie and Honoka but since they wont fix that then really its nothing that a costume contest wont patch up.

To me theyre just boring generic barbies that after 3 years of DLC will mold into their own.

ShinobiOfTheWind

Diego : ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I think it's usual in a figthing game to put stereotypical characters and it's not a problem at all for me. Diego is a great character, a mix between Leon and Mila. His fighting style is super hard, and I do like his design ! Just a little reserve for his hair, too much similar than Jann Lee and a bit too long. But he's the guy !

NiCO : ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Already expressed my thoughts about her. Her character is great, but like Boogie, I don't like her design who doesn"t fit for a finnish mad scientist.

I don't know what problem they have with Finland and Northern countries in general (I mean I rememeber the Marie-Rose issue with Sweden) but why go on that way ? I bet the next girl will be a loli from Norway ahaha.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Diego:
Appearance: Stunning, he’s very handsome. To me he’s the most handsome male in the series, he has a cute face, a sexy stubble beard and a hot body, and on top of that he’s a Latino (I fucking love latino’s), too bad his hair reminds me of a cockatoo, I hope he’ll get an alternate hairstyle.

Backstory: His backstory is a little bit bland and boring, I understand that his story couldn’t be as well written and deep as Ayane’s but still, they could’ve done better. He basically has the same purpose as Gen fu had in DOA3, just earning money for someone who’s sick. Since we haven’t seen much of the story mode, I hope that his story goes a little bit deeper than that because based on back story he sounds very boring.

Play style: I love his raw play style, just like other have mentioned, his play style really fits the direction the DOA team wants to go with DOA6, he’s still unfinished but he’s a character that is really satisfying to watch, his brute strength makes him quite a threat.

NiCO:
Appearance: She’s very cute, it’s a shame she has Marie’s face but besides that I really like her design and the mature vibe she’s giving me, unlike other characters her appearance makes sense since her design is so well thought out. I personally wished we got someone with curly hair and more of a tanned skin color but since she’s from Finland I can understand that she’s white. She dresses cute and modern, which I like. Her having more of a modern fashion sense with her scientist clothing satisfies me, I wish Lisa got something more modern to wear.

Backstory: Her backstory is shrouded in mystery, she works for Donovan but she has her own intentions while doing so. I hope the story mode in 6 gives us an answer or taste of what her true intentions are. Her being a villain makes me already like her a lot more, I have a thing for villains, especially ruthless ones like Raidou. NiCO is a threat to the ninja’s so I’m excited to see how the story of 6 turns out with having NiCO, Raidou (possibly) and Rig as the main villains of 6.

Gameplay: Her being a fast close combat fighter is something I have to get used to, since I love spacing and bring defensive but I really like her so I have to get out of my comfort zone. I do love her lighting and teleporting, it looks really cool and she seems like a lot of fun to play, can’t wait too see her in action.

For the TL;DR people, I like the both of them and will definitely try them out.

CFW

I really like both characters and their designs. NiCos looks a lil tacky but I’ll live with it.

Don’t really have anything bad to say about either one.

Atahotaku

I was dissapointed with their reveal trailer, and I'm still prefering Rig and Mila as new adds from DOA5. However, I started to like some aspects of both characters with time.

Diego: his design is fine by me, but I would like that TN make him gay for diversity purpose (and maybe this is a bad stereotype, but that would explain a little better his colour palette). Also, and even if his age goes against it, I would like if he's another one of Fame Douglas bastards (the son of Isabella), giving him more story purpose.

About his fighting style, I was thinking it was kinda lame, but now that I've played Yakuza Kiwami, and in case that Kazuma Kiryuu wouldn't going to be a guest character, I think Diego is a good replacement for him.

NiCO: she was the major dissapointment because I was too hyped for the new female, expecting a new waifu to main (not necessary a waifu as Honoka or Marie, just my cup of waifu, with an unique design). And as some people have stated, her design is too anime. But after reading some of the comments from this site about the possible reason behind it, I started to like the work that TN have put on her. I watched some videos of Penkat Silat an I like the style, but I don't like the lighting attacks of the character. I do like her lightning teleports, though.

So yeah, I will try Diego (I don't think I use him more than my main male Brad Wong if he's in, though), but I don't think I'll use NiCO in online. Not my cup of tea. I hope Rachel is in the game (base roster or an early DLC) because I will be very dissapointed if this girl is playable and she wouldn't.

human013

Diego and Nico are both fine and they fit well enough. The Nico thing isn't that big of a deal. The blue is fine since there are other "anime" colors in DOA, the electricity is nothing too out there when the DOA world is taken into account, and her outfit isn't out of place. Looks science-y enough with some personal touches. It's at least more distinguishable than Diego's outfit.
It puts a smile on my face every time a DOA person complains about the same face issue when it never was an issue before. Years of copying a non-Marie face is fine but once the template changes to Marie people go "Oh no, TN is so lazy copying Marie's face.":D

Mila and Rig were just as generic and bland as Diego and Nico so they're pretty much in the same boat. In 5 we got a generic guy and a gal who had colored hair. In 6 we also got a generic guy and a gal with colored hair. Then one of the new character has ties to the evil organization (Nico and Rig) and the other is a more normal person (Mila and Diego). Their backstories were also just as bland just like every other character.

All things considered, I like Nico and really like Diego. Diego brings in the normal grounded fighting style while Nico brings in the more magical/ ninja like fighting style. Personally, I like the "blandness" of the characters. Normal looking characters are great.

P2p1mbs

It puts a smile on my face every time a DOA person complains about the same face issue when it never was an issue before. Years of copying a non-Marie face is fine but once the template changes to Marie people go "Oh no, TN is so lazy copying Marie's face.":D

Part of the reason would be because starting in 5, they actually did put the effort on giving each girl a distinct face. When they started copying Marie's design starting with Honoka, they were going back to their old practice because they saw Maire's design as one people liked and would use it as an excuse to be lazy. I think its ok to complain that TN is not putting enough effort to make each character more original.

human013

Part of the reason would be because starting in 5, they actually did put the effort on giving each girl a distinct face. When they started copying Marie's design starting with Honoka, they were going back to their old practice because they saw Maire's design as one people liked and would use it as an excuse to be lazy. I think its ok to complain that TN is not putting enough effort to make each character more original.
If 5 was TN putting in effort to differentiate the faces then they failed horribly because the same face issue was clearly noticeable. Complaining about the same face issue is fine. I just found it funny how people are only now complaining about the same face because of Marie this and Marie that. It's as if people were fine with characters having the same face as long as it wasn't Marie's. Like in 5.

But seriously, if Nico didn't have Marie's face then it would have been to other "stock" face. It doesn't seem likely that an entirely new unique face would have been created.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If 5 was TN putting in effort to differentiate the faces then they failed horribly because the same face issue was clearly noticeable. Complaining about the same face issue is fine. I just found it funny how people are only now complaining about the same face because of Marie this and Marie that. It's as if people were fine with characters having the same face as long as it wasn't Marie's. Like in 5.

But seriously, if Nico didn't have Marie's face then it would have been to other "stock" face. It doesn't seem likely that an entirely new unique face would have been created.
No one in Vanilla DOA5 had the same face tho, every girl and guy had completely different distinct face models, the only instance where there was a similarity is Ayane and Kasumi and Hayate(somewhat in a masculine way) since they're sisters and they three are related so they do look somewhat similar.

P2p1mbs

If 5 was TN putting in effort to differentiate the faces then they failed horribly because the same face issue was clearly noticeable

If you mean facial expressions, then you're right but if you mean face design for the girls, than I need you to cite some examples ofrom 5 before I can agree with you because I'm pretty sure that up until Honoka showed up, every girl had a distinct facial design.

To get back to Diego and NiCO; I find it a bit odd that they made NiCO european despite being made to appeal to asian audiences. I'll give TN some credit in trying to make her distinct with her Silat fighting style (according to the wiki, she is the first character in a fighting game with that style) with electrical abilities and distinct hair color, as out of place as it is. Compare this to Diego's design which I can describe as Miguel from Tekken with worse hair* and is Mexican-American rather than Spanish.

*Seriously, his hair is terrible.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD