DOA5LR Tips and strategies against all characters

Soaring Zero

Great thread. Some of these things I really didn't know. It may not be much but I'll try to share what I know about my characters:

:kasumi:
Kasumi has very fast punches up close and her ability to mix up is really good. But as she is very unsafe, if the player isn't free cancelling A LOT you have some opportunities to punish. If they do the second hit of :4::P::P:, :1::P::P:, or if they finish any of her strings starting with :P::P: and you manage to block the last hit you can usually throw punish her. The second hit of :4::P::2::K: and :6::P::2::K: can also be low punished on block if you're fast enough. Also randomly throwing out holds is a bad idea against Kasumi. You'll be pretty much giving her free throw punishes and you don't want that.

:mila:
Like was already said Mila's tackles can be low thrown. But the best way to avoid them is to learn what moves she can cancel into her feint. This pretty much just takes practice and acquiring more knowledge of the character. Just be aware that the tackle is not her only option when she does the feint. She can opt for the mid punch or mid kick instead or even do nothing to try and bait out an attempted punish.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I have advice regarding Phase 4:
:phase4:Avoid too many high punches while fighting Phase 4, because :6::7::h: is a very scary expert hold that not only damages you, but lets her do an easy guaranteed combo from you being back turned, and it'll cost you a lot of your life bar against a skilled Phase 4 player.

When rushing in on you from a distance to initiate rush down, P4 players will most likely use either :6::6::P: or :6::6::K:. Here's the catch: They're both mid hits! Keep this in mind, so that you won't be throwing out alot of missed holds and allowing her to continue her assault.

Argentus

Great thread. Some of these things I really didn't know. It may not be much but I'll try to share what I know about my characters:

Kasumi has very fast punches up close and her ability to mix up is really good. But as she is very unsafe, if the player isn't free cancelling A LOT you have some opportunities to punish. If they do the second hit of :4::P::P:, :1::P::P:, or if they finish any of her strings starting with :P::P: and you manage to block the last hit you can usually throw punish her. The second hit of :4::P::2::K: and :6::P::2::K: can also be low punished on block if you're fast enough. Also randomly throwing out holds is a bad idea against Kasumi. You'll be pretty much giving her free throw punishes and you don't want that.

:mila:
Like was already said Mila's tackles can be low thrown. But the best way to avoid them is to learn what moves she can cancel into her feint. This pretty much just takes practice and acquiring more knowledge of the character. Just be aware that the tackle is not her only option when she does the feint. She can opt for the mid punch or mid kick instead or even do nothing to try and bait out an attempted punish.
And she can feint the tackle to other options on top of that.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Will this thread get updated @KING JAIMY?

I'll throw in my $0.02.

:ayane:

- Was already mentioned I'm sure, but, you can easily duck or hold the 2nd hit of 66KK4 if you block the first hit or if it whiffs. If used outside mid-range, you can just swat it out of the air with a fast mid or high strike

- Ayane is very unsafe on a lot of her moveset, but you need to be on-point with your punishment. You also need to pay attention to what position she is in when you block an unsafe strike (i.e. Back-Turned, Squatting, Crouching, etc.)

- If you block something like 3PP that leaves Ayane BT'ed, you can strike punish her for free

- Ayane has the largest collection of -30 on block moves such as PPPK or 7K. You can punish these moves with almost anything you want including slow throws and i20+ strikes.

- Try to avoid letting Ayane get space unless your character excels at turtling

- Spins or rolls can be low thrown or low OH'ed on reaction if used in close range (though can be admittedly risky to do)

- Try to avoid sidestepping freely against Ayane

:christie:

- If you block a string that transitions into JAK, you can 6P her for free, regardless if it tracks or not

- Christie has no lows that are + on hit outside of strings

- In open space Christie's throws aren't a huge threat damage-wise so you can be a bit more liberal with holds

- Learn to hold Christie's strings on reaction

- Try to avoid sidestepping freely against Christie

- The second hit of 6PP can be held on reaction except if the first hit connects on NH.

:momiji:

- Punish 66PP every time you block it

- Apart from a few strings, Momiji doesn't have a whole lot of string delays compared to other characters

- Most of Momiji's launchers are highs

- Don't whiff stupidly against Momiji to avoid allowing her to rack up the free damage

- Crouch or high hold 66PP on reaction if you block the first hit or if it whiffs.

- 66KK is very punishable on block and 66K~K is holdable on reaction

- Learn to react to Kasumi's frame advantage lows, which can be very dangerous.

- Try to zone Kasumi out, especially if your character can fight well at range

- If Kasumi jumps at you, just duck

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Damn, I've really been neglecting this thread and you guys have shared a lot of useful information in the meantime. I will give this thread a big update once I get some free time on my hands. Keep up the good work everyone!

Also a tip I should keep in mind I received from the French player Snow; you can punish Phase 4's 66K.P+K Tenfu T by dashing forward after blocking 66K and then retaliating with a back-turned strike.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
:kasumi::phase4:
-Don't be intimidated by their shared :7::K: attack... This move for both of them is VERY unsafe at -30 frames. You can use your strongest throws to punish Kasumi and Phase 4 players who attempt to do this to you on block.
:kasumi:Kasumi's :2::K::K: string isn't threatening on normal hit. As long as you block, the 2nd hit can be blocked accordingly, and can be throw punished.

Nikotsumi

I'm not really good at giving usefull tips but let's give it a try.

:honoka:
-All of her options from running, Dokuritsu-ho, Bokuho, Ducking and Hissatsu-no-Kamae stances can be sidestepped, except for DHO H+K. Watch out for running and Hissatsu T
-All of her options from Ducking stance are unsafe.
-All of her moves that leave her in Dokuritsu-ho stance are unsafe (3K, PPK, Bokuho K), the last two ones can be punished with a 12f throw.
-All of her options from Dokuritsu-ho stance are unsafe (except for DHO P).
-All of her back turned moves can be sidestepped, except for BT K and BT 2K which are both unsafe.

:ein:
-The two options after his H+K can be avoided by ducking.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

I'm not really good at giving usefull tips but so let's give it a try.
Fixed. :)

Your tips really do help, Nikotsumi. You just explained how we can make better use of the sidestepping mechanic and using throw punishment against Honoka and how we can avoid both of Ein's options after H+K. I'm sure a lot of people - including me - appreciate the contributions you've made.

I will give this thread a small update tonight.

Nikotsumi

Fixed. :)

Your tips really do help, Nikotsumi. You just explained how we can make better use of the sidestepping mechanic and using throw punishment against Honoka and how we can avoid both of Ein's options after H+K. I'm sure a lot of people - including me - appreciate the contributions you've made.

I will give this thread a small update tonight.

Lol, thank you.
Btw, this thread is amazing, it actually helped a lot me against characters i do not have knowledge about, especially Momiji. Keep it up!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD