DOA5LR Tips and strategies against all characters

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:bass:
The speed of his lows are below average, making his mid and highs his primary strikes to use. His mid kicks are pretty good and his primary tracking move is a mid punch.

His strikes are primarily there to condition you into eating throws. Unless you're at major disadvantage, you should use your quick standing strikes to not get thrown by :6::h::+::P:.

He is prone to getting zoned out and needs to work to get close. A good zone will have an easier time keeping away and getting back in to start an offense.

His BT OH has short reach. Use that knowledge to not get baited into getting locked down in case a player uses :6::6::K: on block. His BT low OH has more reach, so don't get caught doing lows as it will cause a pretty nasty reset.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Just a tip for both Kasumi and Phase 4 I thought I'd share:
:6::H+K::K: and :6::H+K::2::K: can both be avoided by simply crouching on reaction when you see it coming while guarding(you can throw punish them if they do the 2K follow up), or you can just guard the 6H+K and simply low hold after that so if they do the :K: follow up, you'll duck it since it's a high(You can throw punish them afterwards), while if they do the :2::K: follow up, you'll hold it. Keep this in mind especially if your character has an expert low hold in their arsenal.

Furthermore, Kasumi's :2::K::K: can be avoided by simply ducking after the first hit. If the string is done to you while in a critical stun, you can simply low hold out of it, and throw punish Kasumi afterwards.

Oh, and aside from :4::P::K:, All of kasumi's other options after :4::P: can be avoided by low guarding or low holding. The :K: follow up is a mid, but is unsafe on block.

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

Here's another tip against :honoka:

Since Honoka has forced stance transitions, If you get it with all 3 hits of :6::6::P+K: and you low hold, you'll avoid Heichu :P: or hold Heichu :K:. I don't think Honoka players will follow up with Heichu :P+K: (mid) after :6::6::P+K: (at least i never do, unless there's a wall behind) because it breaks the stun threshold.
Don't know if it's a wise thing to do, since i'm basically saying to random low hold, but when people do this, they actually stop my offense, pissing me off xD

Lulu

Here's another tip against :honoka:

Since Honoka has forced stance transitions, If you get it with all 3 hits of :6::6::P+K: and you low hold, you'll avoid Heichu :P: or hold Heichu :K:. I don't think Honoka players will follow up with Heichu :P+K: (mid) after :6::6::P+K: (at least i never do, unless there's a wall behind) because it breaks the stun threshold.
Don't know if it's a wise thing to do, since i'm basically saying to random low hold, but when people do this, they actually stop my offense, pissing me off xD

What if there's a wall ?

Is it possible she can get a decent wall juggle using her HNK Stance (if Heichu :P+K: succeeds) ?

UpSideDownGRUNT

Just a tip for both Kasumi and Phase 4 I thought I'd share:
:6::H+K::K: and :6::H+K::2::K: can both be avoided by simply crouching on reaction when you see it coming while guarding(you can throw punish them if they do the 2K follow up), or you can just guard the 6H+K and simply low hold after that so if they do the :K: follow up, you'll duck it since it's a high(You can throw punish them afterwards), while if they do the :2::K: follow up, you'll hold it.
Good to know, too bad that's next to impossible online. Especially in a 1-2bar connection.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Good to know, too bad that's next to impossible online. Especially in a 1-2bar connection.
I thought about that too, that's why I was hesitant to post because of this. It's still possible though, I did the trick once in a very heavy lag match, but mashing low hold quickly during the lag should suffice if the connection allows it...hopefully. :p

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
One last bit, this time about Hitomi and Ein:
The last high kick from their commands :2::K::K: and :P::P::2::K::K: can be ducked by low holding, and you can throw punish afterward since they'll both be left at 26 recovery frames. If your opponent does go for the :2_::K::K: or :P::P::2_::K::K:, you'll just low hold it. Also, all follow up options after Hitomi's :6::H+K: can be ducked by crouching, or low holding, and if she goes for the low sweep, you'll just hold it.

Last edited:

NightAntilli

Against Leifang:
The majority of her mid and low moves are unsafe. Don't be afraid to grab. On the flip side, the majority of her highs are safe. Don't grab them, but crush them instead.
Leifang's punch parry is quite versatile. When trying to interrupt, it's better to use kicks than punches in most cases. Just be wary of the mid parry.
Do not keep using the exact same strategy against Leifang constantly. Three advanced holds are enough to knock you out.
Leifang has a weak long range. By letting her come to you rather than chasing her, you can get a significant advantage.

Against Kokoro:
All attacks from her heichu stance are linear, and all of them can be sidestepped easily. It leaves Kokoro completely open for punishment.
Kokoro has weak defenses. Interrupt with your fastest moves and keep her in stun as much as possible.
Kokoro is strong at all ranges. Fight her at the range your own character is best at.

Lulu

Helena is very insecure about her weight.... Tell her those pants make her look Fat and she'l be too busy obsessing about it to fight properly....

You're welcome. ;)

Lulu

So I've been thinking ? Which characters have the Fastest Side Stepping Attacks ? Not including Comman Side Steps ofcourse.

YBNDM

I got some stuff for Nao:
-Most of Naotora's moves are mid kicks and kicks in general, keep this in mind.
-the last kick of 6KKK8K, one of her best CB setups is very reactable
-Her only safe mid punch is 8P, which has an iffy hitbox

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
8P is terrible use in neutral regardless, why would anyone use this i15 move is beyond me for neutral startups. I can only see this move used within a stun.

I got some stuff for Nao:
-Most of Naotora's moves are mid kicks and kicks in general, keep this in mind.

Not sure if trolling or....

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I
8P is terrible use in neutral regardless, why would anyone use this i15 move is beyond me for neutral startups. I can only see this move used within a stun.

Not sure if trolling or....
Yeah, 8P isn't so hot in neutral, the only good thing about it is that it's a decent interrupter and it's safe. And I wouldn't call 6KKKK8K one of her best CB set ups YB, it can be SEed to negate the sitdown stun's guaranteed CB and the kicks are all mids...the only time it'd be useful is for a mindgame when the opponent is back turned...I'll elaborate more on that later. Plus Naotora doesn't really need a CB to be honest, she can deal good damage without them.

I have some tips I wouldn't mind sharing but I'll hold off for whenever Jaimy wishes to continue on the thread, it's summer after all so everyone's been busy doing stuff, as have I. XD

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Does anyone have tips and strategies against Mai Shiranui?
I made a guide about her once so here's what I can say:

-She can't do much at long long range. When they start chucking her fan just side side step or crouch walk forward. Side stepping to advance I think is best since from what I know none of her ranged attacks have tracking

-Her PB is abusable and that's what alot of Mais like to do when you advance since it knocks back and resets the zoning and it has good pushback, so just block

-She's not as easy to throw punish since alot of her attacks are either safe or have decent push back, you'll have to resort to some striker punishment. She's also not very threatening on normal hit since she seems to be more counter hit suited in general, only 4P, 8K, 66K, 9P~P/9P~K, 4K, etc give her a stun while most other attacks don't give her a stun. It's best to just wait for an opening if she's trying to open you up, the worst she can do is 5T and 4T/6T throw you since her other throws are a bit slow and easy to interrupt

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

Learn to react to PP2K, PPP2K, 3P2K, (notations?) etc. (or get used to the animation of 2H+K in general) and try to retaliate (or punish if possible) whenever you gain an opening or advantage. Preferably don't play a ranged game against Mai because her keepout & footsies are excellent (unless you play Ayane =P). Treat this match-up like you're fighting Momiji with fans and an abusive PB attack. If Mai whiffs a fan, sidestep then dash in; be ready to guard against any follow-up baits.

Kasumilover's right that Mai's throw game isn't really threatening unless there's additional floor damage oppotunities for 236T. Only her breakable 5T throw can cause wall damage or chuck you off cliffs. If you can react and respond accordingly to Mai's lows (names the sweeps that look like 2H+K), you can make it that much harder for her to open you up consistently. Her 2P is -1 on NH too.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Kasumi can high parry her fan from far so if a Mai player tries to run out the time by spamming the fans at you just high parry with her and you’ll be behind Mai. Never use Kasumi’s advanced parry since that one will leave you at a disadvantage.

Mai’s 3PK, 236K and PPPK have a fixed high punch as finisher so you can easily Duck, hold or throw Punish it since it’s also unsafe on block.

Mai’s lows are pretty slow with the exception of 2KP and 2P. So if she throws out lows with the exception of those 2 you can easily hold or punish her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD