System TopTier Tips guide For help with DOA5 including LR.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Top Tier Tips by: Legendary Goken & Force of Nature
Artwork & Design by: SgtScience

Leading up to the eventual release of Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, myself and a couple companions of mine decided to put together a little mini-guide to help out relatively newer players to the DOA series. Whereas Team NINJA's "Get, Ready, Fight!" series focused around easing a new player into feeling comfortable with execution related matters and the like, this guide will touch on some of the more intricate aspects of DOA5's gameplay mechanics such as punishment, usage of throws and offensive holds, the stun system, stagger escapes, side steps, fuzzy guards and the like. It doesn't touch on every aspect of DOA's complicated system in the interest of trying to not get too complex, since that would be a bit better suited for an advanced level guide. The main focus of this mini-guide is to give newer players an appreciation for how deep DOA5's gameplay system is along with what to be focusing on while training for matches or what to think about during the matches themselves.

Top Tier Tips Guide:
https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/2cc9307a-88b6-49e5-a3a2-bb59981ce603

pl4sHXM.jpg

In this guide we look at:

1. Blocking
2. Counter-Holding
3. Throwing
4. Punishment
5. Spacing
6. Juggling
7. Mix-ups
8. Guaranteed Moves
9. Stuns
10. Powerblows & Power Launchers
11. Stagger Escaping
12. Side Stepping
13. Crushes
14. Tech Rolls and Rising
15. Fuzzy Guarding

There's a few other tidbits that we include too that could provide helpful as you train and prepare for matches with live opponents. They are mostly suggestions so an individual's experience with them may vary, but they have proved helpful to us in our experience.

Here are the links included within the guide:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/homework-time-footsies-and-spacing-101.4522/
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/how-to-use-frame-data.224/

"Special thanks to one of my good friends sgtscience for putting the long hours of hard work in creating such an amazing and stylized pdf. You've managed to make this project that much cooler with your art & designs. Proud to have you on our team.

Force of Nature and I have collaborated together to write the expert tips we thought could help anyone become a better fighter, while cutting their training time in half. We hope you enjoy it!"
-Legendary Goken

I hope you enjoy the guide and find it insightful in some way, and good luck with your journey towards levelling up in DOA5:LR! ;)

- LG & FoN

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Man that looks very sleek and professional, nicely done. Will you eventually touch on every aspect of DOA's complicated system for a future advanced level guide?

I'm thinking about it, since there's a lot of stuff that could be elaborated on such as oki, use of frame advantages, pressure, etc. I'll speak with LG about that a little later down the road!

WAZAAAAA

I'm thinking about it, since there's a lot of stuff that could be elaborated on such as oki, use of frame advantages, pressure, etc. I'll speak with LG about that a little later down the road!
Don't forget to mention "mobile guarding" with 7, and the fact that you can actually tech roll or WU on the desired direction, everyone seems to disregard these two =0

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
It did mention "mobile guarding" lol. It's inputted with 4(4) or 7 (AKA Freestep Block Backstep). There's also the ability to perform a delayed tech roll or delayed "tech up" (it's the timing that the Training Dummy does when they rise after a knockdown).

WAZAAAAA

It did mention "mobile guarding" lol. It's inputted with 4(4) or 7 (AKA Freestep Block Backstep). There's also the ability to perform a delayed tech roll or delayed "tech up" (it's the timing that the Training Dummy does when they rise after a knockdown).
Ah, I skipped to the "Defensive Techniques" to check the freestep block backstep but it wasn't there, my bad.
I see the wake up on desired position, but can't you also wake up down, up, and neutral (fastest) instead of just forward and back? Did they remove it on DOA5? :eek:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I'll give this a read. Looks well done and professional, good stuff. Also, thank you on mentioning my 3H+K example and footsies article.

Also, if you guys intend on touching on okizeme in this game, lemme know. I can tap into that bit since I understand this game's ground game so fluently.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I'll give this a read. Looks well done and professional, good stuff. Also, thank you on mentioning my 3H+K example and footsies article.

Also, if you guys intend on touching on okizeme in this game, lemme know. I can tap into that bit since I understand this game's ground game so fluently.
Your Footsies article is excellent and nicely illustrated what we were leaning towards with regards to space control. In a follow-up guide we would touch on okizeme, pressure and application of frame advantages at least. We welcome your input on it!

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
That guide looks great, I think it's a good summary of what you need to get into the game. One thing I wanted to ask about: On page two, aren't commands in brackets actually those that shall whiff on purpose, like in a no-timing PL combo? Or is it that you just decided to label pressed inputs like this?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
That guide looks great, I think it's a good summary of what you need to get into the game. One thing I wanted to ask about: On page two, aren't commands in brackets actually those that shall whiff on purpose, like in a no-timing PL combo? Or is it that you just decided to label pressed inputs like this?

I think you're thinking of the :5: or * which implies a delayed input or an input follow-up with stricter timing such as a just frame. Brackets represent a "held down" input in notation such as 4(4) meaning double tap, then hold down.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
I think you're thinking of the :5: or * which implies a delayed input or an input follow-up with stricter timing such as a just frame. Brackets represent a "held down" input in notation such as 4(4) meaning double tap, then hold down.

I actually wrote exactly what I was thinking about, but nevermind.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD