"Way of the Kunoichi" - a Momiji guide

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
This guide might need to be updated.

My bad. Haven't played since SF 5 was released. I will update it if I come back to the game after EVO. I check FSD a couple times a week. If someone wants to add some stuff or change some stuff, just hit me up and we can work to make the changes. It WOULD be nice to have it updated. I just don't have the time to do it as of now. 90% of the info here is still applicable. Apologies.

DoANoob

My bad. Haven't played since SF 5 was released. I will update it if I come back to the game after EVO. I check FSD a couple times a week. If someone wants to add some stuff or change some stuff, just hit me up and we can work to make the changes. It WOULD be nice to have it updated. I just don't have the time to do it as of now. 90% of the info here is still applicable. Apologies.
No biggie. Take your time. ;)

Lulu

@coffeedad

Damn dude thats a long time.

I don't know about the specific Momiji Specific Changes but you can find all the Changes made to the game and characters on Team Ninja's Update Page.... simply pick a Patch then Scroll Down to find your Character.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
What's the deference between zoing and spacing?

There are some similarities but it's something like this. Took one bit from SF in Zoning.

Zoning is when you are controlling a safe zone/space (in other fighting games, fireballs and projectiles are part of this to stop your opponent from crossing a line and condition them to do something else.) Ex: You can bait someone to do a jump-in at street fighter jumping over your slow fireball and he can net a free anti-air for someone trying to jump in. Zoning characters could take advantage of moves with long range or hurtbox along with strings, huge grab range. This could be considered keep-away too.

Zoning refers to fighting game tactics centered around keeping the opponent at a specific distance. http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Zoning

Many games are played differently regarding Zoning. DOA doesn't have natural jump ins like Street Fighter, so it's a different type of zoning but you could get some of that idea I guess? Spacing and Zoning is almost the same but Spacing could be considered a playstyle to hang back defensively and taking advantage of moves being out there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spacing is when you are playing defensively with minimum aggressive offense to punish opponent in open space situations. Such as netting a CH in a specific situation and then doing a knockback move which sends them far across the screen and the opponent is forced to cool back from his/her pure offense/aggression. Whiff punishing moves out in the open, and can become best friends with the timer if the opponent is taking too long to make decisions to get in with the opponent who's spacing or playing keepout. If I have to come up with a Ying and Yang, this would be Ying and Yang would be the player who's pure rushdown or aggressor that's really good up close. People take spacing negatively for whatever reason, but it's a genuine tactic because you are playing the game without taking damage and the goal is to prevent health loss and dropping your opponents health.

In a way they are kind of the same somewhat, if there was a short answer, both of those are not in your face so there's that.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I've always seen zoning as controlling the battlefield, and hence controlling your opponent's actions, whereas spacing is just keeping distance from your opponent.

Though as a term, "Spacing" can simply mean the distance between yourself and your opponent. A lot of players complain about spacing (or zoning to an extent) in fighting games because they "don't find it fun" to deal with. These players feel that both players should be rushing each other down at all times (because apparently "it's more fun"), which is an idiotic strategy for zoning/keepout characters.

Ven0M0us

I have two questions I'd like to ask. First and most importantly her general playstyle. And the correct usage of her 3k and 4k.

Is it just me? Or are fights with momiji usually fought at close range? I've been playing momiji (she's my main)and watching people play momiji lately and it seems as though her range tools are rarely use, considering that she is a spacer, doesn't that defeat the purpose of using momiji? like if you can't use those tools then what reason would you have to pick momiji in the first place? you may as well pick a character that's good in close range. Ok, with that being said what am I not understanding about her?

Also when I use her 3k&4k I tend to punished by attack used just before the active frames of both 3k and 4k. Can anyone tell me the proper usage of these moves?

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I have two questions I'd like to ask. First and most importantly her general playstyle. And the correct usage of her 3k and 4k.

Is it just me? Or are fights with momiji usually fought at close range? I've been playing momiji (she's my main)and watching people play momiji lately and it seems as though her range tools are rarely use, considering that she is a spacer, doesn't that defeat the purpose of using momiji? like if you can't use those tools then what reason would you have to pick momiji in the first place? you may as well pick a character that's good in close range. Ok, with that being said what am I not understanding about her?

Also when I use her 3k&4k I tend to punished by attack used just before the active frames of both 3k and 4k. Can anyone tell me the proper usage of these moves?
Momiji is a zoning character, she has a very good keep out game and is hard to approach once you use her properly.

Majority of the people that play Momiji often do not know how to use her and just mash 6PKKP. A lot of people that don't understand that certain characters are zoning/spacing characters tend to fight up close.

4K is a move that's used to stop players from getting to close to you, it's a very good move imo and can prevent players from approaching you.

3K is a tracking mid kick that has a P follow up which can be used as a reset, imo it's better to use 3K as a way to stun your opponent.

like I said most people don't know the general playstyle of some characters, some people pick Momiji because she's easy to pick up, let's not forget she's god like in tag. And I don't know what you're not understanding about her, judging from your post it seems that you do have a general understanding of her and know how to use her.

SilverForte

Momijis main thing is keepaway, trying to hit the opponent with a counter hit poke as they run in and try to do something. Then you can go for more stun yourself or launch, or whatever. Her neutral game is fantastic.

Ven0M0us

Momiji is a zoning character, she has a very good keep out game and is hard to approach once you use her properly.

Majority of the people that play Momiji often do not know how to use her and just mash 6PKKP. A lot of people that don't understand that certain characters are zoning/spacing characters tend to fight up close.

4K is a move that's used to stop players from getting to close to you, it's a very good move imo and can prevent players from approaching you.

3K is a tracking mid kick that has a P follow up which can be used as a reset, imo it's better to use 3K as a way to stun your opponent.

like I said most people don't know the general playstyle of some characters, some people pick Momiji because she's easy to pick up, let's not forget she's god like in tag. And I don't know what you're not understanding about her, judging from your post it seems that you do have a general understanding of her and know how to use her.
Thanks Anubis , I might make a Separate thread on this topic later. Most likely what I'll do there is ask questions and learn more about momiji. Once I get good with her I'll make my own guide on momiji

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Thanks Anubis , I might make a Separate thread on this topic later. Most likely what I'll do there is ask questions and learn more about momiji. Once I get good with her I'll make my own guide on momiji
Don't make a separate thread, there are already plenty of them

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD