We Major - The (constructive) increasing turnout thread

Tempest

This is the thread to brainstorm what each of us individually can do for the community to help people like @Jyakotu get out and have fun at their first major.

This is the thread to find ways to get players like @Hazard and everyone else who is stuck at home without a car out to the majors they want to attend.

I'm not good at writing long posts, so let's just start out posting what majors at the Battle Royale we'd like to attend (Currently looking at TFC, Summer Jam, and NEC myself), and we can start figuring out what's holding us back, and from there we can work on something to do about it together.

Lets keep this thread positive and on track. If there's an issue, feel free to shoot me a PM. @Mr. Wah @CyberEvil I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place, I just want to get something started.

Edit: For those of you that can't make it due to school, work, family responsibilities, etc, this thread is not supposed to harass you into something you don't have time for. Everyone can support the community in their own way. This is just about finding ways to get everyone interested in that tournament experience out there.

Last edited:

Hazard

Standard Donor
I'll tell you right off the bat. I'm not a traveler. I don't like to be far from home, and with many majors of the Battle Royal being farther than 2 states away, yeah it gets a little impossible. The main issue that I personally have is not having a vehicular. Being how I am as well, I do not like to be a burden on anyone who would have to come out of their way to drive me a distance. However, that may change as the next major I would HOPE to attend is TFC, which is all the way in September (3 days after my birthday, woot woot). That should be more than enough time to get my own car and be able to transport myself to near events (mainly FR and TFC).

Another important issue that I have is a lack of funds. I'm an 18 year old college student with, surprisingly, no job. No job = no money. No money = no place to stay during the major nor entrance fee if there ever is one. That problem can be easily resolved however, I just have to get off my lazy ass and find a stable job.

Tempest

I'll tell you right off the bat. I'm not a traveler. I don't like to be far from home, and with many majors of the Battle Royal being farther than 2 states away, yeah it gets a little impossible. The main issue that I personally have is not having a vehicular. Being how I am as well, I do not like to be a burden on anyone who would have to come out of their way to drive me a distance. However, that may change as the next major I would HOPE to attend is TFC, which is all the way in September (3 days after my birthday, woot woot). That should be more than enough time to get my own car and be able to transport myself to near events (mainly FR and TFC).

Another important issue that I have is a lack of funds. I'm an 18 year old college student with, surprisingly, no job. No job = no money. No money = no place to stay during the major nor entrance fee if there ever is one. That problem can be easily resolved however, I just have to get off my lazy ass and find a stable job.

Don't sweat about asking for help, that's what this thread is for. The only reason I was even able to go was because @Fullmetal was able to spot me for gas, and because @Awesmic let us share his room. TFC is a long way off, but we're going to try to get some carpools in the works, and see what we can do for hotels as soon as possible.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
You know, during that conversation, I kind of just sat there and figured that this conversation happened before. It's clear that certain tournaments are known as THE tournaments for DOA5, those imo being Summer Jam, TFC, SoCal Regionals, and NEC. I think with Battle Royal, it was good that Team Ninja released a schedule ahead of time. That helps people who might have financial troubles or work schedules plan out their funds and what days to take off. What a lot of people don't understand is that a lot of the players that do make it out are in college, have a job, have children, have bills, and other life responsibilities. Of course not everyone is going to go to EVERY tournament and you don't have to go out to every one, but everyone can at least make it out to one. Hell, the main reason I was able to attend Final Round was because I saved my money and since a large group of people went, the hotel cost wasn't as much as I thought it was and I actually left with quite a bit of money left over, since food wasn't too expensive either.

However, the reality is also this: people who keep making excuses are the ones who simply do not have the passion to come out. Those are not the people we should be targeting, just like the OP stated. The people that we need to target are those who were like me, afraid to come offline and meet the players because of what they see online. Final Round definitely shattered that fear for me, because the offline community is like a passionate family who just wants their baby to grow and succeed like the big kids (aka the SFs, the Marvels, the Tekkens, etc) and keep a thriving community. People in the community are not afraid to help out if they can, especially if you need a place to stay or need food to eat.

Also, people should keep in mind that you do not always have to attend the bigger and more expensive events. For example, MWC is happening in May and it is significantly cheaper than some of the more bigger events, like TFC and NEC. MWC is like $20 for pre-registration and $10 per game and hotels in Nashville, TN are affordable the more people share a room.

So as you can see, if you truly do care about DOA and want to truly enjoy the game the way it's meant to be played, then a tournament setting is definitely the way to go. It's not even about just competing and playing to win, it's more about connection with the community offline and what goes AFTER the tournament is what makes the experience worthwhile. People can seem intimidating online, which is to be expected because not everyone knows if people are serious or joking online, but once you go offline and connect with the community, you'll see just how different it is and how much better it is actually to be around people who are passionate about the game and will travel out in order to compete, share tech, and hang out.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I already know I'm going to the EVO side tournament. I had plans to go to TFC last year, and Winter Brawl before that, but I had troubles making it to both because I had to use my plane money to go to Oregon for arising family health concerns (that I'm still battling with now).

What I think should almost be guaranteed is that players casual and hardcore alike should plan to go to events closest to them. And with the Battle Royal we have a detailed schedule that is not only finalized but includes a bonus prize pot at almost every last one. Better yet, not every sponsored tournament is on the East Coast.

If you can catch a plane ticket for another tournament, that's on your money and your responsible planning. My goal is to expose the more casual side of tournaments. I think that the casual side to our community is still afraid to show up because they are afraid of getting bodied.

What's important about these events is making friends, being able to do your hobby on a more social scale and of course to see your own improvement as a player. This year and most of last year I have heard no bad things pertaining to the high leveled players. Every player is doing their best to be informative and kind. Even trollpedo has found a way to be kind to others. :p

And another fact of the matter is: this is a problem that is solving itself. Look at Fyre-T, he has found a way to go to tournament after tournament and you have seen major, major improvement in his overall game. When you make it real for yourself you will find out that you can adjust and that you can improve.

Don't be scared. Check out the Battle Royal. Plan for one tournament the closest to you.

Last year the community invested their own money to see the pros THEY loved to watch compete in a major tournament. I think their were 4-7 of them. Now is the time to invest a bit of your own money to compete. Last Round is the last iteration of DOA5.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Suggestions:
  • If you feel like hotel prices are too high, try talking with people around you to see who wants to split one with you. You have to be willing to pitch in. OR you can try finding one close by that's cheaper so that you don't spend as much money to stay there.
  • If you need a ride (carpool), ask someone who is willing to help out. It's always a good thing to offer gas money & dinner to let them know that you appreciate them for letting you ride with them
  • If you know someone close by an event, ask them is it possible to stay with them for that weekend & be willing to help them out the best way that you can.
  • Set a goal for a trip that you would like to make & be aware of your location. Also known as planning ahead of time. If you can't make the event let's say a California major, then look to see what's closer if all else fails.
  • If you feel uncomfortable about going to a tournament, try talking to people that you know that has been to an event to see what to expect.
  • Be open-minded. If you're open-minded & don't alienate yourself with other players, then you will make a lot more friends than you already expect when you go to one. Be willing to introduce yourself also.
  • If you have any questions about a character, how to approach the game better, or even need help in general, ask around. There will always be players there that know about the game/games & can help you & your game.
  • Do not let what you see online discourage you from going to an event. Online is online. It's the internet. Dumb things happen on the internet. All of the nonsense is out the window offline.
  • Don't let your losses discourage you either. It's a part of learning. You lose before you start winning. You level up a lot faster offline than you would being online for like 4 weeks. You have to be willing to take your bruises & bumps if you want to take your game there. It's a part of learning. The more you go. the more you learn & the better you'll get.
  • Bring your own controller & accessories. This is why you see people with bags around their back. Because either they're filled with snacks, controllers, medicine (headache pills, allergy meds etc). Only you know what's comfortable to your hands which is why it's preferred to bring your own controller. No one else.
  • Use the characters that you KNOW that you're comfortable with. You're only messing yourself up if you try to play a bunch of characters that you're not good with to play, yet.
  • There is more to going to events than competing. Some people go to just hang out, have fun, & enjoy the weekend. You don't have to be good at the game to make friends or have a good time. You have fun regardless. There is a difference between a personal level & a competitive level. You can just go & show some love to people. Even get to go to a place to eat, hang out, & talk with others when you & they are not participating.

Last edited:

UncleBiscuits79

So, my biggest problem with getting to tournaments is the fact that none of them seem to occur in the midwest. I am always surprised that majors don't occur near the Chicago area, given that it's the third largest city in the USA. KIT seems to be the closest major to me, but it's still a 9 hour drive for me. Any other major would require a plane ride. With a wife, kids, and work responsibilities, it seems really hard to drive out across a few states (or worst fly) just for a tournament.

I am at a loss because I would really like to go to one of these, if just to meet and play ACTUAL people with no online lag (I play with family sometimes, but most of my vs play is online). I am not super good at the game and I never expect to win a tournament, but I hear that you pick up a TON of experience, even if you are in the tournament and lose relatively early.

Sometimes I think I will never be able to break away from things enough to get to one of these. Maybe I am too old for this stuff. But I like the game and I like to compete, regardless of the fact that I am not tournament skilled :)

On the other hand, I would like some other ideas on how to support the community if I never make it out to a tournament.

SilverForte

I'm a college student with no income. Between school, family, and religious obligations I don't have the time to get a job either, so going to a tournament atm would have to depend on someone else paying for it tbh.

Now I do plan on getting some work after the semester ends, so hopefully I can make it to some summer or fall events, but the main issue I have which I don't think anyone can resolve is my religious obligations conflicting with scheduled events, which is a shame because I have gone to conventions in the past and I truly miss the times of meeting people in person and having a good time, as I used to do that for the Pokemon TCG.

Basically Friday nights and Saturdays are a no-go, which is when the majority of events take place. Plus I have to bring all my own food, and I need a place to do my daily prayers.

And since I might as well ask it here, is sleeping in your car a possibility at these events? It would be a lot cheaper than a hotel room (ie free)

TheRealCoxinator

I'd love to go to TFC again and actually leave the shadows, but carpool shouldn't be too difficult since I live an hour away. Another problem could just be this. Which exists. Just gunna leave it here.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I do plan on going to Summer Jam (or TFC) and NEC in the future. Right now, I'm trying to get a job first in order to get a car (and pay it off), as well as other things. But at the same time, I try to save money and plan ahead on making it to tournaments. Hell, I've been to TFC in 2013, and Summer Jam last year. I also went to the Filthie Cup (although it's not a major, but a local tournament in Philly), and played on stream.

Point is this: Responsibilities are your first priorities, but you can't let it prevent you for planning ahead for traveling.

And also: we aren't trying to tell everyone that you have to go to EVERY tournament. Just try to go to a major once (compete, have some food/drinks with the community, hang out, play Pac-Man, etc.), and if you enjoyed it, save up for the next one. No pressure.

Last edited:

Allan Paris

So, my biggest problem with getting to tournaments is the fact that none of them seem to occur in the midwest.

Youmacon happens every year up in Michigan, and Michigan Masters is a part of it now, or at least for another year. Then there are Ranbats held there every month. Hoodless and his gf from Illinois come up often to play. Youmacon is a major but the Ranbat is a monthly local tournament that does good numbers for DOA offline.

I post this information on facebook and on FSD. You have Michigan to go to in the midwest for DOA. I believe you are not looking for the stuff. I have been posting this info for the past 2 years. Now that you have this info I look forward to meeting up with you to get some games in.

If the drive is too long to MI for you, see if you can carpool with other IL players. At the very least you can do Youmacon/Michigan Masters which will be coming up this Oct-Nov at the Renaissance Center downtown Detroit.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Youmacon happens every year up in Michigan, and Michigan Masters is a part of it now, or at least for another year. Then there are Ranbats held there every month. Hoodless and his gf from Illinois come up often to play. Youmacon is a major but the Ranbat is a monthly local tournament that does good numbers for DOA offline.

I post this information on facebook and on FSD. You have Michigan to go to in the midwest for DOA. I believe you are not looking for the stuff. I have been posting this info for the past 2 years. Now that you have this info I look forward to meeting up with you to get some games in.

If the drive is too long to MI for you, see if you can carpool with other IL players. At the very least you can do Youmacon/Michigan Masters which will be coming up this Oct-Nov at the Renaissance Center downtown Detroit.
I try to do everyone a favor of posting tournaments on the player map. I actually want to post weekly/monthly tournaments as well.

UncleBiscuits79

Hi Allen, to be honest, I have been browsing this site for just over a year and I have NEVER heard of 'Youmacon' or seen that posted, but again, I don't browse the site every single day. I typically browse the event calendar on FSD and don't remember ever seeing that one (I usually check this so I can catch streams if I can). Mostly when i search for information concerning tourneys, I always see CaliCrush, KIT, WinterBrawl, TFC, NEC, DID, etc. (i.e. the BIG ones).

I wonder if there is just an easier way to just get a list of ALL of the tournaments happening for DOA for, say, a year's time and just go from there. I don't find it very easy to get at information for tournaments that aren't the big ones that I mentioned above. This is especially true if they are not listed on the FSD Events Calendar.

I will check your FB page for more info on more obscure tourneys now that you let me know that you post info on these.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
If you feel like hotel prices are too high, try talking with people around you to see who wants to split one with you. You have to be willing to pitch in. OR you can try finding one close by that's cheaper so that you don't spend as much money to stay there.
Sounds about right.

If you need a ride (carpool), ask someone who is willing to help out. It's always a good thing to offer gas money & dinner to let them know that you appreciate them for letting you ride with them.
You have no idea.

If you know someone close by an event, ask them is it possible to stay with them for that weekend & be willing to help them out the best way that you can.
That's assuming you ask them way in advance.

Set a goal for a trip that you would like to make & be aware of your location. Also known as planning ahead of time. If you can't make the event let's say a California major, then look to see what's closer if all else fails.
Sounds about right.

If you feel uncomfortable about going to a tournament, try talking to people that you know that has been to an event to see what to expect.
More specifically, you should talk to people who haven't won tournaments/placed high nor those who have any special connections to said players who have.

People who win or place high in tournaments will obviously tell you it's a great event... they placed high and got recognition. Of course they're gonna say that! But the real testimony comes from those not caught up in the fame nor having the high-level connections to do so.

Be open-minded. If you're open-minded & don't alienate yourself with other players, then you will make a lot more friends than you already expect when you go to one. Be willing to introduce yourself also.
You call it alienating myself, I call it staying out of harm's way and in my own comfort zone.

The people who actually WANT to be my friend will come around despite this. And that's all I should need. All I gotta do is remind myself of that.

If you have any questions about a character, how to approach the game better, or even need help in general, ask around. There will always be players there that know about the game/games & can help you & your game.
To an extent, I agree with this.

Bring your own controller. Only you know what's comfortable to your hands. No one else.
Finally, something I completely agree with.

Use the characters that you KNOW that you're comfortable with. You're only messing yourself up if you try to play a bunch of characters that you're not good with to play, yet.
That's kinda difficult to do when you're a player that happens to genuinely like playing a character that is considered top/high tier, yet you would play this very character regardless of whether she gets nerfed or not.

I hate to be that guy, but this needs to be said. I don't think using the characters we're comfortable with is the real problem here. I think the mentality of some people in the community regarding players and the characters they use is what actually needs to change. They need to give us players who genuinely love the character they play - regardless of tier - a dad-gummed break... seriously. All this discouraging and disrespect because of who you play is part of the problem.

There is more to going to events than competing. Some people go to just hang out, have fun, & enjoy the weekend. You don't have to be good at the game to make friends or have a good time. You have fun regardless. You can just go & show some love to people.
Good thing I have a few friends I can genuinely have a good time with whether I win or lose, otherwise I would've been caught up in proving myself to the community for life just to gain back the friends I lost. Now I don't have to anymore.

All things considered, there should be one other thing I should add to all this: Conquering your fear of playing on stream in front of an audience, aka, conquering stage fright. 'Cause whether you like it or not, you're gonna have to deal with it someday.

The best way you can do this is to basically expose your replays on Youtube for the community to see, but the real kicker is showing not only your winning matches, but those you lost. Personally, I find uploading close matches (aka matches down to the wire) being the best approach, as opposed to a match that's a complete stomp on one end. The more you're used to the feedback, the better you'll perform in the real thing... or at least stream nerves won't be an excuse, anyway.

Oh, and deodorant... definitely deodorant. People like to be around people who don't have bad odor. @Tempest had this novel idea about pre-registering for a tourney and getting free deodorant at the sign-up booth... or something like that.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Stop, Awesmic now lol.
Even though today is Tuesday, my post is actually serious and based on my own personal observations. Read it carefully, 'cause I don't believe I was being negative.

The shade some people get for picking top-tier characters (or whatever the new character people don't know the matchup for) is real. My recommendation to talk to players who haven't made any big accomplishments during their tourney experience is real, because obviously they're easier to relate to for first-timers. And obviously, that bit about deodorant is real.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Even though today is Tuesday, my post is actually serious and based on my own personal observations. Read it carefully, 'cause I don't believe I was being negative.

The shade some people get for picking top-tier characters (or whatever the new character people don't know the matchup for) is real. My recommendation to talk to players who haven't made any big accomplishments during their tourney experience is real, because obviously they're easier to relate to for first-timers. And obviously, that bit about deodorant is real.

I think a person you're talking about is @Gill Hustle . He does a good job of trying to capture the tournament experience without an emphasis on winning or losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD