We Major - The (constructive) increasing turnout thread

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm in college & I talk to my professors to see what are the upcoming assignment dates & test dates. Then tell them what's going on during those times. When I tell them, they would be more than willing to work around my schedule. You could try that & see if you could work something out. Just be willing to do an assignment ahead of time & turn it in so that you wouldn't get behind.

Tempest

I'd love to go to TFC again and actually leave the shadows, but carpool shouldn't be too difficult since I live an hour away. Another problem could just be this. Which exists. Just gunna leave it here.
Definetely try to make it out to TFC, and don't worry about the anxiety, if you make it out everyone's going to try to make sure you have a great time. Everyone I've met from FSD has been very friendly at helpful at majors.

Oh, and deodorant... definitely deodorant. People like to be around people who don't have bad odor. @Tempest had this novel idea about pre-registering for a tourney and getting free deodorant at the sign-up booth... or something like that.
I seriously think a major should try out attaching the badge to some deodorant and seeing how that works out.

Oh boy, its good to see that I'm not alone. Me, still being in highschool without a dime to my name, this thread is just what I need to get some help going to some major tourneys. Glad to see that I'm not the only one with financial issues...I hate being singled out, ya know?
If you can find a way to get enough money for a bus/train to Charlotte or to anywhere else one of us is carpooling, we'll hook you up.

Kohlrak

This is one of those issues that requires a larger less-than-1-mile--away scene to cultivate. Carpooling is great for that, but only if there are people to carpool. Entry fees can be pooled, as well. If the issue isn't desire, obligations (me), or something else unavoidable, then the issue must be getting there and paying the entry. IMO this is most easily accomplished by working with people less than 1 mile of you (because those people can walk to your place, you can sit there and have offline matches to get better, but most importantly you and those other buddies can get in a car, truck, or van together and pay gas/friends to get there and get a hotel room). If hotel rooms are expensive, we need a way to find the cheapest ones.

Easier said than done, but it'll be alot easier if the game can be made more appealing on the ground (as in, outside of those who watch tournaments). To build the tournaments up without need of big donators, we need to build the game itself up, and let 1 thing lead to another.

KokobaeBeAKilla

This is one of those issues that requires a larger less-than-1-mile--away scene to cultivate. Carpooling is great for that, but only if there are people to carpool. Entry fees can be pooled, as well. If the issue isn't desire, obligations (me), or something else unavoidable, then the issue must be getting there and paying the entry. IMO this is most easily accomplished by working with people less than 1 mile of you (because those people can walk to your place, you can sit there and have offline matches to get better, but most importantly you and those other buddies can get in a car, truck, or van together and pay gas/friends to get there and get a hotel room). If hotel rooms are expensive, we need a way to find the cheapest ones.

Easier said than done, but it'll be alot easier if the game can be made more appealing on the ground (as in, outside of those who watch tournaments). To build the tournaments up without need of big donators, we need to build the game itself up, and let 1 thing lead to another.
I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to be able to get myself to a tourney, even if it means paying for others when I don't have the funds to go myself. As long as it helps the DOA community grow, I'm all for it.

Malfury

I know about the guys I work with on my base, but I wonder if there are other maintainers in the FGC that don't have too much trouble going to tournaments. My ONLY issue is time and sometimes distance. Alot of times when we get time off, we are only allowed to be gone for up to 8 hours away from base. And because of the nature of our job on our base (nuke base), taking leave is a huge pain in the ass and hard to get established.

So if there are any maintainers out there who can shed some light for me on how I can break away from this black hole or some directives I can read, I'd be happy.

Kohlrak

I know about the guys I work with on my base, but I wonder if there are other maintainers in the FGC that don't have too much trouble going to tournaments. My ONLY issue is time and sometimes distance. Alot of times when we get time off, we are only allowed to be gone for up to 8 hours away from base. And because of the nature of our job on our base (nuke base), taking leave is a huge pain in the ass and hard to get established.

So if there are any maintainers out there who can shed some light for me on how I can break away from this black hole or some directives I can read, I'd be happy.

Depending on the number of participants, it may or may not become practical to make a nearby location a locale for a tournament.

VC_Migs

i really support this community page and i can relate to this post. cause we all live in our busy lives doing whats right. we may have financial problems,jobs to work in and family to take care. i used to compete in two tournaments back in 2009 when SF4 debuted here. i watched all the DOA Tourneys from every stream i follow and i know half of the top DOA players. they talked about me competing ETC (East Coast Throwdown) which i havent yet but pretty soon i will. when i have time will compete again.

EternalDragon

Im not from the US, but i went to my 1st DOA5 tournament in the UK at Sakura Fight Festa. I had the same reasons as others for not going, not being good enough, studying at Uni, not having money because im a student

But i wanted to support the scene and FG's in general, so i promoted the events even by sharing stream links, Tournament trailers in FG Facebook groups

But when i finished Uni and got a job, i eliminated 2 of those reasons and i said right im doing it. If i want FG's to grow and the community to grow i need to do more than just watch a stream. If there's things stopping me from going then im going to eliminate them, im not going to make excuses anymore. I said Im going to my 1st tournament. I may not be good enough but ah well, the worst is i lose at a fighting game, big deal.

The result, i had such an amazing day, met great people and good players, learnt a lot about the game, even while getting Greated lol 3 times, and i got 3rd place. Was a great weekend and il be going to more when i can.

To all those people on the fence, i was once you. All i have to say is.

Just do it man.

887587_797987610279783_5762481612992020436_o.jpg

TheRealCoxinator

Im not from the US, but i went to my 1st DOA5 tournament in the UK at Sakura Fight Festa. I had the same reasons as others for not going, not being good enough, studying at Uni, not having money because im a student

But i wanted to support the scene and FG's in general, so i promoted the events even by sharing stream links, Tournament trailers in FG Facebook groups

But when i finished Uni and got a job, i eliminated 2 of those reasons and i said right im doing it. If i want FG's to grow and the community to grow i need to do more than just watch a stream. If there's things stopping me from going then im going to eliminate them, im not going to make excuses anymore. I said Im going to my 1st tournament. I may not be good enough but ah well, the worst is i lose at a fighting game, big deal.

The result, i had such an amazing day, met great people and good players, learnt a lot about the game, even while getting Greated lol 3 times, and i got 3rd place. Was a great weekend and il be going to more when i can.

To all those people on the fence, i was once you. All i have to say is.

Just do it man.

View attachment 9397
Unintentional Nike product placement.

NAPPY PROPHET

Standard Donor
You know, during that conversation, I kind of just sat there and figured that this conversation happened before. It's clear that certain tournaments are known as THE tournaments for DOA5, those imo being Summer Jam, TFC, SoCal Regionals, and NEC. I think with Battle Royal, it was good that Team Ninja released a schedule ahead of time. That helps people who might have financial troubles or work schedules plan out their funds and what days to take off. What a lot of people don't understand is that a lot of the players that do make it out are in college, have a job, have children, have bills, and other life responsibilities. Of course not everyone is going to go to EVERY tournament and you don't have to go out to every one, but everyone can at least make it out to one. Hell, the main reason I was able to attend Final Round was because I saved my money and since a large group of people went, the hotel cost wasn't as much as I thought it was and I actually left with quite a bit of money left over, since food wasn't too expensive either.

However, the reality is also this: people who keep making excuses are the ones who simply do not have the passion to come out. Those are not the people we should be targeting, just like the OP stated. The people that we need to target are those who were like me, afraid to come offline and meet the players because of what they see online. Final Round definitely shattered that fear for me, because the offline community is like a passionate family who just wants their baby to grow and succeed like the big kids (aka the SFs, the Marvels, the Tekkens, etc) and keep a thriving community. People in the community are not afraid to help out if they can, especially if you need a place to stay or need food to eat.

Also, people should keep in mind that you do not always have to attend the bigger and more expensive events. For example, MWC is happening in May and it is significantly cheaper than some of the more bigger events, like TFC and NEC. MWC is like $20 for pre-registration and $10 per game and hotels in Nashville, TN are affordable the more people share a room.

So as you can see, if you truly do care about DOA and want to truly enjoy the game the way it's meant to be played, then a tournament setting is definitely the way to go. It's not even about just competing and playing to win, it's more about connection with the community offline and what goes AFTER the tournament is what makes the experience worthwhile. People can seem intimidating online, which is to be expected because not everyone knows if people are serious or joking online, but once you go offline and connect with the community, you'll see just how different it is and how much better it is actually to be around people who are passionate about the game and will travel out in order to compete, share tech, and hang out.

There is a major coming to New Jersey in June. So North East guys can at least make this one. I will be there with my brothers and nephews.

Red dragon

My take on getting to an offline tournament:

1. money, you cannot do anything without money but you can save a dollar here and a dollar there and in about 6 months, you can fund your way to a tournament (depending on location).

2. you can collaborate with some of the other online people and organize carpool. What i did was i got together with a few online buddies and came to an agreement on who would pay for gas, who was driving, what car, etc. It never hurts to ask around whether it be on here or friends offline you may have in the area.

3. in terms of housing, its easier and cheaper if you can crash at someone's place who actually lives close to the tournament vs getting a hotel. if you have to hotel, get about 3 others to stay with you and the hotel will be cheap for you too.

4. as for controllers, if you don't want to shell for an amazing controller, just bring your own from home (as long it is allowed in the tourney rules). I always just brought the one i had from home.

5. as for close by events, the closest DOA event for me would be around the Nashville area (i stay close to memphis). i just got a new job not too long back and i don't want to cause any headaches by asking for days off already.

speaking of which, is there anything coming up this summer thats close by? I need to get my hands on a ps4 controller if i was to go to an event.

Kohlrak

My take on getting to an offline tournament:

1. money, you cannot do anything without money but you can save a dollar here and a dollar there and in about 6 months, you can fund your way to a tournament (depending on location).

2. you can collaborate with some of the other online people and organize carpool. What i did was i got together with a few online buddies and came to an agreement on who would pay for gas, who was driving, what car, etc. It never hurts to ask around whether it be on here or friends offline you may have in the area.

3. in terms of housing, its easier and cheaper if you can crash at someone's place who actually lives close to the tournament vs getting a hotel. if you have to hotel, get about 3 others to stay with you and the hotel will be cheap for you too.

4. as for controllers, if you don't want to shell for an amazing controller, just bring your own from home (as long it is allowed in the tourney rules). I always just brought the one i had from home.

5. as for close by events, the closest DOA event for me would be around the Nashville area (i stay close to memphis). i just got a new job not too long back and i don't want to cause any headaches by asking for days off already.

speaking of which, is there anything coming up this summer thats close by? I need to get my hands on a ps4 controller if i was to go to an event.

I never throught of controllers being an issue. Wouldn't there be ones there?

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I never throught of controllers being an issue. Wouldn't there be ones there?
It is when you have a preference. Like if you don't bring one, sure, there would be plenty of people that would let you borrow their's when they're not playing, but you may prefer a certain platform pad. If this is the case, then you may no have a choice since it's not a 100% guarantee that you're going to find people who play on the same pad as you at that given time (assuming that the people who play with the same pad are playing or off playing another game).

Or an arcade stick. If you bring your own (or a converter along with it), there's no issue. Only you know what's comfortable to your hands. So that's why it's recommended.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD