What got you interested in dead or alive in the beginning

Princeofhalcyon

With all the "controversy" popping up everytime a new game comes out, and all the backlash this series gets, ive just been wondering why people bother getting into the games to begin with if they're so easily offended, and dead or alive has always been the way it is now since game 2, it's nothing new if a pretty girl (or guy) is on screen. But even tournament players are complaining about the costumes, (not the males costumes of course which is a whole nother discussion... ) so im curious, what got everyone into wanting to play this series? Im not in the slightest convinced its just costumes drawing people in or keeping them away, its never hurt or helped street fighter.

Forgot to post my own reason, while eye candy and silly physics to laugh at are a nice part of the series, i first got into the game when i saw a youtube video of kasumi and ayane fighting on a bridge in dead or alive 4, im very picky about fighters so i never even liked mortal kombat or street fighter, and i didn't want any games that let you jump or throw projectiles and frankly its pretty boring just to watch, and dead or alive looked like it had everything id ever want in a fighter, 3D environments, cool characters, smooth animation, no projectiles no jumping, no magic powers (mostly) just straight up hand to hand fighting styles, though i didn't have the means to get it until 5 had already came out, and boy was it frustrating how tough the A.I seemed, like they auto countered even if they werent using the right counter for the move i was using, heck maybe it was that way, but after getting used to it, and see how much they improved it in ultimate, im a total fan of (almost) all the characters goofy or serious, and no controversial walls between two cultures would ever stop me from playing ^_^ from an artist that will literally be interested in a game just because its beautiful, i can say that eye candy alone is not enough to keep peoples interest for long, thats another reason i dont believe thats the only reason people play this series.

Last edited:

P2p1mbs

I first heard of DOA after borrowing a copy of the xbox ninja gaiden from a friend (I bought it from him after since I didnt want to give it back) as well as a demo of ultimate from an OXN bonus disc and when I learned that Ryu was a character in DOA, I went and got a copy of DOA3 and became hooked in the series ever since. My cousin, who got into NG after playing it on my xbox bought his own and got into DOA for the exact same reason.

While it was playing as Ryu that got me interested, it was when I borrowed a copy of DOAXBV from another friend that got me most interested so for me, I came due to NG and stayed for the girls...

DedUp

I was heavily drawn to the interactive stages since no other fighting game really does them like DOA. The whole thing with boob physics and sexy costumes is a nice distraction but doesn't really have anything to do with my interest in the series.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Cover story of Official Dreamcast Mag's Jan 2000 issue. The article and screens were amazing well put together and showed you the flow of the match. It did a really good job of selling me on the game and DOA2 came out a few months later. I would love to experience that game again for the first time.

SilverForte

I actually got doa3 for the original xbox a long long time ago, was very impressed with the visuals and gameplay. As someone who came from tekken 3 I couldn't believe what I was seeing, never stopped playing since.

UpSideDownGRUNT

If you don't think people complain about male costumes, you've clearly never seen my endless rants about Ein being sexualized like a joke...

ANYWAY; I got into DOA because of 3 reasons.... Ein, Jann Lee and Izuna Drops. They just looked so amazing at the time and my god Ein was a badass in DOA2.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
First of all, I don't fully agree with what the OP said. Yes, Dead or Alive was always sexy but just since DOAX2 it has reached levels that are imho rightfully controversial and even for me as a long time fan hard to defend sometimes. Now DOAX3 is coming and it might fully ruin what's left of DOA's reputation. It being only released in Japan might do at least some damage control though. Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo seem to be at least aware of that themselves.
Now, what got me into DOA:
When I was younger I never had a Playstation but always Nintendo consoles. I used to buy and collect video game magazines like crazy though and when DOA2 came out for the PS2 it cought my eye in several of these magazines. I thought the game looked amazing and fast and martial arts seemed so grown up and cool to me at that time (no wonder, I only played Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong). Also Kasumi seemed so hot and dangerous...I had a slight crush. XD I didn't know back then that she was such a soft, even apologetic character. ;) I imagined her being harder and more badass. XD
Since then I always wanted to play a real fighting game like DOA and my first one was finally Bloody Roar Primal Fury on the Gamecube. It was alright...but it couldn't compare to DOA. I think DOA3 was already out at that time and it looked so much better. Bloody Roar was only a substitute.
My second fighting game was Soul Calibur 2 on the Gamecube which was already a significant step up from Bloody Roar. I loved SC2 and since then the Soul Calibur series.
Just a few years later I finally scraped all of my hard earned money together and I finally did it, I bought an Xbox and with it DOA3. I still remember when I finally got to play DOA3. It was heaven and it was SO worth all the waiting and hype that I built up over the years. *__* Thank God that I wasn't disappointed, that would have been devastating! XD But it was everything and it played so easy, fast and fluid and looked so gorgeous and it had that amazing cinematic spectator mode that I since then don't want to miss in any fighting game...and still only DOA gives it to me though. Also the DOA girls were the most beautiful in all of gaming. ;)
Since DOA3 I bought every DOA and every console a new DOA arrived on. The Playstation 4 (my first Playstation) I also just bought to have the best experience of DOA5 Last Round. Yeah, that's my little story... :)

Last edited:

Princeofhalcyon

I first heard of DOA after borrowing a copy of the xbox ninja gaiden from a friend (I bought it from him after since I didnt want to give it back) as well as a demo of ultimate from an OXN bonus disc and when I learned that Ryu was a character in DOA, I went and got a copy of DOA3 and became hooked in the series ever since. My cousin, who got into NG after playing it on my xbox bought his own and got into DOA for the exact same reason.

While it was playing as Ryu that got me interested, it was when I borrowed a copy of DOAXBV from another friend that got me most interested so for me, I came due to NG and stayed for the girls...

Sounds like a nice story to me, that says you stayed for the characters, which is always a valid reason to be into something :) even if its obvious the characters are sexy, if you don't even like them that doesn't matter, at least it seems that way to me, i personally don't like christie or rachel because of their personalities so i don't even like watching them fight, which i guess is a shame since they're considered top tier characters here :p

If you don't think people complain about male costumes, you've clearly never seen my endless rants about Ein being sexualized like a joke...

ANYWAY; I got into DOA because of 3 reasons.... Ein, Jann Lee and Izuna Drops. They just looked so amazing at the time and my god Ein was a badass in DOA2.

I guess i haven't, its complicated if that makes me happy or upset,lol the biggest focus is always agains't women and sexuality as a joke only seems to work with men for most people, like a man being gay is supposed to be funny? and is used a lot as a joke in sitcoms, but when a womans gay it just becomes a purely sexual thing for people, definitely not the case for everything, but it does seem like the majority, anyway, those are good reasons :)

First of all, I don't fully agree with what the OP said. Yes, Dead or Alive was always sexy but just since DOAX2 it has reached levels that are imho rightfully controversial and even for me as a long time fan hard to defend sometimes. Now DOAX3 is coming and it might fully ruin what's left of DOA's reputation. It being only released in Japan might do at least some damage control though. Team Ninja/Koei Tecmo seem to be at least aware of that themselves.
Now, what got me into DOA:
When I was younger I never had a Playstation but always Nintendo consoles. I used to buy and collect video game magazines like crazy though and when DOA2 came out for the PS2 it cought my eye in several of these magazines. I thought the game looked amazing and fast and martial arts seemed so grown up and cool to me at that time (no wonder, I only played Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong). Also Kasumi seemed so hot and dangerous...I had a slight crush. XD I didn't know back then that she was such a soft, even apologetic character. ;) I imagined her being harder and more badass. XD
Since then I always wanted to play a real fighting game like DOA and my first one was finally Bloody Roar Primal Fury on the Gamecube. It was alright...but it couldn't compare to DOA. I think DOA3 was already out at that time and it looked so much better. Bloody Roar was only a substitute.
My second fighting game was Soul Calibur 2 on the Gamecube which was already a significant step up from Bloody Roar. I loved SC2 and since then the Soul Calibur series.
Just a few years later I finally scraped all of my hard earned money together and I finally did it, I bought an Xbox and with it DOA3. I still remember when I finally got to play DOA3. It was heaven and it was SO worth all the waiting and hype that I built up over the years. *__* Thank God that I wasn't disappointed, that would have been devastating! XD But it was everything and it played so easy, fast and fluid and looked so gorgeous and it had that amazing cinematic spectator mode that I since then don't want to miss in any fighting game...and still only DOA gives it to me though. Also the DOA girls were the most beautiful in all of gaming. ;)
Since DOA3 I bought every DOA and every console a new DOA arrived on. The Playstation 4 (my first Playstation) I also just bought to have the best experience of DOA5 Last Round. Yeah, that's my little story... :)

Well for me, i feel like its reputation will stay the same, from anyone who's used to japanese games and animation in general and how they've progressed its nothing new at all, it may definitely be that way for people who aren't used to it, but it should be that way with everything from different countries. i mean looking at that shadow the hedgehog game can tell you that thats the impression the developers in japan had on what america was like then based on information and media from it at the time, all about fast action and guns and war and angst, but that doesn't just make america 100% full of people that just want that, hence the game bombed,lol but anyway the same can be said for games and stuff from japan, they'll give off an impression of just being a bunch of pervy material made for men by men, but some may be shocked if they learned how much stuff is actually made by women that you wouldn't think was, like bayonetta, she was designed by a woman, and inuyasha, and the hyperdimension neptunia series also made by a women, and even kodomo no jikan, a show anyone would assume was just made by the biggest pedophile man in the country, and i feel like that changes how people view things, so thats just a thing in japanese culture, bathing scenes may just seem like fanservice in other countries, and sometimes it is, but in japan bathing is just a typical past time and common thing people do not just for getting clean but to relax, even kids shows have them like pokemon and digimon, so its not always a sexual thing, and sexual things like bouncing boobs are supposed to be humorous most times and people not familiar with the culture just dont find it that way, like when someone sneezes after being insulted, a LOT of shows have done that to death, theres even a whole naked festival in japan. So anyway i see your point in how games like that can ruin the image of something else but that image is everywhere, if someone isnt used to it or doesn't like it, theres a good chance they'd never play these games to begin with likely, so i wouldn't worry about reputation, especially if you've seen the costumes they've banned or "softbanned" some dont make any sense.

DOA3, enough said.

wow people really liked 3 huh? first one i saw was 4 on youtube once, kasumi and ayane were fighting on a bridge i think i was like "hopy crap what game is this?" it was just so cool, though id already seen some images of games in game informer magazines, but i never gave em much notice cause i was just a typical nintendo playing kid then, didnt actually get dead or alive until 5 had come out, boy did i suck :)

I was heavily drawn to the interactive stages since no other fighting game really does them like DOA. The whole thing with boob physics and sexy costumes is a nice distraction but doesn't really have anything to do with my interest in the series.

Yeah they are nice, even if everyone doesn't see silly boob physics as funny as most of japan does, the games still deep and in my opinion has the best fighting system ever, i am picky about fighters though, ive never liked street fighter and MK when i did play em, so im sure a lot would disagree

Last edited by a moderator:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Dead or alive Dimensions was what got me into the series, but only the demo. In it you could choose Hitomi, Ryu, Jann lee, and kasumi, and it was Kasumi's presence that intrigued me the most and got me into the series. DOA5 Core fighters was my very first DOA that I could actually play, and then I bought DOA4, The ultimate version of DOA1U and DOA2U, and then lastly the third, which was my least favorite. DOA2U was my favorite in terms of content, and DOA4 was also one I enjoyed, aside from the clunky and random game play and the AI that eats you up on a whim.

Princeofhalcyon

Dead or alive Dimensions was what got me into the series, but only the demo. In it you could choose Hitomi, Ryu, Jann lee, and kasumi, and it was Kasumi's presence that intrigued me the most and got me into the series. DOA5 Core fighters was my very first DOA that I could actually play, and then I bought DOA4, The ultimate version of DOA1U and DOA2U, and then lastly the third, which was my least favorite. DOA2U was my favorite in terms of content, and DOA4 was also one I enjoyed, aside from the clunky and random game play and the AI that eats you up on a whim.

wow thats the first ive heard of someone not liking 3, based on all the other responses i assumed it was like the final fantasy 7 of doa. though i say that i liked ff 6 better :)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Princeofhalcyon, oh my, did you just do a quintuple post? O: That must be some kind of record! In the future try to put everything in one single post, to not irritate the moderators. While writing a post you can quote multiple times and it will automatically be added to the reply window. Now quickly hide or Selena Gomez will get you. ;)

tumblr_mdw6qsbjLS1r2edti.gif

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
wow thats the first ive heard of someone not liking 3, based on all the other responses i assumed it was like the final fantasy 7 of doa. though i say that i liked ff 6 better :)
Don't get me wrong, DOA3 was a great game, it was just a bit.....should I say dark for taste? The stages didn't seem to have the lively feel I like best, they were very detailed but it felt much less vibrant than say DOA4 and DOA2U. The lack of costumes also kind of turned me off from it, and I have a hard drive emulator on 360, so it runs really sluggish and that made me lose interest in playing it. I did like the more serious tone for the characters though, and Kasumi's ponytail length in this game was great:oops:(Don't judge me, I'm just a long hair fetishist). The snow stage and the aquarium were also awesome stages too.

Giannola

wow people really liked 3 huh?

First doa I can remember playing was 3. My cousin got an Xbox early on and it was kind of a must have Xbox game, as there wasn't many 3d fighters on Xbox. Tekken tag and vf4 console ports were exclusive to ps2. So I played it at my cousins house, and The game blew my little mind too, as doa 3 looked and played amazing compared to those games, imo. The stages and transitions were awesome, and the fighting was fast and smooth. I think the stage transitions probably impressed me more than the outfits/character models. And the stages were beautiful as well.

Maybe relevant to the question of sexualization is that doa3 didn't have many outlandish outfits (especially compared to 5), was rated t (in America anyway), and had a male character on the cover (the first U.S. run anyway, I think it was re-released with Christie on the cover later)

Macca Beam

What got you interested in dead or alive in the beginning
Why yes, it's the tits, thighs and asses of course.

Later on I stayed for the VF-like control layout (I like not having to deal with 30 punch buttons and 40 kick buttons, thank you very much) and the fact that it isn't a series heavy on memorization or execution (it's great not having to relearn everything whenever I pick the game back up after a long break).

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

I merged all of your posts. Use the Edit function and don't so much as double post. What you just did was absurd. The only reason I'm not going to issue any warning points is because I'm blown away that someone would create five different quote replies back to back before they noticed they could just hit quote on more than one post at a time. Don't let it happen again.

My reason is simply that I played DoA3 with a friend back in the day and loved it. Jann Lee was the first character I played in my usual play-through-story-with-everyone ritual with fighting games. I quickly noticed Hayabusa, however, and that was that. I was aware of the series and had tried them before but never played seriously until the Xbox release.

Princeofhalcyon

@Princeofhalcyon, oh my, did you just do a quintuple post? O: That must be some kind of record! In the future try to put everything in one single post, to not irritate the moderators. While writing a post you can quote multiple times and it will automatically be added to the reply window. Now quickly hide or Selena Gomez will get you. ;)

tumblr_mdw6qsbjLS1r2edti.gif

i did? guess it was by accident, i like to reply to everyone i can so i dont just leave people hanging or seem snudy, new to the site though, so thanks for telling me

gamemaster14

I think for me it was back when the official playstation magazine ran a preview or review on the original game released for the system. It wasn't until some time later, I had saw the game in the list for the store Funcoland. I asked the guys there what the game was like and they told me "It's kinda like tekken, but not as good" so I ended up not buying it.

Not too long later, I saw a copy on display in a KB toy store in the local mall for like $17 and didn't think twice and figured I would give the game a chance.

If I recall correctly sometime between first hearing and purchasing the game I had heard about the crazy breast physics of the game and the main reason I bought the game was curiosity about that and just general curiosity about how the game played since they guys at Funcoland had let their opinions get in the way of a sale.

When I played it, I was instantly hooked, The fluid combos and easy to pickup gameplay were what had really hooked me on the series, sure the good looking female characters and the whole bounce thing was a plus but the game play was what made DOA, my main fighting series.

It wasn't too long after that, I had found out it was released only in japan for Sega Saturn and that it was a different game compared to the Playstation version. A good friend of mine had let me know that the Memory Card Plus would enable imports and sure enough playing this alternate version only fueled the first that was my interest in the game.

I had heard of doa2 on dreamcast but never picked up that system until years later, but I purchased my ps2 for doa2, xbox for doa3 and Xbox 360 for doa4, so basically I tend to go where the series goes if its exclusive. I had even had picked up a 3ds since I knew doa dimensions was coming out. (quite a bit after launch)

Of course now a days I picked up a good deal of the import versions of the games to see differences in some of the versions and even the early arcade releases. I even have both doax3 games preordered now.

Gurimmjaw

Lets see here....

Well when I first got the Xbox I needed a few games for it. 2 games came with the xbox at the time Jet Set Radio Future and some racing game so wanted to pick out another game and saw Dead or Alive 3 and thought "hey that guy on the cover looks awesome" so I went in and bought it. At that time the only fighting game I was playing was the Mortal Kombat games and wanted to try other fighters out so I went in and tried Dead or Alive out. And it was a great experience playing this and making my friends rage on it with the characters I used. Dead or Alive 3 is easily my favorite DoA game will probably always remain that way.

Though I was aware of DoA's existence at the time when DoA3 was out. So what got me really interested in the series? Well one thing it is a fighting game based on real martial arts how awesome is that? Another reason is because of Jann Lee since I love my Bruce Lee type fighting game characters and being a huge Bruce Lee fan. Another reason is well for the sexy women with ass and tits and ain't afraid to admit this was also a reason. So these are the three things that made me get into the series.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD