What was your first Dead or Alive game and what did you initially think of the series?

Wingman

Overall, I just saw DOA1 as a fun, fast, 3D fighting game. Then I played DOA2H on the PS2 and was so impressed with how far the game has gone in terms of graphics and mechanics.

The jump from DOA1 to DOA2 was pretty incredible. I was hooked on DOA2 for many years.

NobleBlend

I started with DoaD on the 3DS it ended up being my most played game with 300+ hours...until Pokemon XY came around. I really liked being able to knock the other fighters into other arenas to continue fighting and how smooth it all was. Also I love costumes and DOA has plenty of that lol.

RJTM1991

Standard Donor
Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast, was blown away by the graphics, and the soundtrack was amazing as well. It felt better than any other fighting game I'd played.

I was pretty young too, so never really got far, but it was a start.

Xernuht

First game? DOA5, mostly because I actually knew about the series and it had finally come to the Sony market.

First exposure? The movie. It was bad, but the concept of a fighter not dominated by super-muscly men was appealing. So I checked out DOA4 on YouTube. I appreciated the gameplay, but I found the character design atrocious. After playing SC5 somewhat religiously and spending some time being terrible at Tekken, I gained an appreciation for competitive fighting gaming. At literally the perfect time, DOA5 dropped in. Character models revamped to look like somewhat real people, the addition of Power Blows... pretty much the footage of the Alpha demo sealed the deal, with Rig and Mila sweetening it.

DOA also got me into VF, and introduced me to people who can teach me how to Tekken/UNIEL/probably GG... if I would just drag myself away from the two I can play.

gamemaster14

(NOTE: For the R-Rated version, send a PM)

My first DOA game was the original Model 2 arcade game. Played it at a 2-story arcade building called Boomer's located in Florida, and it was being displayed on a rather large screen. Many of the other games I wanted to play were occupied, and I wasn't eager to play my sister in Sonic the Fighters.

My initial reaction to this was that it was something of a Virtua Fighter clone, but not as over-the-top as Fighting Vipers. The game felt just right to me on terms of accessibility. Ironically, I did not play the females in the game at the start, but played Gen Fu. I was most intrigued at the idea of a Danger Zone and the idea of everyone having the use of holds like Pai Chan from VF at the time.

Along with Vampire Savior, I had more than enough motivation to go on my first big investment on an import console. Since then, DOA has been high on my radar.
Unfortunately I never played any of the doa games in an actual arcade. I have only since played the arcade games due to emulation and of coursr purchasing the hardware. It would have been amazing to play the game back when it first came out.

system11

Standard Donor
DOA, drawn to it by the counter system which is why I don't like how they've nerfed counters more and more. I own the arcade version of DOA++ and still play it from time to time.

Pictured Mind

It was in the late DOA 5 days. I was pretty bored of whatever I was playing at the time so I decided to buy a new game. I walked into the store and saw this game called "Dead or Alive 5" on sale, and it had some free dlc with it too. Took a look at the case and was like "this game looks pretty good." Then I bought it.

Looking back at it, I never expected to like the series this much, and didn't expect to be a part of a community (both online and offline) at all. Of course, I'm glad I am.

deiteu

I started with DOA2 on the Dreamcast, I was like 9 then. I heard of it when it was coming out from the magazines and stuff and my dad bought it for us along with a load of other Dreamcast games when he was on holiday. Sadly it was the shitty North American version...

Wasn't really a big fan of it, it looked amazing but for some reason everything was already unlocked for me plus I was confused how to play it. And it didn't help that I really loved SC1 at that time. It took me a while to get into. I got DOA3 on Xbox later on and got the following games later...

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
My first exposure to DOA took place at a local arcade near my high school (when those kind of places still existed in Canada...) and my eye caught sight of an arcade cabinet labeled: Dead or Alive 2: Millenium Edition.

Naturally I gave a glance to the colourful looking demos on display featuring gorgeous-looking multi-tiered stages and character models. Basically no fighting game had anywhere near the level of detail or quality to their stages like DOA2 had done so my interest was definitely piqued and decided to pony up the $0.25 required to play the game.

I selected the story mode and was treated to little cute pre-fight cutscenes followed by one-round matches. I kept making it to Tengu and always getting my ass-handed to me. 'Bitch kept countering everything', I thought to myself and before I knew it, I was dumping a shitload of quarters into the machine lol. Though, it didn't help that all I did was mashing P+K~ with Ayane because I thought her spinning was epic LOL. Couple that with the big bow on her back and my degenerate teenage self was sold :oops:! I also mashed PPP with Jann Lee & KKKK with Zack, because... Buttons.

At a local game store, I caught a glimpse of a PS2 game that read DOA2: Hardcore on the cover of the case with a mostly black & teal colour scheme. 'That couldn't be what I think it is, could it?' I then looked at back of the case and was delighted to see that it was indeed a console version of DOA2! I didn't hesitate and picked it up and haven't looked back since. I didn't really learn how to play until DOA5 though, just... Buttons at the time LOL!

My first Dead or Alive game was DOA3, on the original Xbox. I don't know what it was, but my young self loved every bit of it. I spent hours on end beating the game with every character just to unlock the ending movie. It is also where I fell in love with Hitomi when she was actually pretty bad ass, and more of a serious character. Instead of the more kawaii version that she is today.

I did play DOA2 Ultimate, though I think I only rented it. I still had fun with it, but didn't play it as much as 3. I actually need to pick up a copy of this game for collections sake.

I then played DOA4, I spent a lot of time playing it as well, but it always just felt worse than 3 for some reason. I can't really explain why, I just wasn't feeling it very much.

Next up Dead or Alive Dimensions. Being hyped for DOA5, I bought this to hold me over, and I actually played a lot more of it than I originally thought I would. It was actually a pretty amazing game.

Somewhere after finishing DOA: Dimensions, I picked up DOA2: Hardcore on PS2, and then very shortly after that DOA1 on PS1. DOA2 was pretty fun, I wish I would have played it when I was younger. DOA1 was...just alright. It feels like more of a game to have for collector's purposes more so than anything else. Speaking of collecting, I'd like to pick up DOA1 on Sega Saturn, and DOA2 on Dreamcast.

Last but not least we go into DOA5, I played DOA5 for a good while, I enjoyed it quite a bit. So much so that I burnt myself out on it. Which caused me to skip DOA5U. I've started playing Last Round now, and I'm once again enjoying it. I'm just trying to moderate myself more so I don't feel that complete burn out. lol

I've also played the Xtreme games. Even without the ridiculous fan service, I found both of the games to actually be pretty fun, and addicting. I'd be all for DOA Xtreme 3! Make it happen! Also...I wouldn't mind a Ninja Gaiden esque DOA game. 3D hack and slash/ beat em up. That'd be pretty cool if you ask me! lol

Last edited:

KrubbMeister

my first doa was 4 just a couple of days after the launch, it was over at my neighbours house and i had some(tekken 3 at another friends house) fighting game experience. I remember disliking tekken because i was never able to do combos at that point but in doa i was quick to understand the triangle system and thus it was the first fighting game i truly learned to play proper. The beautiful stages and explosions everywhere were amazing. And i have been playing on and off since.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
My first contact with doa was when doa4 was new and was being demoed in the local gamestop. I picked Hayabusa since i recognized him from ninja gaiden (NES and OG xbox.) I played against my brother and i spammed RT all the time, i lost of course.

My second contact was with the kinda good movie. It was my favorite movie when i was 13-14 because of boobaroos.

And i finally played doa5 when it was free on PS+ since i wanted to try out sixaxis boobs thing. Played through the story mode and played a little online with a friend. And in one lobby i met another swedish player that was nice and learned me to play doa proper.

Been hooked ever since. I have bought the older games and played through them and i enjoy them, but 5 is my favorite.

gamemaster14

My first contact with doa was when doa4 was new and was being demoed in the local gamestop. I picked Hayabusa since i recognized him from ninja gaiden (NES and OG xbox.) I played against my brother and i spammed RT all the time, i lost of course.

My second contact was with the kinda good movie. It was my favorite movie when i was 13-14 because of boobaroos.

And i finally played doa5 when it was free on PS+ since i wanted to try out sixaxis boobs thing. Played through the story mode and played a little online with a friend. And in one lobby i met another swedish player that was nice and learned me to play doa proper.

Been hooked ever since. I have bought the older games and played through them and i enjoy them, but 5 is my favorite.
Being someone who started late in the game, what do you think of the very early games? Just wondering because I get all kinds of reponses to that question from "they are pretty good" to "they are unplayable compared to the new games"

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
Being someone who started late in the game, what do you think of the very early games? Just wondering because I get all kinds of reponses to that question from "they are pretty good" to "they are unplayable compared to the new games"
2 (ultimate on OG xbox) and 3.0 are still very good and i can sometimes pop one of the discs in and play a little now and then.

The beachvolleyball games are abit fun too on a sunday when i'm hungover and i have nothing to do.

1 is too outdated for me to enjoy sadly but i still think it's good for it's time.

4 i don't really like but that's mostly because of alpha 152 :mad:

David Gregg

When I was a kid I saw the DOA2 demo on the dreamcast. I don't think you could actually play it (at least I couldn't figure out how). I was fascinated by the Kasumi clone and her evil laugh. Weird I know but I was 9 so cut me some slack. XD
House of the Dead 2, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and Space Channel 5 (for both my sister and me to play together) took priority however so I actually never got around to playing it. Damn though, the golden years of Sega console games was amazing.

DOA4 was the first game I actually played though. Really liked the characters and playing as Eliot who I felt I could relate to his underdog "apprentice" story and who I was similar in age to at the time (there aren't many younger teenage males in fighting games for some reason).

LightSonic

My first experience playing DOA was with a DOA2 demo for Dreamcast. It was around the time I started gaming and I got a demo disc for Dreamcast that had DOA2 on it. I knew nothing about the series before, so it was the first I heard of it. I really liked the graphics and the gameplay just felt really smooth and different to me when I compared it to Tekken 3 which was the only other fighting game I played a lot back then.

TLEE SAID THIS:

I'm not OG. I was introduced to DOA4 on my uncle's Xbox 360 back in the day. My first impression was, "Damn, this game is hard." I was also an avid Halo fan and played it for the sake of Nicole. I also liked the graphics and thought that it looked pretty phenomenal at the time.

Fun-fact: One of the things that perplexed and fascinated me about the game was whether or not Kasumi wore any underwear underneath her ninja outfit.

KwonJigglypuff

My first game was DOA2 and I was around ten. It was my first experience with a Japanese media. Even before, I never watched Japanese animes on French television and I was not found of violence, action, women or anything. I've always been a well-behaved and overprotected kid.

Cutscenes and dialogues were epic, animations and choregraphies were so cool, even the opening was amazing (I must have watched it at least 100 times). I was young, innocent and not interested in girls, so I never realized that the girls' assets were so unnatural. To me, these girls were just beautiful women having fun.

My mother and brothers never understood why I was so obsessed with that game, they found the roster a bit ridiculous.
I remember a scene from my late childhood where my mother was doing the hoovering while I was playing, and then she saw Bass throwing Lei Fang from the top of Dragon Hills (lol), she stop the vacuum and said "WTF is that ?".

Now that you think about it, it's crazy how parents buy video games to their childs without even looking at the game content.
I played it from 2000 to 2003 (hundreds and hundreds of hours), then my father thew my PS2 in the stairs like Bass with Lei Fang (lol)*.... and I had to wait 10 years, until... Dimensions to play DOA again!

*I was fighting Seymour with Lulu in FFX :(

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
DOA1 arcade...
Look at the tits. lol
Hey this plays like vf, awesome.
Leifang looks cool. Love the ponytail.
Whoa dangerzones!
Havent looked back since.
Now I just want the ponytail back.

TheRealCoxinator

The doa3 and Doa volleyball bundle with the OG xbox. lel tits. Not even 10 but lel. Sweet ninjas. More tits lel. Also I remember christie being on the cover. It was fun to mash and screw around with. Never got serious until I found Core fighters for U.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD