What was your first Dead or Alive game and what did you initially think of the series?

gamemaster14

The doa3 and Doa volleyball bundle with the OG xbox. lel tits. Not even 10 but lel. Sweet ninjas. More tits lel. Also I remember christie being on the cover. It was fun to mash and screw around with. Never got serious until I found Core fighters for U.

Was there a bundle that included DOA3 and DOAX?

gamemaster14

Yep, they weren't in the same case or anything but a game store was sellin it lol.
For a second there I was thinking you were saying it was some sort of console bundle where both games came in the box, that would be the ultimate original xbox bundle.

I know Xbox 360 had both DOA4 and DOAX2 bundles in Japan. I have a pack in asian version of DOA4 with really cool disc and manual art.

Yare Yare

I started with DoA4. Had a great time with it and wasnt really aware how much that game was considered as 80% fanservice, 20% gameplay. I wasn't really good in that game but really loved how smooth everything looked due to the counters and the stages with several areas. I hopped online, usually got my ass handed to me but still continued playing it. I really loved that game despite being bad at it. Had a great time but someday stopped playing it. After getting DoA5 I was a bit suprised how much different it looks. But Im used to it now and decided to get better this time. I still miss the DoA4 lobbys.

mizking

I didn't really care for DOA until I had a 360, I grew up with a PS2 so I had Tekken 5, I did however play DOA 1 and 2 ultimate in demo form, and my narrow mind was like "boobs lmao" then when I got my 360 I got DOA 4 and was obsessed with the series since

KING JAIMY

DOA2U was my first Dead or Alive game. It was actually my dad who brought me into the series, he was playing with a couple of friends and asked me if I wanted to try. 'Okay' I said, and looking through the character screen, the first character I ever played was Jann Lee in his C2. I liked the originality of the fighting system and the stages looked amazing. I've played that game a lot, and ended up being somewhere in the top 20 in the online leaderboards before the online feature of the game was shut down.

At a later point in time I moved on with DOA3. That game was amazing, I have no words for it. Then DOA4. Even though I got progressively better with time, I didn't become one of the top players like ZakkuRye, Offbeat Ninja, members of 'Electrified' and so on. I was never able to surpass S rank in DOA4 myself, and didn't really bother to play the game on a competitive level.

About six (!) years later: DOA5. Played the Alpha demo extensively with my dad, in which you could you Power Blows an endless amount of times xD. Got the full game three days before official release, and again the first character I picked was Jann Lee on the stage Sanctuary. Doing some free training, I realized how much different the game was from all the other DOA's I've played. It was a bit overwhelming for me with all the new features: Power Blows (with which I was familiar already), Critical Bursts, new moves, new stages, new characters, completely different graphics, new character voices for some characters, etc. I sticked with Jann Lee, and then decided to learn Mila, Rig and Kokoro. Dropped Mila in a couple of months. Also looking at the characters I noticed VF characters were there, but I was disappointed with the exclusion of Jacky. All my friends were like: 'Who's Jacky? O_O'

In 2013: DOA5U. Was pretty hyped at first since I heard my favorite NG girl Momiji and favorite VF character Jacky were in. In the end I didn't buy the game day one since I thought it was unfair and cheap from TN to release the same game twice with just some additional features. After two weeks I decided to buy the game and this is actually where it all started for me: I devoted myself to becoming a competitive DOA player. I learnt frame data and as time went by I got the hang of the advanced fundamentals, such as: Punishing (whiff punishing, throw punishing and strike punishing), slow escaping, learning max damage combos, fuzzy guarding, etc.

In 2014 I met Gehaktbal on DOA online and a couple of months later I met Pictured Mind. Still willing to become a better player, we organized an offline session, had very good games and above all: I learned a lot. Fun fact: This was about the point in time when I created my FSD account. Despite having played DOA for so long, I'm only part of FSD for relatively little time. Afterwards I went to an offline tournament, and in 2015 I went to another live tournament.

DOA5LR: All I can say is I'm still learning and improving and I'm enjoying the game even more now that I understand the fundamental mechanics of the game. :)

Darkslay

My first DOA was the first one on the PS1, I have been playing fighting games pretty much since I can remember and at that point in time I was playing Tekken 2 which blew everyone's minds back then even though I had always been more of a 2D guy.

One day dad comes in with this game in his hands and says "hey I got another game we can try out", I remember that cover so well (the one were Kasumi has white hair for some reason) and we started playing it, when it came to the moment of picking our characters, we tought the boob physics were hilarious back then lol, I had always been a Bruce Lee fan. My uncle was too and he even practiced JKD for some years (from him I had watched every movie of his) so I moved over the character select screen and I said (dad this guy is called "Lee") and after I picked him I instantly fell in love, SF had Fei Long and Tekken had Marshall Law but I couldn´t compare them to how Lee struck me as a perfect rendition to the fallen legend.

After that we found out Hayabusa was Ryu from NG and we flipped our shit, haha.

Really fond memories with DOA, back on those days DOA, Tekken 3 and MVC1 (even though that port sucked ass) were almost all I played, I've played every DOA game and even though DOA3 was amazing DOA1 will always be my favorite, can't wait for what the future holds for this series :).

Cheers for this amazing franchise which continues to amaze me regardless of what people or the general media say.

:jannlee: :hayabusa:

Last edited:

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
DOA5, didn't care if it was a bad or good game. All I knew was that I saw Hayabusa in the trailer so I had to buy it.

I remember the first thing I did when the game finished installing (bought digitally) was go into training mode and pick Hayabusa. Just started spamming random buttons and was amazed that Ryu had such cool fighting moves since I was just used to him using weapons all the time in NG, never really seen im in hand to hand combat before.

What really got me into the game was videos of Master playing as Hayabusa in tournies. Would watch that shit like every day during my break at work. It always got me excited because when I searched about Master I found out he was one of the best players and knowing that a Busa is being played in the hands of someone amazing makes me feel good because I love Busa very much (lol sounds gay).

I think I already posted here before but I can't remember but w/e :p

saikyom

Doa on ps1 loooooong ago :)
I started playing it the day the king of our country died ( i'm serious)
never heard about the game before that, and I liked the design (better than tekken) the combos ,i played as kasumi, my favorite track was ayan's and raidou's voice actor was awesome :)

Rieve

DoA on PS1. I believe it was the first game i played with seamless 3d models so that was cool. But that game was hard

Niitris

Dead or Alive 4, very pretty game. Outside of that, didn't think it was anything special but it was good enough to have fun with. Of course this was before knowing how mechanically off it was. Never owned an Xbox of any kind so I wouldn't play any game in the series again until 5.

Lulu

DoA5 Vanilla
Initial Impression: "wow.... look at those things jggle"
Current Impression: "Wow.... this game is pretty damn good"
I see no reason to play any other Fighting Game. Should have gotten it sooner.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
DOA1... my initial thoughts on that game weren't very high. Tekken had better graphics, more characters, better animation. I didn't appreciate that game until I got a little bit older. DOA1 has some very good graphics for its time, some great ideas and one of my favorite soundtracks point blank. I love everything about it now from the simplistic menus to the cheesy opener.

When I got DOA2 on Dreamcast I didn't know how to handle myself. The graphics were really something else to me, my friends were feeling it, I was feeling it and before I knew it I had a game that was slowly replacing Goldeneye as my favorite game. There wasn't a character that went unnoticed, or a stage that I didn't like. For me finding something to bitch about was very hard.

Malibu

For me it was DOA 2 i can't remember if the first time i played was on the Dreamcast or the ps2 Demo Disc i had got out of some game magazine, i was instantly hooked. Gosh i remember playing over the demo over and over and over again, so much fun but it went to Xbox and i never got one of those. Fast forward to college my roomate had DOA 4 For her Xbox and i picked it back up there. it's gotta be my favorite fighter ever. i love the characters, the style, the layut, the button input, the DLC, the flashy lights, i love it all. Plus the musis always made me feel like a DDR track lol

Zack117

Standard Donor
Xbox was my first console I actually owned and it came with DOA3 (and Halo). Man, the graphics back then. THE GRAPHICS! And those sweet 60fps. I didn't even know what frames per second were back then. Must have been 9 years old or so. And still, I immediately knew that it was more fluent than most games. The moves and combos seemed so natural and only contributed to that fluid experience. Mashing buttons created some serious combos and made you look and feel like a badass. The characters were very detailed as were the environments, not to mention those alpha effects like sparks, lightnings and flying shards when smashing your opponent into the walls. It felt so good every single time... so impressive. But the best thing was the dynamic of the stages. The fact that you could knock your opponent off a cliff or a skyscraper and have him survive, just to finish him off in a whole different stage. That was ground breaking for me. I've never seen anything like that before.

Such a shame that I didn't stick with the game. Only played the story mode and some offline modes against the AI before I carried on to other games. Everyone was playing Tekken in my neighborhood. Don't like Tekken. Never did.

SoftCabbage

My brother bought DOA2HC for PS2 more than 10 years ago. Back then, DOA starting to get fame in my surrounding as "fighting game with sexy girl". I know what they meant, but I never actually see the girls sexually attractive due to the porcelain doll like.

My real first DOA would be DOA5. And I even bought the pre-owned copy because I couldn't play it at all back then. However, the new visual style was the one that very much attracted me to the game. Last time I got this game just to be a side game which I would only play when bored. Now I play this game regularly.

Neclord

My first game in the series was DoA 2 I believe. I was always more of a Tekken, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur guy. But I thought I give this series a try as well.

What I really liked was the impact of the punches and kicks in this game. It felt more powerful and at the same time more realistic than in Tekken for example.

I liked it quite a lot, although I was not a fan of the doll look of the ladies. That's why I prefered Soul Calibur and Tekken most of the time. But I took a long break from Fighting Games anyway, as soon as I got a good gaming PC.

I came back to this genre with Super Street Fighter 4. Also played the newest titles from Tekken, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

Then I saw Dead or Alive 5, but everyone was telling me "well it's a joke fighter, it's only about boobs and ass". So I stayed away from it.

But when DoA 5 LR came out, I finally wanted to try this series again, because the ladies in DoA 5 no more look like dolls, Team Ninja did a damn good job with them this time imo.
And then I was really surprised, not only by the looks of this game, the deep counter & hold system is really cool and I'm glad I bought this game. I already played it more than MK9, TTT2 and SC5. Even though I'm an Ivy fanboy, but well, DoA has some Ivy's too :D (Rachel, Christie).

I think most people judge too fast. They see the fan service TN is providing and they think this game is all about showing skin only.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
DOA2 on the Dreamcast.

513KYS3K6YL._SX300_.jpg

With the custom Jet Set Radio skin:
110117-dc-3.jpg

If it wasn't for the Dreamcast I wouldn't have been here nor likely get the attention to DOA and the series. I got hooked on to DOA2, Shenmue/Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia and MvC2. DOA2 was my 3rd most played game with the other two being Jet Set Radio and Skies of Arcadia. I loved those days man..played Hayabusa and Jann Lee while playing the game as if it was Tekken. I smacked buttons left and right not knowing what I was doing. (Never looked up information on character tutorials back then because the thought never crossed me.)

Thank you Dreamcast, you will be missed.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
DOA2 on the Dreamcast.

513KYS3K6YL._SX300_.jpg

With the custom Jet Set Radio skin:
110117-dc-3.jpg

If it wasn't for the Dreamcast I wouldn't have been here nor likely get the attention to DOA and the series. I got hooked on to DOA2, Shenmue/Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia and MvC2. DOA2 was my 3rd most played game with the other two being Jet Set Radio and Skies of Arcadia. I loved those days man..played Hayabusa and Jann Lee while playing the game as if it was Tekken. I smacked buttons left and right not knowing what I was doing. (Never looked up information on character tutorials back then because the thought never crossed me.)

Thank you Dreamcast, you will be missed.
Liked for the amazing Dreamcast. That thing was awesome!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD