What would you like to see in DOA6?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Stage size does not matter in a 2D fighter. Seriously maybe a few interactable pieces in the middle or how long it takes to get to a wall. But I will give credit where it is due because Injustice 2 is easily the most stunning 2D fighter to come out this generation.

d3v

Stage size does not matter in a 2D fighter. Seriously maybe a few interactable pieces in the middle or how long it takes to get to a wall. But I will give credit where it is due because Injustice 2 is easily the most stunning 2D fighter to come out this generation.
But getting people to the corner is an important part of 2D fighters so stage size does heavily affect them. It's the reason Fetus of God is banned in Vampire Savior since it's slightly longer than other stages.

Last edited:

Leifang12

To me squared stages are left for Soil Calibur and Tekken, and compared to those old games, DOA6 has the biggest stages in fighting games this generation.
The stages are smaller compared to stages in DOA2, DOA3 and DOA4 . Saying the stages are square is because we think the stage is too plain and the fighting plane is too small ! In previous DOA game it didn’t feel like you were trapped in a space. But it left you feeling you were in an open area with big areas to explore ! I don’t get that feeling anymore

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't get it. There are plenty of levels where you can bust through different parts of the stage. At the end of the day there will be enough to explore when it comes to the gameplay of the stages. No other fighter is doing this, so DOA6 is as good as it gets.

On the other hand I get it. Stage design is one of my favorite parts of the game, and no DOA game IMO has been able to match DOA2, DOA3 or DOA4 in terms of stage designs. DOA5 has proven that they still matter immensely even if they aren't as huge as they used to be.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Didn't TN mentioned that they reduced stage sizes in DOA because some areas are not very common to play in while trying to condense VRAM for stable gameplay in the future? could of sworn that was in a Gamespot interview or something.

I think I did hear something like that.

Chaos

What would I like to see on DOA6? All the wonderful things we have seen so far be on the final version. I don't want to see downgraded graphics, horrible glitches and the stun system being reverted back to DOA4/DOA5 style.

Just want DOA6 to be a superior fighting game than the previous series.

Leifang12

I don't get it. There are plenty of levels where you can bust through different parts of the stage. At the end of the day there will be enough to explore when it comes to the gameplay of the stages. No other fighter is doing this, so DOA6 is as good as it gets.

On the other hand I get it. Stage design is one of my favorite parts of the game, and no DOA game IMO has been able to match DOA2, DOA3 or DOA4 in terms of stage designs. DOA5 has proven that they still matter immensely even if they aren't as huge as they used to be.

What I think is one of the main issues is that the stages don't look grand enough. and aesthetics wise it is not as beautiful as before.

When creating a image you think of foreground, middleground and background and what I think is missing is the depth of the stages. If you take Miyaki stage, it is such a small stage and it's covered in tress and looks so tiny. If they had the same fight area, but openened up the background and made it "larger" it would help out a lot!

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
What I think is one of the main issues is that the stages don't look grand enough. and aesthetics wise it is not as beautiful as before.

When creating a image you think of foreground, middleground and background and what I think is missing is the depth of the stages. If you take Miyaki stage, it is such a small stage and it's covered in tress and looks so tiny. If they had the same fight area, but openened up the background and made it "larger" it would help out a lot!
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Miyabi stage, it's small but I think it's good to have a tiny stage that doesn't have much or little hazards. I think the stage was added because all the other stages we've seen already are quite large and have numerous hazards, so one smaller stage that's less aimed at danger zones and size is a good break from stages like the Road Rage stage that are super large and have alot of hazards you have to watch out for

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Miyabi stage, it's small but I think it's good to have a tiny stage that doesn't have much or little hazards. I think the stage was added because all the other stages we've seen already are quite large and have numerous hazards, so one smaller stage that's less aimed at danger zones and size is a good break from stages like the Road Rage stage that are super large and have alot of hazards you have to watch out for

Balance are also possibly one of the reasons for some of the stage lengths reduction possibly.

Speaking of balance, specifically tag and slightly off topic, there might be reasons why some stages can't be played in tag due to a sort of balance so (just a maybe) that stage lengths could be similar:

Zack Island for example has water which = slip stuns which might be one of the reasons why it wasn't selectable in tag. Get a CH low using someone like Gen Fu and then immediately swap out to get a -guaranteed- limbo stun unstaggerable into a guaranteed launch with Christie/Raidou/Jann Lee. You are looking at 52% for "one" guess because of a stun in water.

Some people say "well just change the stun in water". Lol if only it were that simple.

Leifang12

It's not that the Miyabi stage is small, but it feels like you are trapped in a small area because the background is so close to the stage, hence why I wrote what I did. A stage like Kyoto In Bloom is a perfect example of how you do a big stage with not lots of danger zoners or hazards happening, while making the environment and area interesting

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Balance are also possibly one of the reasons for some of the stage lengths reduction possibly.

Speaking of balance, specifically tag and slightly off topic, there might be reasons why some stages can't be played in tag due to a sort of balance so (just a maybe) that stage lengths could be similar:

Zack Island for example has water which = slip stuns which might be one of the reasons why it wasn't selectable in tag. Get a CH low using someone like Gen Fu and then immediately swap out to get a -guaranteed- limbo stun unstaggerable into a guaranteed launch with Christie/Raidou/Jann Lee. You are looking at 52% for "one" guess because of a stun in water.

Some people say "well just change the stun in water". Lol if only it were that simple.
Yeah it's things like that which is why tag shouldn't be allowed in stages like, imagine how insane damage would be if you could do tag in stages like Danger zone and Scramble and such and you can just switch out back and forth to extend the combo to ridiculous lengths xD
It's not that the Miyabi stage is small, but it feels like you are trapped in a small area because the background is so close to the stage, hence why I wrote what I did. A stage like Kyoto In Bloom is a perfect example of how you do a big stage with not lots of danger zoners or hazards happening, while making the environment and area interesting
Kyoto in bloom did kinda have alot of hazards tho, it had a fence like that barrier hazard in Hot zone in DOA5 and it had the bridge hazard and the few water drops as well as the constant slip stun in the water iirc. A stage like maybe the DOA3/DOA2U one is a good example tho since it's straight up arena with only electric walls. Idk if DOA ever did a stage with just walls and the arena and no electric hazards tho besides if you turned it off.

A stage I would love to return back is the Eternal Helix stage from Dimensions
DOAD_Great_Hall.jpg

I liked the stage since even tho it looks complex, it's pretty bare bones, its a large stage with an infinite stair danger zone that's at the far sides of the arena and there's the glass in the middle which I think is pretty good. Even if DOA6 doesn't add multiple stages with stairs, I think it would be nice to have at least one stage like this that includes them since that's been in every DOA game since 2U xD DOA5 had them in the dragon temple but it didn't feel like an immersive stage hazard

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Uh...guys. The small forest stage has isn’t called Miyabi. It’s called “Hidden Garden”. Miyabi is the new Kyoto street stage in Kokoro’s trailer >.>

Leifang12

Yeah it's things like that which is why tag shouldn't be allowed in stages like, imagine how insane damage would be if you could do tag in stages like Danger zone and Scramble and such and you can just switch out back and forth to extend the combo to ridiculous lengths xD

Kyoto in bloom did kinda have alot of hazards tho, it had a fence like that barrier hazard in Hot zone in DOA5 and it had the bridge hazard and the few water drops as well as the constant slip stun in the water iirc. A stage like maybe the DOA3/DOA2U one is a good example tho since it's straight up arena with only electric walls. Idk if DOA ever did a stage with just walls and the arena and no electric hazards tho besides if you turned it off.

A stage I would love to return back is the Eternal Helix stage from Dimensions
View attachment 26742

I liked the stage since even tho it looks complex, it's pretty bare bones, its a large stage with an infinite stair danger zone that's at the far sides of the arena and there's the glass in the middle which I think is pretty good. Even if DOA6 doesn't add multiple stages with stairs, I think it would be nice to have at least one stage like this that includes them since that's been in every DOA game since 2U xD DOA5 had them in the dragon temple but it didn't feel like an immersive stage hazard

Downtown in DOA2U was only a stage with normal walls not electricity . And if you compare Kyoto In Bloom with DOA5 stages is seems very tame tame. The fence bounce you could not really get a combo out of it. KIB was two tiers which is fine, but so is Miyabi since it is connected with Hidden Garden. But the area is still small and Miyabi also has small hazards, seen in the Kokoro/Lisa reveal trailer that resembles KIB.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Not to sound bitchy, but some of you really need to stop complaining in this thread 24/7. Thats all people ever see in here, and it makes you guys look like ungreatful brats. Just saying.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Not to sound bitchy, but some of you really need to stop complaining in this thread 24/7. Thats all people ever see in here, and it makes you guys look like ungreatful brats. Just saying.

I mean, I like big stages too. If we can't get them then so be it, but I think it's pretty genuine for them to ask for bigger stages with different portions to go to.

Leifang12

I don't think it is ungrateful at all. I have for almost 2 decades bought every single DOA game available, Collectors Edition for both consoles in DOA5, OST music for all games, figurines, a lot of DLC in DOA5 pre DOA5LR, traveled to Eurogamer Expo to try out DOA5 before it's release and bought all Ninja Gaiden games + Japanese versions of many DOA games and a huge variety of DOA merchandise. I, for one, feel I have the right to complain and post my opinion about a game that I love and have supported for almost 20 years. What I've seen so far in DOA6, does not achieve the level of greatness that I know they can get and once had (pre. DOA5). I have the right to speak out and tell them what I feel is missing. If TN don't want to listen, that's fine, but this is a forum, where fans can discuss and tell their opinions about the game that they love. And if a lot of us complain, maybe it's because we are not happy with what we see? If we all were happy all the time, it may be because they are doing exactly what we expect.

If Team Ninja were to listen to us, show us a stage that resembles what past DOA games used to do and I'll be good. But what they have shown so far does not match my expectations.

Uh...guys. The small forest stage has isn’t called Miyabi. It’s called “Hidden Garden”. Miyabi is the new Kyoto street stage in Kokoro’s trailer >.>
Miyabi is the Japanese town stage and it is connected to the Hidden Garden stage. There is a stage transition there. We just have not seen it.

SaihateDYNAMO

Since this thread's about things we would like to see in the game, it means that we're also going to be talking about things we DON'T want to see as well as stuff that we would like to change. Plus, the current stage discussion isn't necessarily "complaining" since there is a clear difference between the older DOA stage designs and the ones we are getting now. What's wrong with pointing that out lol? I want the latest entry of my favorite fighting game series to look the best it can, and I think that if the game doesn't fit a certain standard compared to what previous games had, we are free to talk about what could be done to change that (wishful thinking or not). I don't even see that much complaining here, it's mostly people critiquing what TN has done in the past or bringing up things that we would wish to see changed in DOA6 considering the game is still in development and nothing is set in stone yet. If you think any of that is ungrateful, you have yet to see the Smash community.

Koei Tecmo's still going to be getting our coins so does it really matter in the end?

tenor.gif

...I don't even have a problem with smaller/geometric stages because some games actually do them right. Virtua Fighter in particular kills it because they have some cool-looking backgrounds and locations to go along with the walls. Since DOA's kinda doing that with some of their stages because of memory limitations I understand, but at least have them look one-of-a-kind AKA not something I would see in another fighter. It's all about the unique atmosphere, and i'm not really getting that with some of the stages. Sorry if that sounds "ungrateful" but that's just my opinion.
:honoka::salad::honoka:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm not sure if we can really ask for new moves in this thread but I was playing Dimensions to gather some info on that new Kasumi move and I saw a couple of old moves that they removed that should return in DOA6

:eliot:
-In dimensions Eliot has a move :1::K::4::P: that is a low to mid that lets him go BTed and I dont think he has that in DOA5 iirc. It would be nice to let him have a mid option so that its not such a static string anymore since his only other option iirc is just the :P: follow up which is a high xD

:ayane:
-Ayane used to have a :236::P: move that went under mids and did a lift stun on NH and did a launch on CH but it was unsafe. It would be cool if she got that back. She also had a jumping :214::P:(One of Alpha's moves in DOA5)

I think it would be too late to add those in for Ayane but I think that old move addition for Eliot wouldn't hurt

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I'm not sure if we can really ask for new moves in this thread but I was playing Dimensions to gather some info on that new Kasumi move and I saw a couple of old moves that they removed that should return in DOA6

:eliot:
-In dimensions Eliot has a move :1::K::4::P: that is a low to mid that lets him go BTed and I dont think he has that in DOA5 iirc. It would be nice to let him have a mid option so that its not such a static string anymore since his only other option iirc is just the :P: follow up which is a high xD

:ayane:
-Ayane used to have a :236::P: move that went under mids and did a lift stun on NH and did a launch on CH but it was unsafe. It would be cool if she got that back. She also had a jumping :214::P:(One of Alpha's moves in DOA5)

I think it would be too late to add those in for Ayane but I think that old move addition for Eliot wouldn't hurt
Helena's PP2KP string from DOA4 would be a nice addition to this.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD