Where's your Brad at?

Tones

Premium Donor
Simple question. Answer how you see fit.

Me, if I were to play as much as I did last year, I'd focus more on refining the pressure game and utilizing map control to allow me to mix in the stun game with the wall/obstacles because that's where the D is at. Even on the more open maps. Once that tool is established I'd move to the next thing

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I like your question very much!

I'm pretty sure this year I'll play DOA much more than previous ones.

Next two months I'll be focused in:
  • Defense against characters which I don't know very much because I still have no clue on some of chars of DOA5U big cast. My goal is to get stunned much less times when facing those "unknowns". I think one key to achieve it is changing my habit to try to interrup or to guess a throw punish both after blocking. I've have kept my eye in 4p... Lately, it has been better reaction when don't know if I'm in a frame trap or don't know if throw punish is granted.
  • Strengthening my mid range game. I've recently noticed many promising follow ups and traps using frame advantage after 2h+k.
  • Learning maximun damage juggles, also after wall splat. BTW @Tones, I have done a extense research about wall splats follow ups, if you want I can share it with you.
I also started to have fun developing my tag game with my two mains: Brad and Yate. I'll be spending time in it too. :)

Tones

Premium Donor
That'd be cool @Tulkas

Yeah 2h+k has been his best move since DOA4, and still is.

I've gotten back into the swing of the game a bit. Since his BT 2p+k k8 sort of sucks now, I've gotten good results playing more DOA4 styled Brad.

For me I think the key is to keep them my opponents on their back foot via my stance game. Get it all ready by BAM

Lulu

My Brad is no where right now but I'm about to get started so first things first..... Exactly How Many Stances does Mr. Wong have ?
At 203 Moves I'm guessing he's kinda complex and I want to compartmentalise that information like I did with Sarah.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
My Brad is no where right now but I'm about to get started so first things first..... Exactly How Many Stances does Mr. Wong have ?
At 203 Moves I'm guessing he's kinda complex and I want to compartmentalise that information like I did with Sarah.
He doesn't have that many stances. I don't remember the actual name of the stances, but I know what they look like. They are:
1) Lying down stance, feet facing opponent
2) Lying down stance, head facing opponent
3) On one leg and the other leg is raised stance
4) Forward headstand
5) Reverse headstand
5) Backwards stance

The key with Brad Wong is to keep pressure by mixing up the stances at the appropriate time. Unfortunately for Mr. Wong, doing this safely can be an issue, because many of his stances are punishable. For example, he can get thrown out of his lying down stance and get get jabbed out of his headstand stances.

Lulu

He doesn't have that many stances. I don't remember the actual name of the stances, but I know what they look like. They are:
1) Lying down stance, feet facing opponent
2) Lying down stance, head facing opponent
3) On one leg and the other leg is raised stance
4) Forward headstand
5) Reverse headstand
5) Backwards stance

The key with Brad Wong is to keep pressure by mixing up the stances at the appropriate time. Unfortunately for Mr. Wong, doing this safely can be an issue, because many of his stances are punishable. For example, he can get thrown out of his lying down stance and get get jabbed out of his headstand stances.

He's got another one which he can enter raw using :4::K:.....cancelling :K::K: with:4: shaves enough recovery off the move to put you at +1 on block. Its the one where he stands on one Foot and his knee up.
Is Mr. Wong one of those characters that has alot of stances but not many attacks in each one ? Tekken's Lei Wu Long was like that, many stances with 2 or 3 attacks in each of them.... unlike Helena who only has the 2 Stances but many moves in each one.

I just need some way of grouping them.... like I did with Sarah and La Mariposa.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
He's got another one which he can enter raw using :4::K:.....cancelling :K::K: with:4: shaves enough recovery off the move to put you at +1 on block. Its the one where he stands on one Foot and his knee up.
Is Mr. Wong one of those characters that has alot of stances but not many attacks in each one ? Tekken's Lei Wu Long was like that, many stances with 2 or 3 attacks in each of them.... unlike Helena who only has the 2 Stances but many moves in each one.

I just need some way of grouping them.... like I did with Sarah and La Mariposa.
Brad Wong is closer to Lei Wu Long in Tekken, just he focuses solely on Drunken Fist, whereas Lei uses both animal and drunken stances.

Lulu

Brad Wong is closer to Lei Wu Long in Tekken, just he focuses solely on Drunken Fist, whereas Lei uses both animal and drunken stances.

Awesome..... he doesn't have any hidden moves right.... or does he ?

Brute

Standard Donor
He doesn't have that many stances.
Well, counting BT as a stance, you just listed six. Most characters have less than half of that.

Brad has the highest number of stances of any character in the game, with the second-place spot having only three (half) by my count.

Lulu

Well, counting BT as a stance, you just listed six. Most characters have less than half of that.

Brad has the highest number of stances of any character in the game, with the second-place spot having only three (half) by my count.

He's one of those characters you can take and make him your own.... esoecially with 200 moves to mix and match from

indieanimator

He's my main, but I'm not that good at the game. I try mixing up things a lot, using the tech from here (like info from the first two posters) & matches I've seen of good players. My rank is LR because I can hardly find a soul on PS3, and if I do, I only have weekends to play & am focusing on Xrd, P4AU & SGE over DOA. But I'm still playing. If anyone's w.coast NA especially, feel free to send an invite.

I'm a bit torn between focusing on him or some other characters I enjoy & do slightly well with: Lei Fang, Leon, Rachel, Gen Fu...

Tones

Premium Donor
You use different stances at different ranges for different purposes. Takes a while to get your head around it. I'm sure there are still things I haven't picked up on yet.

Lulu

He's my main, but I'm not that good at the game. I try mixing up things a lot, using the tech from here (like info from the first two posters) & matches I've seen of good players. My rank is LR because I can hardly find a soul on PS3, and if I do, I only have weekends to play & am focusing on Xrd, P4AU & SGE over DOA. But I'm still playing. If anyone's w.coast NA especially, feel free to send an invite.

I'm a bit torn between focusing on him or some other characters I enjoy & do slightly well with: Lei Fang, Leon, Rachel, Gen Fu...

As @Tones said..... all you need to do is identify the purpose of each stance... then use the stance you want for whatever distance you are from your opponent, Taking Notes.... which is what I'm doing now.... helps.
To get you started.... the Lying Head Torwards Stance and The Handstand Stance is best used up close.

Brad isn't actually hard to use.... he's just hard to Master. ;)

Lulu

Anyway after Doing The Command Training, I've Identified Brad's Total number of Stances:
  1. Lying Head Torwards :3::P+K:
  2. Lying Head Away:2::P+K:
  3. Don't know its name
  4. Dokuritsu-Ho :4::K:
  5. Hand Stand :6::6::P+K:
  6. Reverse Hand Stand BT:6::6::P+K:
  7. Back Turned :4::4::P:
  8. The Flip:9::P: and:7::P::P:
  9. Sway :4::P:.
7 Of them are to Unique Brad Wong
Number 3 and 4 are actually the same... you can't get into one without going through the other... but not vice versa.
Number 8 appears to be the only stance not connected to all the others I think. Its also the only Jumping Stance.
I still need to identify how the rest of them relate to one another, some allow you Raw transition and some can only be transition into via an attack or cancelling.... there appears to be a pattern in there, the limbs used to attack determine which Stance you can Cancel/Transition into, For Example: The Handstand seems to be connected by Kicking while lying down, you can't punch your way to Hand Stand if you're lying down.

Its going to take me all Weekend to unravel this intricate dance of inebriation but I think its going to be interesting. :)

:bradwong: "One for The Road"

Last edited:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
4p is another stance, it doesn't last long but is specially useful because you can crouchedly side step from it from the 8th frame, either atacking or not. My friends use to fear it very much, it is one of the Brad's tool I use the most.

Last edited:

Lulu

4p is another stance, it doesn't last long but is specially useful because you can crouchedly side step from it from the 8th frame, either atacking or not. My friends use to fear it very much, it is one of the Brad's tool I use the most.

Yeah... wow I forgot that one..... its like Zack's Sway and Side Step.
Finding out how these stances overlap is like solving a puzzle...... Puzzle Fighter !!! ;)

Tones

Premium Donor
As @Tones said..... all you need to do is identify the purpose of each stance... then use the stance you want for whatever distance you are from your opponent, Taking Notes.... which is what I'm doing now.... helps.
To get you started.... the Lying Head Torwards Stance and The Handstand Stance is best used up close.

Brad isn't actually hard to use.... he's just hard to Master. ;)
Don't say "best used" because it's a limiting belief. It's good to use close up.

BT k+f and HS is an awesome way to get out of setups, 50/50s and vortexes ;].

LHT is nice everywhere.

Lulu

Don't say "best used" because it's a limiting belief. It's good to use close up.

BT k+f and HS is an awesome way to get out of setups, 50/50s and vortexes ;].

LHT is nice everywhere.

Yeah it does have long reaching moves and even throws to catch crouching opponents and he rolls around back and forth pretty fast for someone lying on the floor..... I was just simplifying it for the sake of not overwhelming interested players..... its just like in that "Get Ready, Fight" video where that dude teaches a newbie DoA by telling her to mash :P:.... all while the intstructions say NO MASHING DAMNIT !!!... that was hilarious. LoL

Lulu

And now its time for the hard part testing all The Stance Cancels...... actually I did that already I just forgot to take notes :oops:

Mr. Wong can shave off a decent amount of Frames from his recovery when canceling into the right stance.

I like how canceling his LHT K into HS grants him +1 and then ontop of that he's got an i11 Mid Kick.... :)
But that one is obvious, alot of people know that one.

Oh that reminds me... does Brad Wong actually evade any linear mid and low strikes when he rolls side to side on the floor ? I feel like thats the only way to use his Lying Down Wake Up Punch (Feint Stun)

Tulkas

Premium Donor
... does Brad Wong actually evade any linear mid and low strikes when he rolls side to side on the floor ? I feel like thats the only way to use his Lying Down Wake Up Punch (Feint Stun)
Yes, he does. Both LHT/LFT 8/2 are real side steps (chrouched ones), but they are simple because there is no attack option from them. And extra good property of LHT 8/2 is that it can evade even some tracking mids (such as the wake up kick), it seems to work like Bokuho 22 of Helena a bit. I've used these SSs really often with a lot of success.

LFT p+k seems to be a SS attack, but I have not had good results using it, I have to study this move more. Does somebody know more data about how to use this one?

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD