Why do you guys hate DOA4¿

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Smithy is pretty old school DOA, and watching over more of his matches wtih Brady he seems pretty good. That christie though....

And the funny thing is that TTT2 and T6 while they have their obvious differences still play the same fundamentally its just a matter of learning the small changes to the system. It'd be the same with DOA3 if we all had to go back to that game for some reason. I don't know why, but you are acting like that game is super hard, that I don't know what frame advantage is(and you can still hold the move), and that adjusting to a simple stun launch game is that ridiculous to adjust to....

Raansu

*sigh* stupid people.

No fighting game is difficult. Any "difficult" input in other fighting games just comes down to muscle memory. All I was pointing out was your stupidity in saying DoA is DoA when DoA3 plays vastly different than 4 and 5. It's not a matter of "adjusting" to a stun/launch game because in DoA3 you don't really play the stun game...ever. The neutral game is twice as important because unlike doa4 and 5 everything and the kitchen sink is not negative on block and throws are twice as fast. You "can" hold but do you really want to eat a 7 frame throw that can do 200 damage? The meta game is completely different.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
That definitely isn't true that no fighting game is difficult, but okay. And you don't play any other fighters to even comment on such things so just stop. A game like Tekken where you have to master proper movement before even learning like 40+ matchups and your own character is definitely difficult. Then there are games that require actual execution, which you could argue just takes practice, but you definitely aren't gonna play a game like Guilty Gear, or KOF without grinding out countless hours in training mode just to be competitive. Then there are games like Street Fighter, while not too heavy in execution requires you to play smart and also learn all your match ups, which takes months if you're lucky, and that's if you already know your character and are constantly playing.

DOA3 is soooo different from every other DOA that Offbeat who never played DOA3, destroyed Brady who is an obvious DOA3 vet and won a tournament for a game that he'd never played. Then you have my buddy Evil who was playing very competitive with Brady after just picking up Jann Lee and playing the game. Don't buy into the hype people. DOA3 is the same shit just with better guarantees. And I'm not bashing the game at all...DOA3 is awesome, but I hate when people put it on a pedestal above everything like it is something that it isn't.

Lets not also forget that DOA3 never even got to develop as a fighter because no one played it.

Koompbala

I'm with Blackberry on this I didn't play 3 like that so I haven't said anything thus far. I have played Tekken since 1 and I have played SC since Soul Blade. So he's right on the fact that you understand the system you can understand each iteration easier. When I hear it takes less hits for juggles what that translates to for me is "spam launchers". Another example is it only takes 2 hits for max height then launch. Okay cool so your telling me I just gotta guess sooner, so by the first hit I'm contemplating whether, or not I wanna hold. I honestly don't know what I want from DoA, but one thing I don't want is to go back to an old system.

Raansu

I've played plenty of other fighters. Including playing Tk6 and VF5 quite often at the arcades when I lived in Japan. As for "difficult" executions. They don't exist. It all comes down to muscle memory. Akira's hit throws and JF's only took me a few days to do consistently. It just came down to practice and muscle memory.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I will just comment that the video you linked was of DOA3.0 and was practically the first competitive tournament we had. It was for all intents and purposes, at the beginning of It's life at the end of 2004. Smithy was still learning Hayate and it was barely a carbon copy of Tom's. Tom was using Christie only because having a 9 frame jab helps when facing the only character with usable striking frame advantage on guard.

Aven Kujo-Gin

I don´t hate DOA4, is actually one of my favs fighting games, in fact, I still play a lot, just because of Leon and because Hayate(2nd main) doesn´t suck so much like in DOA5.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a fact. It is impossible to guage an understandable difference between Doa2/3 and doa4/5 without having played both sets of games indepth. The dissection of the two become shallow at best with you missing many of the finer details that would enable you to see why Doa2/3 were superior fighters for competitions.

Btw, I do feel Doa5 is far more superior to that of Doa4...and just needed some refinement.

Zeo

I tried to play DOA4 again. It was extremely difficult to get used to after playing DOA5.

It's easy for me to play because Ein isn't in DOA5 so I'm switching character styles for the two. But I imagine after 5U when I'm used to DOA5 Ein then 4 will probably be really uncomfortable.

It is for one thing, awkward playing DOA4 Hayate. Albeit refreshing.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Refreshing in what way? Just curious ;-)

The amount of incorrect information in that thread is scary...Then again, it is gamefaqs.
-Lmao. People who did not live through the experience speculating what happened. I just love it.

TakedaZX

DOA4 was definitely fun to watch. If I went back and played it now, I might still enjoy it but I just liked how it called for so much mix-up that you'd see multiple mix-up situations in the stun game due to loads of launchers and the need to be difficult to read as well as some of the juggles being... different....

But I know it wasn't fun for the actual players... and I found that out the hardway when I picked the game up and played online + offline. Either way it was tough to play smart.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD