Why do you guys hate DOA4¿

MasterHavik

DOA4 was definitely fun to watch. If I went back and played it now, I might still enjoy it but I just liked how it called for so much mix-up that you'd see multiple mix-up situations in the stun game due to loads of launchers and the need to be difficult to read as well as some of the juggles being... different....

But I know it wasn't fun for the actual players... and I found that out the hardway when I picked the game up and played online + offline. Either way it was tough to play smart.
Let's not forget Zack was a monster in that game.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I wasn't in the community at the time of DOA4, let alone DOAU & DOA3 & so on, but I could remember when I would talk to people around here in TN who played this game, they would rag it for the system it has & the casual side of the community. I was around 14 or 15 years old when I started playing it & people here actually played DOA4 because of how popular DOAU (1&2) & DOA3 was here in TN & that's when the franchise here lost it's rep (now in the rebuilding process) Coming here playing DOA5 & hearing the bad comments on it made me go back & look through DOA4, DOAU & DOA3 as well. I have to say that DOA5 is better than 4.

Now I'm not going to say that I "completely" get the entire system but I feel like these were no-brainers to me that "I" saw: The holding system being the one of the most effective ways to win because of the high reward if you guessed right, stun system was hella heavy, no real reliable setups having everything permitted & you having to outsmart or better yet mindfuck your opponent. I won't comment on the other DOA games because I haven't really looked deep into them enough to voice my input past the stun game in DOA3 which is completely different than both 4 & 5.

Still, I liked the game only because it was another DOA game & didn't know any better, but those alone gives me reasons to why I think DOA5 is better. I don't want to rag the game because like I said before, I played it & liked it. I wish I would've known of DOA Central back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

TakedaZX

He could've been unexplored like he is in this game. Of course I wasn't involved in deep competitive play or study back then so I wouldn't have known. In this game people didn't explore him.

They said his dmg output was bad... He can match Hayate almost every damn time. I've proven this.

They said he gets no guaranteed damage. He has set ups, be they sometimes unpractical, they exist. IN FACT his BT stun game is probably the best in the business... he just has no way to get you into BT.
Lets not forget that his 6T might not be the best but I does set you into a mix-up being pp~strings, one of those giving you guaranteed gatling kicks that go all the way through until the last hit... which is a 50/50 that opens up your opponent on NH, the alternative = his PP6K~ 50/50 and the best part is you don't even have to do all of the mix-ups and 50/50 after the pp. You can pp2(duck)T or pp4T putting you into his muay thai clinch grab where he can gamble 3 knees for good damage or push them away at square one giving him a free deep stun opportunity from 9K (guaranteed).

He lacks good defensive tools though and while duck is good, it's kind of gimmicky on evasion. He's pretty safe where it counts though. For what it's worth as well, he has a guaranteed CB off of the BT setups but it's far too situational to be considered in his regular play. It's very viable for Ayane though. It requires two guesses, but the CB itself gets guaranteed off the sit down.

I won't go farther than this but, all I'm saying is without someone inspired behind the character you're probably not going to find many people taking that character to its limits when they have so much potential. Most people are still using post CB 3P+K2, duck PP4, sway Blanka Ball like it's the best damage set up he's got.

Who knows maybe Zack had some godlike tech in the last game that no one explored. I doubt it honestly but with the amount of stuff I've discovered in this game that it seems like no one even tried to find (or really share for that matter), I wouldn't be surprised if Zack had SOMETHING that no one knew about that made him better than all of the characters in that game...

But I digress because... once again, I honestly doubt it.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I recently started back playing DOA4 for the heck of it. It's been so long and this game is even more lawl.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD