Why do you guys hate DOA4¿

Blackburry

Standard Donor
People hate DOA4

Play DOA5 like there is a difference.

I've said it once, and I'll say it as long as I have to.

DOA is DOA and always will be DOA until Team Ninja realizes how to properly create a competitive game. I'll still support this game though even though no one else does. -_-

Raansu

People hate DOA4

Play DOA5 like there is a difference.

I've said it once, and I'll say it as long as I have to.

DOA is DOA and always will be DOA until Team Ninja realizes how to properly create a competitive game. I'll still support this game though even though no one else does. -_-

DoA was DoA until DoA4. If you think DoA4 and 5 are DoA...well you forgot how DoA actually played.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
DoA was DoA until DoA4. If you think DoA4 and 5 are DoA...well you forgot how DoA actually played.

Oh I did? All you do in DOA is look for 1 of 1000 ways to get your stun and mix up. Almost every character can be played the exact same, because of how easy it is to get a stun. And you don't have to be smart to properly mix someone up since the game just hands you everything thing on a silver platter. You can't play proper defense in DOA because of how people can just mash on strings and delays or throw you with pretty much un-seeable unbreakable throws(not to mention ducking is slow against throws). Whiff punishment sucks, because you have to hit an idiot like 10 times before they even start to notice what they are doing is foolish. The game is just all about going in and pressing buttons when you are on offense and defense....It's pretty though...

DOA is not a hard game to grasp at all, and so many people struggle in the game because they over think it way too much.

All that being said games like DOA2U and DOA3 do have things about them that would be awesome in DOA5, but it's still the same crap lol. Even if I'm wrong about those games they are irrelevant anyway.

Raansu

You just proved my point that you forgot how DoA used to actually play because everything you described is the major flaws with the current generation of DoA. DoA4 vastly changed how DoA played and DoA5 is still using the mechanics of DoA4 with some band-aids thrown in to try and fix those flaws from DoA4. (and lol at your "un-seeable"(is that even a word?) throws. DoA4 and 5 throws are SLOWER than they were in DoA2 and 3.)

Older DoA's (especially 3.1) did not revolve around the stun game and did not require you to stun 4-6 times to reach max thresholds(hell if you tried to extend the stun that far in older DoA's it will knock them down usually by the third hit or reset to neutral.). Throws were faster, ducking was faster, movement in general was faster and one missed hold was potentially more than half your life gone.

I'm bored so here's another random video of some differences and what DoA5 could of improved on. Damn I miss 2p setups.

If you can honestly tell me that DoA4 and 5 are "still DoA" after watching this video...well you clearly didn't watch the video if you continue to say that.

Even if I'm wrong about those games they are irrelevant anyway.

No it is not irrelevant. DoA2 and 3 were positive progression of the franchise and were good templates to build on. Instead DoA4 just went completely backwards changing the meta game entirely, then DoA5 "tried" to be better but it took one step forward and two steps back. I doubt 5U will make any drastic changes, but if they planned to, 3.1 is still a solid template to work from. If they don't, well "there's always doa6" lol. Course by then I will probably be completely fed up with the franchise.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I'm sick of the "Here's hoping the next game is good!" attitude. We remain hopeful and we get burned every time.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
You're next.

y1ta42m.gif

Raansu

You guys know you'll keep coming back as long as there's boobs

You're talking to a guy who took a pair of scissors to his copy of DoA4. Of course I'm not as crazy as grap3 though who then took that pic and posted it to TN's twitter.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
You're talking to a guy who took a pair of scissors to his copy of DoA4. Of course I'm not as crazy as grap3 though who then took that pic and posted it to TN's twitter.

Don't worry, Raansu. We still love you. We'll get you help asap. :lisa:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
3.1 CCs of DOA! Stat!

What's the point of making that kind of symbolic image without showing it to the people that need to see it the most?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
DOA is not a hard game to grasp at all, and so many people struggle in the game because they over think it way too much.

I think one of the big problems other "fighting game fans" have with DOA, well DOA5 in particular, is that they underestimate how in-depth the combat system is and try to play it like every other 3D fighter. How the game is played online is not only wrong, it's irrelevant because the lag essentially prevents the game from being played properly.

For instance, there are three levels of stuns that lead to 3 different launch heights. You need to decide whether you'll try to reach Stun Level 3 (Critical Stun) and go for a critical burst or a max height launch, or launch earlier at the expense of a lower launch height, or go for a hi-counter throw in anticipation of a counter hold attempt.

All 3 launch heights require different combos to be learned to maximize their launch potential. This is further compounded by the multitude of different weight classes, most notably with trying to juggle Bass or Bayman.

Oki is also an area of challenge to develop in DOA in the form of Force Techs in order to maintain offense. It's not enough to just get a max damage juggle, but you have to think about how you're going to maintain offensive pressure and keep up the attack. Setting up Force Techs with some characters is not always easy.

There are also combos that can be performed off of environmental objects, walls, or ceilings. There's a lot of things that have to be taken into account when playing the game. If you're playing this game and mashing buttons offline, you won't get very far. I mash buttons when I play Tekken online and I do alright, but I know that it wouldn't mean shit offline.

Raansu

DoA5's mechanics are not all that in depth... And what you listed is exactly why people outside of the doa community dislike doa. It's just an overabundance of guessing games which creates too much randomness in the game.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Competitive DOA3...looks the same to me.

Obviously Brady is a great 3.1 player....I guess you could say he used DOA fundamentals to get the best of smithy here? But what fundamentals were those exactly? Delaying strings? Throwing? Holding? Pressing Buttons?

There are also combos that can be performed off of environmental objects, walls, or ceilings. There's a lot of things that have to be taken into account when playing the game. If you're playing this game and mashing buttons offline, you won't get very far. I mash buttons when I play Tekken online and I do alright, but I know that it wouldn't mean shit offline.

You sure about that? I've seen some pretty "high level" mashing at these tournaments ;)

Raansu

Man you're a fucking idiot. Brady wasn't a Christie player and I have no idea who smithy is. Anyone can get away with pressing ppp over and over again if the other guy doesn't know how to play that well. You go ahead and try playing the stun game in DoA3.1 against someone who knows how to play. I'll laugh as you knock them down everytime you try to go farther than 3 hits in a stun. I'll laugh as you try to throw punish while your opponent frame traps you to death. "looking" the same and "playing" the same is two completely different things. That's like me saying Tekken and Tekken Tag play exactly the same. Only a idiot would say that.

There is a massive difference between 3.1 4 and 5. 3.1 doesn't have to deal with the long ass stuns, 3.1 had guard breaks that didn't need a charge and didn't leave you in negative frames, 3.1 had frame traps, faster throws, wall techs, less restrictive FSD, priority instead of crushes, guaranteed setups etc... Fundamentally the games play completely different.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD