Why do you think DOA5 is a good game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stikku

doa5logo.jpg

In this thread, I would like to hear input from many users as to why you think
Dead or Alive 5 is a good game or an improvement over DOA4 / DOA:D.

Please keep posts concise and logical*, and refrain from referencing the new graphics.

Above all else, please keep this original post in mind when creating a response, but also please read the rest of the posts to insure what you have to say hasn't already been discussed to your liking.

Although this thread highly encourages shared opinions, be prepared to defend and debate your opinion, support it with factual sources, or acknowledge certain fallacies that could be influencing your opinion that may have not been apparent beforehand.

Personal attacks of character will be ignored.

I will respond to each claim as concisely and logically as I can, and encourage others who may see differently to address claims as well.
* Raansu

Raansu

Guaranteed damage, less random, characters actually have unique tools that work, nuff said

Souichiro

Because it has Virtua fighter chars in it...NOT :p
Seriously now:
1) Holding system is now more unforgiving
2) I like how the stun system works and how you have to utilize the rest of your defensive methods in order to come out on top.
3) Critical Burst! Although im not yet this familiar with this new element i think its pretty awesome to have at least one stun that is unbreakable.
4) Power Blow. I have to admit that when i first saw this on trailers before the game or the alpha demo came out i was kinda like "Shit i dont like it when cinematics appear in fighting games". Basically It was one of those things that i hated in the latest SC series. But DOA5 proved me wrong. You actually have to play it smart in order to land one and the damage is pretty reasonable not being too little OR too much.
5) A playable bayman:bayman: :p <---- you can ignore this :D

XV MR ARMANI

Even though I can't really play it on the level as some of you guys on here (I'm working on it)

It encompasses everything you would want in a 3D Fighting game. Stuns, Aerial Combos, Holds, Special Moves, Infinite Mixups, Variety in Character Style, Graphics, Interactive Stages, Realistic Animation and the list goes on. All they really need to do is fix the Online Mode, remove the infinites, and fix the menu bugs.

DR2K

It's a bad game, but an good fighter.

+/- Visually it's some of Team Ninja's best and worst work yet. Character models took a huge bump, stages look slightly worse than DOA4. Color is too saturated.

+ Most indepth DOA fighter yet, so much character diversity and mechanics to use.

+ Most gameplay interactive stages, lots to learn and apply. From launch heights to guaranteed stuns.

+Largest costume count since DOA2

+ Comprehensive tutorial

+/- Critical burst, power blows, natural combos, guaranteed damage, and unholdable stuns mainly for the characters that got them.

+/-Virtua Fighter characters

- Only 2 "new" characters

- Horrible online netcode, glitches that ruin the online experience completely. Huge step down from DOA4/U. Deal breaker for me in any fighting game.

-Completely rushed to market. Missing characters and half assed story mode.

-No CGIs, major part of DOA since DOA3.

-Busted AI, not fun unlocking content.

-Locked characters, 300 titles for a character?That's about 8-15 hours of title unlocking.

-Missing modes, no online.offline team battle, no online survival, no survival tag

-Infinites + general gltiches

Yeah compared to DOA4 it's a pretty shitty game, as a fighter it's better, but shares some of the same issues DOA4 had.

Stikku

Because it has Virtua fighter chars in it...NOT :p
Seriously now:
1) Holding system is now more unforgiving
2) I like how the stun system works and how you have to utilize the rest of your defensive methods in order to come out on top.
3) Critical Burst! Although im not yet this familiar with this new element i think its pretty awesome to have at least one stun that is unbreakable.
4) Power Blow. I have to admit that when i first saw this on trailers before the game or the alpha demo came out i was kinda "Shit i dont like it when cinematics appear in fighting game". Basically It was one of those things that i hated in the latest SC series. But DOA5 proved me wrong. You actually have to play it smart in order to land one and the damage is pretty reasonable not being too little OR too much.
5) A playable bayman :p <---- you can ignore this :D
1) Holding system has only been modified slightly from DOA4. In one sense, it is more forgiving.
Sure, the frames have been tweaked moderately giving a shorter active window and a longer inactive window - but not significantly enough. It is more forgiving in the sense that holds in DOA5 deal 20% less damage in general compared to their DOA4 counterparts, which seems like even less damage when taking into the 300 point life bar of DOA5. Certain stuns in DOA5 are also unholdable over their DOA4 counterparts, making actual reliability on holds less efficient overall. They may as well simply removed counters and turned DOA5 into a Virtua Fighter knockoff with character specific sabaki commands.

2) Could you clarify this one? The idea isn't coming across clearly.

3) Critical Stun is a great idea, however the way Team Ninja made them only possible from specific Critical Burst attacks reduces their viability. Many characters only have 1 Critical Burst attack, while some have two. Also, since a Critical Burst will only cause Critical Stun once the stun-threshold has been reached (Read as: They don't cause critical stun if both players are simply idle), they can be seen coming from a mile away and can be met with a hold. That scenario introduces more ideas of mix-ups, but if you get someone to the stun-threshold and you're not playing a grappling character, that really only leaves you with two main options and one contextual option. Going for a launcher, going for a Critical Burst, or going for a wall combo - all of which require either a High or Mid attack. There's little reason to knock your opponent to the ground with a low attack unless you're playing as a grappler, and all the more reason to only worry about mid and high holds in a situation like that.

4) Play it smart = Critical Burst into a Power Blow, which I addressed in (3). The idea of Power Blow isn't necessarily unique to DOA5 considering Soul Calibur 4 introduced that Finishing-Move attack only obtainable through first getting a certain kind of stun. However, many people pretty much agreed it was just a silly flashy move (and considering it immediately ended the round, explains why they were abandoned in Soul Calibur 5 and replaced with more traditional-arcade "Super Attacks").
There is no real issue with the Power Blows. They're fun to look at, but stupid to actually connect considering they require a charge-up that only a Critical Burst can guarantee the time for.

5) DOA5 doesn't have Leon. :c

DR2K

3) Critical Stun is a great idea, however the way Team Ninja made them only possible from specific Critical Burst attacks reduces their viability.

4)
There is no real issue with the Power Blows. They're fun to look at, but stupid to actually connect considering they require a charge-up that only a Critical Burst can guarantee the time for.

3) Unholdable stuns can be combos into CB. Throws are scary from any character. Helena can take 50% off on a succesful BKO throw.

4) They're guaranteed off of ceiling stun, and are good whiff punishers. And can be cancelled out of via sidestep. They're closer to Focus attacks in SFIV than round ending movies in SCIV.

Stikku

I agree entirely on what you had to say about the graphics, but please don't refer to the graphics in this thread. We all know they're new and pretty, and we all know they could have also been better / brighter / more colorful.

+ Most indepth DOA fighter yet, so much character diversity and mechanics to use.
I wouldn't consider it more in-depth than DOA4. Character Diversity has actually decreased from DOA4 as well, since all characters now have Command Sidesteps, when only a few characters had actual Sidestep Attacks or Sidestep Maneuvers in the past. Hayabusa has an air throw for seemingly no reason. Many characters have been given more options for ending combos or using a command that opens up new throws/attacks, but honestly - that was expected. Every DOA sequel has included new methods of attacking over the game that came before it. Even Dead or Alive: Dimensions, as minutely incomplete as that game was, had new attacks and techniques over Dead or Alive 4.
I just think it's important to add up all the negatives and all the positives of DOA5 and understand where it balances out in regards to being worthy of anyone's time.

+ Most gameplay interactive stages, lots to learn and apply. From launch heights to guaranteed stuns.
Not "Most", but rather "New" would be a better word. There is a noticeable missing type of stage mechanic from DOA5 that was in most DOA4 stages (Also missing / severely reduced is a stage mechanic that has been in every DOA since DOA2). A couple stages in DOA5 are "dynamically" new in the sense that a flat stage can dynamically turn into a sloped stage - however, there are also no stages with actual slopes outside of those transformable stages. There are many simply wide-open "Arena" stages in DOA5 as well, with less actual diversity than stage selections from previous games.

+Largest costume count since DOA2
GenFu only has 2 unique costumes, and the one from DOA4 doesn't even look as nice as it did in that game. nofuzz. Costume-count =/= unique and enjoyable costumes, as many are simply palette swaps as a costume slot, or just a nearly identical costume with a new accessory, or without a shirt.

+ Comprehensive tutorial
Comprehensive Tutorial with a really bad Story mode attached to it, like some weird parasitic growth.

+/- Critical burst, power blows, natural combos, guaranteed damage, and unholdable stuns mainly for the characters that got them.
Guaranteed Damage per the rules and history of DOA has always been things like Air Juggles, Air Throws, Ground Attacks, and Ground Throws. Everything else up until those shouldn't be guaranteed, as it detracts from what makes DOA so uniquely great. The Triangle System.

+/-Virtua Fighter characters
Technically, all the characters in DOA5 play like they're in a Virtua Fighter game. I would consider this a negative for that reason.

- Only 2 "new" characters
Yes, and lame.

- Horrible online netcode, glitches that ruin the online experience completely. Huge step down from DOA4/U. Deal breaker for me in any fighting game.
Yes, and lame.

-Completely rushed to market. Missing characters and half assed story mode.
Yes, and lame.

-No CGIs, major part of DOA since DOA3.
Yes, and lame.

-Busted AI, not fun unlocking content.
This will always be a problem in fighting games.

-Locked characters, 300 titles for a character?That's about 8-15 hours of title unlocking.
Certainly not "tournament ready."

-Missing modes, no online.offline team battle, no online survival, no survival tag
Yes, and lame. There are also no new additional modes, as in ones we'd never seen before.

-Infinites + general gltiches
Yes. There are more general glitches and issues with DOA5 than every other DOA game combined.

Yeah compared to DOA4 it's a pretty shitty game, as a fighter it's better, but shares some of the same issues DOA4 had
In essence, they butchered their attempt to correct the flaws of Dead or Alive 4.
4) They're guaranteed off of ceiling stun, and are good whiff punishers. And can be cancelled out of via sidestep. They're closer to Focus attacks in SFIV than round ending movies in SCIV.
I keep forgetting about the ceiling stun opportunity. I think that was a massive oversight on Team Ninja's part, rather than intentionally designed for Ceiling Stuns to give so much advantage for the attacker. I bet an Izuna launcher into a combo does more damage than an actual complete Izuna :rolleyes:. I also think you mean "feigned" into a sidestep. "Cancelling" usually applies to ignoring recovery frames of an action to immediately do another action.

Souichiro

2) Could you clarify this one? The idea isn't coming across clearly.

Well in DOA4 whenever you were in a stun state the most popular method of getting out of it was by holding. So far ive found the techinque of holding down the guard button and mashing directions(dont remember what its called i think slow escaping, could be wrong) more usefull if you dont want to continually be stunned.

3) Critical Stun is a great idea, however the way Team Ninja made them only possible from specific Critical Burst attacks reduces their viability. Many characters only have 1 Critical Burst attack, while some have two. Also, since a Critical Burst will only cause Critical Stun once the stun-threshold has been reached (Read as: They don't cause critical stun if both players are simply idle), they can be seen coming from a mile away and can be met with a hold. That scenario introduces more ideas of mix-ups, but if you get someone to the stun-threshold and you're not playing a grappling character, that really only leaves you with two main options and one contextual option. Going for a launcher, going for a Critical Burst, or going for a wall combo - all of which require either a High or Mid attack. Seeing as force-teching isn't in DOA5 (or hasn't been implemented yet), there's little reason to knock your opponent to the ground with a low attack unless you're playing as a grappler, and all the more reason to only worry about mid and high holds in a situation like that.

This i totally agree with. I believe that each character should at least have a midle punch and a middle kick as CB's in order to switch. However by no means do i believe that when the oponent is in idle switching these two should critically burst them and for obvious reasons.

4) Play it smart = Critical Burst into a Power Blow, which I addressed in (3). The idea of Power Blow isn't necessarily unique to DOA5 considering Soul Calibur 4 introduced that Finishing-Move attack only obtainable through first getting a certain kind of stun. However, many people pretty much agreed it was just a silly flashy move (and considering it immediately ended the round, explains why they were abandoned in Soul Calibur 5 and replaced with more traditional-arcade "Super Attacks").

I know. I specifically said that this is one of the things i totally hated in the last SC games mostly at 4. Sure they aren't unique in DOA but that honestly does not bother me in the least, especially since DOA did it right IMO. As for if it is stupid or not for them to hit outside of a CB i guess thats a matter of opinion. You wouldnt believe how much of a mindfuck powerblows can be outside of a CB especcially since you can cancel them via Side-stepping. Me and my buddies have had our fair share of laughing our arses of playing with that during 1v1 and 2v2(tag) matches.

5) DOA5 doesn't have Leon. :c
That does suck! Instead of borrowing characters from another series they should invest more on their own. I seriously want to curse right now but i wont cause im a gentleman hahaha

Stikku

gentleman
ok!

Well in DOA4 whenever you were in a stun state the most popular method of getting out of it was by holding. So far ive found the techinque of holding down the guard button and mashing directions(dont remember what its called i think slow escaping, could be wrong) more usefull if you dont want to continually be stunned.
The idea of slow-escaping is really stupid and I hope it is abandoned for the future, because it dynamically changes how quickly you can recover based on how well you perform it. It's done in Virtua Fighter, it's done in Soul Calibur, it's done in DOA - but overall, it's a game play mechanic that has more ties to 2D fighters and being only occasionally "Stunned/Dizzied" than it does to 3D fighters, where there are numerable ways of achieving stuns. Anyone who's played more than enough Mario Party knows how miserable the act of deliberately mashing like an idiot is not only for the gamepad, but also your hands. Overall though, slow escaping was also in DOA4 so there's no real plus in it's DOA5 counterpart. I wouldn't be surprised if these mashing techniques were incorporated in fighting games to insure sales for controllers, or repairs for arcade cabinets.

DR2K

I wouldn't consider it more in-depth than DOA4.

This is why you should actually play DOA5. There's a lot more discover. You have to approach characters differently. Bass and Helena played the exact same in DOA4. Only Helena was a better grappler than Bass. In this game characters are adjusted to play to their strengths. Helena is an evasie character and more stance heavy, most of her new moves are stance transitions and moves that evade. She has the best side step moves in the game, one is a low that goes into bokugo and the other causes a sitdown stun. Bass's pick up game has returned and he has guaranteed set ups and huge advantages with it. True 50/50. Frame data wise and throw damage wise all has allowed for a distinction that was not there before.

Side step manuves are unique to characters. Genfu has his sidestep attack on top of a p and k from sidestep.

Offensive holds have returned to being unique, parries are actually useful in gaining advantage, side stepping actually evades, characters have untechable set ups on top of DOA3 traditional ground game. You can keep an opponent honest and play real match vs an eternal game of rock paper scissors.

Not "Most", but rather "New" would be a better word. There is a noticeable missing type of stage mechanic from DOA5 that was in most DOA4 stages (Also missing / severely reduced is a stage mechanic that has been in every DOA since DOA2). A couple stages in DOA5 are "dynamically" new in the sense that a flat stage can dynamically turn into a sloped stage - however, there are also no stages with actual slopes outside of those transformable stages. There are many simply wide-open "Arena" stages in DOA5 as well, with less actual diversity than stage selections from previous games.

This is also why you should play it. Because each stage has a unique feel and its own set of mechanics. They're much more interactive. Some stages have slopes(hot zone has slopes), ground breaking floor, different types of wall bounce such as explosions, clown ball bounce height, etc. . . tons of variables and combo oppertunities to learn and explore.

Guaranteed Damage per the rules and history of DOA has always been things like Air Juggles, Air Throws, Ground Attacks, and Ground Throws. Everything else up until those shouldn't be guaranteed, as it detracts from what makes DOA so uniquely great. The Triangle System.

Some characters adere to the triangle system, some don't. Welcome to true character diversity.

In essence, they butchered their attempt to correct the flaws of Dead or Alive 4.

They addressed the major ones, but didn't adress the smaller ones as well.

Stikku

This is why you should actually play DOA5. There's a lot more discover. You have to approach characters differently. Bass and Helena played the exact same in DOA4. Only Helena was a better grappler than Bass.
I do believe you were playing DOA4 incorrectly.

Side step manuves are unique to characters. Genfu has his sidestep attack on top of a p and k from sidestep.
The problem is that the benefits of the new sidestep command into a combo mix-up outweigh the benefits of the classical true-sidestep-attacks.

Offensive holds have returned to being unique, parries are actually useful in gaining advantage, side stepping actually evades, characters have untechable set ups on top of DOA3 traditional ground game. You can keep an opponent honest and play real match vs an eternal game of rock paper scissors.
Returned to being unique? What game didn't allow every character an OH? True parries have always given advantage, side-stepping does indeed actually evade - but is a mechanic that each DOA character doesn't need considering the appeal of Holds and Uniqueness. Command Sidestepping also fucks up Free Step Dodging. Everyone could get untechable guarantees if they were knocked to the ground from Hi-Counter or Stun Threshold in previous DOA's, and I don't really understand what the opposite of "keeping an opponent" honest would imply.

Some characters adere to the triangle system, some don't. Welcome to true character diversity.
That's like putting a 2D fighting character in a 3D game and expecting them to do tolerably well when you can simply sidestep their fireballs. The Triangle System has been the governing, encapsulating rule of the DOA franchise. You can't just abandon it or only adhere to it partially, else it wouldn't be DOA. I've already noted that all the characters in DOA5 seem like they're playing to the rules of a VF game, and when it really comes down to it - If I want to play VF, I'll play VF5FS, which is an incredibly affordable game and has a lot more content than DOA5. If I choose to play a DOA game - moreover, if I choose to play a game that is a sequel, even an established series surviving almost 2 decades on it's 5th numbered title, I expect it to play similarly as it has in the past, only addressing the issues it once had until it was fine tuned to properly accept new content without breaking the established ideas/mechanics. If I wanted a brand new game with brand new driving concepts and less familiarity, I'd buy said game. DOA5 tries too hard to be a new VF in many game mechanics, and it hinders DOA's progress as an established series.

They addressed the major ones, but didn't adress the smaller ones as well.
They just swept the problems under the rug and shifted the weight of those problems to bear down on the new mechanics. They tried to solve the problems by passive-aggressively introducing new concepts, rather than simply facing the issues head-on and correcting them.

For example

How to:
Reduce Hold Spam
What they should have done:
Increase the recovery frames on holds by factors. (+)
What they did:
Increased unholdable stun situations (-)

Zeo

The problem is that the benefits of the new sidestep command into a combo mix-up outweigh the benefits of the classical true-sidestep-attacks.
This is completely untrue, and Hayate is the perfect example. His 2 (or 8)P+K sidestep attack is far and away better than his regular sidestep + either of his SS attacks and that is after it was heavily nerfed from it's status in the alpha build.

DR2K

I do believe you were playing DOA4 incorrectly.

Nah I rock at Paper Rock scissors.

How so?

Returned to being unique? What game didn't allow every character an OH?

DOA3.

True parries have always given advantage, side-stepping does indeed actually evade - but is a mechanic that DOA doesn't need considering the appeal of Holds. Everyone could get untechable guarantees if they were knocked to the ground from Hi-Counter or Stun Threshold in previous DOA's, and I don't really understand what the opposite of "keeping an opponent" honest would imply.

I want to play your version of DOA4 with evasive sidestepping, true parries, etc. . . cause that sounds awesome.

Every character has untechable set ups in DOA5, but they also have access to the specifc down attacks from DOA3. Which acted completely different. These only land if your opponent doesn't tech, but do more damage.

Your opponent can't use the hold system out of everything, they have to actually learn how to properly defend against certain tactics or get punished.

That's like putting a 2D fighting character in a 3D game and expecting them to do tolerably well when you can simply sidestep their fireballs. The Triangle System has been the governing, encapsulating rule of the DOA franchise. You can't just abandon it or only adhere to it partially, else it wouldn't be DOA. I've already noted that all the characters in DOA5 seem like they're playing to the rules of a VF game, and when it really comes down to it - If I want to play VF, I'll play VF5FS, which is an incredibly affordable game and has a lot more content than DOA5. If I choose to play a DOA game - moreover, if I choose to play a game that is a sequel, even an established series surviving almost 2 decades on it's 5th numbered title, I expect it to play similarly as it has in the past, only addressing the issues it once had until it was fine tuned to properly accept new content without breaking the established ideas/mechanics. If I wanted a brand new game with brand new driving concepts and less familiarity, I'd buy said game. DOA5 tries too hard to be a new VF in many game mechanics, and it hinders DOA's progress as an established series.

Some of your comments require actually playing the game.

It's like characters that have fireballs and ones that don't. Some have ways around it, some use it, some have neither. The triangle system is a part of every characters design, but some have ways around it. Bass won't be using the stun game, he's all about 50/50s and throws. He can use the stun system though, but not as well as someone like Hitomi.

There are characters that adhere to the traingle sytem, and by all accounts are still viable ones at the moment. Some have more depth to them.

They just swept the problems under the rug and shifted the weight of those problems to bear down on the new mechanics. They tried to solve the problems by passive-aggressively introducing new concepts, rather than simply facing the issues head on and correcting them.

Addressing them would make the game less like DOA4. Which is why they didn't. You should be grateful here. When or if you actually play the game you'll see it in how some of the characters were designed.

THE JOHNNY ROOK

I enjoy playing it.

I do believe DOA4 has more 'fighting entertainment', I just enjoy playing it. If I button mash and win, well...go play Street Fighter.

I prefer DOA. I enjoy the rock paper scissors. I like keeping you guessing, I enjoy you keeping me guessing. The best part is when I know what I am doing, and what you are doing.

Stikku

Your opponent can't use the hold system out of everything, they have to actually learn how to properly defend against certain tactics or get punished.
But there are no other tactics. This is DOA. You seem to be undermining the metagame of DOA hold situations. A proper hold should punish a player blindly mashing out a combo. A player can also bait their opponent for a hold, and prepare to throw. A player could also bait for a throw-from-hold-bait and get that little amount of extra time to recover from stun, or even throw the opponent should they decide to think they could outsmart you and throw you from a baited counter. It truly was Rock-Paper-Scissors, rather than what it is now in DOA5 being Rock-Paper-Scissors-Glue-VirtuaFighter-Shotgun
When or if you actually play the game you'll see it in how some of the characters were designed.
The entire game was designed without foresight so it's incredibly hard to even approach it as an object that exists, nevermind be expected to enjoy it or think it better than any fighting game made in the last 8 years. If it weren't for new animations and new graphics, this game wouldn't even be getting the insignificant amount of support that it already is. Now, I agreed with almost everything you initially posted in regards to the negatives keeping DOA5 from being successful, and those negatives are still there. Me playing the game won't make them disappear, so me not playing the game should bear no lack of credence - especially considering there are more people not playing the game than people who are, even by standards of a new fighting game release.

I'm well capable of playing the game. I'm well capable of playing the game very well, as well! That is to say, I'm not incapable. However, the problem isn't that DOA5 is different than DOA4, the problem is that DOA5 is bad in its own regard. There was obviously a plan for DOA5 long before the public ever caught wind of it (likely while Itagaki and dozens of former Team Ninja members were still employed there), and it's obvious that this DOA5 is not what was originally intended.

DR2K

But there are no other tactics. This is DOA. You seem to be undermining the metagame of DOA hold situations. A proper hold should punish a player blindly mashing out a combo. A player can also bait their opponent for a hold, and prepare to throw. A player could also bait for a throw-from-hold-bait and get that little amount of extra time to recover from stun, or even throw the opponent should they decide to think they could outsmart you and throw you from a baited counter. It truly was Rock-Paper-Scissors, rather than what it is now in DOA5 being Rock-Paper-Scissors-Glue-VirtuaFighter-Shotgun

Once again you really should do less typing and more playing, it would save you a lot of grief. You're basically doing a book report without having read the book.

It isn't gone, trust me. . . there's just more to the mechanics outside of guessing. Which adds the much needed depth and variety missing from DOA4.

The entire game was designed without foresight so it's incredibly hard to even approach it as an object that exists, nevermind be expected to enjoy it or think it better than any fighting game made in the last 8 years. If it weren't for new animations and new graphics, this game wouldn't even be getting the insignificant amount of support that it already is. Now, I agreed with almost everything you initially posted in regards to the negatives keeping DOA5 from being successful, and those negatives are still there. Me playing the game won't make them disappear, so me not playing the game should bear no lack of credence - especially considering there are more people not playing the game than people who are, even by standards of a new fighting game release.

Almost every thing you have typed is factually wrong or heavily misinformed. You can easily be in another forum, playing said games in the past 8 years, but you're spending your time writing ignorant verbose paragraphs about a game you haven't played that you deem unworthy. Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD