Why english voice acting hasn't improved since DOA 2 ?

dg1995

I was watching the newest trailer with english voices , voice acting is really as bad as DOA 2.(a game which was voice acted in 2000 if I remember correctly)

Why Team Ninja is so bad at this ? Even Tekken 4 had far better English voice acting than this game.

Atahotaku

I'm still waiting for a japanese videogame with good voice acting. The only game I played where I tolerated it (and I had to because it was imposed), was Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I don't know why they don't use good actors as in games like The Witcher 3, for example.

And of course I want more spanish dubs. The one they brought us with Insomniac's Spiderman was great, having the same voice actor we have to dub Tom Holland in Marvel Movies.

Last edited:

dg1995

I'm still waiting for a japanese videogame with good voice acting. The only game I played where I tolerated it (and I had to because it was imposed), was Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Imo MGS 1 and silent hill games had good voice acting . other MGS games after 1 may not be as great in this regard but they still have good voice acting. In Tekken games English characters with english voices have good VA imo.(Paul , Law , Nina , Anna , Steve and others)

Atleast DoA2 had so bad voice acting that it was funny. Newer ones are just boring bad
I think the main problem is the dialogues. They haven't localized them properly in english.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Im sorry but you're kinda reaching xD the voice acting in English DOA2 was bad but it's actually decent in DOA5 and DOA6. Some voices are hit and miss but some japanese VAs aren't perfect either, plus you have to take in account that the Voice direction can sometimes make or break a character. Like people say Kokoro has a bad English voice but Heather Hogan is just mimicking and trying to replicate the maiko type direction her Japanese seiyu uses, so of course it's gonna sound boring and a bit underwhelming like it does in Japanese as well xD

dg1995

Im sorry but you're kinda reaching xD the voice acting in English DOA2 was bad but it's actually decent in DOA5 and DOA6. Some voices are hit and miss but some japanese VAs aren't perfect either, plus you have to take in account that the Voice direction can sometimes make or break a character. Like people say Kokoro has a bad English voice but Heather Hogan is just mimicking and trying to replicate the maiko type direction her Japanese seiyu uses, so of course it's gonna sound boring and a bit underwhelming like it does in Japanese as well xD
The main problem I have with english voice acting here is this that it kinda sounds unnatural and soulless.(Like they say their dialogues without putting that much emotion in their lines)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The main problem I have with english voice acting here is this that it kinda sounds unnatural and soulless.(Like they say their dialogues without putting that much emotion in their lines)
Well the Japanese do that as well, the English VAs are just putting that energy into the vocal direction for them so in most cases because of how the Japanese speak and act with the character they're given it can kinda sound a bit off like Kokoro and Kasumi have, but even in Japanese they don't have that much emotion unless Kasumi is talking about Hayate or she's angry about something xD

Xhominid The Demon Within

voice acting in the original language or dub?
jp: smt4 final
jp and en: ffxiv

That last one is inaccurate since the JPN Director of FFXIV outright stated that the JPN PREFERRED the English VA over the JPN VA.

Well the Japanese do that as well, the English VAs are just putting that energy into the vocal direction for them so in most cases because of how the Japanese speak and act with the character they're given it can kinda sound a bit off like Kokoro and Kasumi have, but even in Japanese they don't have that much emotion unless Kasumi is talking about Hayate or she's angry about something xD

This. I feel that most people don't understand that the "problem" with English Dubs is never the Voice Actors, it's usually the fault of terrible Voice Direction.

I've heard it so many times and after understanding what Voice Directors do, they are far and away the biggest issue than any VA as even the best VA turns to shit if their direction is shit.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
That last one is inaccurate since the JPN Director of FFXIV outright stated that the JPN PREFERRED the English VA over the JPN VA.

This. I feel that most people don't understand that the "problem" with English Dubs is never the Voice Actors, it's usually the fault of terrible Voice Direction.

I've heard it so many times and after understanding what Voice Directors do, they are far and away the biggest issue than any VA as even the best VA turns to shit if their direction is shit.
Exactly, especially since Heather Hogan the VA for Kokoro is actually a really good VA, but she's commonly given more mellow roles and the Japanese seiyus she uses for direction are commonly voice types that dont sound too energetic in English, like when she voiced Amy in SC4.

I don't hate any of the English voice actors but some maybe could do a better job in a few areas, like I feel Ayane in English isn't really all that, but tbh I dont like her much in general since she's an awful sister

mizking

I'm so used to Japanese dubs in games thanks to DOA, but I think 5 was probably the best English dub for the series. Giving Kasumi a high pitched voice in DOA 2 just because the Japanese VA had a super high pitch was just forced

dg1995

Well I never said that voice actors are bad. I'm just saying that for some reason they don't deliver their lines as great as it should be.(Either dialogues are the problem or some other thing.)

Macca Beam

probably because ye olde englishe fit the setting more. in any case, both dubs for that game were very solid. though i hope those jp players were also playing with english text because koji meme changed the script so much it's basically an abridged version at some points.

also this is true. the same VA sounding good in one thing and shitty in another thing is very common and it's tied to the change in the voice director.
fe fates and xenoblade 2 are some examples of how not to voice direct/localize.

CFW

Y'all buggin, the English voices are decent. Don't think I'll ever play with Japanese voices.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD