DOA5LR Why Is ayane so good??

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I've had to repeat these things at least 10, 11 times by now. This whole "All her stuns can be stagger escaped" thing just tells me that the people who say that really do not understand the Critical Stun Threshold in this game (that is of no reference to you by the way).

All of Ayane's stuns in threshold cannot be stagge escaped. Most will put opponents into a 50/50 must-hold situation (you have to guess). Ayane isn't super unsafe, she is only unsafe if you are always trying to finish your strings so often in neutral (which is not what this character is supposed to).

My pros and cons basically sums her up;

Pros:

She has a very solid and high damage output. 60 being a usual minimal amount for quick stun launch and whiff punishment (4K). 60-90+ on average from stun launch and counter hit juggle damage.

Her tools for whiff punishment are also very good. 4K probably being the best one, as that will always net you 60+ damage guaranteed. Most other characters are going to get anywhere from 18 to 40 on average through whiff punishment. Ayane will get anywhere from 20 to 60+ on average. 4K is an i16 frame move and is a sitdown stun on neutral and counter hit. Ground bounce on hi counter hit.

Her stun launch mix up is strong, a lot of it will generally lead into 50/50s the opponent has to guess with a hold because you cannot stagger escape most of it. Her PKK string is very strong in Critical Stun because PK will always put the opponent into a Critical Stun state for Critical Burst. The kicks in PKK (BTH+KK) are a natural combo. Meaning if you got hit by PK, you are eating the whole string or you are caught in a mix up. So basically, stun > PK > mix up or knockdown+oki.

Ayane also has a number ways to apply a safe offense to provoke opponents to commit or overextend. She’s solid on any neutral stage, and strong on every stage with a heavy environmental influence (Home, Fuel and Scramble for example). She also has one of the best i10 frame jabs in DOA5, and the best i12 neutral hit (+0) 2P low jab in the game. There is too much detail to explain on her jab, but I will if you’re curious.

She has a low sweep string that forces a must-hold 50/50, and even leaves her at frame advantage even if she doesn’t finish it. Has an entire move set for her Back Turned stance. She has a lot of different Integrated Movement and it’s even built into her strike move set as well. She can actually apply a lot of pressure to open up the opponent with just her movement (like El Fuerte in Street Fighter 4 or Sonic in Smash 4).

That’s what one of her strengths is, just making the opponent commit and take damage for doing it. Proper use of her Integrated Movement is a necessary core to her play.

I could go on forever but then I’ll never be able to finish the interview, so I’ll just end that here, lol.

Cons:

She can be extremely unsafe if you are playing her poorly. So you can actually be punished pretty badly if you’re making a lot of mistakes. Ayane is about forcing the opponent to commit and overextend in order to hit her, so if you cannot do this, you will not get far with this character.

People that say you can stagger escape this character so easily, are not utilizing what this character has efficiently at all. As soon as Ayane stuns you, you are in trouble. Her stun launch mix up is very strong for the fact that she has so many strings and short strings that will launch (these are what cause the 50/50 must-hold situations) and they happen so frequently. These can give her anywhere from 45 to 90+ damage easily without any environmental influence. With the environment, it'll obviously stack up. Couple her stun launch/string launch mix up with creative threshold mix up and pressure, and her PK string, she is making you deal with much more than a stun launch game that already gives her really good damage. For even more damage. 3P being the best example of stun launch/string launch mix up. You get stunned by 3P, you are guessing at 3PP, a high or different mid launches.

Her BT3K string is also one of the best lows in the game, for the fact that it goes into a string that has a natural combo attached to it after the second hit. BT3KKK is a natural combo on counter hit on slip surface, and a natural combo on counter hit if the first low is hit confirmed at a further distance. That's 60 damage on counter hit, easy. That's basic stun launch damage off of a low string, not a juggle. Attempting to hold the second low of this string will just let her deal 93 points of damage for trying to hold it. Even if you don't, BT3K is a good poke that hits low so you are forced to block low or find some way to deal with it. BT3K is +7 on neutral hit, tons of frame traps, both facing forward and back turned.

Her 6T and 4T throw gives her some of the best stage re-positioning. The character plays "DOA" down to a tee.

+ Great damage
+ Fast access to great damage from stun launch/string launch mix up
+ Solid movement and mobility, evasive
+ Great character on every single stage in the game
+ Very good at opening opponent up with safe pressure
+ Crazy good SAFE long range moves that lets her poke/counter poke
+ Solid punishment game
+ She can play super lame if the player wants to, which is a big plus.
+ Has strong stage interaction for higher damage and stage positioning
+ Her defensive holds interact with stages and objects/danger zones

Her jab allows her to apply so much mix up and even some pressure because you are auto-guessing as soon as you block jab. Her jab is also really good in conjunction with her 2P low jab.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/ayane-general-gameplay-discussion.4987/page-10#post-286020

Last edited:

Lulu

I Call Ayane the "Tiny Twister".

And thats the only noteworthy thing I can contribute to this discussion. :p

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Ayane is good at everything she needs.

She's balanced out by not having OHs and not being very safe. If someone knows your frames, then you can't be freely pressing buttons all the time, though she does have her safety.

Other than that she hasn't got any issues and everything else is a plus. She hasn't got any major match up issues against cheap characters and as long as you play your mix ups smart and not be too predictable, you can win easy.

With Ayane it usually comes down to the player because unlike the other top characters (other exception is Lei Fang) where you can pick one type of mix up and/or play style, you need to adopt your own game.

One thing is for sure and that is the ease of conditioning with this character.

Lulu

Grapplers really really do not like Ayane...... shes like a wet bar of soap.... always slipping out of your hands and hard to get a good grip on.

Its like that with all the Ninjas..... they are all Slippery Bastards.

Uberprinny

TBH I dont like using Ayane. However as a tag partner to my main is where she shines the most. Its easy to put people in an air juggle state whenever she is around. Otherwise, whenever I meet Ayane on solo matches she does Ayane things that I cant put into words atm. X.x

CrudeRaven

TBH I dont like using Ayane. However as a tag partner to my main is where she shines the most. Its easy to put people in an air juggle state whenever she is around. Otherwise, whenever I meet Ayane on solo matches she does Ayane things that I cant put into words atm. X.x
Zoning, flipping, baiting, and lows?

Uberprinny

Hmmm...well..... if those are the ingredients that makes a freshly baked spinja then I would take it. That is another thing that makes Ayane great! Unlike Yoshimitsu, she never gets dizzy when she spins. It makes me dizzy just looking at her as she does Ayane things.

CrudeRaven

I don't know why but people like Ayane Helena and Lisa are just fun to watch fight. And yes. I get dizzy as hell looking at her as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD