Why is DOA such a stereotyped game?

Sotherius

1. I agree with that but the Xtreme games are their own games, spinoffs. They should never be counted with the main game...have no idea why people do that when they don't do the same for Mario games.
Again, completely unfair comparing a spinoff game to a main title. You know full well people don't even do the same thing to other games, so why should DOA be exempt?

Okay, let's be pretty clear here. It doesn't matter that it is a spin off game, it affects the public view of the series in general, they carry the name series, and even if they're non-canon, it is still carrying out the Logo, is still being qualified as a dead or alive game, and if they didn't exist, i bet you at least half of the discrimination towars the series wouldn't exist, same for the merchandising. It doesn't matter how spinoff DOA xtreme is, it is still being sold s dead or alive, and will always affect public opinion on how the game's characters are portrayed.

And you post here overwatch stuff, and bayonetta, and you proved me right, first, the overwatch stuff is not official material, while doa has. And the bayonetta stuff, Bayonetta is a sexually active character, sex is written all over her design, personality and actions, so, it fits here, have i again to mention how doa fanservice looks bad not because it is fanservice, but because it doesn't fit said characters? If you show me tina poledancing, shaking her butt, and doing all that kind of stuff, it will be okay, because it fits her character, but Kasumi or Ayane doing the same? Two girls that lived their lives in secluded villages from a complete different culture?

And again, you bring soul calibur to the table, yeah, those are sexualized, still not even close to the doa xtreme has done, and doa 5lr has done the same or even more. let's not forget private paradise is a feature in the main game as well.

All videogame characters have been fapped to, DOA just markets their girls that way.
And that is the difference, DOA marketing right now is removing any uniqueness from their characters, anything cool, unique, to just make them masturbation material, i don't feel that this is right, and you keep saying "oh, doa is for the minigames", i bet you wouldn't even touch the game if it were for the poker games only, i bet 95% of the consumers of the game wouldn't.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Okay, let's be pretty clear here. It doesn't matter that it is a spin off game, it affects the public view of the series in general, they carry the name series, and even if they're non-canon, it is still carrying out the Logo, is still being qualified as a dead or alive game, and if they didn't exist, i bet you at least half of the discrimination towars the series wouldn't exist, same for the merchandising. It doesn't matter how spinoff DOA xtreme is, it is still being sold s dead or alive, and will always affect public opinion on how the game's characters are portrayed.

And you post here overwatch stuff, and bayonetta, and you proved me right, first, the overwatch stuff is not official material, while doa has. And the bayonetta stuff, Bayonetta is a sexually active character, sex is written all over her design, personality and actions, so, it fits here, have i again to mention how doa fanservice looks bad not because it is fanservice, but because it doesn't fit said characters? If you show me tina poledancing, shaking her butt, and doing all that kind of stuff, it will be okay, because it fits her character, but Kasumi or Ayane doing the same? Two girls that lived their lives in secluded villages from a complete different culture?

And again, you bring soul calibur to the table, yeah, those are sexualized, still not even close to the doa xtreme has done, and doa 5lr has done the same or even more. let's not forget private paradise is a feature in the main game as well.

And that is the difference, DOA marketing right now is removing any uniqueness from their characters, anything cool, unique, to just make them masturbation material, i don't feel that this is right, and you keep saying "oh, doa is for the minigames", i bet you wouldn't even touch the game if it were for the poker games only, i bet 95% of the consumers of the game wouldn't.
I didn't say it is a spin-off, and there's more to it than even poker
I dont understand your point and what you're trying to say in regard to mine.

Anyway

Xhominid The Demon Within

So basically, you are not only missing the point, you are even cherry picking this whole thing? Got you.
As all you are really pointing out is that there's obvious bias and people using whatever means they have of playing a game they aren't interested in or suck at. It's really nothing new to be frank.

Okay so you didn't prove my point, stated I somehow proved your point(when you didn't bring anything like it up at all. You brought up the fact that Team Ninja is sponsoring it by making official merch and I pointed out that the reason they are doing so is simply to make money of something people ALREADY DO MAKE MONEY FROM) and then immediately ignore the very thing that would have still proved my point(The only reason an official Bayonetta Body Pillow didn't go through wasn't because Kamiya and Platinum had a change of heart, the company who wanted it decided to not go through with it for other reasons).

And you say that the stuff they do don't fit the DOA characters...when does any of the costumes in Soul Calibur fit the females in question?
When did this outfit fit Chun-Li?
Ryu-Chun-Li-Red-Bull-1.jpg

You are taking things way too seriously from a damn spinoff game and when I point out your example, your response is to simply ignore it despite it still being so blatant about it.

And finally about Private Paradise...the mode may be in the game, but the things to actually USE IT is DLC. That actually doesn't help your point.

Really!?

Don't even make me bring up her SC2 outfit which makes it even more blatant
latest

Again for absolute truth, these are the DEFAULT costumes these characters have.
When you have to go deep into the DLC territory to match these costumes in terms of exposure, I think your point is utterly ruined.
It makes it even funnier that SCV had to back up on Ivy's design...yet in exchange, made Sophitia even more ridiculous as Esylum...

Sotherius

Ok, so you think that the DOA xtreme series do not affect in any shape or form how people see DOA as a series? I don't think it is the case, the existane alone of the xtreme series kind of takes away the public opinion of the original series as a fighting game.

And those outfits in SFV are garbage, but i forgot they existed, so yeah, you're right, those don't fit. (Though chun's costume is described as a disguise when she needs to investigate in some criminal areas when you go to the store to buy it)

And okay, soul calibur default designs are more sexualized than most doa default costumes, and lose to dlc, i still think is bad marketing from TN's part, because they don't try to sell doa as a fighting game at all, yet, we have what? 400$ of season pass worth to buy in costume dlc?

I think Destruction Bomb said better than me, even if other games do have fanservice, they're still being marketed and sold as deep fighting games with a lot of competitive potential, and i don't see any effort on TN, or Koei's part to sell DOA this way, which i think. Well, NRS games are normally sold for their high graphic and bloody and violence, and they don't have anything else to offer really.

Other points, yeah, i take back what i said mostly, i still think TN should tone down the costume dlc, and tone down the marketing on the fanservice. And maybe, forget the doa xtreme games... just maybe... I really hate the xtreme games, sorry, i just can't accept badass super human characters doing awkward poses and dancing to a nobody...

Ok, so you think that the DOA xtreme series do not affect in any shape or form how people see DOA as a series? I don't think it is the case, the existane alone of the xtreme series kind of takes away the public opinion of the original series as a fighting game.

Again, I'm not taking that away, but that fits in with bias for very obvious reasons which still is my point.

And those outfits in SFV are garbage, but i forgot they existed, so yeah, you're right, those don't fit. (Though chun's costume is described as a disguise when she needs to investigate in some criminal areas when you go to the store to buy it)

Don't even try and pretend that's a description for anything that makes sense. If you seriously buy that, I got a goddamn bridge to sell you. What type of Chinese Woman would wear clothes that fit a Black Woman who lived in the Ghetto? There are far more clothes that would allow Chun to go into Criminal areas that doesn't make her look like a damn idiot.

And okay, soul calibur default designs are more sexualized than most doa default costumes, and lose to dlc, i still think is bad marketing from TN's part, because they don't try to sell doa as a fighting game at all, yet, we have what? 400$ of season pass worth to buy in costume dlc?

And that's the thing, you don't need to buy the DLC! That's the exact point so many people made and why this is making no damn sense and is just another state of bias. When you have to include DLC all over the place as a point of "I don't want to get this game", it's not a reason, it's basically deflecting the real reason you don't want to get it or you don't want to actually go deep into it.
I've heard that excuse so many times and it's an excuse that gets debunked every time. If people don't like the DLC in Street Fighter V? Don't buy it. Why should DOA be judged solely by it's DLC because Capcom is rarely held to task for that shit.

I think Destruction Bomb said better than me, even if other games do have fanservice, they're still being marketed and sold as deep fighting games with a lot of competitive potential, and i don't see any effort on TN, or Koei's part to sell DOA this way, which i think. Well, NRS games are normally sold for their high graphic and bloody and violence, and they don't have anything else to offer really.

And I will always continue to bring up said counterpoint: Why should that only be at odds to just DOA because they are atleast honest about it? Because that wasn't the case for Soul Calibur. People was outright pissed over how many ridiculous costumes they have gotten for Lost Swords and how that game was pretty much fetish central despite not even being close to atleast how DOA Xtreme justifies it. And people always had a problem with the ridiculous sexualization Soul Calibur has been getting since Soul Calibur 3 and 4 to the point Hilde's outfit was a SELLING POINT FOR THE CHARACTER(aka a woman who actually dresses for battle).

You had MK1-9 basically having ridiculous fanservice on top of the blood and gore(which did in fact impede it to the point Japan doesn't even TOUCH Mortal Kombat in any capacity because they did the exact same thing DOA does with it's sexual appeal: They use the violence as a selling point.), Street Fighter has pretty up and sexualized a good chunk of the females through story costumes and DLC yet actually plays the ban game when it comes to streaming tournaments.
Let's not forget the 90's. This is nothing new and it really shouldn't be and I find it funny that it's actually seen as a credible defense.

Other points, yeah, i take back what i said mostly, i still think TN should tone down the costume dlc, and tone down the marketing on the fanservice. And maybe, forget the doa xtreme games... just maybe... I really hate the xtreme games, sorry, i just can't accept badass super human characters doing awkward poses and dancing to a nobody...

1. I agree that they should tone those 3 down. I'm not sure what they should do with the Xtreme games at this point because you know have fans of that series who do enjoy the fun factor and the dressup factor(alot of girls play that game).

2. I still say it's a spinoff game because obviously none of the girls would do anything in Xtreme to begin with...
It's much like the same way no one takes Super Puzzle Fighter seriously.

Sotherius

Why should that only be at odds to just DOA because they are atleast honest about it?

Being honest about its fanservice is not the problem, not trying to sell the other good parts of the game is what is wrong to me. The games are deep, balanced, fun, competitive, with good graphics and good animation even for a port of a last gen game, and yet, all TN sell is the fanservice.

I say from personal experiene, i would never touch dead or alive if i didn't have touched ninja gaiden and saw the connection of the two series that sparkled my curiosity, because every time someone would talk about doa to me, or every article i could ever find about DOA, was about the individual breast phyisics engine, or the destructible costume dlcs, or about the private paradise feature, or the new doa xtreme games in the making, or different breast physics settings.

Don't you think that selling DOA only for its fanservice is underselling DOA?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Short answer:

- Promote the gameplay and stage visuals. The sex appeal will still be there don't worry about it. It's TN biggest use so people shouldn't worry. Add characters as well as outside game characters to promote the gameplay more.

- DLC is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing sometimes, but also include package for "every" character. Not just the ones to promote typical reasons so that people wouldn't think differently on avoiding the game or focus on shelling out uniques to the game besides just cosmetics.

You are welcome.

Being honest about its fanservice is not the problem, not trying to sell the other good parts of the game is what is wrong to me. The games are deep, balanced, fun, competitive, with good graphics and good animation even for a port of a last gen game, and yet, all TN sell is the fanservice.

I say from personal experiene, i would never touch dead or alive if i didn't have touched ninja gaiden and saw the connection of the two series that sparkled my curiosity, because every time someone would talk about doa to me, or every article i could ever find about DOA, was about the individual breast phyisics engine, or the destructible costume dlcs, or about the private paradise feature, or the new doa xtreme games in the making, or different breast physics settings.

Don't you think that selling DOA only for its fanservice is underselling DOA?

Alright, I'll give you my honest thoughts:
Do I think DOA being sold for only fanservice is underselling DOA itself? Yes and no.
Yes in the fact that DOA has a solid engine and DOA5LR is basically Team Ninja's best work in making a credible fighter and proving they don't need Itagaki to be successful but it does suck that people still only hang onto the fact that it's blatant about it's fanservice.

But then there's no because for one very simple reason: I got used to the fanservice. And no, I don't mean I played Dead or Alive until I got used to it, I meant I got used to it way before I knew Dead or Alive even existed. I played Killer Instinct, I played Star Gladiator, I played Fatal Fury Special and Street Fighter 2 in almost all of it's incarnations as well as SFAlpha 3 and many other fighting games...
Once you played one, you basically play ALL OF THEM in terms of how the females mainly are depicted. Yeah, they are well-built and stacked but it makes sense since I doubt fighting tournaments will allow armor and some fighting styles you would want the most amount of movement possible so you may want something that isn't too loose or too restricting.
Hell, the females don't even need to look skimpy, they just simply need to look right:
I can show you June from Star Gladiator and Orchid from KI and people will salivate over that in seconds despite not looking anything close to late SC characters.

As stated by plenty before, I do believe there is a bias and a smokescreen that is used for why they don't play Dead or Alive. It's the same reason you have of journalists who talk shit about Senran Kagura despite being a great beat em' up with a good story simply because the creator loves tits and ass and why the Warriors series get shat on despite the incrementations being just as blatant in any Sports games:

Peoples' bias runs their judgement no matter what. It's the main reason why people believed even if Dead or Alive did go the direction it was going to go in 5 before the outcry made them change it, it would have done nothing but have gotten people to leave it instead. Bias would have simply have not gotten people to actually invest in the game either way.

Short answer:

- Promote the gameplay and stage visuals. The sex appeal will still be there don't worry about it. It's TN biggest use so people shouldn't worry. Add characters as well as outside game characters to promote the gameplay more.

- DLC is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing sometimes, but also include package for "every" character. Not just the ones to promote typical reasons so that people wouldn't think differently on avoiding the game or focus on shelling out uniques to the game besides just cosmetics.

You are welcome.

I can agree, especially on the latter. Ryu not getting Soul Badguy's costume was just evil.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Short answer:

You are welcome.

The sad thing is that TN tried to do that originally in DOA5 Alpha (promote the game as having intense, cinematic-looking fights), but then there were these vocal fans that whined about the decreased boob size of the female characters featured. Deep down I think Team Ninja wants to produce a fighting game respected for its gameplay, as shown with its support for the tournament scene, though the reality is that DOA's revenue predominantly comes from sales of sexualized-DLC since it doesn't sell as well in terms of disc-based unit sales.

The sad thing is that TN tried to do that originally in DOA5 Alpha (promote the game as having intense, cinematic-looking fights), but then there were these vocal fans that whined about the decreased boob size of the female characters featured. Deep down I think Team Ninja wants to produce a fighting game respected for its gameplay, as shown with its support for the tournament scene, though the reality is that DOA's revenue predominantly comes from sales of sexualized-DLC since it doesn't sell as well in terms of disc-based unit sales.

To be fair, it seems to be more of a Koei Tecmo decision for how we keep getting so much of that DLC considering how we got news from that from Tom Lee and plenty of the interviews from them in the past.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
To be fair, it seems to be more of a Koei Tecmo decision for how we keep getting so much of that DLC considering how we got news from that from Tom Lee and plenty of the interviews from them in the past.

Indeed. It's an unfortunate situation but it is what it is. Another unfortunate notion is that a lot of the FGC doesn't play DOA because of the ability to counter within combos to escape them, thus undermining a player's "free damage". So even if DOA didn't have the titty stigma, it would still have the same stigma that Killer Instinct has with 2D players hating the Combo Breaker system allowing players to escape an opponent's combo for free if they simply guess right. I.e. Without the titty stigma, the best that the DOA community could hope for is something similar to Killer Instinct's situation. This is what turns players off more than: "LOL BEWB GAME!".

otnesse

Regarding the overall topic, I'd just want to say that, DOA may have had a reputation, deserved or not, of being a fanservice game, but with DOA5U and DOA5LR, it definitely seemed to go WAY overboard on the fanservice elements, even by DOA standards. The most we got to a true fanservice type character prior to DOA5U was Christie due to her explicitly being a femme fatale. The other girls, even Tina, Itagaki intended to be innocent (at least for the most part). I mean, DLC or not, did we REALLY need explicitly risqué outfits that made even several of the swimwear from past Xtreme series games seem tame by comparison such as Momiji's mummy outfit or her 2014 Christmas attire where she's literally only wearing ribbons (and if I must state, those outfits are completely out of character for the likes of Momiji. I mean, really, she's a shrine priestess, which is Japan's equivalent to a Roman Catholic nun, she wouldn't even be caught DEAD wearing those kinds of outfits). And don't get me started on their implementing clothing destruction elements to the game in Last Round (I can understand applying it to the Senran Kagura pack, due to it being a core feature to those games, and I guess I should be grateful that, unlike Senran Kagura, the girls don't end up in their birthday suits after a prolonged match, but still... I don't think Itagaki would ever have approved of something like that).

Now, that all being said, and as much as I'm not particularly fond of the fanservice angle for DOA, I have no problem with the girls retaining their large chest sizes after the DOA5 Alpha, and the reason why has nothing to do with whether I am attracted to them (well, okay, I am attracted to them, but that's still not the main reason). Actually, it's because quite frankly, they really wouldn't look right if they were missing the big chests, being, I don't know, something we know well about them. It comes across as pandering to SJWs to remove what is essentially a trademark of them I guess, sort of like the problems undergoing Marvel right now where they are changing the races and even genders of various well known Marvel icons just to pander to certain identity groups. If they want to just pander to those who don't want big chested girls in the games, they ought to just create some small-chested fighters who do still look like adults. I'm not particularly fond of them outright changing key elements to their characters, especially physical elements (the only exception is if it was a choice given by the character in-universe, or at least if it's still early on into their run.).

And yeah, it does come across as a bit hypocritical that people would give the DOA series a bad rap for being a fanservice game when a lot of the mainline fighter games such as Soul Calibur, King of Fighters, or even to some extent Street Fighter arguably have even MORE dirty fanservice elements (prior to DOA5U, I mean).

So far as Xtreme 3, all I can say is that the Xtreme 3 game was definitely a lot closer to an outright fanservice game than to even the past Xtreme games, much less most of the Dead or Alive games. It comes across as, I don't know, creepy, especially when you actually ARE courting several of the girls there (and the girls actually are acting quite a bit out of character in this anyways, even when acting upset over doing something that lowers your friendship level with them. See, most of them are fighters, and some like Ayane have no reserves for outright killing you if you do something bad, yet the most they do is whine? At most merely threaten to punch you?). At least in past Xtreme games, while the player does observe the girls there, there wasn't anything pointing to you literally watching the girls or interacting with them. And I'd argue the pole-dance elements were even worse since it's implied all the girls, even those who definitely wouldn't be the type to do pole-dancing, are enjoying doing it for you. Yes, there was a pole-dancing function in Xtreme 2, and I do think that Itagaki made a mistake inserting that in especially when he removed various other risqué games from that game specifically because it cast the girls in a bad light, but to be fair, some of the dialogue from the girls during the pole dance, such as Kasumi, implied that while they were doing the pole dancing elements, they were not necessarily enjoying the experience in Xtreme 2 and Paradise (Kasumi in particular says "I feel a bit embarrassed..." when about to do her pole dancing routine). And honestly, girls changing in front of you? Clothing damage? Let me tell you, there's DEFINITELY no way Itagaki would have signed off on it. And don't get me started on the VR app and Sense (I don't agree with SJWs, but I ultimately think they have a bit of a point in complaining about the demo for the VR version of Xtreme 3, especially considering the bit where Kasumi's literally complaining to you if you touch her. And honestly, smelling the girls?). And don't get me started on some of the Owner Mode DLC, which actually DOES come across as far too risqué for things (like the Eel or For You outfits), not to mention clothing that quite frankly isn't appropriate for the beach. While Itagaki did intend for the players of Xtreme to observe the girls, he most certainly didn't intend for outright voyeurism (and most certainly would not have approved of it due to thinking of them as his own daughters). It would have been bad even if they DID include all of the girls (and quite frankly, it was stupid to cut out six girls, especially when it was meant to be a vacation game for them).

And for the record, the Xtreme series may be spinoffs, but they are definitely canon (heck, DOA4's Zack ending outright foreshadowed DOAX2, and even DOA3's ending foreshadowed DOAX1, and don't get me started on how DOA4's Kasumi ending had her at what was later revealed to be the Moonlight Reef Suite in DOAX2.).

And for the record, one of the reasons why I'm a bit fond of DOA especially right now is largely because the games actually had some good messages in the story (one of the biggest themes is actually a promotion of family values, considering Kasumi joined the tournament specifically to avenge her brother, and even when on the run from her own clan, she ultimately desired to return to her family, and in Dimensions at least, Ayame actually stopped Ayane from committing suicide and also told her to not kill Kasumi specifically because she's family. And Helena's entire arc dealt with trying to avenge her mom, and later tried to honor her dad's will. Hitomi also attempted to run the dojo due to her dad falling ill, and Gen Fu's reason for entering the tournament is due to wanting to help his ill granddaughter. Politically and socially, it's actually downright conservative if you think about it.), and actually is one of the few games made in Japan to actually try to paint America in a decent light (a lot of games dealing with real-world locales, such as the Metal Gear series, and to a certain extent Resident Evil have an annoying tendency to outright demonize America, and even in the few times they do make any effort to promote American values, they usually screw up by treating patriotism as another form of nihilism (such as The Boss's what is a soldier speech from Snake Eater, and that alongside Portable Ops was the closest the series has to actual pro-American games in the franchise). Heck, in Metal Gear's case, they go so far in their anti-Americanism they actually managed to promote even people who should ordinarily be condemned as mass-murdering psychopaths as somehow being saints simply because they aren't American.). That's even one of the reasons why I'm fond of Tina Armstrong and her dad, as they do the American Dream depiction as well as a depiction of American patriotism right (I mean, yeah, sure, Tina's a bit of a showgirl, and her dad's overprotective, but that's still a heck of a lot better than how other patriotic Americans, such as Derek C. Simmons of Resident Evil 6, Solidus Snake and/or The Patriots from MGS2, or The Boss from MGS3 were depicted, which is generally as amoral [heck, The Boss even explicitly states in her speech that morality has no role in the mission or Patriotism], at worst outright terroristic, and at best downright nihilistic.). I've yet to actually PLAY a Dead or Alive game, though I DID get DOA5LR (mostly so I could get the fourth season pass for DOA Wiki), and I probably have plans to get Xtreme 2 and Paradise as well. And as soon as I get everything from MGSV done (the Kojima emblem, developing all weapons and equipment, getting that three-diamond rank, and taking care of any and all challenge task), I'll probably get started on DOA5LR. And speaking of MGSV, all I can say to the guys who complain about the girls simply being fanservice is, you think THEY'RE nothing but fanservice, even DOA5U/LR, try looking at Quiet from that game. Most of the girls in the DOA series, even the ones introduced in DOA5U and DOA5LR, had a LOT more character than she did and were a whole lot more tame compared to her (not to mention she has an extremely stupid justification for being near-completely naked especially considering comparing her to, say Code Talker, The End, and possibly even Skull Face. Let's leave it at that). And I will say on a final note that, whether it is sexualized or not, DOA has my respect because at least Hayashi and Itagaki before him were honest about it, and didn't try to pull CYAs by giving such... bullcrap about how they had a particular girl dressed like a scamp and clearly undergoing immense fanservice by claiming that we will be "ashamed of our words and deeds" unlike, say, Kojima with Quiet.

This is essentially my first post on this forum.

Last edited:

I'm not going to go through ALL of that...

But that's one hell of a first post and there are some things I agree and disagree with and will leave that lie because I again got this damn Windows to work for me again...

otnesse

I'm not going to go through ALL of that...

But that's one hell of a first post and there are some things I agree and disagree with and will leave that lie because I again got this damn Windows to work for me again...

Let me guess, every time you make a long response, Windows decides to have the tab do a soft refresh after freezing up, or you get a SysFader/WerFault error message, or even both? I've been there. Either way, nice we can agree to some things at least.

Let me guess, every time you make a long response, Windows decides to have the tab do a soft refresh after freezing up, or you get a SysFader/WerFault error message, or even both? I've been there. Either way, nice we can agree to some things at least.

Nah, I mean that my Windows doesn't last and will sometimes have a critical failure that forces me to install a new version, it's a pain in the ass every time and I didn't want to jinx it yesterday by making a rebuttal.

When I have the time to really dig deep into it, then I'll do it but you may have to watch out for the fact I may not respond as I have to reinstall Windows AGAIN...

Just waiting on to get the money to get a new computer...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD