Wonky 3K Instant Recovery "Glitch"? Or Hidden Just Frame? Hmmm...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I was dicking around today with some launcher setups, and I noticed upon connecting :3::K: after doing a very quick dash towards my airborne opponent Bayman would on occasion recover instantly.

This typically happened when my opponent was very low to the ground. I was able to replicate this about three times within five minutes, and then never again.

So whats up with this? Crazy rare glitch that just happened to manifest itself for the first time ever, and then repeat itself twice?

Or perhaps my muscle memory stumbled upon some sort of hidden Just Frame variation of the kick? Honestly I don't know. But the fact I was able to do it 3 times in a relatively short session makes me think there is some tech to be discovered here.

shinryu

Best guess: some kind of hitbox oddity? You're hitting really late in the active frames if they're low to the ground and it's masking a lot of the recovery, possibly. Possibly an animation glitch with the weird situation too. It seems reproducible so the question is if it's useful (guarantees force tech or throw when we shouldn't get one, maybe?). It doesn't sound like this will work from a "standard" 3k? Will a dash 3k at a standing opponent trigger this?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
No clue.

Thing is, I was hitting opponents who were lower to the ground (heavies) and not getting the same effect. Thats leading me to think it has something to do with the dash itself, or perhaps the typically faster input I was using in conjunction with the dash. Hence the theory it could be a Just Frame input of some sort.

Akira and Bayman were both implemented around the same time and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the developers saw Akira's knee and got the idea of tossing something similar in for other characters.

To those wondering, the setup I was using was versus Hayate. CH on and I was using 3P 8K 8PP to launch.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD