YinCrescent [My First Major] - The Summer Jam Xperience

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
THE SUMMER JAM X EXPERIENCE
GBlOfOK.jpg

I'm simply just a player in Maryland who's desire is just to become a better player. As the days flew by and time had wound down. I carefully studied my character's in's and out's whilst preparing for the events to come. Generally people know me as "YinCrescent" or by my gag name "The Worst Kokoro". I spent my time training casually on Tuesdays and Thursday with players around my area. Those of which being Mr. Wah , Alithical, Millie_Andretti, SonicNiGHTS (KokoraZone), TakeshiRyota, HitomiKuma, CookingMama, VirtuaKazama, and X Zero. But there was also an unexpected guest who appeared from New York, and that would be none other than Rikuto himself.

I went to go play casuals on a tuesday night while he was at Mr.Wah's house. Oddly enough I'm surprised at how I held up against him. It took me a while to adjust myself because I had no idea how to approach his Bayman. After several matches I went home to study up. Summer Jam X had already started but DOA's event wasn't until so we had a bit more time to practice before we headed out. On friday (19th) I checked my pool assignment to see who was there. Oddly enough SonicNiGHTS (KokoraZone) was with me in my pool. But there was also two other players in there that gave me an instant red flag SonicFox and Nashfan. I wasn't too worried but I looked forward to the possible encounter we could have instead of complaining or having a negative state of mind.

Later it was finally time... The long agonizing moment I've been waiting for was finally here. that evening around 6PM we all made our Journey en route to Essington, Pennsylvania. I stuffed myself in the back of Alithical's RAV4 along with Millie, Sonic, and HitomiKuma. During the drive we passed by Baltimore City. I got a great view of the skyline afar. within an hour and a half we made it to the Clarrrr....Marriott Hotel. We got our rooms, Put some of our stuff up. but before crashing for the night we went to the Clarion to meet some of the other players. There I met Katsu, Kwiggle, LordXavier, BBoyDragon, BlackMoonRising and other familiar faces for the first time.

Which then afterwards we walked back to the Marriott to get our rides so we can head to the diner that was a little further down the road. For some reason I guess everyone though it was a good idea to hitch a ride in the back of Mr.Wah's truck and I remember him saying "No, get the f**k out!" All 7 of us fit into the pickup while the rest jumped in the back (which ironically they all fit). We made our way to the diner. Got some few had some laughs. Then someone extremely important showed up. Mr.Tom Lee The creative director of Team Ninja.

Personally I wanted to show him my works, so I did. He looked thoroughly impressed but I guess he figured I was still growing as an aspiring artist. I asked his for his honest advice... trust and believe this was advice I took with me as encouragement to make myself even better. I couldn't have been more grateful to meet with him in person. After meeting we decided to go back to the hotel in order to prep for tomorrow.

IxShGuS.jpg

Day 2 : Tournament Day
9am came around and I darted to the Clarion before things got busy. I got my wristband but the ballroom didnt open until 11AM which eventually became 11:30am so in the meantime I came across Gill Hustle, He had a tiny little setup in the main lobby and I played him in a few Street Fighter V matches. Now of course "Yin you dont even play Street Fighter!"...didn't stop me from playing though. Afterwards I met up with "Blackburry" who was supposed to room with us for a night but he had changed his mind. I came up to the second floor with him and met "Nashfan", "RojikkuEffect" and "MariahPapaya." I stayed for a bit, played some matches, and then headed down to the main floor.

Pools began. My first opponent was "Shakugan" he used Lei-Fang. I calmed myself down. No pressure. Just 100% pure focus. Even though it was just the start of the tournament. A part of me kicked in and I thought to myself "I really dont want to lose" so with no hesitation I gave it everything I had. Making mistakes, but we're evenly matched; however I started to get an edge on him. I won that match sending him to the loser's bracket and moving on to the next round. I came back to Katsu and reported my score to him. Now I'm guessing someone didn't show up and he gave me the choice of fighting either someone else... or SonicFox.
I give it some thought and decided to go with SonicFox. "Are you sure?" He said.

"Yeah" I said as I nodded. So immediately I was sent up to face SonicFox. For the most part I didnt feel any type of tension when sitting next to him instead it felt like I was playing regular matches. But I guess that was a problem because after we started the first match, before I had realized what he was even doing he'd already taken a match from me. So I think to myself... "I gotta do SOMETHING. If I'm going to lose, I might as well do it putting up a fight." So I take a different approach to his Phase 4. Interestingly enough I managed to get at least 2 rounds. But even with all that effort resulted in me being sent to loser's bracket.

Later on, I come back to play in order to fight my way out of losers. My next opponent was Nashfan (a Tina player)
then it hit me. The single worst feeling in the world. "Tournament Nerves." Ever been so out of sync with yourself that you end up making more mistakes than you normally would? yeah well... that is what it feels like. I kept freezing up, getting too hesitant about my decisions and began to get reckless. Which got me eliminated from pools. I wasn't upset, I was disappointed. Being on Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion leading to a flawed strategy, usually resulting in becoming over-aggressive.

After being eliminated, I left the lobby and went up to meet an old buddy of mine. Though I was happy to see him I still felt the aching losses I suffered from SonicFox and Nashfan clinging to me. However, I began not to look as it as humiliation but rather education. Failure teaches success. During this time I messed around on KOF XIV. and eventually went back to play casuals with the other DOA players.

SnthdTO.jpg

I really enjoyed coming out to Summer Jam as one of my first tournaments. I really love the community, everyone is friendly and willing to talk to you. No Drama, just the passion we all share for one of the games we love to death. I personally would like to thank each and every single one of you that showed up and helped shape this unforgettable experience for me.

and a big BIG thanks to BIG E (Eric Small) and Tom Lee.

Hope to see you next time.
- YinCrescent [TheWorstKokoro]

P.S Oh... and XCal, the next time you decide to OH me over and over again with Alpha, I'm gonna... [insert threat here]
Happy Birthday ! :D

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD